View Full Version : Full Auto .22 Sub Machine Gun, Silenced...

cLAN-KILLa
December 8th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Hello everyone.
I have some questions about building a full auto SMG that uses the .22LR subsonic round. I want to build a silencer for it cus I want it quiet :)
First I have a question about the barrel, I was thinking to get the barrel from an .22 airrifle. Have anyone tried to use a airrifle barrel on an small caliber firearm?
Then I want to ask if the .22LR subsonic round can push the bolt back so I can shot full auto. Any comments are welcome.
Thanks and Peace

festergrump
December 8th, 2004, 10:27 PM
cLAN-Killa,

I've just GOT to thank you for posting as I've yet to actually witness the actual feeding sequence of NBK. I heard he's very quick to strike but by no means do I think it's painless. I last saw him trolling about for prey... just recently, in fact.

If you should manage to avoid his jaws remember to "Tuck, duck, and roll" as they taught you last year in the fourth grade...to put out flames. (They also taught you to SEARCH for a way out, didn't they? Shame on them for not driving it through your skull).

Also, NBK might possibly spell "clan" as K.L.A.N. (thought you might like to know). Either way, I take offense to c.L.A.N. Killa as I embrace my Scottish heritage somewhat (My German side wants to conduct expiriments on you, then kill you).

Sarevok
December 8th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Try to contribute a little to The Forum before making a question. And try to search to see if your question wasn't asked before or if there isn't another thread where you can post your question (thus avoiding the need to start a new thread). Also, try to read the books found on the FTP about silencers.

The world is so undisciplined as of lately that, when you tell someone that he must follow a few rules, he thinks you are joking. :eek:

Anthony
December 9th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Your post has been moved to the water cooler, where you have the opportunity to share with us the research and ideas you have amased for this .22 FA project.

I assume you have already come up with a preliminary design for this firearm, and justifiable concluded that it is feasible?

Afterall, you wouldn't come here and ask the members to design for you, the gun that you have decided (on a whim) that you want?

Fester, I assume that he is referring to a Quake etc clan. I'm not familiar (or can find reference to on google) with anything called K.L.A.N, or KLAN apart from the KKK. And I'm sure that started in Tennessee, not Jockland?

tomu
December 9th, 2004, 04:38 PM
1.) It's okay to use an .22 caliber airrifle barrel. The steel is strong enough to withstand the pressure of the .22 lr round if the barrel walls are at least 1,5 mm thick at the breech. The walls of airrifle barrels are normaly much thicker than 1,5 mm.

2.) Cycling depends on the weight of the bolt and the strenght of the return/main spring. If the bolt doesn't cycle reduce the bolt weight or/and weaken the main spring.

But you don't have to use .22 lr subsonic ammo. A gun with a suppressor will only make a popp with normal .22 lr rounds. The subsonic bullet speed is only important for larger calibers or high speed bullets like in hunting gun calibers.

With a full auto gun you need a larger pipe for the suppressor as with a semi auto, to cope with the larger volume of gas during firing.

xyz
December 9th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Tomu, even in .22LR a suppressor needs to be used with subsonic ammunition or some form of speed limiting (short barrel, porting, etc.) to keep the round subsonic.

To illustrate, about a week ago SWIM and a friend of his were rather bored. They decided to pass the time by throwing together a quick and dirty silencer for his .22LR (bolt action rifle with a full 26" barrel). After 2 shots with Winchester Long Z's (subsonic .22LR ammo) which were both even quieter than SWIM's air rifle, SWIM's friend wanted to try a supersonic round in the suppressor. SWIM told him it would be rather loud, but owing to their location at the time this was not a problem at all. So just for experimental purposes SWIM's friend loaded up a round of Winchester Bushman (high velocity .22LR ammo) and let fly.

The supersonic ammunition was only marginally quieter than if there had been no suppressor at all, many many times louder than the subsonic ammunition. Granted, it would have been almost impossible to determine the location of the shooter because sonic crack echoes all over the place, but supersonic ammo is no good for undetected shooting.

tdog49
December 11th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Fester! LOL!
I love you man!

As I am also German/Scottish, I agree with your statement, however my (very small) Indian side says "can I scalp him first????"

As to the subject of a silenced full auto .22lr.---I am a little sympathetic to noobs (this is a weakness, I know, Sorry NBK)
first hint:
Get a hold of an American 180 (coupla grand no prob.....)
second hint:
google P.A. Luty
you really shouldn't have to look any further.

charger
December 12th, 2004, 11:21 AM
cLAN-Killa,

what have you done to research your project? There are many plans and diagrams on the internet and on the ftp that you can look at. You didn't really give us much information. what kind of subsonic ammunition are you using? (colibri, augila sss, etc) What kind of technical skills do you have? What tools do you have access to? open or closed bolt? What are you planning on using as a bolt? How strong is the spring? Is the silencer going to be integral detatchable?

This sounds like it could be an interesting project, but your questions need to be more specific if you're looking for help.

You may wish to look at the following books and texts:

Bill Holmes: 22 machine pistol
P A Luty: Expedient firearms 9mm submachinegun
mini-22 machine pistol (from improvised modified firearms)
J David Truby: zips pipes and pens

variuos books on silencers