View Full Version : Yet another torrent tracker experiment

megalomania
February 22nd, 2005, 09:56 PM
I have managed to install a working torrent tracker on the test board. While I can upload a torrent, I still need people to download it to see if the tracker works.

Get thee to www.roguesci.org/scitech and signup to the test board. There is only one thread so far, and the torrent file is attached in it. There is also a link at the top of the page named "Torrents" that will take you to a list of every thread with a torrent file.

As a special bonus the test board is configured with the newest color scheme I was thinking about bringing over here.

MightyQuinnŽ
February 22nd, 2005, 10:19 PM
All is well it appears. Thumbs up on the colors, but I prefer the subdued background of the current incarnation....by your command.

Will there be any activity on the new board or is it a straw forum, so to speak. :D

Silentnite
February 22nd, 2005, 10:27 PM
The color scheme is really cool looking. And I wouldn't mind it.

Anyhoo, can we upload and host torrents from that part of the forum? I've got a couple things I could upload to that. Or maybe someone could .rar the FTP again.

Third_Rail
February 22nd, 2005, 10:33 PM
The actual tracking hasn't started working yet, or is connecting through an external client incorrect re:SOP?

Silentnite
February 22nd, 2005, 10:49 PM
It's working for me through BitTornado, and I'm currently seeding.

Third_Rail
February 22nd, 2005, 11:01 PM
I'm seeding as well, I meant on the other forum the live tracking doesn't work.

megalomania
February 23rd, 2005, 12:18 AM
The stats don't seem to work, but that may be a shortcoming of the torrent tracker itself since I am using the beta version of torrent trader. Starts are all well and good, but I'm just happy the damn thing works. I still have a bit of tinkering to do yet...

I'll be implimenting the changes from the test board to here soon enough. Once I add the new color scheme the current one will still be available for those who prefer it. The best of both worlds. I listened to the concerns of some people that the current scheme offers a less than professional appearence (I believe bombshock-esk was the term I heard), so I wanted to offer something whiter. Appearance isn't everything, but it is nevertheless important to provide a good first impression. I also enjoy flexing my Photoshop muscle now and again. I am getting better at using the thing.

festergrump
February 23rd, 2005, 01:39 PM
Mega,

I'm not sure if this problem relates to your new torrent tracker or my inexpirience with torrents, but after I downloaded the file I remained on Bittornado to seed it. Once my ISP kicked me ofline (as they do all too often) I could not reconnect to the torrent tracker to continue seeding. It gave me an error saying I needed to return to Roguesci.org.

I tried replacing the original tiny torrent file with a new one and restarting Bittornado to no effect. I just thought that I would bring it to your attention. You would know better than I if this was a glich in the tracker or in Bittornado (which itself is a beta version, is it not?).

MightyQuinnŽ
February 23rd, 2005, 06:02 PM
FesterGrump,

You need to return to the new forum page and re-login. It did the same thing for me, but relogging in fixed it. Apparently the tracker only authenticates IP's logged in to it at the time. A nice touch really.

Jacks Complete
February 27th, 2005, 10:38 PM
I'm having an issue logging in on the new Test Forum. Seems not to know me at all.

Fails to log me in, or to even recognise my email address!

The_Duke
February 27th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Works for me, are you sure you signed up again under the name Jacks complete?

Brutha
February 28th, 2005, 09:37 AM
The Tracker seems to be down, do I need to log into the test forum to download?

megalomania
February 28th, 2005, 10:16 AM
It may be a conflicting cookie issue, also the test board is not configured quite the way it is here. I would hope that issues like this would not be a problem on the regular Forum.

Silentnite
February 28th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Jack, have you signed up over on the other forum too? You have to re-register in order to access anything over there. I had the same problem until I went through and registered again.

Silentnite
March 12th, 2005, 02:43 AM
Not meaning to post-whore or anything, but with Megalomania's graces I have succesfully attached a torrent to the server on the test forum.

Which means: Start posting your torrents people!:D

EDIT: Having problems with the tracker recognizing my IP... Hope to resolve shortly.

Silentnite
Not meaning to post-whore or anything, but with Megalomania's graces I have succesfully attached a torrent to the server on the test forum.

EDIT: Having problems with the tracker recognizing my IP... Hope to resolve shortly.

Silentnite

megalomania
March 12th, 2005, 05:28 AM
I have been unable to replicate your problem, Silentnite. The cookies can be strange beasts, especially just after creating an account or logging in.

