View Full Version : Info on Potassium Picrate

Madog555
December 22nd, 2001, 11:10 AM
Hello, there is very little info on this explosive. i couldn't even find a patent for it. there is a method for its production on megas site but its vague. i was wondering if it would be a good initiator, anyone have any info on it like sensitivity, stability and VOD? it was also mentiened in the pfp data base in a 50/50 mix of it with KNO3. its a type of whistle mix.

Anyways i had a little dream about it. here it is:

i put some potassium carbonate in a test tube. i added a little water and shook it to disolve the potassium carbonate. then i added a little TNP, there was a little reaction. some crystals precipitated out and i filltered them and let them dry. they burn quite fast and violently. they were a very bright yellow. i put the rest in a .22 shell caseing and it when bang. but i couldn't find any of the case so i'm not sure if it blew it apart. i woke up before i could look better for it.

im gona have to take a nap and have another dream. i will follow megas directions better next time

edit: i put it in this section because it is used in pyrotecnics and i want to know if it will be good for detonators.

------------------
"To live is to suffer, to survive... well thats to find meaning into suffering." -DMX

[This message has been edited by Madog555 (edited December 22, 2001).]

Madog555
December 22nd, 2001, 09:45 PM
hey, i found a bit of info on this in a post. also, i just woke up from a nap, i had another dream http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif

here is some info on its sensitivity that HNIW posted a while back

originaly posted by HNIW:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
m. p. 250C, a. temp. 331C, using 2kg dropped from 21cm, 10.5 oscilations</font>
(the oscilations is a flame sensitivity test. im pretty sure that it is a torch on a pengulum and it swings over a pile of explosive. BP has an osscilation of 3 and NC is 1)

here is some info i gathered in my dream:

Properties of Potassium Picrate: color: bright yellow crystal shape: needle behavior to flame: deflagigrates(sp?) violently makeing smoke. has a purple-orange flame. acts kind of like a pyrotecnical composition. sounds like flash when it burns without confinement.

------------------
"To live is to suffer, to survive... well thats to find meaning into suffering." -DMX

[This message has been edited by Madog555 (edited December 22, 2001).]

Lagen
December 23rd, 2001, 09:07 AM
It has been suggested for use in mixture with PETN in DDT detonators, US PAT# 4,316,412.

Madog555
December 23rd, 2001, 09:18 AM
that sounds good, i looked at the patent. i might have to dream about that http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif

------------------