View Full Version : Video file splitter

akinrog
February 20th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Dear Friends,
I know this is non-E&W related, but I have question. I am using nero (ultra edition 6.6) to create VCDs. However, I have large DIVx files which do not fit on the VCDs. I have video editing software too but they are all recompressing the video file to create two smaller files which fit in VCDs (and video quality becomes poor for some reason). I just would like to know how to split the files without recompressing /processing them (which is very time consuming process.)

Anybody knows such a tool. Or I am missing something with nero.?

Silentnite
February 20th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Nero probably won't do it for you. In fact I'm almost sure of it. I forget what I use, as I am currently at a friends computer, or else I could look at my desktop. But the utility will take your video file and you can specify how small you want it, and where you want it split, and how many times. So you could have a 1gig file, split into two files of 500mb and 500mb, or 700 and 300mb. Or take it and make 1 file of 700mb compressed. You choose the quality. I'll edit this as soon as I get a chance to go home.

Corona
February 21st, 2005, 01:36 AM
Use WinRar to split into two or more parts. It will be saved as RAR or Zip on two or more CDs, but who cares? You can also use programs like "HJ split".... any file spiltter will do.

If you would like to split the movie itself, use VirtualDub. Use the "direct stream copy" setting and cut off as much as you like. It takes a few minutes, no recompressing. Cut and save into two or more parts.

If some idiot has used variable bit rate in the audio, then you lift the audio as a WAV file and use "direct stream copy" for the video and "full processing mode" for the audio and rejoin audio to the video compressing it to MP3 format. This way the sound won't be out of synch when you proceed to cut.

jelly
February 21st, 2005, 11:09 AM
akinrog:

VCD is a standardized CD format for MPEG-1 files (PAL with 352*288 pix, 25 fps and 1410 kbps or NTSC with 352*240 pix, 29,97 fps and 1410 kbps).... and DivX is similar to MPEG-4.
If you want to convert a DivX file to MPEG-1 you have to recompress it.

One of the best cutter for MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 files is the Canopus MPEGcraft!

http://www.canopus.us/US/products/MPEGcraft_HomeEdge/pa_MPEGcraft.asp

akinrog
February 21st, 2005, 11:13 AM
Actually I aim to split large files into smaller video files (with no compression or any processing at all) to convert them into VCDs. Unfortunately my DVD player do not play DVD-Rs. So I cannot use them on DVD-Rs.

Edit : I am aware that there is a certain standard associated with VCDs. But problem is when I use video editing software to split them into smaller files to fit them on say Two CDs, my computer runs for at least one hour to convert it to two smaller files. After that I am openin nero to convert two separate files into two VCDs and unfortunately Nero also works at least 45 minutes to recode smaller files. These procedures in total cause a lot of time be wasted.

jelly
February 21st, 2005, 12:23 PM
Ah... your DVD player can play DivX files on CD-R? Then split your DivX files with "Divx Cutter", "AVI Cutter" or "VirtualDub"... but a DIVX file on a CD-R isn't a VCD ;)