View Full Version : Prepaid Cell Phone Detonators for Cheap!

2,4,6-TNP
March 24th, 2005, 02:44 AM
It has come to my attention that cell phones have been used succesfully
around the world to trigger explosive devices. Of course the great
advantage here is you can literally be on the other side of the world
when the bomb goes off. Prepaid cell phones are cheap (under $40.00 US)
and no one can discover your identity as they never ask you for any
personal info to start the service up. Just put it in your shopping cart and
you got a first class electronic trigger.

There is just one problem. How the hell do you use a cell phone to set off a bomb?
That's what this thread is all about. Talking about possible ways to set it up so when you call the phone it will trigger your bomb. Any suggestions? Electronic
schematics? :cool:

2,4,6-TNP

There is just one problem. How the hell do you use a cell phone to set off a bomb?
That's what this thread is all about. Talking about possible ways to set it up so when you call the phone it will trigger your bomb. Any suggestions? Electronic

2,4,6-TNP

Silentnite
March 24th, 2005, 03:06 AM
Maybe wiring a trigger into the speaker wire. When the ringer goes off, so does the explosive.

But then it has been awhile since I played with electronics. You may need to step up the voltage, well, the current anyways.

Silentnite
Maybe wiring a trigger into the speaker wire. When the ringer goes off, so does the explosive.

But then it has been awhile since I played with electronics. You may need to step up the voltage, well, the current anyways.

Silentnite

akinrog
March 24th, 2005, 03:20 AM
That's not the case in my country. Even if you purchase a prepaid cell phone, you have to show up your ID. In addition, even if you do not have to show up your ID, there are many survailance cameras which may be used in revealing your ID.

BTW, while just using speaker wires for detonation purpose might work, it is not very safe. What if somebody accidentally call your prepaid cell phone's number? So somewhat additional electronics may be needed (for example you simply set your phone to auto-answer and attach an electronic devices (something containing DTMF decoder, which is set up to trigger detonator when decoding a certain tone combination)). Regards.

akinrog
That's not the case in my country. Even if you purchase a prepaid cell phone, you have to show up your ID. In addition, even if you do not have to show up your ID, there are many survailance cameras which may be used in revealing your ID.

BTW, while just using speaker wires for detonation purpose might work, it is not very safe. What if somebody accidentally call your prepaid cell phone's number? So somewhat additional electronics may be needed (for example you simply set your phone to auto-answer and attach an electronic devices (something containing DTMF decoder, which is set up to trigger detonator when decoding a certain tone combination)). Regards.

akinrog

Silentnite
March 24th, 2005, 03:29 AM
Heh, I forgot about accidental dialing. That would be rather .. Unfortunate. *Here we go, one last wire to connect.. There! Finished.* -ring, ring- *OH. Oh shit*

There is various ways of defeating the instore cameras. Or you could do the underage thing and pay a bum to go buy one for you.

But I believe, you could turn it off, until you reached your destination and then hooked it up and turned it on. Still the possibility though. Or, there is the fact that you can set an alarm on you phone. Just turn off the dialing part, and you have an advanced and relatively expensive timer device. :D

Off topic but, I had a lady accidently call my phone and said *Hi, I am not sure if this is you Lisa, but if it is, Linda died last night.* -CLICK- I debated whether or not to call her back. I didnt. I did not enjoy being interrupted on my vacation with news of someone dieing just because some lady couldnt be bothered to not finger fuck her phone.

Silentnite
Heh, I forgot about accidental dialing. That would be rather .. Unfortunate. *Here we go, one last wire to connect.. There! Finished.* -ring, ring- *OH. Oh shit*

There is various ways of defeating the instore cameras. Or you could do the underage thing and pay a bum to go buy one for you.

