View Full Version : Looking for file replacement tool

megalomania
January 23rd, 2005, 05:52 PM
I have an archive of files that I wish to back up, but only as empty 0 bit files with the same name. I need some kind of software that can replace the original files with an empty file. All I can seem to find are the types of replacers that look for text within a file. I need to be able to replace many different file types.

Does anyone know of something that can do this?

Silentnite
January 23rd, 2005, 06:46 PM
Does it have to back up as 0-bit? A wealth of utilities both freeware and otherwise reside at : MajorGeek (http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads3.html)

But do you want the new files to be simple placeholders, and do you want them to be in the same folder? Or do you want to copy over the original.

megalomania
January 23rd, 2005, 09:11 PM
I do want to preserve the file structure by keeping the files in their original folders. I want the original files to be deleted. All I really need are placeholder files of the same name.

megalomania
January 24th, 2005, 12:29 AM
It took me awhile to find the right tool that can do this, but I invented a solution. Using my batch renamer I convert all of my files to text by adding .txt to everything. I then use a batch find and replace tool with a wildcard option to delete all the funky characters. I remove the .txt extention and everything is back to normal.

I tried this earlier, but my replacer tool was not up to snuff in the wildcard department. I had to find another that worked better. Fortunatly for me it was a tool I was already familiar with, but got rid of because it could not do wildcard replacement operations between text blocks.