View Full Version : Airgun + Coilgun?

grayIC
January 25th, 2005, 10:51 AM
This is my first Post here, and I dont think Ive seen similiar post(I've been looking through the entire improvised section while my acc was being enabled), so be nice with me ;).

Anyway, I was thinking of mixing a coil gun with an air rifle. The Airgun will shoot the pellet(iron) through the barrel and the multistage coils will start acceleration the bullet. So basically there is this normal airrifle with 1-4 coils wrapped around its barrel.

Another thing I was thinking about was to actually embedd the coils into the barrel, increasing the fluxdensity of which the barrel passes through? Hard to explain but imagine you cut the barrel in 2 pieces and make a coil between these 2 piecies, smoothen things out, epoxy it etc makes it good... Maybe that would improve the efficiency?

How does this sound for starters? Just a thought Ive had a while. Another question is, how far could a coilgun shoot a 2gram projectile? approx.?

Thx and take care

/GrayIC

Jacks Complete
February 1st, 2005, 08:42 PM
Sure, that would work. Most full-on coilguns use a first section with a pneumatic system.

The hard part is getting the timing right with the coils, and switching at just the right time. Get it wrong, and you will slow the pellet! Get it right, and it should go faster. Each stage adds, so for low velocities, you could add (say) 50m/s with each stage, so with ten stages you would get 500m/s added. Of course, it isn't that simple, since the issues with timing get worse as speeds increase. At high speeds, your flux density won't rise fast enough to add much to the projectile.

I see what you mean about the cut-away barrel. The iron core, however, may mean you fail to energise the coil in time, espcially at higher velocities.

As for range, it depends entirely on angle, final MV, shape of pellet, etc. 2 grams is quite heavy, so it will probably be quite slow. The majority of work will be getting done by the airgun, though. It really depends on how good your coils are.