View Full Version : Napalm dilvery system

Zyklon_B
June 12th, 2002, 03:08 PM
Does anyone know a way to make an explosive device that spreads the napalm by explosion and then ignites it? So far all I have been able to do is make the explosive put out the fire.

NoltaiR
June 12th, 2002, 03:48 PM
hmmm.. FAE anyone? If you want to pull something like that off quickly with easy chems I would recommend (well I always recommend this) would be to fill a 20oz bottle with your napalm--assuming you aren't one of those kewls who think that napalm is a mix of gasoline and styrofoam--and drop a charge of APrc in it, suspended by electrical leads with some sort of ignition system on the charge. I would say a strand of steel wool ran through the charge and connected between the leads would work well. Allow the system to set for 30 minutes or so to let some of the napalm compound soak into the charge.

This is all assuming that your napalm doesn't dissolve the APrc. Oh well, I am going to try it out just because it sounds like it could work.

xoo1246
June 12th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Thermite is a good starter for napalm. It will also pop/explode a closed container open since it decomposes and vaporises some of the fuel.

<small>[ June 12, 2002, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: xoo1246 ]</small>

inferno
June 12th, 2002, 08:44 PM
Im assuming you classify napalm as petrol/polystyrene or soap flakes. If thats what you classify it as, try using a sparkler as fuse into a spreading charge. A large firecracker or small firework, ignited by a sparkler (burns very hot) will light the "napalm" and the explosion frm the spreading charge will shoot the "napalm" in all directions.

Using BP for the spread charge (eg a firecracker) will not be powerful enough to blow out the stuff i dont think. Careful with this, it will spread fire in a reasonably large radius, and probably ignite any nearby combustibles, including grass and trees.

There are much better ways to amuse yourself than kewl stuff like this

Zyklon_B
June 13th, 2002, 01:45 AM
My napalm is gasoline mixed with soap flakes.

Anyways, will give all the above a try. Thanks alot.

Microtek
June 13th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Try using a spreader charge of Al or Mg flash with a low degree of confinement or coarse grains. This should give a high thermal output and shouldn't spread the napalm so violently thet it doesn't ignite ( or becomes so thinly spread that it burns too fast ).

NoltaiR
September 27th, 2002, 03:00 PM
And here is a big 'go screw yourself' to all those kewls who have always thought that napalm is mixture of styrofoam and gasoline..

From <a href="http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/dumb/mk77.htm" target="_blank">www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/dumb/mk77.htm</a>

Current military napalm is made of..
"Napalm is a mixture of benzene (21%), gasoline (33%), and polystyrene (46%). Benzene is a normal component of gasoline (about 2%). The gasoline used in napalm is the same leaded or unleaded gas that is used in automobiles.
Gasoline is a mixture of hydrocarbons, which burn in an engine. It is a clear liquid, made from crude oil that burns and explodes easily. It naturally contains some benzene (which makes gas smell the way it does). Gasoline is lighter than, and floats on, water, but it will not mix with water. It dissolves grease and oil but will not dissolve polystyrene by itself, more benzene must be added to it. If gasoline is inhaled or swallowed, it can be dangerous or fatal. Breathing it results in an intense burning sensation in the throat and lungs, resulting in bronchitis and, eventually, pneumonia and possibly death. Swallowing gasoline results in inebriation (drunkenness), vomiting, dizziness, fever, drowsiness, confusion, and cyanosis (blue color).

Benzene is a light, colorless, aromatic liquid made from a variety of raw materials, mostly crude oil and coal. In many ways it is similar to gasoline, of which it is a part. The major uses of benzene are in making plastics and other chemicals, not fuel, although it could be used as one. If benzene is breathed or swallowed, it causes throat irritation, rest lessens, excitement, depression, and, finally, convulsions, which can lead to death. A long exposure to benzene vapors (months or years) leads to bone marrow depression and in rare cases, leukemia.

Polystyrene is the white, tough plastic that is used to make cups, plates, and other tableware and food containers. In the pure state it is slightly heavier than water. It dissolves easily in acetone and benzene, but not in gasoline. It is not poisonous; if swallowed it passes unchanged through the digestive tract. But it is possible to choke on it. Heated polystyrene softens at about 185 F. At higher temperatures it turns back into styrene, the chemical from which it was made. Styrene has been tested as toxic to rats. In air, polystyrene melts and burns with a yellow, sooty flame. Styrene itself has a sharp, unpleasant smell that is easy to recognize. "

Anthony
September 27th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Napalm:

NA(phthenate), salt of naphthenic acid (from naphthene) + PALM(itate)

Korfaction
September 29th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Maybe there's no need to be angry about the way people make their napalm. Because napalm as used today are not the original one, the napalm becomes just a generic name for all these shits that burn for a very long time, and used in incendiary devices.

And I know many ways to make napalm other than with styrofoam. One may add soap or orange juice (it works, maybe it's an expensive method though), mineral oil. In a military composition I saw a recipe with some Ti powder (for more heat). (Maybe i don't remember well ?).

By the way, styrofoam is just some polystyrene foam, it's about the same thing but forming bubbles. Why they on fas.org that polystyrene is not solvable in pure gazoline is because of its higher density, it dissolves slowly. Then styrofoan just has the advantage of dissolving without adding benzene.

Of course it doesn't mean that the method you recognize as the only one acceptable is not the best now, but the principle is the same, and everyone doesn't have benzene easily.

[EDIT]: Obscure content clarified

<small>[ September 29, 2002, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Korfaction ]</small>