View Full Version : Adaption of things in toy shops & other gadgets

Jacks Complete
March 11th, 2005, 09:33 AM
However, wire it to one of these http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/BAT2TA_TOYS.htm or even better, one of these http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/ROODEF_TOYS.htm and you have a sentry gun or mobile kiling machine. In fact, I'm going to start a new thread on just such a topic.

So here it is. The first link is to a fair sized, 1Kg tracked RC tank, with a BB gun built into the main gun. One enterprising buyer states, "I tie wrapped an RF video camera to barrel, and now can shoot things round corners and far away."

The second link is to a toy "sentry gun". It may not fire more than foam discs, and it isn't clear if it actually tracks and fires, but it is only £20, and would seem worthy of closer investigation. A setting of four bursts, two bursts or just empty the mag. is quite wonderful!

Now, clearly either of these would seem to be open to exploitation. I doubt the SWAT team would know what to do if they came up against a threat like either of these. Probably try and shoot it, but it isn't about to duck and hide, unlike them. They have no idea it is a toy, either. It would certainly slow them down and warn you.

If modified to something of a somewhat higher power, on either chassis, they would certainly not just try to walk past it!

I am sure other members here have seen similar things. Let's hear the ideas!

Jacks Complete
However, wire it to one of these http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/BAT2TA_TOYS.htm or even better, one of these http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/ROODEF_TOYS.htm and you have a sentry gun or mobile kiling machine. In fact, I'm going to start a new thread on just such a topic.

So here it is. The first link is to a fair sized, 1Kg tracked RC tank, with a BB gun built into the main gun. One enterprising buyer states, "I tie wrapped an RF video camera to barrel, and now can shoot things round corners and far away."

The second link is to a toy "sentry gun". It may not fire more than foam discs, and it isn't clear if it actually tracks and fires, but it is only £20, and would seem worthy of closer investigation. A setting of four bursts, two bursts or just empty the mag. is quite wonderful!

Now, clearly either of these would seem to be open to exploitation. I doubt the SWAT team would know what to do if they came up against a threat like either of these. Probably try and shoot it, but it isn't about to duck and hide, unlike them. They have no idea it is a toy, either. It would certainly slow them down and warn you.

If modified to something of a somewhat higher power, on either chassis, they would certainly not just try to walk past it!

Jacks Complete

cyclonite4
March 11th, 2005, 10:17 AM
This of slightly different caliber than what you have there, but it's a modification of a small RC car with an explosive charge or similar attached to it. Of course it's most likely not an original idea, but it's fairly simple, cheap and appliable.

The sentry gun looks alrite... a little toy-like (but I guess thats an advantage).
It would take some modification for that sentry gun to withstand the recoil of a firearm. Something useful I came accross not too long ago was a spudgun-type technology called the cloud strafer... it's a homemade full-auto bb-gun. I predict that with a longer-lasting, stronger gas source, the strafer might be able to fire at lethal velocitys (apparently the unmodified can fire through a steel garbage can). Maybe swapping a strafer onto the sentry could be good?

I think modification of toys is a good subject... and i look forward to hearing more ideas...

EDIT: I also remember this now. Do you know of those two balls, that when they collide, they make a crack sound (they are sold at toy stores for a few bucks). I noticed on the back they are made from potassium chlorate, sulfur, and glass powder.

cyclonite4
This of slightly different caliber than what you have there, but it's a modification of a small RC car with an explosive charge or similar attached to it. Of course it's most likely not an original idea, but it's fairly simple, cheap and appliable.

The sentry gun looks alrite... a little toy-like (but I guess thats an advantage).
It would take some modification for that sentry gun to withstand the recoil of a firearm. Something useful I came accross not too long ago was a spudgun-type technology called the cloud strafer... it's a homemade full-auto bb-gun. I predict that with a longer-lasting, stronger gas source, the strafer might be able to fire at lethal velocitys (apparently the unmodified can fire through a steel garbage can). Maybe swapping a strafer onto the sentry could be good?

I think modification of toys is a good subject... and i look forward to hearing more ideas...

EDIT: I also remember this now. Do you know of those two balls, that when they collide, they make a crack sound (they are sold at toy stores for a few bucks). I noticed on the back they are made from potassium chlorate, sulfur, and glass powder.

cyclonite4

Jacks Complete
March 11th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Not heard of those glass ball things - likely banned long ago here.

The sentry gun could be fun if armed with CS or OC spray... Then accuracy and recoil aren't nearly the same issue. And an accurate shot would kind of make things worse!

There is a thread elsewhere on here about a full-auto BB gun, which seems very simple to make. I've played with one, and they are really fun. Turn up the air pressure and they get dangerous! The other option is something like loading a potato gun with BBs, but they can't really be left for long as the gas escapes, etc.

Jacks Complete

The sentry gun could be fun if armed with CS or OC spray... Then accuracy and recoil aren't nearly the same issue. And an accurate shot would kind of make things worse!

There is a thread elsewhere on here about a full-auto BB gun, which seems very simple to make. I've played with one, and they are really fun. Turn up the air pressure and they get dangerous! The other option is something like loading a potato gun with BBs, but they can't really be left for long as the gas escapes, etc.

Jacks Complete

Tribal
March 11th, 2005, 01:09 PM
That's really quite a great idea, I think it could have 9mm, .45, .22 SMG mounted on it. And - why need your men dead if you can send toys to rob a bank, fortifie the house or KILL A COP!!

Sentry guns are allways an interesting thing to have, so the cops wouldn't mess with you, some electrical coils could just pull the trigger when activated. Drum magazine or belt fed is absolutely nesserary.
A fine idea to begin construction, isn't it?

