View Full Version : H2SO4-in-a-can

cyclonite4
March 7th, 2005, 11:13 PM
I got this idea a day or two ago. I takes me back to one of last years chemistry test. It was about the contact process (for making H2SO4). One question asked this: Why is it that pure sulfuric acid can be stored safely in a metallic container, but dilute sulfuric acid must be stored in a PVC container instead? Or course this is because pure sulfuric acid has no water to ionise in, therefore does not react.

I remember reading a long time ago, a thread about refilling aerosol cans (I can't remember the exact details).

My idea is to refill a can with pure H2SO4 (which conveniently won't react with the can :) ), and re-pressurise it to produce spray-on-H2SO4.

I guess this may have multiple uses (spraying it in someones eyes may be quite nasty, maybe inethical?).

A friend suggested that it could be sprayed into a computers PSU, then water vapour will ionise it, causing the PSU to be short-circuited, but I wouldn't need to be doing that.

Butane won't react with H2SO4 will it? (I assume that is the gas of choice for repressurisation)

Comments anyone?

cyclonite4
I got this idea a day or two ago. I takes me back to one of last years chemistry test. It was about the contact process (for making H2SO4). One question asked this: Why is it that pure sulfuric acid can be stored safely in a metallic container, but dilute sulfuric acid must be stored in a PVC container instead? Or course this is because pure sulfuric acid has no water to ionise in, therefore does not react.

I remember reading a long time ago, a thread about refilling aerosol cans (I can't remember the exact details).

My idea is to refill a can with pure H2SO4 (which conveniently won't react with the can :) ), and re-pressurise it to produce spray-on-H2SO4.

I guess this may have multiple uses (spraying it in someones eyes may be quite nasty, maybe inethical?).

A friend suggested that it could be sprayed into a computers PSU, then water vapour will ionise it, causing the PSU to be short-circuited, but I wouldn't need to be doing that.

Butane won't react with H2SO4 will it? (I assume that is the gas of choice for repressurisation)

Comments anyone?

cyclonite4

Comments anyone?

malzraa
March 8th, 2005, 01:09 AM
I think that would be extremely difficult, simply due to the high water content of air. Why not use a stronger acid too, like HF or HNO3? Cool Idea, but I can think of better ways to do both the eyes and the PSU Idea.

malzraa
I think that would be extremely difficult, simply due to the high water content of air. Why not use a stronger acid too, like HF or HNO3? Cool Idea, but I can think of better ways to do both the eyes and the PSU Idea.

malzraa

cyclonite4
March 8th, 2005, 01:41 AM
Just to let you know, neither HF or HNO3 are stronger than H2SO4 (sulfuric acid ionises better).

The reason for use of H2SO4 is because it is the easiest to prepare anhydrously (if any water is present in the can, the can is decomposed).

This isn't intened purely for eye-damaging, it's more of a fun idea. Although I trust it would be very harmful for ones eyes, being a dehydrating agent, it would dehydrate the eyes, and use that water to ionise in and then become acidic. Nasty!

cyclonite4
Just to let you know, neither HF or HNO3 are stronger than H2SO4 (sulfuric acid ionises better).

The reason for use of H2SO4 is because it is the easiest to prepare anhydrously (if any water is present in the can, the can is decomposed).

This isn't intened purely for eye-damaging, it's more of a fun idea. Although I trust it would be very harmful for ones eyes, being a dehydrating agent, it would dehydrate the eyes, and use that water to ionise in and then become acidic. Nasty!

cyclonite4

Silentnite
March 8th, 2005, 01:51 AM
Its Va-Poo-Rize. But really it sounds like a nifty Idea... And I know Id buy it in a can if you could ever find someone to actually sell it.... Commercial purposes being somewhat limited, and vandalous acts downright guaranteed...

Its a neat idea to have a cookie sheet, coated in H2O2, and acetone. then spray on the H2SO4 to initiate. Maybe thats a dumb idea but as the crystals form they could dry right there as they would already be spread out.

Silentnite
Its Va-Poo-Rize. But really it sounds like a nifty Idea... And I know Id buy it in a can if you could ever find someone to actually sell it.... Commercial purposes being somewhat limited, and vandalous acts downright guaranteed...

Its a neat idea to have a cookie sheet, coated in H2O2, and acetone. then spray on the H2SO4 to initiate. Maybe thats a dumb idea but as the crystals form they could dry right there as they would already be spread out.

