View Full Version : Asprin toSodium Salycillate

-Colza-
July 30th, 2001, 04:56 AM
just a thought but does any one know if it is possible to turn asprin (acetyl salysillc acid?) in to sodium salysillate for whistle mixtures? http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/confused.gif

FadeToBlackened
July 30th, 2001, 01:45 PM
I was thinking the same myself. You could get the acid by purifying the aspirin a la picric acid, but i dont know how the acetyl group would affect it or how to remove it. But You would react the acid with some NaHCO3, NaOH, or Na2CO3.

deezs
July 30th, 2001, 03:11 PM
Why do you want to start from aspirin? Sodium salycilate is used as a preservative. Your grandmother surely made a lot of bottled fruit with it. In eastern europe you can buy it in supermarkets. It is said to be better, than sodium-benzoate, so I think you can get it easily in other countries too.
If you are so fuckin rich, you can start from aspirin. The convertion to sodium salycilate can be done in one step.
Boil it with an excess of NaOH (more than 2 moles of NaOH for one mol aspirin) solution. The aspirin will dissolve in the lye. If the reaction is complete, you will have a solution of sodium salicylate, and sodium acetate, and of course, there will be some NaOH too...
If you are still interested, perhaps I will try to search a method for purification. But I think you had better to go to the supermarket, and search between the preservatives. You could try to use aspirin, in stead of it.
What are the other components in this whistle mix?

------------------
"Don't belive anything, just because there is a good proverb for it."

[This message has been edited by deezs (edited July 31, 2001).]

cutefix
July 31st, 2001, 05:34 AM
Why not use salicylic acid instead.It is available in pharmacy,it is used in treatment of some skin desease.You can possibly neutralize it with common sodium bicarbonate or carbonate.

deezs
July 31st, 2001, 01:50 PM
If you buy it in a supermarket, that will be surely cheeper.You don't have to pay for the work of the pharmacist. Not so pure, but If it is Ok for foods, it will be good for whistling mixes too.
What kind of mixtures contain sodium salycilate?

------------------
"Don't belive anything, just because there is a good proverb for it."

"To avoid injury in a battle, watch them from the nearer hill."

-Colza-
August 3rd, 2001, 07:05 AM
Whistle comp.
KClO4 64%
NaC7H5O3 (sodium salicylate) 32%
Fe2O3 1%
Petroleum Jelly 3%

This method I have here says the petroleum jelly is to counter the hygroscopic sodium salicylate. It also says to dissolve it in 4 parts its weight in toluene. There MUST be a better way than this!

FadeToBlackened
August 3rd, 2001, 01:11 PM
The toluene I assume is to thin it down so it is easier to mix. You could probably use some mineral spirits/paint thinner, as they often contain toluene and xylene.