View Full Version : Roguesci FTP 65.25.15.188 rules and info

megalomania
January 27th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Very soon the FTP will be reopened for general access :) Access will be available to those with over 75 posts at the staffs discretion, or to those who have something valuable to upload. DO NOT post let me in requests here, instead a form will be provided that will send your request to the proper channels.

Anon access will remain open to allow you to browse, and to download anything uncategorized in the root directory. Uploading, as always, is open to all and encouraged...

There are some new rules, and I don't want to hear any whining about how much better djvu files are than pdf! :rolleyes:

RULES OF THE FTP

This FTP site has been provided for the use of the Rogue Science and Explosives and Weapons Forum community. Anonymous access is allowed, but anon users cannot download files from any of the category folders. Anon users can only download files uploaded to the root directory.

Everyone is encouraged to upload their useful material to the FTP, including anon users. Please try to limit your uploads to subjects related to the sciences, military, weapons, engineering, electronic publishing, or other technical topic. This means no music, movies, or games!

Please download and read the FTP-index.txt file to see if a file exists BEFORE uploading something. Duplicates are weeded out manually before they are categorized in their proper sections, and this wastes my time.

There are two ways to get leech access to this FTP: Have 45 posts at The Forum, or upload something unique and useful. What you upload will be considered on a case by case basis, and should be tagged with your name if you want credit. Dupes will only make me angry, but expensive scientific software will almost always guarantee you a leech access account.

If you do tag your files please use “from yourname” instead of “by yourname.” “From” means you uploaded it, “by” means you wrote it. If you are not the author, don’t tag it with “by yourname.”

While not required, please help me out by adhering to the following conventions: Try to name your files to be as descriptive as possible. It is preferred you use the full title of the book, every first letter capitalized, followed by the edition if any, followed by the Authors last name only, followed by the date of publication in parentheses. For example don’t name your file “bg105.pdf,” instead use “Blasting Gelatin Formulations by Michaelson (2005).pdf.”
If you have a large group or related files please place them in a zip or rar archive. If you have a book that is chopped up into individual chapters please try to assemble them into a single pdf file. If you have a djvu, doc, or txt file please convert it into a pdf file if you can (print file to pdf). These are not rules, merely guidelines. I will have to rename, combine, and convert all these files if you don’t, so lend a hand and save me the trouble.

We are trying to organize our collection of books by Library of Congress call numbers. Please don’t add these numbers to the title. We will determine their proper call number if it has one.

Please do NOT upload exe files without a thorough description. Do to the possibility of virii, trojans, and other nasties in unknown exe’s they will be deleted rather than opened to find out what they are. Place such files in a zip along with an nfo document saying what it is and what it does.
Please do NOT upload real media (rm) files as I have no player, nor will I get one. They will be deleted. The same goes for quicktime files since I find the Quicktime player an annoying resource hog that always loads on startup. Get a freeware converter and make media files into avi or mpg files.
Do NOT upload images of your cat, you, hate propaganda, videos of your firecracker going off, or any kind of lame ass crapbook. Do not upload 1mbtest files, css files, icons, or anything nobody can use. Crap like this WILL get you a lifetime ban from both the FTP and The Forum! Use your discretion, if it does not fit within one of the existing categories you probably should not upload it.

nbk2000
January 27th, 2005, 11:50 PM
PS:

Staff exempt from file-type limitations, as we know what's relevant and proper. :)

The_Duke
January 28th, 2005, 01:01 AM
Well that’s good news.
I will start up-loading stuff right away if someone could please tell me how. I have never upped anything and would appreciate some help in doing so. I have a few things to up as of now including; High Explosives Technology and Applications Shaped Charges, Cluster Explosions and Characterization of Ultrashort XUV Pulses and some choice patents as well. I checked the ftp contents to make sure these files are not already up and I can’t find them, so I will up them.

grendel23
January 28th, 2005, 05:32 AM
Obtain and learn to use a good FTP client. I use BulletProof FTP, also popular are CuteFTP, SmartFTP and WS FTP.
Don't try to use a browser for FTP, they claim FTP functionality but are very poor at it.

Jacks Complete
January 30th, 2005, 02:19 PM
grendel23,
unless you are using Firefox, and have the FireFTP extension!

It is a brilliant little FTP prog, free, with no BS and an auto-reconnect setting. Just remember to close the window before connecting to a different host.

malzraa
January 30th, 2005, 03:06 PM
So, if one has enough post you will email one his username and password? Same goes for good uploads?

knowledgehungry
January 30th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Do we use our old password (from the chemwarrior days) or do we need to get a new one?

megalomania
February 1st, 2005, 11:20 PM
To make this go as smoothly as possible I will be opening up the private messaging to allow members to request a username password combo. They will then get a reply from me via instant message. This way we don't have to deal with funky emailing and I will know each members request is coming from them, and not from someone using their name as could happen on a form.

herminiano
February 2nd, 2005, 08:28 AM
To make this go as smoothly as possible I will be opening up the private messaging to allow members to request a username password combo. They will then get a reply from me via instant message. This way we don't have to deal with funky emailing and I will know each members request is coming from them, and not from someone using their name as could happen on a form.

