View Full Version : safety distances

steelhead
February 16th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Anyone got opinions on the safe distance to observe a charge of 1 Kilogram of ANNM on ? 500 Meters maybe ?

The charge will be fired in a old sand pit.

I am going to use safety fuse , it burns at a rate of 30 cm per minute.

Brakkie
February 25th, 2005, 09:20 PM
It depends. How deep is the sandpit??
Well I once detonated about 500 grams of ANNM and I was about 100 or 150 meters away. You'll still feel the shockwave quit hard. So I guess you should be about double of that. So 500 meters wouldn't be that bad. But if you got the room to get further than go further. It can't hurt only do good. You should add at least 0,5 meter of fuse on to that. Just to make sure you get to a nice spot. ;)

sjaak
February 27th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Yes i think 500 meters is far enough.
When i detonated a 50 gram ANNM charge i was about 20 further and my ears were beeping and i could feel the pressure in my face so 1 kilo is meaga powerful like brakkie says 0,5 meter fuse would be fine

steelhead
March 2nd, 2005, 09:49 AM
It is not so very deep, it is carved in to a slopy hillside.
It is located a looooong out in the bush.....

Myrol
March 9th, 2005, 01:45 PM
1kg ANNM? Maximum 60m if you wanna feel the Blast really good. My closest Blast ever were 40g ANNM and I was 4m away!! Yes I know that was VERY close...and the Shockwave hit my entire body like a huge fist, but with plugged Ears...No Problem :D !

It depends in wich way you want to fell the Charge....hard, loud and impressive than go for less than 60m. Dull, soft and like a "quiet" thunder from a great distance away than use something like 400-1000m.

I prefer mostly the first choice. Reminds me to 400g ANNM where I was 15m away...Hu haaa, Just be gentle!

Myrol
1kg ANNM? Maximum 60m if you wanna feel the Blast really good. My closest Blast ever were 40g ANNM and I was 4m away!! Yes I know that was VERY close...and the Shockwave hit my entire body like a huge fist, but with plugged Ears...No Problem :D !

It depends in wich way you want to fell the Charge....hard, loud and impressive than go for less than 60m. Dull, soft and like a "quiet" thunder from a great distance away than use something like 400-1000m.

I prefer mostly the first choice. Reminds me to 400g ANNM where I was 15m away...Hu haaa, Just be gentle!

Myrol

Bert
March 9th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Add to your consideration the dangers from both direct and indirect missiles. That is, debris launched straight at you, and debris launched in an upward trajectory that may fall on you even when sheltered behind a barricade. Being hit by a rock at a couple of hundred meters/second can just ruin your whole day-

Bert
Add to your consideration the dangers from both direct and indirect missiles. That is, debris launched straight at you, and debris launched in an upward trajectory that may fall on you even when sheltered behind a barricade. Being hit by a rock at a couple of hundred meters/second can just ruin your whole day-

Bert

tom haggen
March 9th, 2005, 03:33 PM
safe distance in feet = 300 * (pounds of explosives)^(1/3)

tom haggen

tom haggen

Silentnite
March 9th, 2005, 04:51 PM
If my calculations are correct then, for 1kg of ANNM(roughly 2.2lbs) the safe distance would be ~390meters.

300*((2.2)^(1/3))= Safe. From everyone elses posts, it would appear that this falls within a decent safety distance, as it was stated prior that about 500 meters would be safe.

But remember, safe distance is nice, but how far does your camera zoom? :p

Silentnite
If my calculations are correct then, for 1kg of ANNM(roughly 2.2lbs) the safe distance would be ~390meters.

300*((2.2)^(1/3))= Safe. From everyone elses posts, it would appear that this falls within a decent safety distance, as it was stated prior that about 500 meters would be safe.

Silentnite

Jacks Complete
March 10th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Why on earth would you want to be holding the camera? Just pop it at a good spot, hit record, light the fuze and leave.

Try to ensure there are no dense rocks nor metal bits that are going to come straight for you, either.

