View Full Version : Defeating Airport X-Ray

malzraa
March 6th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Say hypothetically one wanted to smuggle something small across an airplane in their checked luggage. Would a lead-lined box be able to defeat the x-ray system they use to scan luggage? Perhaps it would be more believable if one used a statue?

Jacks Complete
March 6th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Well, you could hide it up your ass.

I mean, seriously, what do you expect us to say? Smuggling something across an aeroplane? That doesn't even make sense. What are you, wing-walking? :mad:

malzraa
March 6th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Allright, allow me to clarify this fictional story. Bob wants to get a switchblade across the border after his trip to country X, but is also very afraid of the x-ray system they now use in airports. He thinks that a hollowed out lead statue would help defeat this system. Would it?

Jacks Complete
March 6th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Not really. Why the hell do you want to risk serious prison time smuggling a switchblade in your carry-on luggage? Stick it in your hold luggage, inside the statue if you really want to.

Modern x-ray machines can easily pick up the difference between something with a hollow in it rather than solid, so anything weird like a hollow statue is likely to get flagged. The x-rays will easily go through the statue, and the opaque object, if it looks weird, is likely to get your bag pulled for a hand search. Then you are in the shit. So no, only do it if your name is Blair or Osama.

Silentnite
March 7th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Checked luggage? That would certainly be easier then carry-on. I in no way endorse this activity, but I believe it would be relatively easy. And if your bringing it back why not ship it? Anyways. If its a *lead-lined* statue then the x-rays(to my knowledge) wouldnt penetrate.

What about one of those tactical *Letter-openers*. The ones that are completely composite. Nothing would detect those, at least show up as metal. And you could put it in the lining of the bag.

Haggis
March 7th, 2005, 12:28 AM
I think that in a situation like this, if one was trying to take anything through airport security, it would be best to use one of these. http://sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm?terms=10861
It is made specifically for this purpose. If one decided to do this though, they should put it in their checked baggage, as a large inpenetrable object in the carry one would be quickly investigated.

akinrog
March 7th, 2005, 03:23 AM
Carry on baggage shall also be passed through an x-ray machine. At least it's so in my country. In addition, while x-ray machines do not penetrate into a lead statue, how will you explain presence of a lead statue in your luggage. I mean when it's x-rayed, the officer shall notice that there is a dense object in your luggage, you have to explain it somewhat.

Silentnite
March 7th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Carry on baggage is scrutinized more heavily I would think then Checked Luggage. I was at the airport today and it seemed as if they did random checks through Checked luggage, but on all of them they swipe the zipper and sometimes the inside of the bag with a piece of paper to analyze on site. Kinda neat. Would someone more knowledgeable happen to know if this is the nitrate sniffer?

And I dont think it very likely that they would allow a very dense object into your carry on. Bludgeoning tool or some such thing. But they might. You could try that thing from American Science but again, I would not use it for carry on. It might make the cut(pardon the pun) in checked luggage though.

Boomer
March 7th, 2005, 10:49 AM
I carried a survival knife with me on several holidays via air. Had it in a checked suitcase and never had a problem. Same with a harpoon. They hardly care what is in the belly of the plane, as you cannot get your hands on it once in the air.

If simply owning the item is illegal in your country, you might have problems with customs though.

Boomer
I carried a survival knife with me on several holidays via air. Had it in a checked suitcase and never had a problem. Same with a harpoon. They hardly care what is in the belly of the plane, as you cannot get your hands on it once in the air.

If simply owning the item is illegal in your country, you might have problems with customs though.

Boomer

malzraa
March 7th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Yes, the paper swipe is a nitrate sniffer. They swipe my laptop everytime I am at my hometown airport, and the screen of the analyzer is in plain view. It has an indicator for AN, NG, RDX, TNT, and PETN.

malzraa
Yes, the paper swipe is a nitrate sniffer. They swipe my laptop everytime I am at my hometown airport, and the screen of the analyzer is in plain view. It has an indicator for AN, NG, RDX, TNT, and PETN.

malzraa

Jacks Complete
March 7th, 2005, 03:18 PM
They never check hold luggage for weapons, only for bombs and drugs. Very simple, really.

As Boomer says, you can't reach it! You can travel by air with a checked in firearm or sword or whatever, as long as you have the permits. How do you think Olympic teams get the foils and target pistols along to compete?

Jacks Complete
They never check hold luggage for weapons, only for bombs and drugs. Very simple, really.

As Boomer says, you can't reach it! You can travel by air with a checked in firearm or sword or whatever, as long as you have the permits. How do you think Olympic teams get the foils and target pistols along to compete?

Jacks Complete

cyclonite4
March 7th, 2005, 10:38 PM
IMO, a lead-box wouldn't be a good way to sneak anything in, don't you think it would be suspicious when a large rectangular box-like object is detected.'

A lead statue sounds nice. If your sneaking one in for weapons sake (not like I care or endorse it) a composite knife like Silentnite mentioned is the best idea.