Hi Mega!

According your post, i am tryng to establish contact with you about the new username password combo, but this is impossible to do. A message is the reponse of this action: "The administrator has disable this" or something like that.

Pls, comment as about this, or, in addition, tell as how to resolve. TNKS

see you

herminiano

Gedi
February 2nd, 2005, 10:43 AM
I have been uploading some different army manuals and various e-books I have to the ftp. I have several Computer related books dealing with programming, hacking, and security. I know a lot of users here are very computer savy and was wondering if you would like me to start uploading them.

Thank you,

Gedi

PS great site.

Rhadon
February 2nd, 2005, 11:08 AM
We're not ready for FTP account requests yet, private messaging will have to be enabled first. You'll be informed when we're ready to accept your requests.

nbk2000
February 2nd, 2005, 10:29 PM
The horses are chomping at the bit, eager to begin the race! :)

megalomania
February 3rd, 2005, 01:13 AM
Then let the festivities begin! If you have 45 posts and up or you think you should be allowed in because you are just so awesome just send me a private message today. I will get back to you with your login details once I get word your account has been created.

If you have something to offer you will be considered…

All accounts will be full leech. Yes, I mean 45 posts, I corrected the earlier typo requiring 75+ posts to get in.

To send a private message click on my name (at the top of my thread) and select the "send a private message to megalomania" option from the pop up list.

Now then, I know you lot will not be able to resist the temptation to private message each other :)

Gedi
February 3rd, 2005, 04:01 AM
Well crap, I don't have enough posts/privileges to send a message. Ok, time to start replying I agree to everything ... just kidding.

Will the post count be lowered in the future. I usually do not reply unless I have something pertinent to add, or start a thread unless I have a question.

Thanks

knowledgehungry
February 3rd, 2005, 08:56 AM
I get this message when I try to PM you:

knowledgehungry, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Davo
February 3rd, 2005, 09:11 AM
Please do NOT upload real media (rm) files as I have no player, nor will I get one. They will be deleted. The same goes for quicktime files since I find the Quicktime player an annoying resource hog that always loads on startup. Get a freeware converter and make media files into avi or mpg files.

Mega, I have the Kazaalite Mega Codec pack, which contains just about every codec that you can think of. It also allows you to view quicktime and real media in W.M.P - no downloads of crappy players required :)

I have no idea what the URL was but i'll upload it to the FTP for anyone that wants to give it a go. (Its a .exe file and I've personally ran a virus check to make sure no virii are present however I encourage anyone to do a similar test as I will take no responsibility if one slipped by)

Ropik
February 3rd, 2005, 10:00 AM
I haven't permission to send a message. Otherwise, I will upload Vladimir Vasiliev "Fighting from the ground" when I get access.

herminiano
February 3rd, 2005, 11:12 AM
Then let the festivities begin! If you have 45 posts and up or you think you should be allowed in because you are just so awesome just send me a private message today. I will get back to you with your login details once I get word your account has been created.

All accounts will be full leech. Yes, I mean 45 posts, I corrected the earlier typo requiring 75+ posts to get in.

To send a private message click on my name (at the top of my thread) and select the "send a private message to megalomania" option from the pop up list.

Now then, I know you lot will not be able to resist the temptation to private message each other :)

Hi, Mega.

I have this response, too.

herminiano, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Log Out Home

This is the message that appear when i tray to send a private message to obtain the new id/pwd.

is there any problem with the bulletin system?

We follow you directions.

Herminiano

megalomania
February 3rd, 2005, 01:51 PM
Well, it looks like I will have to tinker with the private message system a bit more. It worked fine for me...

Thanks, Davo, that codec pack should come in handy.

EDIT: The problem has been rectified. Users may now send PM's.

Mumble
February 3rd, 2005, 10:59 PM
The private messaging officially works, for me at least. I got no error messages and hopefully things are good.

aikon
February 4th, 2005, 01:04 AM
Well, PM works for me too.
It would be nice to see the PM as a permanent feature. ;)

teshilo
February 4th, 2005, 02:18 PM
How sent private message for got new password/account? :(

aikon
February 11th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Is there any progress in the distribution of the FTP passwords? In other words: Does anyone received a password via PM from Mega, or is the FTP still in the rearrange mode?

10fingers
February 11th, 2005, 02:11 PM
I asked for a password about a week ago but have not received it yet. However the ftp no longer asks me for a password. I have tried a dozen times to get somehting from there and everytime I try to download I get this message " this page cannot be displayed". It's very irritating!
Anyway it's a shame that many people have spent a lot of time to scan things and upload them to the ftp and the damn thing doesn't work. I have some good info I could upload but I wouldn't waste my time if no one can access it.

Corona
February 11th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Not just with downloading...

I would also like to upload a bit now and then but when I tried it last I couldn't even send a whole 6 MB file (I don't remember what it was but Mega had asked for it). It should've taken me not more than a minute or two, yet it occupied itself for the whole day and then conked out halfway.

