View Full Version : how to defeat fingerprint sensors

bipolar
November 28th, 2004, 06:12 PM
I just found this on the web about how to fake out fingerprint detectors reliably 80% of the time. I just had to share this with yall. This could have many uses. Here is an article about it, the official paper can be read here. http://cryptome.org/gummy.htm

Fun with Fingerprint Readers

Tsutomu Matsumoto, a Japanese cryptographer, recently decided to look at biometric fingerprint devices. These are security systems that attempt to identify people based on their fingerprint. For years the companies selling these devices have claimed that they are very secure, and that it is almost impossible to fool them into accepting a fake finger as genuine. Matsumoto, along with his students at the Yokohama National University, showed that they can be reliably fooled with a little ingenuity and $10 worth of household supplies.

Matsumoto uses gelatin, the stuff that Gummi Bears are made out of. First he takes a live finger and makes a plastic mold. (He uses a free-molding plastic used to make plastic molds, and is sold at hobby shops.) Then he pours liquid gelatin into the mold and lets it harden. (The gelatin comes in solid sheets, and is used to make jellied meats, soups, and candies, and is sold in grocery stores.) This gelatin fake finger fools fingerprint detectors about 80% of the time.

His more interesting experiment involves latent fingerprints. He takes a fingerprint left on a piece of glass, enhances it with a cyanoacrylate adhesive, and then photographs it with a digital camera. Using PhotoShop, he improves the contrast and prints the fingerprint onto a transparency sheet. Then, he takes a photo-sensitive printed-circuit board (PCB) and uses the fingerprint transparency to etch the fingerprint into the copper, making it three-dimensional. (You can find photo-sensitive PCBs, along with instructions for use, in most electronics hobby shops.) Finally, he makes a gelatin finger using the print on the PCB. This also fools fingerprint detectors about 80% of the time.

Gummy fingers can even fool sensors being watched by guards. Simply form the clear gelatin finger over your own. This lets you hide it as you press your own finger onto the sensor. After it lets you in, eat the evidence.

Matsumoto tried these attacks against eleven commercially available fingerprint biometric systems, and was able to reliably fool all of them. The results are enough to scrap the systems completely, and to send the various fingerprint biometric companies packing. Impressive is an understatement.

There's both a specific and a general moral to take away from this result. Matsumoto is not a professional fake-finger scientist; he's a mathematician. He didn't use expensive equipment or a specialized laboratory. He used $10 of ingredients you could buy, and whipped up his gummy fingers in the equivalent of a home kitchen. And he defeated eleven different commercial fingerprint readers, with both optical and capacitive sensors, and some with "live finger detection" features. (Moistening the gummy finger helps defeat sensors that measure moisture or electrical resistance; it takes some practice to get it right.) If he could do this, then any semi-professional can almost certainly do much much more.

More generally, be very careful before believing claims from security companies. All the fingerprint companies have claimed for years that this kind of thing is impossible. When they read Matsumoto's results, they're going to claim that they don't really work, or that they don't apply to them, or that they've fixed the problem. Think twice before believing them.

Matsumoto's paper is not on the Web. You can get a copy by asking:

Tsutomu Matsumoto <tsutomu@mlab.jks.ynu.ac.jp>

edit: Sorry, I thought it was a new paper or something :confused: I should have known yall would already known of it. Hopefully some people who werent here years ago like me will see it now.

nbk2000
November 28th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Dude...you're so late to the game that you're stepping on the hotdog wrappers blowing across the field. :rolleyes:

How many YEARS ago was this mentioned here?

Jacks Complete
November 29th, 2004, 08:04 PM
It's pretty old stuff, but still not widely known.

I nearly put some identifying info on here then, about what I've done with that info.

It's a good reason why the whole idea of biometric security is a bad one. The lack of key revocation, combined with the effectively infinite number of "keys" you leave behind everywhere, every day, means it is going to get real easy to "become" someone else - just find a fair photo match, and follow them till you get the prints or DNA you need, then become them!

Who would ever dare question the totally secure fingerprint system or the government mandate?