Silentnite

cyclonite4
March 8th, 2005, 02:01 AM
TV ad: "H2SO4-in-a-can, can anyone live without it?" :p

I would surely buy it as well.

On the AP idea, if you used high purity H2O2 (60% +), the reaction would be quite fast and somewhat exothermic (as in useful). Give it a try if you have access to high concentration peroxide and can do it without harming yourself. :)

cyclonite4

On the AP idea, if you used high purity H2O2 (60% +), the reaction would be quite fast and somewhat exothermic (as in useful). Give it a try if you have access to high concentration peroxide and can do it without harming yourself. :)

cyclonite4

Oktogen
March 8th, 2005, 09:51 AM
H2SO4 spray is an EXTREMELYYY stupid/dumb/foolish idea. If the H2SO4 is not 100% but for example 99% ? It would corrose the container causing it to explode splashing everything with H2SO4... remember the container is pressurized !!! and the atomized H2SO4 would be unpredictable - IMHO it would only result in burning skin, eyes, and everything around. Finally, H2SO4 in any concentration doesn't corrose steel, because iron passivate (coat with oxides) and became H2SO4 proof. Iron doesn't react with oxygen acids (H2SO4, HNO3, etc.)

Oktogen
H2SO4 spray is an EXTREMELYYY stupid/dumb/foolish idea. If the H2SO4 is not 100% but for example 99% ? It would corrose the container causing it to explode splashing everything with H2SO4... remember the container is pressurized !!! and the atomized H2SO4 would be unpredictable - IMHO it would only result in burning skin, eyes, and everything around. Finally, H2SO4 in any concentration doesn't corrose steel, because iron passivate (coat with oxides) and became H2SO4 proof. Iron doesn't react with oxygen acids (H2SO4, HNO3, etc.)

Oktogen

Silentnite
March 8th, 2005, 01:29 PM
So then you would have an inventive tear gas dispenser? :p Pressurize and run? :rolleyes:

You would obviously have to be very careful in the preperation of this, but that follows along with anything we do. Its not useful so much in a big way, just more of a neat story. Or an anecdote.

Does it eat plastic very well? Such as a self-pump pesticide sprayer? ;)

Silentnite
So then you would have an inventive tear gas dispenser? :p Pressurize and run? :rolleyes:

You would obviously have to be very careful in the preperation of this, but that follows along with anything we do. Its not useful so much in a big way, just more of a neat story. Or an anecdote.

Silentnite

Third_Rail
March 8th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Sounds like an interesting idea on the surface, but it doesn't sound too practical on thinking about it for a few minutes.

Also, if you can dig up that article on repressurizing spray cans, I'd love to read it. :)

Third_Rail
Sounds like an interesting idea on the surface, but it doesn't sound too practical on thinking about it for a few minutes.

Also, if you can dig up that article on repressurizing spray cans, I'd love to read it. :)

Third_Rail

Jacks Complete
March 8th, 2005, 01:50 PM
So what happens when you get it all over yourself because the wind changes or gusts, or a little aerosol gets on your spray trigger finger?

Get a normal spraypaint can, in a fluorescent or metallic colour. Spray some outdoors, then use a light at night to show you just how far it actually spread. It will be on your shoes, your glasses/goggles, gloves, the ground, the thing you sprayed at, all over the place.

Bad idea.

Jacks Complete
So what happens when you get it all over yourself because the wind changes or gusts, or a little aerosol gets on your spray trigger finger?

Get a normal spraypaint can, in a fluorescent or metallic colour. Spray some outdoors, then use a light at night to show you just how far it actually spread. It will be on your shoes, your glasses/goggles, gloves, the ground, the thing you sprayed at, all over the place.

Bad idea.

Jacks Complete

Bad idea.

FUTI
March 8th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Aah! The old oil of vitriol face rince idea:D
Hard to make it work, I won't explain the reasons. H2SO4 is a bitch when aerosol. That is one of the reasons it is not produced by SO3 and water but instead by dissolving SO3 in H2SO4 and then diluting by less concentrated H2SO4. Heat produced by SO3+H2O direct reaction is huge and can lead to explosion or through boiling make nasty aerosol that is hard to stop :D. In the other case it is basically little more then enthalpy of mixing. Well if you can make it work on remote controled device, I can bet that someone can make it disaster weapon for the cultural/sport events. Just imagine a cloud of aerosolic H2SO4 in the Opera House for example.

