View Full Version : Protecting a Double-Bond

Tricosane
March 23rd, 2005, 05:13 AM
I've been trying to figure out a way to theoretically synthesize Testosterone (or if that fails, Androstenedione) from Progesterone. I've run into a bit of a snag, though. I intend to turn a C-C single bond into a C=C bond, then break it via ozonolysis. However, the molecule has a pre-existing C=C double bond elsewhere that would also be broken. Do you know of any way to protect that double bond? Any sort of protecting groups out there?

Tricosane
I've been trying to figure out a way to theoretically synthesize Testosterone (or if that fails, Androstenedione) from Progesterone. I've run into a bit of a snag, though. I intend to turn a C-C single bond into a C=C bond, then break it via ozonolysis. However, the molecule has a pre-existing C=C double bond elsewhere that would also be broken. Do you know of any way to protect that double bond? Any sort of protecting groups out there?

Tricosane

FUTI
June 29th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Try addition of bromine over double bond, then ozonolysis, and after that remove the bromine with zinc forming the double bond again.

FUTI
June 29th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Try addition of bromine over double bond, then ozonolysis, and after that remove the bromine with zinc forming the double bond again.