But I assume the knife is wanted for aesthetic reasons?

cyclonite4
IMO, a lead-box wouldn't be a good way to sneak anything in, don't you think it would be suspicious when a large rectangular box-like object is detected.'

A lead statue sounds nice. If your sneaking one in for weapons sake (not like I care or endorse it) a composite knife like Silentnite mentioned is the best idea.

cyclonite4

malzraa
March 8th, 2005, 01:10 AM
Yeah, the hypothetical situation is to smuggle a switchblade into a country that does not allow them.

malzraa
Yeah, the hypothetical situation is to smuggle a switchblade into a country that does not allow them.

malzraa

Silentnite
March 8th, 2005, 01:55 AM
What about just buying one in country? I know here in the U.S. there is at least 15 different stores within a 20 mile radius that I could go buy switchblades. But it helps that I live near the Metro area.

Silentnite
What about just buying one in country? I know here in the U.S. there is at least 15 different stores within a 20 mile radius that I could go buy switchblades. But it helps that I live near the Metro area.

Silentnite

malzraa
March 9th, 2005, 01:29 AM
I know this problem could be solved by dodging it, but the concept is a useful one in my mind.

malzraa
I know this problem could be solved by dodging it, but the concept is a useful one in my mind.

malzraa

bipolar
March 11th, 2005, 05:23 AM
I'd go with shipping it in a envelope with bubblewrap regular mail to yourself in your home country. that way if it gets caught they will just send you a letter saying that they seized it. because you are not responsible for someone else sending you something illegal, so you really can't get in trouble. In the US you are only responsible for it if you sign for it. which you dont have to do for most stuff. But most likely it will go thru.

They don't have the resouces to x ray scan every regular postage regular envelope. There are so many of them. plus you won't get in trouble if they find it. check your laws to make sure I guess.

I remember seeing an article or something about how after 9/11, some special forces operators succeeded in smuggling a handgun, plastic explosives, knives and all kinds of stuff in their carry on luggage just to test the security out. So there has to be some tricks. of course it would help to have an x-ray machine to test your stuff and basicly camoflage the parts to look like something else with custom parts or something. I dont know.

bipolar
I'd go with shipping it in a envelope with bubblewrap regular mail to yourself in your home country. that way if it gets caught they will just send you a letter saying that they seized it. because you are not responsible for someone else sending you something illegal, so you really can't get in trouble. In the US you are only responsible for it if you sign for it. which you dont have to do for most stuff. But most likely it will go thru.

They don't have the resouces to x ray scan every regular postage regular envelope. There are so many of them. plus you won't get in trouble if they find it. check your laws to make sure I guess.

I remember seeing an article or something about how after 9/11, some special forces operators succeeded in smuggling a handgun, plastic explosives, knives and all kinds of stuff in their carry on luggage just to test the security out. So there has to be some tricks. of course it would help to have an x-ray machine to test your stuff and basicly camoflage the parts to look like something else with custom parts or something. I dont know.

bipolar

Jacks Complete
March 11th, 2005, 06:36 AM
bipolar,
actually, the CAA and FAA now insist that *every* air mail item gets X-rayed.

This is why gun postage is being banned in the UK, because they keep finding them, and it reduces the Royal Mails profit margins because they effectively down tools every time till the police turn up to take the scary parcel away! Totally weird, but there you go.

Send it via cheap-ass ground mail as a heavy thing, and you stand more chance. Or mark it not suitable for air freight.

Jacks Complete
bipolar,

This is why gun postage is being banned in the UK, because they keep finding them, and it reduces the Royal Mails profit margins because they effectively down tools every time till the police turn up to take the scary parcel away! Totally weird, but there you go.

Send it via cheap-ass ground mail as a heavy thing, and you stand more chance. Or mark it not suitable for air freight.

Jacks Complete
bipolar,

cyclonite4
March 11th, 2005, 07:16 AM
I now remember of one of my friends getting an airsoft gun from overseas (a nice one at that).

It was sent over in three packages (disassembled and with other things), and it had no problem getting here (although different countries have different levels of paranoia).

I guess this doesn't apply to your knife, but mailing it should be cool anyway, another of my friends walked a switchblade through cambodian airports in his carry-on luggage.

cyclonite4
I now remember of one of my friends getting an airsoft gun from overseas (a nice one at that).

It was sent over in three packages (disassembled and with other things), and it had no problem getting here (although different countries have different levels of paranoia).

I guess this doesn't apply to your knife, but mailing it should be cool anyway, another of my friends walked a switchblade through cambodian airports in his carry-on luggage.

cyclonite4

bipolar
March 11th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Damn are they x-raying all packages going in the air just domesticly even inside the US or just through customs?

