View Full Version : Wiping the Firefox cache

megalomania
March 19th, 2005, 01:03 AM
There are many tools out there to securly wipe the history and cache of IE, but what of firefox? Firefox seems to do things a little differently than IE. I found the cache folder, but I can't get any apps to automatically find and purge the files. As for the history files I have no ideas where those are.

The first person that says go to tools/options/privacy and delete them gets banned! That is a simple delete, no good for any kind of security. I want those files multi-wiped and scrubbed dozens of times with a real cache cleaner.

megalomania
There are many tools out there to securly wipe the history and cache of IE, but what of firefox? Firefox seems to do things a little differently than IE. I found the cache folder, but I can't get any apps to automatically find and purge the files. As for the history files I have no ideas where those are.

The first person that says go to tools/options/privacy and delete them gets banned! That is a simple delete, no good for any kind of security. I want those files multi-wiped and scrubbed dozens of times with a real cache cleaner.

megalomania

malzraa
March 19th, 2005, 01:54 AM
Why not just use wipe? Here is the command-
wipe -r ~/.mozilla/firefox/*default/Cache
but wipe only works on ext2, not a journalled fs.

malzraa

malzraa

Silentnite
March 19th, 2005, 03:40 AM
I have found several different ways to do it. Bear with me, and any files needed are being uploaded to the FTP and I am also compressing into a .rar to torrent on the other server.

MRU-Blaster.exe
MRU-Blaster is a program made to do one large task - detect and clean MRU (most recently used) lists on your computer. These MRU lists contain information such as the names and/or locations of the last files you have accessed. They are located ALL OVER your registry, and for almost ANY file type. By looking at these MRU lists, someone could determine what files you opened/saved/looked at, what their file names were, and much more! (And, in many cases, the lists are displayed in drop-down menus automatically.) With additional plug-ins that allow you to clean out your Temporary Internet Files index.dat and Cookies, MRU-Blaster enhances the protection of your privacy! Just let run RMU-Blaster Scheduler in the background and your system is always clean and after reboot the index.dat has his original size of 32 KB back.

CleanMOCache.exe
It will delete all browser tracks, AutoComplete, WinXP tracks and the deletion of user created additives.

The following is a comprehensive list:
· Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox/Opera cache files
· Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox/Opera History and index.dat
· Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox/Opera Cookies (with selective save)
· Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox saved logins (with selective save)
· Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox/Opera Typed URLs
· Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox/Opera Form AutoComplete
· Recent Documents
· Start Run History
· Search History
· Windows Temporary Directory
· Windows Media Player
· Windows Word Pad
· Microsoft Office Applications
· Clipboard
· Registry MRUs
· Recycle Bins
· Create additives to delete user specified files/directories and registry entries
· Secure wiping (Single pass, DoD and NSA deletions)

I wrote CleanMOCache to be very unobtrusive...just set it and forget it. CleanMOCache runs from the system tray and will clean after any Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox/Opera browser close, Windows startup and Windows Shutdown.

Requires .NET Framework 1.1

Historysweep.exe
* HistorySweep is one of the most advanced feature rich product of it's kind!
* Remove & erase Temporary Internet Files.
* Remove & erase Browser History Files.
* Remove & erase Browser URL Drop Down List.
* Remove & erase Website Cookies.
* Remove & erase Google ToolBar History.
* Cleans Index File (index.dat).
* Remove & erase Browser AutoComplete.
* Remove & erase Cache, History, and Cookie index.dat.
* All features can be enabled and disabled at your discretion!
* Saves wanted Cookies with Cookie Keeper.
* Remove & erase QuickTime, Media Player, and RealPlayer Recent Files List.
* Remove & erase Yahoo ToolBar History.
* Kills Popups in Internet Explorer.
* Popup Toggle Key: Enable/Disable All Popups.
* Tooltip Prompting when Popups Killed.
* Boss Key: Hide All Browser Windows.
* Stealth Key: Hide HistorySweep Tray Icon.
* Automatically sweep files in Stealth Mode.
* Automatically sweep when all browsers are closed.
* Protects Internet Explorer Homepage from changes by websites.
* Encrypts files up to 99 times before removal.

Hopefully one of these will meet with your approval Mega. I personally am going to start using CleanMOCache, because it looks to be the best designed one. All of these are freeware. Good luck.

EDIT: Torrent file seems to be working, havent been able to connect to the FTP yet, but as soon as it does, its there.

EDIT2: Torrent File is working, and files have been upped to the FTP as CleanMOCache.exe, HistorySweep.exe, mrublastersetup.exe, and dotnetfx.exe
You only need dotnetfx if you havent installed the .Net architecture.

Silentnite
I have found several different ways to do it. Bear with me, and any files needed are being uploaded to the FTP and I am also compressing into a .rar to torrent on the other server.

MRU-Blaster.exe
MRU-Blaster is a program made to do one large task - detect and clean MRU (most recently used) lists on your computer. These MRU lists contain information such as the names and/or locations of the last files you have accessed. They are located ALL OVER your registry, and for almost ANY file type. By looking at these MRU lists, someone could determine what files you opened/saved/looked at, what their file names were, and much more! (And, in many cases, the lists are displayed in drop-down menus automatically.) With additional plug-ins that allow you to clean out your Temporary Internet Files index.dat and Cookies, MRU-Blaster enhances the protection of your privacy! Just let run RMU-Blaster Scheduler in the background and your system is always clean and after reboot the index.dat has his original size of 32 KB back.

CleanMOCache.exe
It will delete all browser tracks, AutoComplete, WinXP tracks and the deletion of user created additives.

· Recent Documents
· Start Run History
· Search History
· Windows Media Player
· Windows Word Pad
· Clipboard
· Registry MRUs
· Recycle Bins
· Create additives to delete user specified files/directories and registry entries

I wrote CleanMOCache to be very unobtrusive...just set it and forget it. CleanMOCache runs from the system tray and will clean after any Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox/Opera browser close, Windows startup and Windows Shutdown.

Historysweep.exe

Hopefully one of these will meet with your approval Mega. I personally am going to start using CleanMOCache, because it looks to be the best designed one. All of these are freeware. Good luck.

EDIT: Torrent file seems to be working, havent been able to connect to the FTP yet, but as soon as it does, its there.

EDIT2: Torrent File is working, and files have been upped to the FTP as CleanMOCache.exe, HistorySweep.exe, mrublastersetup.exe, and dotnetfx.exe

Silentnite

MRU-Blaster.exe

CleanMOCache.exe

· Recent Documents
· Start Run History
· Search History
· Windows Media Player
· Windows Word Pad
· Clipboard
· Registry MRUs
· Recycle Bins

Historysweep.exe

Skean Dhu
March 19th, 2005, 04:30 PM
I recently had firefox troubles, and was forced to go back to regular mozilla. does anyone have any idea what may have caused this?
It wouldn't load pages, instead it would tell me they were under construction and other nonsense.

Skean Dhu
I recently had firefox troubles, and was forced to go back to regular mozilla. does anyone have any idea what may have caused this?
It wouldn't load pages, instead it would tell me they were under construction and other nonsense.

Skean Dhu