FUTI
Hard to make it work, I won't explain the reasons. H2SO4 is a bitch when aerosol. That is one of the reasons it is not produced by SO3 and water but instead by dissolving SO3 in H2SO4 and then diluting by less concentrated H2SO4. Heat produced by SO3+H2O direct reaction is huge and can lead to explosion or through boiling make nasty aerosol that is hard to stop :D. In the other case it is basically little more then enthalpy of mixing. Well if you can make it work on remote controled device, I can bet that someone can make it disaster weapon for the cultural/sport events. Just imagine a cloud of aerosolic H2SO4 in the Opera House for example.

FUTI

Sam
March 8th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Sulfuric acid in a can? No thanks.
Some of the acid mist will react with the can, it may take a few uses, but it will happen. When it does happen, not only would the exploding can spew acid all over the place (and all over you), but the hydrogen gas produced by the reacting acid would be very dangerous in its own rite.
Even if you could somehow contain it under pressure in an unbreakable can, you would need full body protection with some sort of breath filter to avoid serious health problems.
Then you have to deal with the threat to your surrounding environment.

Sam
Some of the acid mist will react with the can, it may take a few uses, but it will happen. When it does happen, not only would the exploding can spew acid all over the place (and all over you), but the hydrogen gas produced by the reacting acid would be very dangerous in its own rite.
Even if you could somehow contain it under pressure in an unbreakable can, you would need full body protection with some sort of breath filter to avoid serious health problems.

Sam

cyclonite4
March 8th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Now that I think a bit more about it, it is a pretty dumb idea.

I then thought about a pump-spray bottle (usually made of plastic or glass and unpressurised) but of course what Jacks_Complete said kicks that idea into the can.

Maybe a pump-spray that shoots a stream? or a water pistol?
Damn, I was really starting to like the idea :(

cyclonite4

I then thought about a pump-spray bottle (usually made of plastic or glass and unpressurised) but of course what Jacks_Complete said kicks that idea into the can.

cyclonite4

Silentnite
March 8th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Water pistol huh? Going macguyver on us? Or was that chloroform? Maybe a plastic syringe, with a cap. That would probably work. And its the way that I usually inject my mixtures with H2SO4 or HCl. Works pretty good.

Silentnite
Water pistol huh? Going macguyver on us? Or was that chloroform? Maybe a plastic syringe, with a cap. That would probably work. And its the way that I usually inject my mixtures with H2SO4 or HCl. Works pretty good.

Silentnite

cyclonite4
March 8th, 2005, 11:15 PM
I guess the idea was killed by itself, I was thinking of an aerosol H2SO4, but the dangers have now been outlined, and it makes it unsuitable.

cyclonite4
I guess the idea was killed by itself, I was thinking of an aerosol H2SO4, but the dangers have now been outlined, and it makes it unsuitable.

cyclonite4

Jacks Complete
March 9th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Using a syringe would be a good idea, as far as this could be called a good idea. At least you could be fairly sure the syringe won't react, and if you put a needle on the end, it would spray as a mist, or could be used like that spider thing in "Runaway".

Jacks Complete
Using a syringe would be a good idea, as far as this could be called a good idea. At least you could be fairly sure the syringe won't react, and if you put a needle on the end, it would spray as a mist, or could be used like that spider thing in "Runaway".

Jacks Complete

Oktogen
March 10th, 2005, 01:55 PM
oh, I used plastic syringes some time ago everytime I was synthesizing AP. I always mixed 30% hydrogen peroxide with acetone, put it in the freezer, then when it cooled down I put it in salt-ice bath, added H2SO4 from syringe and put it back in the freezer. After 2 days I always had significiant ammount of AP, approximately 60grams from 80ml acetone :D . Now I use only HMTD and I make it very rarely, two-three times a year, then I use B-caps made from it, but in the past I used AP as main charges , sometimes I made APAN :eek:

Oktogen
oh, I used plastic syringes some time ago everytime I was synthesizing AP. I always mixed 30% hydrogen peroxide with acetone, put it in the freezer, then when it cooled down I put it in salt-ice bath, added H2SO4 from syringe and put it back in the freezer. After 2 days I always had significiant ammount of AP, approximately 60grams from 80ml acetone :D . Now I use only HMTD and I make it very rarely, two-three times a year, then I use B-caps made from it, but in the past I used AP as main charges , sometimes I made APAN :eek:

Oktogen

nbk2000
March 11th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Sulfuric acid has, every time, caused the plunger in my syringes to stick and become very difficult to push, requiring a full fist slam to get it to move.

