View Full Version : Major Addition to Controversial Chem Lab

megalomania
January 2nd, 2005, 06:51 PM
You have all waited patiently for some time while I have been steadily cranking out new explosive synthesis labs. Since I have been waiting until I get done with my current crop of explosives until I finalized the pages there is quite the backlog. I figured the public would benefit better if I published the info in rough draft form rather than hold on to it.

The introductory material and the actual explosive synthesis procedures are finished, although they will require a final editing to check for spelling errors, inverted chemical names, and inaccurate quantities of chemicals. I tried to make every effort when writing to be accurate, but errors do creep in.

If anyone does find a simple mistake or other error please let me know so I can change it for the final version. Please note these labs are not linked to chemicals or equipment. The precursor chemicals for these explosives have not been entered into the synthesis section as of yet.

I have also updated the synthesis section with molecular graphics for most of the precursor chemicals missing one.

I have added about 60 new explosive compounds, some of which include various salts of the parent explosive. These new explosives should increase my website by about 50-60% I believe. I have MANY more explosive labs to write, and I am acquiring new sources of information all the time. All of the sources I used for these explosives are solely published in print, ie. journals, books, and patents. No Internet information was used, so you can be sure of their quality. In addition I will be adding all of my sources to the end of these labs once I format them to the proper citation style in the finished version.

You may find a link to these explosives on my website at www.roguesci.org/megalomania in the explosives section. Here is a list of the new explosives I added:

2,3,4,6-tetranitroaniline
2-ethylhexyl nitrate
3,5-dinitroaniline
3-nitramino-4-nitrofurazan
4-ADNT
ADAP
ADHTDN
ADN
ADNBF
AMMO
BAMO
BDNPA
DAAzF
BDNPF
BEAF
BTNEC
CL-14
CL-18
DAAF
dinitrophenol
DAHzF
DATB
DATNT
DEGDN
DIANP
dimethoxytrinitrobenzene
DINA
DINGU
dinitroaniline
EDNA
DIPAM
dipicryl sulfide
dipicryl sulfone
disilver aminotetrazole perchlorate
DNAN
DNEU
DNHzF
DNI
EDDN
pentanitroaniline
ethanolamine dinitrate
FDNE
FEFO
HAN
hexanitrobibenzyl
HNS
lead styphnate
MEAN
urea nitrate
potassium dinitramide
PYX
styphnic acid
TATB
TEGDN
TMETN
TNEF
TNGU
trichlorotrinitrobenzene
trimethoxytrinitrobenzene
trinitrophloroglucinol

K9
January 2nd, 2005, 07:39 PM
Well I see it's not completely done yet like you said but it looks right now anyways.

xyz
January 2nd, 2005, 08:58 PM
Nice to have the chem lab back... :)

R_Chemist
January 2nd, 2005, 10:35 PM
Wow, such a variety of new compounds. :) Thank you, I have new reading material.

There is a small spelling mistake in the dipicryl sulfide page-"It produces toxic sulfuric dioxide gas upon detonation..." -should read sulfur dioxide.

kbk
January 2nd, 2005, 11:12 PM
yes very nice indeed to have the chem lab back! ive missed it so much!

tom haggen
January 3rd, 2005, 04:29 AM
The lab looks great! Thanks for inspiring all us little guys to learn as much as possible about chemistry. :)
You rule Zorak :p

nuclearattack
January 3rd, 2005, 05:10 AM
Yeah! I was waiting a lot for this! The list of new HE is great...why not to add the DPPP synth?

megalomania
January 3rd, 2005, 01:13 PM
Right now I am focusing on those explosives of commercial and military importance. I am using the BATF's own list of regulated explosives to determine what explosives I should focus on :) I am also adding any additional explosive mentioned in the literature. For example a journal article on TATB may also mention the synthesis of trimethoxytrinitrobenzene. Rather than ignore that I would add a section for this new explosive. I believe on average for every 2 explosives on my list I find one new one I didn't plan on.

Anyway, I do plan on adding DPPP as soon as I can research it on Chemical Abstracts. I don't think the name is right personally, that's why it is so hard to find info on. The German patent should have picked up by Chemical Abstracts, and if so there will be a CAS number that I can use to focus my search.

The_Rsert
January 3rd, 2005, 07:38 PM
I've missed you page also.

But here are some suggestion for improvement:
Maybe you can add also the synthesis instuctions for isopropyl peroxide, methyl ethyl ketone peroxide, other nitrated sugars (for example erythritol tetranitrate, dextrose- and lactose octanitrate), copper fulminate, methyl- and ethyl nitrate, triaminogunidinedinitrate, ethyl hypochlorite, guanidine picrate, ethyl nitrite, isoamyl nitrite, diazomethane, benzoyl peroxide, guanidine styphnate, ammonium sytyphnate, nitromethane, nitroethane, other lead- and copper complex salts (for example lead aceto bromate or tetramminecopper(II)-persulphate) and maybe of some stable esters of perchloric acid (for example ethyl perchlorate).

Heres a little addition for your "Controversial Chem Lab" in the HE section:
Lead 2,4,6-trinitro-3-oxybenzoate has the formula C14H4O18N6Pb and has a mol-weight of 751,4 g/mol.

PS: Maybe, I will test if it's possible to make a stable camphor peroxide, tommorow. (camphor is a ketone). If it's possible, you can add also a synthesis instruction to your homepage.

rational611
January 4th, 2005, 06:29 AM
Meg could you add the synthesis of 3-nitrobenzanthrone, which is a carcinogen, under Chemical Weapons?

mongo blongo
January 4th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Maybe Keto-RDX as there are a few established synths for that. Probably the N'N Dinitrourea -> DHN route is the easiest one. I also read about some Hydrochloride salt of Guanadine Hexamethylentetramine that can also be nitrated.
There should be quite a lot of information on this explosive and urea nitro derivitives in that Journal of Propellants, Explosives + Pyrotechnics which I wouldn't mind reading ;) (espicially the DHN salt as there is no info available on that).
Anyways good work Mega :)

Ricky
August 21st, 2006, 04:09 PM
Nice chemlab page. Today i came up with a suggestion to the dipicryl sulfide manufacture. A aq. solution of sodium hydroxide is stirred to a solution of pricryl bromide (292 g/mol) in a thiol. I don`t know if it work when 9 g of picryl bromide is stirred to a waste of 200 ml hot dimethyl sulfide and a solution of 9 g sodium hydroxide in 140 ml water is stirred in to precipitate the dicicryl sulfide or a solution of 9 g sodium hydroxide in 14 ml water is stirred to a saturated hot solution of picryl bromide in dimethyl sulfide. I have found only a specification to the manufacture of sulfides by that way which will use a aq. solution of sodium hydroxide .
Does anyone have infos to the solubility of pricryl bromide in a thiol or in dimethyl sulfide ?

Ricky
August 23rd, 2006, 03:18 PM
Damn, i meant 9 g of picryl bromide is stirred to 200 ml of hot dimethyl sulfide per 9 g sodium hydroxide in 140 ml 5% sodium hypochlorite.
I found a couple more suggestions to the dipicryl sulfide synthesis. Maybe it will work when 9 g picryl bromide is stirred to 9 g sodium hydroxide in 140 ml distilled water and hydrogen sulfide gas is bubbled through the heated solution for any hours. You can obtain H2S gas when hydrochloric acid is dropped to iron(II)sulfide.
FeS + 2 HCl => FeCl2 + H2S
It should be simple and a little bit toxic. Does anyone know that is correct ?

nbk2000
August 23rd, 2006, 09:24 PM
i is I when referring to yourself. :rolleyes;