View Full Version : saltpetre

John
July 31st, 2001, 05:58 PM
There is a product called saltpetre and is labeled potassium nitrate. I was thinking that this is kn03 but from what I've read kn03 is hard to find, is it possible it isn't the same thing

Have any of you heard of saltpetre

Gab
July 31st, 2001, 06:05 PM
It is kno3.

kingspaz
July 31st, 2001, 06:05 PM
fucking hell. oh my god. have you ever searched on an encyclopedia for potassium nitrate????....then it will tell you salt petre=potassium nitrate=KNO3 which means they are all the same.

you really, really need to get educated with some basic chemistry. read a GCSE chemistry book. that should be enough for a basic understanding.

John
July 31st, 2001, 06:08 PM
kinspaz, man you need to chill out

the freshmaker
July 31st, 2001, 06:09 PM
Potassium Nitrate is also called Saltpeter, so since it is says both Potassim Nitatrate and Salpeter you can be pretty sure that it is the right thing. How hard it is to get KNO3 is depending on where you live. Someplaces you can buy it in supermarkets and some where it is nearly impossible to buy it.

kingspaz
July 31st, 2001, 07:14 PM
sorry john, i did over react. alot of chemicals are sold under their 'traditional' names (usually the old ye olde names).

Anthony
July 31st, 2001, 07:45 PM
30 seconds with a book or a websearch would have given you your answer. Go and read theforum rules before posting again and read some threads to see how things work around here.

John
August 1st, 2001, 12:04 AM
to fresh

It does depend where you get it I can get it an amish deli type shop for about $3

nbk2000
August 1st, 2001, 01:24 AM
To anyone who cares to give it a try:

Take a saturated solution of calcium nitrate ($9 US for 50 pounds), then add a saturated solution of sodium bicarbonate (Baking soda). When the calcium carbonate sludge has settled, pour off the clear liquid through a filter and boil till a crystal layer forms on top of the liquid.

Set aside to cool, poke hole in crystal layer, and pour off the liquid. What remains is 98+% pure sodium nitrate crystals.

Substitute a potassium salt for potassium nitrate. I know you can buy potassium chloride as a sodium-free water softener for $10 US (50 pounds). But how you seperate the soluble calcium chloride I leave to you to discover.

(PS. I know this is posted in 2 places. That's my perogative. NBK2000)

------------------
"The knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them"

Go here (http://members.nbci.com/angelo_444/dload.html) to download the NBK2000 website PDF.

Go here (http://briefcase.yahoo.com/nbk2k) to download the NBK2000 videos.

John
August 1st, 2001, 01:33 AM
Nbk

What is it that you end up with though?? Or is that what I'm suppose to figure out?

Gussios maXimos
August 1st, 2001, 04:52 AM
some of the stuff you guys posted is actualy wrong salt peter is not just potasium nitrate
ive seen sodium nitrate sold as salt peter as well .it is just the salt used to cure meats

John456
August 1st, 2001, 05:25 AM
My god, your giving Johns everywhere a bad name http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif . Think about it. If a metal-nitrate plus a sodium salt = sodium nitrate, then what do you think a metal-nitrate + a potassium salt is going to yield?

BrAiNFeVeR
August 1st, 2001, 10:51 AM
Well ... I'm not too educated in chemistry, but I'm guessing Potassium nitrate ...

Basically, I'm just interested in the part of chemistry that explodes ;-)

PS: anyone knows how to contact Snipie ?? (I want some further information on the aquirement of Al powder @ goudacomposieten) Snipie --> email me : brainfever_t1@hotmail.com
------------------
"Mess with me, and you'll end up with a .44 under your chin and your brains on the ceiling"

[This message has been edited by BrAiNFeVeR (edited August 01, 2001).]

J
August 1st, 2001, 03:17 PM
To practice pyro safely, you really should try to understand the chemistry behind it. You don't have to learn everything at once, but at least learn what's going on in whatever you plan to make.

New members take note: this thread demonstrates the importance of searching the forum before posting!

J

------------------
Download the forum archive from my yahoo briefcase (http://uk.y42.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/thejuiceuk/lst?.dir=/&.src=bc&.view=l)
PGP key available here (http://pgpkeys.mit.edu/) (ID = 0x5B66A792)

Lagen
August 2nd, 2001, 03:09 AM
Gussios MaXimos, I admit that what you said is partly true. But usually saltpetre means potassium nitrate. If you want to avoid confusion, use these more specific archaic terms:

Chilli saltpetre = sodium nitrate
Peru saltpetre = potassium nitrate
Norwegian saltpetre = calcium nitrate

Donutty
August 6th, 2001, 06:17 PM
BrainFever...Yeah, just take a bit of chemical X and mix it with chemical Y and see if it explodes!...at your own risk!!

It is absolutely essential to have a small amount of scientific knowledge if you want things to explode... It's like a mechanic not knowing what sort of oil to use in an engine.

I studied chemistry at school for 3 years and that only covered the basics. Don't expect to survive long if you don't know what you're doing. Today I made trinitrophenol, a pretty run-of-the-mill chemical for pyros. This involves poisonous, toxic and corrosive chemicals, aswell as deadly poisonous gasses being produced. If you don't know what those gasses are and what they can do to you, your're dead.

Buy a chemistry book, CD-ROM etc. and get a basic clue, or forget having pyro as a hobby.

BrAiNFeVeR
August 6th, 2001, 07:44 PM
I've had a few years basic chemistry (2 to be precisely), and I am very interested in what actually goes on ...
But i will never be able too analyze the stuff that happens like some of you guys can ... too bad :-(
Does anyone have a chemistry crash course that they can put online somewhere ??
I'd greatly appreciate that !

------------------
"Mess with me, and you'll end up with a .44 under your chin and your brains on the ceiling"

J
August 7th, 2001, 07:50 AM
There is no such thing. You can't learn something like chemistry in 5 minutes, even proffesionals who have studied it all their lives learn new things.

You need to take it slowly, don't get impatient. You don't need to be an expert, but you do need to understand what's going on. If you can't be bothered, find a safer hobby.

And never tell yourself that you'll never be able to do it! Be positive and try hard.

J

------------------
Download the forum archive from my yahoo briefcase (http://uk.y42.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/thejuiceuk/lst?.dir=/&.src=bc&.view=l)
PGP key available here (http://pgpkeys.mit.edu/) (ID = 0x5B66A792)

BrAiNFeVeR
August 7th, 2001, 07:36 PM
Thank you, oh mighty mod, for the good advice. I have now regained the trust in myself, and will start a whole new life ;-)

No really, i am slowly but certainly learning the mystics of chemistry. (just have a little patience with me)

------------------

-A-
August 24th, 2001, 12:45 AM
Be sure it is potassium nitrate and not sodium nitrate. (since it is labelled potassium nitrate I think it is...). It is generally sold in small pellets or balls. It is also often covered with some sort of colorant, wash it, dry it, and then use a coffee grinder, it works wonders.

mark
August 28th, 2001, 08:07 PM
Ive looked through the ace nursery, and I couldnt find an potasium nitrate. One brand of fertilizer even boasted that,infact, it could not burn! Does anyone know a brand name?

SATANIC
August 29th, 2001, 03:40 AM
i can't find nitrates anywhere. i have small amounts from schol last year, but i cannot get the 50+ kg bags home, that they sell it in at the hardware type rural stores. i can't find a small supply, like in garden centers or any thing. trust me, i've tried. i am now looking for any source of sodium, potassium, or even calcium nitrate, or another that i could use like above. (nbk's post)

BoB-
August 29th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Dude, you probably could find Calcium Nitrate, I've heard from many sources that it is common snow melting "salt".