View Full Version : Bringing home the guns

Silentnite
February 10th, 2005, 07:51 PM
My buddy is over in Iraq right now, and he has several Machine guns he wants to bring back. He has: sterling sub machine gun, an ak foldable buttstock fully auto, sub water ak made especially for fireing under water, an ak rep a bueatiful hand gun from sadams palace, an iraq flashbang grenade... And apparently more then that.

So basically the question is, does anyone know how to get them back through customs? I asked about breaking them down and coating in oil and he says its a no-go. Also no suveniors.

I said just send me pieces. :rolleyes:

MightyQuinnŽ
February 10th, 2005, 09:55 PM
To the best of my current knowledge, bringing them home will be the least of the worries. For a normal transferred NFA weapon you need to complete a Form 4 (Application For Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm), this must be signed by the Chief Law Enforcement Officer in your locale. You also need to submit, in duplicate, a complete set of fingerprints and palm prints and passport-size photos. Great care should be taken with this venture as the repercussions would be a felony offense.

That being said and getting back on topic...I suggest a diplomatic pouch if it is available.....they are exempt from customs inspection.

This link gives more information about moving back to the USA with firearms:

http://www.hqusareur.army.mil/opm/guns.htm

Edit: Found this on that link above....might shed a ray of light.

"ATF F 5330.3B Application and Permit for Importation of Firearms, Ammunition and Implements of War (for use by members of the US Armed Forces)"

festergrump
February 11th, 2005, 12:56 AM
As far as the AKs go, and as far as I can foresee (I never went military and don't know the woes) the only thing that's going to present a problem is a functional reciever if he doesn't want to go through all the BATF flaming hoops, only to be rejected. If he's going to try to bring it back and present himself as trying to be legal about it-- remove the reciever in a completely destructive way (torch cut it to oblivion with all the internal workings out of it, but leave the front trunion and rivets intact so it's obviously non-functional). Now it's essentially a "parts kit" which is BATF legal. (I'd not go this route for the palace prize, myself, and opt to find a really good buyer for it right there, instead. Doesn't he need a couple of camels and a goat? :rolleyes: Just kidding).

After he mails the parts kit(s) home and customs releases it (in a couple of years) he can either take it to a gunsmith and have the them assemble him a semiauto with the kit and some US made parts and when he gets it home install the select fire control group and all the original parts with which it came, or attempt a rebuild himself. (Note: He'll want to buy and aftermarket stock if he has a gunsmith do the work for him as the gunsmith will weld any folding stock in an open position for it to be legal. Also, the barrel must be 16 inches or they'll weld or silver-solder a barrel extention or extended muzzle-brake on there for him).

Rebuilding an AK is not SUPER difficult, but it does present problems when attempting this yourself from a blank or a flat. Most problems come from accessability of proper tools and selecting a really good reciever blank. Flats (which you bend yourself) can become much trouble. Trunion holes, magazine wells, and lower rails often need lots of attention before they'll line up or work properly. 80% complete bent blanks have no holes drilled at all. Figure out which you'd prefer to struggle with and go from there. Once THAT obstacle is overcome, you'll have to contend with finishing your new reciever. Baked on or other?

Most places where you can purchase a flat and rails from have at the very least problems with The left side lower rail being too large at the ejector. This is because the rail is meant to be for an AK 74 build which chambers the .223 or first be ground down before hardening for the 7.62x39 round to cycle properly.

If your buddy has no difficulties with the law, and I assume he doesn't since he's in the military, I'd pay the penny and have a respectable smith do it, but question him extensively beforehand on just what will be neccesary to have done (and undone at home).

I cannot help much with the grenade. All I can offer is make sure it is completely and positively inert and ship it in parts. Customs will probably keep it but it might be worth a try.

