View Full Version : Patron Saint of Explosives

horadrim
November 30th, 2004, 01:59 AM
I have noticed quite a few references to various saints of this or that in on TV shows and in the news media recently. I asked my wife (who is Catholic) what they were saints of but she didn't know.

I looked them up on the internet and there are almost 5000 saints in the Catholic religion.

Anyways, I gather that most people here are not much into religions, but Saint Barbara (http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintb01.htm) is the patron saint against death by artillery; against explosions; against fire; ammunition magazines; ammunition workers; armourers; artillery; artillerymen; bomb technicians; explosives workers; fire; fireworks; fireworks manufacturers; gunners; ordnance workers; saltpetre workers; sudden death

I found it interesting the things they have saints for. Hell, they even have a saint for arms dealers (Adrian of Nicomedia (http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/sainta43.htm) ).

Cordtex
December 3rd, 2004, 08:05 PM
Few years ago I have seen in an arms monthly magazine, an automatic 40mm grenade launcher which was called "Santa Barbara". Now I understand why they named it as such. :)

nuclearattack
December 4th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Yeah! I know a very small city in italy where the patron is saint barbara, infact the city is called Barbara.
In that small city during the patron festivity everybody explode something from crackers to salutes, from acetilene big bags to homemade bombs.
It's very cool!
I have been in that city during the festivity and i loved it! The right place for a HE lover!

tom haggen
December 4th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Oh man I've seen that Italian city on real TV. All the priests are making most of the fireworks by hand. It is very cool :cool:

nuclearattack
December 4th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Eh Eh Eh! When i'm gone to that festivity i had with me some "fireworks" of mine with me... ;)
People that heard the detonation made some strange faces like this :eek: !
It was very funny! :D

Cordtex
December 4th, 2004, 07:42 PM
And I've seen on TV, the same city.. two different groups on different roof tops firing rockets at each others direction.. with laughter and cheering!! The idea of HE during such occasions is pretty nice and worth watching peoples faces, when a different boom is heard than those of the fireworks ;) 8)