How long did you wait to start seeding the torrent after uploading it? There should be a 15 minute window, but in practice... I upped the cookie timeout just in case.

Every now and again I will get an email of some newbie having login trouble. I sometimes get the problem using a computer lab that requires me to do a fresh login. Try and try again I say, that always fixes the problem. So, try logging out, then logging back in. Then try seeding and see if it starts.

I was able to successfully start leeching your torrent, and to start seeding the test torrent I made with a new account. No trouble for me...

If people would be so kind as to start seeding any random file you happen to have laying around we might be able to guage the extensiveness of this problem if indeed it is related to the tracker, or the user.

megalomania
I have been unable to replicate your problem, Silentnite. The cookies can be strange beasts, especially just after creating an account or logging in.

How long did you wait to start seeding the torrent after uploading it? There should be a 15 minute window, but in practice... I upped the cookie timeout just in case.

Every now and again I will get an email of some newbie having login trouble. I sometimes get the problem using a computer lab that requires me to do a fresh login. Try and try again I say, that always fixes the problem. So, try logging out, then logging back in. Then try seeding and see if it starts.

I was able to successfully start leeching your torrent, and to start seeding the test torrent I made with a new account. No trouble for me...

If people would be so kind as to start seeding any random file you happen to have laying around we might be able to guage the extensiveness of this problem if indeed it is related to the tracker, or the user.

megalomania

Silentnite
March 12th, 2005, 10:40 AM
HUZZAH!!! I figured the problem out. It was the fickle Azureus program. I switched clients to BitTornado and am now seeding. Although it doesnt say I have a connection with any other clients... Hmmm. I do hope that you stopped leeching Mega, and its truly working this time.

EDIT: I dont really understand what I just did. I hosted the file with BitTornado, and had to download it from myself with Azureus... My brain hurts. But after downloading it from myself I was able to find you Mega, I believe. Anyways, Its now working.:D

Silentnite
HUZZAH!!! I figured the problem out. It was the fickle Azureus program. I switched clients to BitTornado and am now seeding. Although it doesnt say I have a connection with any other clients... Hmmm. I do hope that you stopped leeching Mega, and its truly working this time.

EDIT: I dont really understand what I just did. I hosted the file with BitTornado, and had to download it from myself with Azureus... My brain hurts. But after downloading it from myself I was able to find you Mega, I believe. Anyways, Its now working.:D

Silentnite

Corona
March 26th, 2005, 05:10 AM
I have put up a torrent of a kung fu ebook by Bruce Lee, on the Test Forum (after first sending it to the wrong tracker.... apologies).

If anyone's interested, please check it out.

Edit: How can they be showing two seeders.. and one peer... when I'm still getting a red light here since the very start? :confused: Nobody is connected to me.

I think this venture has flopped.... Tracker has gone screwy.

Corona
I have put up a torrent of a kung fu ebook by Bruce Lee, on the Test Forum (after first sending it to the wrong tracker.... apologies).

Edit: How can they be showing two seeders.. and one peer... when I'm still getting a red light here since the very start? :confused: Nobody is connected to me.

Corona

Silentnite
March 26th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Mega has already said that the statistics are screwed up. But the actual torrent will usually work just fine. Leave it seeding and we shall see how it goes. If you don't mind.

Silentnite
Mega has already said that the statistics are screwed up. But the actual torrent will usually work just fine. Leave it seeding and we shall see how it goes. If you don't mind.

Silentnite

Corona
March 26th, 2005, 04:13 PM
"the statistics are screwed up"

I had no idea how screwed up... :p But now that I know what to expect, I think its great having a tracker of our own. Otherwise I was toying with the idea of using Azureus (a resource-hog which I loathe) to engage its own in-built tracker.

Okay... using your idea, I downloaded it to myself while seeding and it works fine, like you said. Just don't look at the stats. Red light changed to green and its staying that way. :cool:

If you get no response, assume its bed time in Karachi and I've gone to sleep (shutting down system). But I shall return.

Corona

I had no idea how screwed up... :p But now that I know what to expect, I think its great having a tracker of our own. Otherwise I was toying with the idea of using Azureus (a resource-hog which I loathe) to engage its own in-built tracker.

Okay... using your idea, I downloaded it to myself while seeding and it works fine, like you said. Just don't look at the stats. Red light changed to green and its staying that way. :cool:

If you get no response, assume its bed time in Karachi and I've gone to sleep (shutting down system). But I shall return.

Corona