View Full Version : circular charges

Neil McCauley
December 16th, 2001, 08:52 AM
I have a simple question: if you make a circular/frame shaped charge e.g. by putting a piece of det cord in a shape and the beginning and end meet each other, where and how do you attach the detonator?
Because the detonator should always point in the direction of the end of the explosive charge, that is the direction in which you want the shockwave to move.
Can you put it just anywhere and reliably iniate the det cord? And will the shockwave go both ways, or just one. And if so, won't the explosion blow the end of the det cord away before the shockwave reaches it?
So, how do you iniate a circular shaped charge?

Mr Cool
December 16th, 2001, 09:08 AM
Well if you have a ring of det cord, the only place you can initiate it from is a point on the ring.
I'm sure you didn't need a new post to ask this, there are several threads on shaped charges... although your LOW EXPLOSIVE shaped charge is interesting. Not a good choice of section, IMHO.

------------------
"Nothing makes a man fear much, more than to know little." - Francis Bacon.

Anthony
December 16th, 2001, 02:54 PM
If you have a ring of det cord, no matter which way you point the cap, it's going to be pointing along the cord. Yes the detonation wave will proagate in both directions.

Agent Blak
December 16th, 2001, 04:11 PM
I would just have "Q" style tail and attache the Cap to the tail. But what do I know right.

------------------
A wise man once said:
"If You Dance With The Devil,
The Devil Don't Change The devil will Change you"
Agent Blak-------OUT!!

Go <a href="http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/agent_blak">here</a> to download my files.

nbk2000
December 16th, 2001, 04:46 PM
Exactly Agent Blak.

Just take a short length of Det-Cord and tie it around your loop using a prussick knot or clove hitch.

Attach the detonator to the tail and off you go.

I also assume your using a proper tamping mass?

Also, this is more appropriatly suited to Improvised Weapons so I'm moving it there.

------------------
"I have begun evil, I shall end evil. That is the end that awaits me."

Go here (http://briefcase.yahoo.com/nbk2k) to download the NBK2000 files and videos.