Tribal
That's really quite a great idea, I think it could have 9mm, .45, .22 SMG mounted on it. And - why need your men dead if you can send toys to rob a bank, fortifie the house or KILL A COP!!

Sentry guns are allways an interesting thing to have, so the cops wouldn't mess with you, some electrical coils could just pull the trigger when activated. Drum magazine or belt fed is absolutely nesserary.

Tribal

cyclonite4
March 11th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Good idea with the chem sprays!

You could use it with a lachrymator to clear rooms, the possiblities are great.
Something cheap like chloroacetone (or any other haloacetone) would serve useful as an internal defence/offense device. I'll search up some stuff on the strafer tommorrow. Maybe a small flamethrower (nice assault weapom) could be added?

cyclonite4

Something cheap like chloroacetone (or any other haloacetone) would serve useful as an internal defence/offense device. I'll search up some stuff on the strafer tommorrow. Maybe a small flamethrower (nice assault weapom) could be added?

cyclonite4

cyclonite4
March 11th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Here is one link relating to BB machine guns (and other pneumatics)
http://www.pcrad.3h.com/custom2.html

and here is a link to a topic similar to this one:
http://roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?t=1029&highlight=robot+wars

cyclonite4

cyclonite4

nbk2000
March 11th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Remove the turret from the toy tank, replace it with a command-fired grenade, and drive that under someones ass. :p

There's a thread by me about full-auto BB machineguns, and their use in a defense mode.

Somehting I thought of recently was to replace the standard steel BB with tungsten shot. At almost twice the density, and retaining the same velocity, you'd have greatly increased penetration, making it more than just dangerous, but lethal. :)

nbk2000
Remove the turret from the toy tank, replace it with a command-fired grenade, and drive that under someones ass. :p

There's a thread by me about full-auto BB machineguns, and their use in a defense mode.

Somehting I thought of recently was to replace the standard steel BB with tungsten shot. At almost twice the density, and retaining the same velocity, you'd have greatly increased penetration, making it more than just dangerous, but lethal. :)

nbk2000

cyclonite4
March 12th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Interesting. But I would of thought that increasing the projectile mass would lower the resulting velocity ( E=1/2mv^2 ).

Maybe with the help of some kind of cooling device, you could fire solid mercury shots. Surely if the shot itself doesn't kill, the mercury poisoning will do damage.

cyclonite4
Interesting. But I would of thought that increasing the projectile mass would lower the resulting velocity ( E=1/2mv^2 ).

Maybe with the help of some kind of cooling device, you could fire solid mercury shots. Surely if the shot itself doesn't kill, the mercury poisoning will do damage.

cyclonite4

nbk2000
March 14th, 2005, 06:14 PM
'retaining the same velocity' means exactly that. Just like a rifle bullet, the heavier it is, the more propellant you need to move it at the same speed as a lighter projectile with less propellant.

Use your brain.

nbk2000
'retaining the same velocity' means exactly that. Just like a rifle bullet, the heavier it is, the more propellant you need to move it at the same speed as a lighter projectile with less propellant.

Use your brain.

nbk2000

Use your brain.

Jacks Complete
March 14th, 2005, 07:14 PM
You would just have to up the air pressure and hence make the system more powerful.

Enough BBs for a continuous 10 minutes of firing - or, with a smooth slope and a basement to defend, have it set up like the fair, so the BBs come back to you, and feed back into the gun... Fire forever!

A radio system of crossed servos might be a way to do an RF video camera sentry gun, but you would need pretty solid servos to stop the recoil breaking anything & everything. You could put it under computer control if you were clever enough, or run it manually. Just limit the travel so it can't be turned 180 to face you!

Another cool toy that has a dual use is the little gadget kits you get, one of which is called the "Spy Tracker". It has three radio sensors that are tripped by changes in the light levels, and each one identifies itself to the base unit, which either flashes an LED (latching) or announces loudly "Sensor n!" and latches the LED. Reset to clear. Again the RF means they are jammable, but they only transmit after an event, and only one way, so they have already done the job. You even get a backlit drawing board to mark the map with the sensor positions.

Jacks Complete
You would just have to up the air pressure and hence make the system more powerful.

Enough BBs for a continuous 10 minutes of firing - or, with a smooth slope and a basement to defend, have it set up like the fair, so the BBs come back to you, and feed back into the gun... Fire forever!

A radio system of crossed servos might be a way to do an RF video camera sentry gun, but you would need pretty solid servos to stop the recoil breaking anything & everything. You could put it under computer control if you were clever enough, or run it manually. Just limit the travel so it can't be turned 180 to face you!

Another cool toy that has a dual use is the little gadget kits you get, one of which is called the "Spy Tracker". It has three radio sensors that are tripped by changes in the light levels, and each one identifies itself to the base unit, which either flashes an LED (latching) or announces loudly "Sensor n!" and latches the LED. Reset to clear. Again the RF means they are jammable, but they only transmit after an event, and only one way, so they have already done the job. You even get a backlit drawing board to mark the map with the sensor positions.

Jacks Complete

cyclonite4
March 14th, 2005, 11:06 PM
I am aware that it would require a greater amount of propellant. I was under the impression you were suggesting the velocity would remain constant regardless of the mass. Just a misreading of your post I guess. No harm done anyway :)

cyclonite4
I am aware that it would require a greater amount of propellant. I was under the impression you were suggesting the velocity would remain constant regardless of the mass. Just a misreading of your post I guess. No harm done anyway :)

cyclonite4