View Full Version : Potassium Chlorate method guidance needed

Marmaloon
March 10th, 2005, 10:45 AM
I have recently espied a method of Potassium Chlorate synthesis in my PMJB CD. The method described is to take 5 pounds of HTH swimming pool chlorine, and dissolve it in enough water to cause it to stay in solution, boiling it for a while, then adding 6.1 pounds of Potassium Sulphate, a material will reportedly fall out of solution, this is filtered out whilst the solution is still hot, the remaining clear solution is boiled until the pellicule forms, then you continue boiling it a bit more and cool it to get the product out of solution. Has anyone tried this method? If so, what is the average yield and does it give off noxious fumes which would attract unwanted attention. I have tried some other form of potassium chorate synthesis with HTH chlorine and I got nothing but a big mess. I have had much more success with the method using bleach and potassium chloride as the donor, I seemed to be getting about a 'tennis ball' sized lump of product(sorry I am a layman after all).

Marmaloon
I have recently espied a method of Potassium Chlorate synthesis in my PMJB CD. The method described is to take 5 pounds of HTH swimming pool chlorine, and dissolve it in enough water to cause it to stay in solution, boiling it for a while, then adding 6.1 pounds of Potassium Sulphate, a material will reportedly fall out of solution, this is filtered out whilst the solution is still hot, the remaining clear solution is boiled until the pellicule forms, then you continue boiling it a bit more and cool it to get the product out of solution. Has anyone tried this method? If so, what is the average yield and does it give off noxious fumes which would attract unwanted attention. I have tried some other form of potassium chorate synthesis with HTH chlorine and I got nothing but a big mess. I have had much more success with the method using bleach and potassium chloride as the donor, I seemed to be getting about a 'tennis ball' sized lump of product(sorry I am a layman after all).

Marmaloon