NOT good.

Try using that gelled acid drain cleaner in a plastic squeeze bottle with a large hole for the acid goop to be sprayed from.

nbk2000
Sulfuric acid has, every time, caused the plunger in my syringes to stick and become very difficult to push, requiring a full fist slam to get it to move.

NOT good.

Try using that gelled acid drain cleaner in a plastic squeeze bottle with a large hole for the acid goop to be sprayed from.

nbk2000

NOT good.

cyclonite4
March 12th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Hmm.... my syringes happen to be fine... I have a glass and plastic ones, and they have never stuck.

I have noticed however that flies and similar pests like sulfuric acid/suicide. I've many times found flies and bugs lying in beakers of sulfuric acid that have been left out.

cyclonite4
Hmm.... my syringes happen to be fine... I have a glass and plastic ones, and they have never stuck.

I have noticed however that flies and similar pests like sulfuric acid/suicide. I've many times found flies and bugs lying in beakers of sulfuric acid that have been left out.

cyclonite4

Sam
March 18th, 2005, 06:20 AM
That is just because the flies are looking for sustenance. They often land on random areas just to scavenge for food, which is how that sticky fly paper stuff works (many also crash into it, of course). Unfortunately for the flies, in this case they have decided to land in beakers of sulfuric acid :).

Sam
That is just because the flies are looking for sustenance. They often land on random areas just to scavenge for food, which is how that sticky fly paper stuff works (many also crash into it, of course). Unfortunately for the flies, in this case they have decided to land in beakers of sulfuric acid :).

Sam

cyclonite4
March 18th, 2005, 07:15 AM
No, I mean they seriously decide that sulfuric acid is the most suitable! I've left beakers of all sorts of other stuff, and besides dust, leaves, etc. landing in them, no problem. Even a siphon (the hand pump kind) which I used to extract the sulfuric acid out of the drum I bought, attracted flies when it was left lying in an open-roofed box. My sulfuric is always from the same source, maybe it has an impurity which flies seek? :)

cyclonite4
No, I mean they seriously decide that sulfuric acid is the most suitable! I've left beakers of all sorts of other stuff, and besides dust, leaves, etc. landing in them, no problem. Even a siphon (the hand pump kind) which I used to extract the sulfuric acid out of the drum I bought, attracted flies when it was left lying in an open-roofed box. My sulfuric is always from the same source, maybe it has an impurity which flies seek? :)

cyclonite4

Silentnite
March 18th, 2005, 10:34 AM
What kind of source is it? If you dont mind me asking that is. Is it battery acid or drain cleaner?

From what I remember of flies, they land on food and then throw up on it in order to suck up the resulting slurry. Could that slurry have a chemical or fragrant composistion comparative to H2SO4? As in, Hey someone else has already started the meal, I guess I shall land.

Or its just the acidity goodness inherent in the Acid.

Silentnite
What kind of source is it? If you dont mind me asking that is. Is it battery acid or drain cleaner?

From what I remember of flies, they land on food and then throw up on it in order to suck up the resulting slurry. Could that slurry have a chemical or fragrant composistion comparative to H2SO4? As in, Hey someone else has already started the meal, I guess I shall land.

Silentnite

cyclonite4
March 18th, 2005, 11:29 PM
The acid comes from a pool chemical supplier as "fumeless pool acid".
It's original concentration is 34%.

Infact, here is a picture of the label (quite large, therefore not shown):
http://www.freewebs.com/cyclotrimethylenetrinitramine/chemistry/images/H2SO4.jpg

Maybe flies are just stupid, or have decided to have a feast at the exact location of the acid? :confused:

cyclonite4

http://www.freewebs.com/cyclotrimethylenetrinitramine/chemistry/images/H2SO4.jpg

Maybe flies are just stupid, or have decided to have a feast at the exact location of the acid? :confused:

cyclonite4

Silentnite
March 23rd, 2005, 07:53 PM
I am not sure if there is an applicable use for this or not. We have basically debunked the Idea for the H2SO4, BUT..