Hope your buddy has lots of luck on his side, as they're really looking for this sort of thing ("bringing home the guns") these days post 9-11. :( Doubtful any of what you suggested will get here without either legal means or some really good friends in other countries bordering... [I]Tu amigo sabe una persona en Mexico quien comprende que vosotros neccesitamos? (translation, though my spanish is poor: Your friend know a person in Mexico who understands what you all need?)...

c0deblue
February 11th, 2005, 01:22 AM
BATFE and State and and local law enforcement are only part of the red tape involved. Last I heard, an import license/certificate from the Department of Commerce is also required for any and all military or ex-military weaponry (or accessories) brought into the US. This is true even if the importation involves only one or several guns or accessories, although it's worth checking to see if there's a possible exemption for military personnel. In any case, the best source of information on the best ways to navigate the rules is probably within the military itself - this isn't the first time the question has come up, and doubtless there are people who know the ropes and are willing to provide sound advice. That said, the chances are that even if your friend is a career soldier, he'll be retirement age before the bureaucratic paper shuffle is finished, so he shouldn't get his expecations up or pursue the matter too vigorously unless it won't cost him a lot of (nonrefundable) money to try. Good luck to him, and let us know how it turns out.

Silentnite
February 11th, 2005, 03:13 AM
A lot of help guys. Seriously. I'll let him know your ideas and keep you posted. He really only wants to bring the sterling back. The others are just Icing on the proverbial cake.

I appreciate it. Thanks again.

EDIT: The local sporting goods place down the road sells a semi auto AK-47 replica. I think. I do know its AK-47, but the semi is a guess.

me234
February 15th, 2005, 01:12 AM
Is your friend set on bringing it over "legally", or does he prefer to retain these "weapons" without the "government" "knowing " about them?

(Please note, this is a purely hypothetical discussion)

If he is in the military, will they search his kit before he gets on his plane ride back to the World from Iraq. Will he have to catch a commercial flight (read: customs) or can he possibly catch a military flight (read: no customs, only MP's).

If he can maybe hop a C-130 carrying some form of cargo back home (he could volunteer for the duty) he might not have his shit search before taking off and after leaving.

But he may want to check how these things work first, especially considering that I have NO military experience.

Good luck to him, I "hope" he does it.

Silentnite
February 15th, 2005, 01:36 AM
Yes, he is interested in the legal way. They do search EXTENSIVELY before they allow the soldiers to get on any kind of plane. The U.S. Gov, has made it very clear that they don't want any guns coming back. Although why we should leave them there doesn't make sense to me... But hey, one more way to control the people who want to Legally own the guns.

Beyond that, I've suggested "alternative" ways of bringing them home. But he doesn't seem to keen on the idea. Not to mention that all forms of communication over there are tapped.

In the end I think its a lost cause, although they are all Beautiful weapons, I doubt in the long run that it'll ever come to fruition.

Again, thanks for the help.

me234
February 18th, 2005, 01:08 AM
He could always stash them over there for a while, then come back and try again, maybe even ship them over in a box of car parts or some such customs confusing shit.

how about a REALLY BIG safety deposit box?
Just kidding.

Caching somewhere secure if he can???

Damn, this is a horrible question, I feel depressed every time I think about a bunch of guns not being kept and used

Silentnite
February 18th, 2005, 04:16 AM
Apparently the U.S. government would rather us leave all the guns and ammo there. It's smart to give your friends weapons, and then call them enemies for using said guns you supplied them with *coBUSHugh*.

I'm sorry to see those guns have to stay there. Maybe we'll find a way...

Cyclonite
February 23rd, 2005, 05:37 AM
Well if its not too late...heres my 5 cents. Iv been to iraq and back...the best way with no hookups with the flyers is send it home piece by piece. Some of the larger parts you can buy over in the us since its not considered a firearm unless it has certain parts. Beware though....my friend got courtmarshled for sending an AK back.

Third_Rail
February 23rd, 2005, 12:47 PM
sub water ak made especially for fireing under water

Really? :rolleyes:

I'll buy that he's seen the rest though may not directly have them. If he has them, where is he keeping them?

Soldiers aren't allowed to just "have" extra stuff like that.

nbk2000
March 3rd, 2005, 06:36 PM
How about bringing back $200 million? :D

Read the story and pray to all the evil gods in the world to punish these morons for fucking it off so badly! :mad: