View Full Version : some silver fulminate

vlodjak
February 27th, 2005, 08:30 AM
I searched on the forum, but i didn`t find quite what i was looking for.
Yesterday i made couple of grams of silver fulminate and i did some testing with it, but i have quite a lot of it left. I thougt to disssolve in ammonia, and soak some kind of paper or cloth in the solution to get some impact sentsitive crackers, or make exploding cigarets :rolleyes:.

Has anyone got other cool ideas or experiences with SF?
Thanks

Bert
February 27th, 2005, 12:47 PM
I thougt to disssolve in ammonia, and soak some kind of paper or cloth in the solution to get some impact sentsitive crackers, or make exploding cigarets :rolleyes:.

Has anyone got other cool ideas or experiences with SF?
Thanks

A couple of grams of Silver fulminate will make a mess out of your hand. In the fireworks industry, you would have a wire "hoop" about 4" in diameter with a rubber membrane stretched across it (use a common kids's balloon for the rubber). Hold the outer rim, if the fulminate detonates from handling, only the rubber and your hearing will sustain damage- You really should wear hearing protection, and of course you ALWAYS wear eye protection allready, no?

For impact crackers, make a board 1/2" - 3/4" thick with several holes perhaps 1/2" Dia. in it and make squares of tissue perhaps 1 1/2" across. Press the tissue into a hole, forming a little "cup". Fill this paper cup about half the board's thickness deep with aquarium gravel, and then place a small quantity of the fulminate on top. Squeeze and roll the tissue projecting above the board together to close the cup, forming a "tail"- A small amount of gum water or dextrin water on the finger tips may be of use to stick the tissue together. Remove the completed impact cracker from the board gently by pulling the tail. If you store these, use a box full of sawdust with the crackers well separated by it to prevent mass detonation. There you are- Your very own traditional silver torpedoes!