Over at the local Tool Supply company-better known as Harbor Freight- there is a refillable spray paint-looking can that you can fill with whatever you want and pressurize it. Maybe you already saw this though. Its only $4.

Silentnite
I am not sure if there is an applicable use for this or not. We have basically debunked the Idea for the H2SO4, BUT..

Over at the local Tool Supply company-better known as Harbor Freight- there is a refillable spray paint-looking can that you can fill with whatever you want and pressurize it. Maybe you already saw this though. Its only $4.

Silentnite

cyclonite4
March 24th, 2005, 12:36 AM
Only problem is finding something to spray which won't do significant damage to you when the aerosol is blown back by wind and what not... As Jacks Complete outlined, H2SO4 would blow back on the user and burn them...

You could make a mini flamer with the spray paint can though :D

cyclonite4
Only problem is finding something to spray which won't do significant damage to you when the aerosol is blown back by wind and what not... As Jacks Complete outlined, H2SO4 would blow back on the user and burn them...

cyclonite4

meselfs
March 25th, 2005, 09:32 PM
You could make a mini flamer with the spray paint can though

Excuse me for going OT, but from my experience the finest mini flamer is a carburator cleaner can. Go buy some, and note the ingredients: almost always, all of the contents are combustible, except the propellant: sometimes its propane and sometimes its CO2. Should be obvious which one you want.
Make sure you use the red little straw, just in case.

meselfs

Excuse me for going OT, but from my experience the finest mini flamer is a carburator cleaner can. Go buy some, and note the ingredients: almost always, all of the contents are combustible, except the propellant: sometimes its propane and sometimes its CO2. Should be obvious which one you want.

meselfs

cyclonite4
March 26th, 2005, 08:52 AM
You mean the thin red tube that attaches to the spray nozzle?

That reminds me, I used to use miniture WD40 cans as flamethrowers, they cost $2AUS, and last about 15 mins of constant flame. Using the red tube (designed to reach in locks) would give a long distance stream that would stay alight for about 30 secs. :)

cyclonite4

That reminds me, I used to use miniture WD40 cans as flamethrowers, they cost $2AUS, and last about 15 mins of constant flame. Using the red tube (designed to reach in locks) would give a long distance stream that would stay alight for about 30 secs. :)

cyclonite4

Silentnite
March 26th, 2005, 09:38 AM
I might mention that WD-40, starter fluid, brake cleaner, and several others are VERY good for this sort of aplication. Also the AXE bodyspray.

Ah, the flames of youth.... Time for a bonfire:D

Silentnite
I might mention that WD-40, starter fluid, brake cleaner, and several others are VERY good for this sort of aplication. Also the AXE bodyspray.

Silentnite

cyclonite4
March 26th, 2005, 10:12 AM
This has gotten quite OT, but speaking of bonfire, and flames of youth, sticking deodorant cans on fires calls for danger. :P

Infact, any can, even baked beans, if sealed airtight, will explode quite well on the fire (knowing from personal experience ;) ).

cyclonite4
This has gotten quite OT, but speaking of bonfire, and flames of youth, sticking deodorant cans on fires calls for danger. :P

Infact, any can, even baked beans, if sealed airtight, will explode quite well on the fire (knowing from personal experience ;) ).

cyclonite4

Silentnite
March 26th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Given that we have already discounted the idea of Said H2SO4 in a can idea, this has degenerated into a typical watercooler thread. We should have just one thread where we can just throwaway a conversation.

One last OT comment from me and then I'm good. I was at the local dollar-quality cheap store. Kinda like a stationary flea market. Anyways, I found a can of a substance that you use to test smoke-detectors. The substance says it is flammable. I thought it would be a fun thing to play around with at my house. :D For less then a dollar I can make my family think there's a fire. Or I can play a prank on friends...

But it might be a useful tool, should you be able to find it. :cool:

Silentnite
Given that we have already discounted the idea of Said H2SO4 in a can idea, this has degenerated into a typical watercooler thread. We should have just one thread where we can just throwaway a conversation.

One last OT comment from me and then I'm good. I was at the local dollar-quality cheap store. Kinda like a stationary flea market. Anyways, I found a can of a substance that you use to test smoke-detectors. The substance says it is flammable. I thought it would be a fun thing to play around with at my house. :D For less then a dollar I can make my family think there's a fire. Or I can play a prank on friends...