I always see shows on TV about how they can't reveal the super secret technology they use in customs and make it look like they can detect anything. I just think its part propaganda so people don't even try because they think its impossible. My friend recieves cannabis(much easier than a gun probably) from canada and amsterdamn all the time, but its just small ammounts. I imagine a lot more gets by than they make out.

malzraa, does the hypothetical switchblade look like a regular folding knife or like a stiletto or whatever that looks like a switchblade. That could make a difference too.

bipolar
Damn are they x-raying all packages going in the air just domesticly even inside the US or just through customs?

I always see shows on TV about how they can't reveal the super secret technology they use in customs and make it look like they can detect anything. I just think its part propaganda so people don't even try because they think its impossible. My friend recieves cannabis(much easier than a gun probably) from canada and amsterdamn all the time, but its just small ammounts. I imagine a lot more gets by than they make out.

malzraa, does the hypothetical switchblade look like a regular folding knife or like a stiletto or whatever that looks like a switchblade. That could make a difference too.

bipolar

cyclonite4
March 11th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Quite right bipolar.

Over here the police ads say WA has the best forensic technology in the world, which is obviously a blatent fucking lie, as if a place with a crime rate incredibly lower than most other parts of the world would be able to afford such technology.

cyclonite4
Quite right bipolar.

Over here the police ads say WA has the best forensic technology in the world, which is obviously a blatent fucking lie, as if a place with a crime rate incredibly lower than most other parts of the world would be able to afford such technology.

cyclonite4
Quite right bipolar.

pangos_59
March 11th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Has anybody looked into the polyethane group? (i.e. HDPE)?
I think that high density polyethlyene could be used to block x-rays as well as gamma rays...

pangos_59
I think that high density polyethlyene could be used to block x-rays as well as gamma rays...

pangos_59

pangos_59
March 11th, 2005, 09:41 PM
What about HDPE? I thought it could block gamma radiation as well as x- ray radiation... Perhaps goto a plumbing supply or DIY store and get some HDPE sewerpipe...And a jig or pipesaw and voila! a new era of smuggling! :)

pangos_59
What about HDPE? I thought it could block gamma radiation as well as x- ray radiation... Perhaps goto a plumbing supply or DIY store and get some HDPE sewerpipe...And a jig or pipesaw and voila! a new era of smuggling! :)

pangos_59

Charlie Workman
March 24th, 2005, 03:44 AM
Don't count on them not looking in your hold baggage. I flew to Japan in December and they checked my bags (after checkin) going both ways. Had a cd burner wrapped up in the center of my bag to protect it. Guess it looked suspicous (sp). Wouldn't have known they did it, but they left a nice little form letter in my bag. Homeland Security heading out, the Japs coming back. Funny thing, though, neither Customs bothered me.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"To paraphrase Aristotle, life is a gas!"
-Gidget

Charlie Workman
Don't count on them not looking in your hold baggage. I flew to Japan in December and they checked my bags (after checkin) going both ways. Had a cd burner wrapped up in the center of my bag to protect it. Guess it looked suspicous (sp). Wouldn't have known they did it, but they left a nice little form letter in my bag. Homeland Security heading out, the Japs coming back. Funny thing, though, neither Customs bothered me.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"To paraphrase Aristotle, life is a gas!"
-Gidget

Charlie Workman
-Gidget

nbk2000
March 24th, 2005, 01:27 PM
If cambodia is like thailand, they hang people for smuggling drugs and/or weapons, and they are very serious about it.

Risk Vs. Gain, always.

nbk2000
If cambodia is like thailand, they hang people for smuggling drugs and/or weapons, and they are very serious about it.

Risk Vs. Gain, always.

nbk2000

Risk Vs. Gain, always.

Jacks Complete
March 27th, 2005, 06:01 PM
A little update:- UK airports are utterly paranoid, & now have a policy of patting down anyone who fails the gateway walk, or anyone who takes off their shoes for X-ray.

Also, the swindle goes on - you can buy alcohol anywhere, and take it in your hold luggage, but not in your hand baggage, even if it is sealed. They will confiscate it. You can then buy it the other side of the checks, in "duty-free". This kind of makes sense, otherwise how could they tell what was duty free and what wasn't? The swindle, however, is that this applies even INSIDE the EU, where there is NO duty free! So they steal your beer, on which you have already paid duty, so you can buy it again with duty on the other side of the barrier!

Jacks Complete
A little update:- UK airports are utterly paranoid, & now have a policy of patting down anyone who fails the gateway walk, or anyone who takes off their shoes for X-ray.

Also, the swindle goes on - you can buy alcohol anywhere, and take it in your hold luggage, but not in your hand baggage, even if it is sealed. They will confiscate it. You can then buy it the other side of the checks, in "duty-free". This kind of makes sense, otherwise how could they tell what was duty free and what wasn't? The swindle, however, is that this applies even INSIDE the EU, where there is NO duty free! So they steal your beer, on which you have already paid duty, so you can buy it again with duty on the other side of the barrier!

Jacks Complete