View Full Version : Acetone peroxide: worth the risk?

DaedalusX
March 17th, 2005, 07:50 PM
I'm getting more and more interested in making my own explosives. I've built my home lab, equipped myself with some security (shower, flame extinguisher) and glassware. Then I bough chemicals. I have acetone, H2O2 35%, Pentaerythritol, Nitric acid (70%) and Sulfuric acid (38%). I read a lot of info on the synthesis of AP, and yes it looks quite simple. But is it worth the risk. Everywhere it is written that AP is extremly explosive. I really don't know how I can detonate it safely. I'm thinking about using 223 brass, but I don't feel safe. There is a guy at school who blew himself with a 'peroxide solution', most probably AP. He lost an eye, and he was using lab googles. He said he was storing his explosives in a plastic bottle and when he opened the cap BOOOM!. I have access to some pretty good chemicals, so should I make PETN instead? I would just need small quantities of AP to detonate it, also I'm pretty sure PETN have bigger yeild than AP. Do you think it's worth it to make AP in big quantities since the chemicals are all available OTC and doesn't cost a lot?

DaedalusX
I'm getting more and more interested in making my own explosives. I've built my home lab, equipped myself with some security (shower, flame extinguisher) and glassware. Then I bough chemicals. I have acetone, H2O2 35%, Pentaerythritol, Nitric acid (70%) and Sulfuric acid (38%). I read a lot of info on the synthesis of AP, and yes it looks quite simple. But is it worth the risk. Everywhere it is written that AP is extremly explosive. I really don't know how I can detonate it safely. I'm thinking about using 223 brass, but I don't feel safe. There is a guy at school who blew himself with a 'peroxide solution', most probably AP. He lost an eye, and he was using lab googles. He said he was storing his explosives in a plastic bottle and when he opened the cap BOOOM!. I have access to some pretty good chemicals, so should I make PETN instead? I would just need small quantities of AP to detonate it, also I'm pretty sure PETN have bigger yeild than AP. Do you think it's worth it to make AP in big quantities since the chemicals are all available OTC and doesn't cost a lot?

DaedalusX

twotonetony95
February 25th, 2006, 12:26 AM
It is definitely worth it, but you got to make sure you follow Mega's Procedures closely or else something could go wrong. To prevent from having the AP from getting on the threads of a container and exploding when you open it, just use a mason jar that has the thin lid that sits on top and seals it and hold it on with a rubber band. If you don't do anything stupid then nothing should go wrong and blow up in your face.