View Full Version : Need help with my mathematics (AP related)

-Jack
February 24th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Don't mean to take advantage of you guys, asking questions all the time, but this is one of my few sources of trustworthy information.

Anyway, I'm looking to make about 150 grams/6 oz/3/4 cup of AP. I've done smaller amounts before and know the steps, dangers, etc., so I don't really need any warnings. What I need is help with the proportions and unit conversions. Probably sounds stupid, eh?

In short, I need to know the amounts, in mL and/or oz of the precursor ingrediants, that I would need to produce this amount of AP in one sitting. Not sure if it makes any difference other than di or tricyclo, but I'm using hydrochloric acid. I'll check back on the concentration once I can read the bottle (I keep the bottle outside, and it rained on it today, making the plastic label hard to read).

It's not that I don't know how to do any of it. I even have a program for the conversions. I just don't trust my own math skills because I tend to make stupid mistakes and overlook important crap. So to be safe and to keep from wasting my supplies, I'd really appreciate any help I could get.

And if anyone remembers my last thread, sorry I never replied. I tried a few times for a couple days, but my posts never got through. They don't mod replies here, do they? Only topics I thought.

Edit: Forgot to mention what I need converted. -_-;

Silentnite
February 26th, 2005, 12:03 AM
There's vast amounts of information on AP all around... You take the general given amount, and reduce it. Or increase it... Multiplying by a percentage isn't overly difficult.

Anyways. Now that that is over, you don't state what conc. of H2O2 your useing. Nor how concentrated your HCl is. (Btw, if I recall, this raises the entire mixture's temp, rather then locallized heating when you use H2SO4).

-Jack
February 26th, 2005, 12:36 PM
There's vast amounts of information on AP all around... You take the general given amount, and reduce it. Or increase it... Multiplying by a percentage isn't overly difficult.

Anyways. Now that that is over, you don't state what conc. of H2O2 your useing. Nor how concentrated your HCl is. (Btw, if I recall, this raises the entire mixture's temp, rather then locallized heating when you use H2SO4).

My bad. The H2O2 is 3%, but I might decide to remove some of the water if I have spare time today, maybe bring it up to 6 or 10%. Don't want to risk losing it all to bring it up any higher. As for the HCl, turns out the rain ruined the label on my bottle (it was plastic and semitransparent with clear letters), so I'll have to go to the pool store later today and check.

So far, I haven't found any estimates on how much of the final product the chemlab synth is supposed to produce, and I was too stupid to remember to measure it myself, so I can't really even start to do the math.

Brakkie
February 26th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Well ok let's take in count that you use 30% H2O2 and 10% of HCl.
This is what I would do. I get quit a small yield most of the times. Don't ask me why.
I used:
-50 mL H2O2 (30%)
-35 mL of Acetone
-50 mL of HCl (10%)
To produce about 18 grams of AP. I know I use a lot of HCl. But I prefer adding too much because I neutralize it with lots ot SodiumBicarbonate. I use triple the ammount of SodiumBicarbonate that will normally be used. But whatever
So I got about 18 grams of AP from these ammounts.
Let's multiply that by 8.
You would need:

-400 mL H2O2 (30%)
-280 mL Acetone
400 mL HCl (10%) you can lower that if you want.

So that's about it. But why on earth do you want to make 150 grams of AP. Are you planning to blow up a building or something. 150 grams of AP is very dangerous. I wouldn't make more then 30 grams at a time. TOPS! Most of the time I don't make more than 15 gram of AP at a time. But well if you want to die be my guest.

Take in note that you dry the AP in seperate pieces. So dry it on 10 newspapers. About 15 grams of AP on each newspaper. Keep them about 0,5 meter away from eachother. Do not heat the room. Make sure you neutralize the AP with large ammounts of SodiumBiCarbonate!!!!!!! Make sure you cool the AP when it's reacting. Don't ask me where you can get a bucket of ice just think of that one yourself. If you don't cool it than you will get a dimer form. This form is very unstable and dangerous! So hope you cool it.

If we get a news report that some kid killed himself with a homemade explosive then we know it's you. Don't take me wrong but if you ask me then I would say that you are very stupid! Making 150 grams of AP

sjaak
February 27th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Yes 150 grams of AP is much to dangerous i can only tell what i use to get 20 grams of AP
I take 30ml h2o2 30%
25ml aceton
15ml of HCL 10%

It gives me 18 to 20 grams