Jacks Complete
Why on earth would you want to be holding the camera? Just pop it at a good spot, hit record, light the fuze and leave.

Try to ensure there are no dense rocks nor metal bits that are going to come straight for you, either.

Jacks Complete

steelhead
March 10th, 2005, 04:13 PM
well, cameras can be sheilded by a piece of 15 mm lexan in the front , and sandbags arund the sides....

And wearing a hard hat and goggles is a good idea.....

steelhead
well, cameras can be sheilded by a piece of 15 mm lexan in the front , and sandbags arund the sides....

steelhead

Guerilla
March 10th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Well if the risk of fragments and heavier falling debris can be ruled out (eg. on a swamp-like ground), that distance is definately overkill in terms of practicality. Especially if the charge is fired by a fuse; I do not know the surroundings of your detsite but leaving even a remotely large charge unwatched for any lengths of time in an area where you cannot pick your audience, is not a very good idea. It don't have to thorn anyone into pieces, scaring the shit out of some nearby walker is enough to get you in deep trouble.

Even though the area I do most of my tests in, has most likely more bears than people inside it, I prefer to use an electric ignition and thus have the choice of setting the charge off exactly when I want if I want, keeping a clear sight to the target at all times. If I have to do something closer to population, I place "doorbells" on the main trails coming to the detsite, consisting of a tripwire and small amount of flash, just enough to make an audible noise from a few hundred meters. Of course they wont be left there, I attach a slowburning fuse to each of them that will set them off by the time I'm already gone. The chance of having uninvited guests is smaller. Call me a paranoid, but better safe than sorry. ;)

So far I've gotten along with a 50m extension cord when shrapnels don't pose a problem, the shockwave from a 2kg charge at this distance is apparent, obviously, but its not like it would burst your eardrums or anything...such experiment on a normal morainic type ground could be suicidal, though, so dont do that unless you are *completely* sure the soil is free from rocks.

If you have no particular task for the charge that would force you to place it into a debris generating media, then simply bury it deep in soft soil and retire to a reasonable distance(no need to run several hundred meters). Firing it underwater would be the best option if you want to feel the shockwave well, safely.

Guerilla
Well if the risk of fragments and heavier falling debris can be ruled out (eg. on a swamp-like ground), that distance is definately overkill in terms of practicality. Especially if the charge is fired by a fuse; I do not know the surroundings of your detsite but leaving even a remotely large charge unwatched for any lengths of time in an area where you cannot pick your audience, is not a very good idea. It don't have to thorn anyone into pieces, scaring the shit out of some nearby walker is enough to get you in deep trouble.

Even though the area I do most of my tests in, has most likely more bears than people inside it, I prefer to use an electric ignition and thus have the choice of setting the charge off exactly when I want if I want, keeping a clear sight to the target at all times. If I have to do something closer to population, I place "doorbells" on the main trails coming to the detsite, consisting of a tripwire and small amount of flash, just enough to make an audible noise from a few hundred meters. Of course they wont be left there, I attach a slowburning fuse to each of them that will set them off by the time I'm already gone. The chance of having uninvited guests is smaller. Call me a paranoid, but better safe than sorry. ;)

So far I've gotten along with a 50m extension cord when shrapnels don't pose a problem, the shockwave from a 2kg charge at this distance is apparent, obviously, but its not like it would burst your eardrums or anything...such experiment on a normal morainic type ground could be suicidal, though, so dont do that unless you are *completely* sure the soil is free from rocks.

If you have no particular task for the charge that would force you to place it into a debris generating media, then simply bury it deep in soft soil and retire to a reasonable distance(no need to run several hundred meters). Firing it underwater would be the best option if you want to feel the shockwave well, safely.

Guerilla

Sundried
March 14th, 2005, 05:23 PM
I've got a table of safe distances based on weight of charge for above ground blasting from a 1953 Demolitions Army technical manual. I'll post it later.

Sundried
I've got a table of safe distances based on weight of charge for above ground blasting from a 1953 Demolitions Army technical manual. I'll post it later.

Sundried