View Full Version : azodicarbonamide

Bert
January 2nd, 2005, 06:20 PM
A friend was left a large collection of pyrotechnic chemicals from a deceased relative... And asked me to tell him what their pyro uses were, as I know a bit more about it than him.

The only thing I was stumped by was azodicarbonamide. (http://roguesci.org/theforum/search.php?searchid=40809).

A site search found it mentioned as an oxidizer for ageing flour! and a component in an obscure patent for a 2 part explosive mixture (didn't read the patent yet).

Anyone got any other ideas? The dead guy was mostly into high power rocketry... He also had a few "dual use" items good for either pyrotechny or HE manufacture.

(edit)

I read the patent abstract-

What is claimed is:

1. A multi-component explosive composition comprising a mixture of a first fuel comprising 2-ethylhexyl nitrate, a granular solid oxidizer, and an additive capable of lowering the sensitivity of the explosive consisting essentially of azodicarbonamide, said mixture forming a detonable explosive.

2. An explosive composition comprising 2-ethylhexyl nitrate in an amount of 9.65% by weight, aluminum in an amount of 9.65% by weight and ammonium perchlorate in an amount of 80.70% by weight.

3. An explosive composition comprising 2-ethylhexyl nitrate in an amount of about 13.3% by weight, azodicarbonamide in an amount of about 4.8% by weight and ammonium perchlorate in an amount of about 81.9% by weight.

Sounds like it sensitizes ammonium perchlorate, does anyone have any experience with this use? It's not mentioned for such use in connection with rocket fuels in any of my references on that subject. And now to search on 2-ethylhexyl nitrate!

(2nd edit)

Welly welly well!

Cetane Number Improvers (Diesel Ignition Improvers) Cetane number improvers can reduce combustion noise and smoke.
2-Ethylhexyl nitrate (EHN) is the most widely used cetane number improver. It is sometimes also called octyl nitrate.

I drive a truck with a turbo diesel engine... And I've got a nice container of cetane number improver out in the garage. Wonder if the manufacturer would be so kind as to tell me the constituents?

MSDS of cetane improver (http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:txRXTR-eTCYJ:www.fppf.com/msds/msds_8PlusCI.pdf+Cetane+Improver&hl=en)

Could this stuff be an effective, easily obtainable and CHEAP replacement for nitromethane in ammonium nitrate and perchlorate binaries?

Mr Cool
January 4th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Octyl nitrate won't be as good as NM, but it'll certainly be better than fuel oil!

Anyway, I have a few patents on azodicarbonamide, and hydrazodicarbonamide, but only how to make them. I was thinking of nitrate salts, and possibly in using them as intermediates for other things....