This has been the state of affairs since some time now and I would rather not be embarrassed by leaving files like "corona 2nd try" or "corona 3rd try" all over the place.

teshilo
February 15th, 2005, 12:56 PM
I sent few private messages to Mega few days ago and nothing...

10fingers
February 17th, 2005, 03:24 AM
FTP=Fix The Problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

megalomania
February 17th, 2005, 04:51 PM
The nativs are getting restless :) Good news is on the way. If you have not gotten your PM yet, you will.

10fingers
February 19th, 2005, 12:06 AM
OK! I got my password. Thanks.

herminiano
February 19th, 2005, 07:02 AM
I have the id/pwd. Everyone with the id/pwd: is time to work. Common!!!

Tnx M.

herminiano
February 20th, 2005, 06:33 AM
Hi mega!!

i can download perfectly, but when i want upload, the host says "550 Permission denied.".

Pls, tell me when this bug is fixed. i have some stuff.

at your service

herminiano

herminiano
February 21st, 2005, 06:01 AM
Mega:

In adittion to my messages putted before, let me to show the following thing:

i have problems with the uploads when i use my id/pwd, but i have no problems when i upload like an "anonymous" user. It seems that the (all?) id/pwd have the "upload" denied.

is this correct?

i think prefferable to upload with the id/pwd.

see you

herminiano

megalomania
February 22nd, 2005, 12:23 AM
Right you are, there was a conflicting rule getting in the way. It is fixed now.

Third_Rail
February 22nd, 2005, 08:18 PM
I logged on as anonymous to look at the listing. I do believe this is what was envisioned when people once spoke of "freely given knowledge"!

What a treasure of information!

chochu3
February 28th, 2005, 05:02 AM
Now you will have more peeps posting useless info just to make the quota and get full-leach access on the other hand it will up bandwidth.

Ropik
March 1st, 2005, 04:32 AM
When I try to upload, "permission denied" shows every time. Can I do something with it?

megalomania
March 1st, 2005, 02:34 PM
It should be fine... The only place uploads are allowed is the root directory, that is where you are trying to put it right?

Ropik
March 1st, 2005, 03:08 PM
Yeah, that where I'm trying to put it(damn, 500 MB through slow connection...). However, now it seems fine and I am uploading.

teshilo
March 4th, 2005, 08:50 PM
I got my pass id . Thanks.Only this small problem :rolleyes: :rolleyes: control connection closed

Hemisync
March 4th, 2005, 09:40 PM
As of 20:41 Eastern Standard Time the ftp seems to be down.

Or is it just very busy ?

Sam
March 5th, 2005, 11:05 PM
I'm having a bit of trouble at the moment.

I can log into the FTP anonymously, but I can't download a thing, not even the uncategorized stuff (e.g. I transfer a file and it says 'transfer failed'). Using my account details that I received a few months back, I can't even log in.

I'm using FlashFXP most of the time, but I have tried bulletproof and IE to see if they work, to no avail. Any help with this is greatly appreciated of course.

Silentnite
March 5th, 2005, 11:26 PM
You have to request access from Mega, and depending on your circumstances(post count, worthiness, and general whim of Mega). The general rule is 45 posts. But only your posts outside the water cooler count, and generally the M(g)ODS would like it if its on-topic and contributes something.

But yeah, ask Mega, and he may or may not depending on his mood. Good luck.

P.S. Uploading is always allowed, your applying for membership to be able to leech or download.

Sam
March 6th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Then I assume the account I received approximately a few months back, has become obsolete?

Silentnite
March 6th, 2005, 02:17 AM
In short, Yes it is invalid. I believe. In long... Well, here is Mega*s post at the beginning:

Very soon the FTP will be reopened for general access :) Access will be available to those with over 75 posts at the staffs discretion, or to those who have something valuable to upload. DO NOT post let me in requests here, instead a form will be provided that will send your request to the proper channels.

Anon access will remain open to allow you to browse, and to download anything uncategorized in the root directory. Uploading, as always, is open to all and encouraged...

Anything else youll have to go to him for. Obviously. I have been told that me explaining something is the blind leading the blind. :p

Third_Rail
March 11th, 2005, 01:28 AM
I don't mean to be a twit Mega, but is it 45 posts or 75? Your first post has both as the number needed.

Third_Rail
I don't mean to be a twit Mega, but is it 45 posts or 75? Your first post has both as the number needed.

Third_Rail

The_Duke
March 11th, 2005, 02:49 AM
Then let the festivities begin! If you have 45 posts and up or you think you should be allowed in because you are just so awesome just send me a private message today.

Although I’m not mega I’m sure it is 45 posts to get access.

BTW, Industrial Nitrogen Compounds and Explosives By G. Martin and W. Barbour is now on the ftp. :cool:

The_Duke
Then let the festivities begin! If you have 45 posts and up or you think you should be allowed in because you are just so awesome just send me a private message today.

BTW, Industrial Nitrogen Compounds and Explosives By G. Martin and W. Barbour is now on the ftp. :cool:

The_Duke

Silentnite
March 11th, 2005, 03:20 AM

He restated it later in an subsequent post. However redundant that sentence just was...

Silentnite

He restated it later in an subsequent post. However redundant that sentence just was...

Silentnite