View Full Version : where's the hive

zeocrash
December 13th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Ok I went to visit the hive the other day, only to find that both rhodium's site and the hive have vanished. leaving a message saying words to the effect of, we know it's not here, it's not coming back, don't e-mail us about it.
Anyone know what happened or if there will ver be another incarnation??

~Phelixx~
December 13th, 2004, 05:21 PM
There is a huge thread over on MSDB (http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=2389) . Might give you the answer, since alot of old Bees went there after The Hive closed down. :)

Mendeleev
December 15th, 2004, 02:06 AM
This thread at msdb answered very little as to what is going to happen. The hive dissappeared sometime end of october/beginning of November and has been off for about a month and a half now. I remember at first people said it was going to be a week or so to change servers, but it's not back yet. Does anyone know if and when the hive is coming back?

megalomania
December 15th, 2004, 06:45 AM
It would be a great loss to the improvised chemistry community if the Hive dies. This exemplifies the reason why such sites should allow themselves to be archived, or readily downloaded. I stopped disallowing archiving of the site some months ago, and there are distributed archive copies of the database floating around out there. A public downlod is soon to follow…

Archives are tedious to make, in my experience anyway, but the alternative is bleak to say the least. I know The Hive will return, if not in an official capacity then through the individual efforts of former members. If it has to be started from scratch it may take years to recover that which was lost, if ever.

I would consider opening a few new sections on The Forum for drug discussion if it looks like The Hive is down for the count. That or Rogue Science could host a separate forum. If any Hive ex-patriots are interested let me know.

FUTI
December 15th, 2004, 12:27 PM
I'm not member of the Hive forum...this is the first time I heard of it as I didn't research that subject. Just a thought but could Roguesci help them to resurect from the death...after all during iDefensless incident some partial mirror sites of this forum content were obtainable trough the action of "good people with open minds". That could also became a conecting point to all chemistry related forums that certain goverments looks upon as a "stone-in-their-shoe".

Jacks Complete
December 15th, 2004, 06:36 PM
I've already said in another thread that I want to take a copy of the forum and do some Knowledge Management work on it. I could write a script to rip the entire site thread by thread, (but I wouldn't want to get banned for doing it!) until I had the lot. Then, the script could just pull off new threads every day, so the entire site was stored on my drives. That way, I could ensure all the knowledge stays available, no matter what.

The forum, however, wouldn't be intact, since the memberships data, etc. wouldn't be available to the spider. This would allow copies to be sent to any member who asked nicely, rather than running the risk of someone trying to hack the passwords, etc. It would also mean that anyone who wanted to browse 'off-line' could do so without leaving ISP tracks everywhere... and also save some of the server bandwidth!

Edit: If there were to be an extension of these forums, I would suggest that it was kept on a different URL altogether, so that should either one be taken down, the members can go to the other to find out news, etc. and also so that should a part be attacked through legal channels, the other part may continue regardless, as it would be a different entity.

megalomania
December 15th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Did you get my email Jack? I do believe I sent one asking you about this a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, email me with your proposal so I know I have the right address and a fresh copy of what you want.