View Full Version : Copper Acetylide - Archive Thread

Anthony
March 5th, 2003, 06:09 PM
^Baphomet^
A new voice
posted February 15, 2001 10:18 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well lately i`ve been reading the improvised primary explosives and i found a recipe to make copper acylide by making some copper hydroxide (by mixing copper sulfat and sodium hydroxide both dissolved in water and then filtering the WHITE copper hydro...)and then bubleing acetylene gas triugh the copper hydroxide solution .....
but when i tried to make it it didnt work coz 1st when i mixed the 2 solutions the resulting solid was blue not white and while i was filtering it it turned dark brown or black .and when i tried to dissolve it in water to buble the C2H2 it didnt dissolve .
so plz guys does any one have another recipe for copper acetylide ?
------------------
{6@pH0m3t}
do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law...

simply RED
Frequent Poster
posted February 16, 2001 06:28 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a jar and place in 25 grams powdered copper and 12grams CuCl2. Pour 50-60 cm3 conc. hydrochloric acid. Heat this until it starts to boil and the green colour of the solution should disappear. Wait until it cools to room temperature and pour it into distiled water(it is said "pour it into a glass of distiled water') and white precipitate of CuCl should form. Mix this with 25% ammonia solution(NH3) until the precipitate dissolves.
CuCl+2NH3=[Cu(NH3)2Cl]
Bubble acetylene through this solution to get red-brown precipitate of Cu2C2.2H2O which is the cuprum acetylide.
This is from "Demonstrations of Inorganic Chemistry" which is university maual and not some crap book, I've never tried this, but I hope it works! also not sure about the last reaction, it could be something like
2[Cu(NH3)2Cl]+C2H2=Cu2C2+2NH4Cl+2NH3???

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted February 19, 2001 11:02 AM
Right but you forgot to tell:
-the green color of CuCl2 truns into a dark brown color when heated with HCl and Cu.
-The white CuCl precipitate can't be kept long so use it fast by filtering it and then dissolving it in NH3 solution (the solution turns blue).
-after bubbling the C2H2 through the blue solution filter it fast and wash it with distillated water, then aceton, then ether and let dry (because water gives the parasit reaction Cu2C2-->CuC2 + Cu- no difference in color but the later is no more explosive!!!I have had that bad experiment and even heating it when dry afterwards on a flamme only gave a little spark)!! Very sensitive explosive stuff so don't store too much in one place nor manipulate!!!
------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o )"

TheBear
March 28th, 2003, 04:27 PM
It is always stated that Cu2C2 is very sensitive, more sensitive than Ag2C2, but how sensitive is it compared with other primaries?

PHILOU talks about using ether to make sure it gets dry, is it really necessary or is it ok just to use acetone? I would guess one would like to store this in a dessicator with some CaCl2 for example?

I have also wondered wheter this reaction would yield CuCl:

Cu2S + 2HCl ---> 2CuCl + 2H2S

Cu2S is easily prepared by boiling sulfur with copper.
As for the toxic H2S. I guess one could lead the gas stream through a flame to avoid breading H2S (I rather breath a little SO2).

Boob Raider
April 2nd, 2003, 04:02 PM
Why waste H2S ... lead it through NaOH or NH4OH to get the pure sulfides required for picric acid reduction, but thats a secondary issue.
You are most likely to end up with CuCl2. Cu2Cl2 can be made by heating a solution of CuCl2 in conc HCl with Cu dust/turnings etc. like suggested in the earlier posts. Ammonical cuprous chloride test is used to test alkynes (tripple bond) so I suppose any alkyne will form its corrosponding salt.
I think I read some where that if Cu2C2 is stored under H2O .... it will slowly release C2H2. So I suggest desensitizing it with acetone/ethOH etc.
Oh BTW Cu2C2 is significantly less sensitive than Ag2C2. I would rate Cu2C2 to be around NG sensitivity.

<small>[ April 02, 2003, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Boob Raider ]</small>