View Full Version : Secure your Computer

Silentnite
December 19th, 2004, 05:55 AM
Ok, this was kindof addressed elsewhere, but it truly didn't do any kind of justice. I was wondering if everyone has something installed, such as a firewall(Zonealarm comes to mind), a IP blocker(peerguardian is nice), decent Antivirus(kazpersky), and of course the now obligatory spyware blocker(personal pref is Spybot S&D). If anyone needs these i can upload or direct as to where to find the programs. Most firewalls are nice, but if you get an IP blocker it takes care of some other things Zonealarm or others might not catch. Peerguardian is a lowlevel ip blocker, that blocks ranges of IP's that have been compiled into a list. Alphabets, **AA, and several others are the focuses.

Should i have overstepped my humble bounds, may the fleas of a thousand camels fly into my nose. If this doesn't belong please delete.

nbk2000
December 20th, 2004, 08:50 PM
If you have a current key for Kaspersky AV, then I'd appreciate a link to it being posted. :)

FrankRizzo
December 21st, 2004, 02:07 AM
Do you need keys for 5.0.156 or 5.0.16?

Silentnite
December 21st, 2004, 02:48 AM
I don't have a link, but i could post mine? Or should i encrypt it? I downloaded it and a crack from Suprnova. Should I upload it to the FTP?

Silentnite
December 21st, 2004, 03:50 AM
Ok. I'm trying to upload my files to the FTP server. Its in the folder Secure Your Computer. I included Kaz, Zone, Portblocker, and Black ICE.

Marvin
December 21st, 2004, 05:19 AM
Trouble is, everyone downloading the same programs defeats the object, as does downloading it all from a single person.

Silentnite
December 21st, 2004, 06:26 AM
I'm not sure I understand your post. Kazpersky and Zone both have free updates. The keys are universal, if you disable talking back to host, then its fine. Registration can be completed many times. IPBlocker is Opensource with free upgrades obviously. And Black Ice needs no updates that I can remember let alone the key is once again universal. But yeah. I did my best. If it doesn't work fast enough on the FTP try Suprnova.org

Marvin
December 21st, 2004, 10:34 AM
Speaking hypothetically there is nothing to stop someone patching a hole in a firewall and uploading it. In addition if the program goes unpatched and an exploit is found in that version, everyone using the same copy on the FTP provides a corraled target.

I think there is a lot to be said for people using different versions (at the start, kept up to date) of different programs from different sources.

FrankRizzo
December 22nd, 2004, 08:01 PM
If it doesn't work fast enough on the FTP try Suprnova.org

Unfortunately, Suprnova.org has been taken down. Bittorrent has reached a popularity level such that the MPAA has taken notice. Many of the major Finnish and US tracker search engines are also down.

malzraa
December 23rd, 2004, 04:13 AM
Does anyone but me here use linux? Nothing says pig-proof than a steganographic filesystem with encrypted directories that can be wiped and rewritten 5 times at a single keystroke command. Now THAT is secure.

zerok
December 24th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Does anyone but me here use linux? Nothing says pig-proof than a steganographic filesystem with encrypted directories that can be wiped and rewritten 5 times at a single keystroke command. Now THAT is secure.

I use linux and have read some tutorials about encrypted filesystems.
It is possible to encrypt the entire harddisk of your computer. I dont use this system because it takes alot of memory and procesor power.

Pb1
December 27th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Can someone upload a full version of pestpatrol? $60 my ass...

Jacks Complete
January 4th, 2005, 10:55 AM
I use various tricks, but the best one is Knoppix, with an encrypted thumbdrive and the /noswap command. Absolutely everything proof, just turn it off and it is impossible to get anything back, since the /noswap command stops anything being written to disks other than the RAMdrive or your AES encrpyted home directory. You don't even need the thumbdrive unless you want to store data. Just make sure the PC has 256+Mb of RAM and you are sorted. Just pull the plug and that is that. The Knoppix system is burnt onto a CD so can't be hacked for anything useful or persistant - a reboot is always to a known good system!

I surf via various proxies, depending. I have my favourite, of course! I also change my UserAgent string, so even that can't be tracked. Cookies get cleared every so often if I leave the machine up.

Of course, there is little point doing some things. Also, it is easy to get lazy by leaving things too long or whatever. If I was ever to do anything really naughty, I wouldn't be using my own equipment or wires that could be traced back to me. I would use a Knoppixed laptop with wireless, spoofing the MAC address and everything else, then go find a proxy that was poorly configured by using Airsnort or similar and a directional antenna.