Silentnite

cyclonite4
March 26th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Couldn't you spray just about any random particulate and make the alarm go off.

I set off the alarm in a parking lot by just putting my zippo to the detector. I don't understand why they would put a smoke alarm in an open, 1-level carpark.

cyclonite4

I set off the alarm in a parking lot by just putting my zippo to the detector. I don't understand why they would put a smoke alarm in an open, 1-level carpark.

cyclonite4

meselfs
March 26th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Yeah, the thin red tube. Carb cleaner is ideal because it contains things like toulene, xylene, etc: the best of common hydrocarbons, and nothing else.

Concerning the supposed topic, could anyone confirm that anhydrous sulfuric acid won't attack steel at all? I'd be very surprised if that was true. Pure SO3 won't, mind you, neither will NO2. The anhydrides & lewis acids are OK, but the anhydrous acids aren't, if I'm not mistaken.

meselfs
Yeah, the thin red tube. Carb cleaner is ideal because it contains things like toulene, xylene, etc: the best of common hydrocarbons, and nothing else.

Concerning the supposed topic, could anyone confirm that anhydrous sulfuric acid won't attack steel at all? I'd be very surprised if that was true. Pure SO3 won't, mind you, neither will NO2. The anhydrides & lewis acids are OK, but the anhydrous acids aren't, if I'm not mistaken.

meselfs

cyclonite4
March 26th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Well, the information came from a school book, so natrually there is a good chance its bullshit :)
But if you think about it, acids only have their acidic properties when they are ionised (in water). It would be good to test, but I doubt anyone could prepare pure anhydrous sulfuric (from boiling down acid). Plus, its hygroscopic, thus testing is difficult.

cyclonite4
Well, the information came from a school book, so natrually there is a good chance its bullshit :)
But if you think about it, acids only have their acidic properties when they are ionised (in water). It would be good to test, but I doubt anyone could prepare pure anhydrous sulfuric (from boiling down acid). Plus, its hygroscopic, thus testing is difficult.

cyclonite4

Jacks Complete
April 5th, 2005, 07:53 PM
And there in lies the rub.

You keep this stuff in the open, and it absorbs water vapour, and then attacks the steel.

Sealed cans all round, and you had better ensure that there is no oil or anything else on anything that *will* react! Only a small amount of anything that will react to form water is bad, and hydrocarbons are on that list, iirc.

Jacks Complete

You keep this stuff in the open, and it absorbs water vapour, and then attacks the steel.

Sealed cans all round, and you had better ensure that there is no oil or anything else on anything that *will* react! Only a small amount of anything that will react to form water is bad, and hydrocarbons are on that list, iirc.

Jacks Complete

mediumcaliber
July 8th, 2005, 02:37 AM
It seems the most obvious useful variant would be something like prussic acid in a can. That should stop them fast :D I've been thinking about it some, and with something that should be farily potent and fast acting, it might be possible to shrink it down to something based on a lighter. If you can then use butane to pressurize it, you might even get the lighter to light -just don't use it to light your own cigar :p

I read some tech guide on storing oleum, and it said *thick walled* carbon steel, which will be passivated by a layer of iron sulfate, which I bet will be attacked/dissolved by any water, which of course is not a worry with oleum unless it's being handled by people who want a darwin award. It's also supposed to be understood that there will still be continued corrosion of the steel, and the tanks have a limited life. I suspect the life of an aerosol can would be 'until you stick it in your pocket and forget about it.' Especially since heat accelerates the corrosion.

mediumcaliber
July 8th, 2005, 02:37 AM
It seems the most obvious useful variant would be something like prussic acid in a can. That should stop them fast :D I've been thinking about it some, and with something that should be farily potent and fast acting, it might be possible to shrink it down to something based on a lighter. If you can then use butane to pressurize it, you might even get the lighter to light -just don't use it to light your own cigar :p

I read some tech guide on storing oleum, and it said *thick walled* carbon steel, which will be passivated by a layer of iron sulfate, which I bet will be attacked/dissolved by any water, which of course is not a worry with oleum unless it's being handled by people who want a darwin award. It's also supposed to be understood that there will still be continued corrosion of the steel, and the tanks have a limited life. I suspect the life of an aerosol can would be 'until you stick it in your pocket and forget about it.' Especially since heat accelerates the corrosion.