View Full Version : The Great Phonecard Scam

Haggis
December 28th, 2004, 11:16 PM
First, I'll give a little background to this. At my workplace, there were a few stacks of Folgers coffee pallets. I think nothing of this, except something caught my eye. On the cardboard tray there were the words "Free 10 minute calling card inside". I though to myself..."This can't be this easy". I climbed on top and peeled back the plastic lid on one. There was no card inside. However, on the foil seal, I noticed a 10 digit alphanumeric code. This, I thought, will be useful. I wrote it down and checked a few other packages. Some had different codes, but a few of them had the exact same one. I write down three of them, and go home for the night.

The rules of the contest state that you can only use this code once per purchase, and only three codes per email address. The fact that I found a couple codes more than once suggests that you can use each code up to three times per email address.

I log on to the website, www.folgers.com/callhome. I see that you must enter information for it. Lame. Then I got a thought... "Dodgeit". I entered random letters for all info and faked some location information. Then, I used the account "folgers1@dodgeit.com". Submit. Easy. There was some minor hassles on the dodgeit.com end, but more on that later. Fearful I would have to enter the same info all over again, I hopefully hit the "back" button. To my surprise, all my info stayed the same.

One can submit the same code to the same email address thrice by hitting submit and back three times in a row. Once I burned the three for folgers1@dodgeit.com, I simply changed it to folgers2@dodgeit.com. You get my drift. I did this all the way to folgers10@dodgeit.com.

On the dodgeit side of things, there was a small problem. The emails were being received fine, but a formatting error would chop off the last few letters off the URL. The rest of the letters were present, but not included in the hyperlink. It may be a problem with Firefox specifically, others may have better luck.

For example, I would get " http://folgers.com/cgi-bin/blitzen/card.cgi?KB4XQ9VEpF_sbytref1@qbqtrvg.p" instead of " http://folgers.com/cgi-bin/blitzen/card.cgi?KB4XQ9VEpF_sbytref1@qbqtrvg.pbz_.shtml " I simply clicked the first link into a new tab, and then typed in the "bz_.shtml" to the location bar. Alas! The code is returned. The 10 number code returned was luckily able to be copied and pasted. I went through all my email addresses with the only hassle being entering in the last part of the URL.

One thing I noticed is that their coding algorithm in the URL is quite weak. I noticed the line 'sbytref1@qbqtrvg.pbz' in the URL was suspicious. Assign the letters of the alphabet a number relative to it's position (eg. A=1, B=2...) The letters are offset by 13. 'sbytref1@qbqtrvg.pbz' becomes 'folgers1@dodgeit.com'. The underscores serve as 'stop' points to designate when the code ends and when the email address ends. With this info in hand, perhaps someone with more skills than I could go about finding a way to manipulate the code portion. One could also write a section of code that would automagically send codes and retrieve them to a list of email addresses.

With and hour and a half of work, I netted 50 codes at 10 minutes a piece. 8 hours and 20 minutes.

Here's a few codes to get you all started... " GFQBGFU7XB " " BFXLUYPBBC " " HBGC8WKMDG "

RTPB: "Anything free must be exploited"

Edit: Yes. They all work. I wouldn't be posting this if they didn't.

LuzRD
December 29th, 2004, 01:33 AM
have you tried any of the codes yet? im wondering if there is a step that may require information from the "dodgeit" information to activate the codes (they so generously gave you). just to know if the info should be madeup in a way thats easy to remember for activation.

Jacks Complete
January 4th, 2005, 11:03 AM
That is so funny! ROT13 encoded is *NOT* encryption!

I assume this is a States based trick? How do you use these codes?

p.s. you can get an extension for Firefox to let you click on multi-line URLs. Extensions rock!

Haggis
January 4th, 2005, 04:43 PM
I don't know if there is much interest in it or what, but it is quite simple. Once you get the codes from the email accounts, you use it like a standard calling card number.

One would dial 1-800-306-7501. They are then prompted for language selection and card number. From there one is home free. Due to the 1-800 prefix, yes, this is a States only trick.

I found it nice as the originating number is not showed with a standard caller ID readout. I know that there are records of your originating number, but it's all layers on layers.

I carry around a printout in my wallet for making calls when I don't feel like being connected to it. When I'm through with a code, I just cross it off the list and go to the next one.

I wrote down a few other codes, if you would like, in order to spread the load around to a few others. It may look suspicious if there is more redemptions for a code than codes were printed.

LJWCAYUVJN H4RBB7YUPP GFKNDXNRPP ERAJSSNABA JYJE4CYAYM HBGC8WKMDG WNMAEFA7DG