But I believe, you could turn it off, until you reached your destination and then hooked it up and turned it on. Still the possibility though. Or, there is the fact that you can set an alarm on you phone. Just turn off the dialing part, and you have an advanced and relatively expensive timer device. :D

Off topic but, I had a lady accidently call my phone and said *Hi, I am not sure if this is you Lisa, but if it is, Linda died last night.* -CLICK- I debated whether or not to call her back. I didnt. I did not enjoy being interrupted on my vacation with news of someone dieing just because some lady couldnt be bothered to not finger fuck her phone.

Silentnite

cyclonite4
March 24th, 2005, 04:39 AM
Like akinrog, I am also forced to surrender all personal information when getting a cellpone (the SIM card specifically).

As for using a phone as a detonater, I can see a few problems, wiring to the speaker being the greatest one. Sometimes my phone services sends random promotional offers, now wouldnt that be inconvenient :D

Last year, I was constructing a remote rocket trigger, and to prevent accidental firing, I used a tone generator on the transmitter, and a tone decoder on the reciever. This means that a certain tone must be transmitted in order for a realy to switch. I'm sure you could do the same on a phone. ;)

cyclonite4
Like akinrog, I am also forced to surrender all personal information when getting a cellpone (the SIM card specifically).

As for using a phone as a detonater, I can see a few problems, wiring to the speaker being the greatest one. Sometimes my phone services sends random promotional offers, now wouldnt that be inconvenient :D

Last year, I was constructing a remote rocket trigger, and to prevent accidental firing, I used a tone generator on the transmitter, and a tone decoder on the reciever. This means that a certain tone must be transmitted in order for a realy to switch. I'm sure you could do the same on a phone. ;)

cyclonite4

Child-of-Bodom
March 24th, 2005, 07:28 AM
I have made one of these, it is relativly simple.

Safety is a large point, I chose for it to use a time-relais, it gets a signal when I set the system to 'armed' ,waits a set amount of time, (between 3 and 60 sec. in my case) and switches then. This switch opens one the wires coming out of my phone. Then I can call to the mobile...
I really don't know where you can get the time relay's, nor a price... this one was a freebee :)

Don't bother about the speaker, use the signal that goes to the 'vibrator' in the phone. Open the phone, get the small motor out, and solder 2 wires to the connections.

The signal from the phone to the motor is not enough to trigger a relay, but with the aid of an transistor, this is done easily. (I don't have it here, so I do not have any part nr..). This is hooked to a 9V battery, or another power supply with a voltage high enough to trigger the relay.
Set a capacitor over the trigger end of the relay, a phone gives pulses when it vibrates (bzzz- bzzz- bzzz), where you want a long pulse. I use a 25V 10.000uF cap. The relay must be as robust as possible (16A is good), as it switches a 12V 1,2Ah accu short over a resistance wire.

I have sevaral LED's on this box, to check or the system is on, to check or there is voltage over the socket, (big LED) to check or the relay of the phone is active, to see the position of the time relay, etc.
There is even a halogen lamp build in, so I don't have to take a torch.
A phone-recharger on 12V is optional, (take in account that a phone when it is charging, isn't vibrating!!) There is also a jack-plug present to charge the 12V accu.

I'll see or I can make a scheme of it, as it is rather complicated.(I don't have it here though, so I have to remember by heard..) It was not too hard to make, in one saturday it should be ready, except for the paining then.
I really hope I was a bit clear, if anyone has a question, please ask.

Child-of-Bodom

Safety is a large point, I chose for it to use a time-relais, it gets a signal when I set the system to 'armed' ,waits a set amount of time, (between 3 and 60 sec. in my case) and switches then. This switch opens one the wires coming out of my phone. Then I can call to the mobile...
I really don't know where you can get the time relay's, nor a price... this one was a freebee :)

Don't bother about the speaker, use the signal that goes to the 'vibrator' in the phone. Open the phone, get the small motor out, and solder 2 wires to the connections.

The signal from the phone to the motor is not enough to trigger a relay, but with the aid of an transistor, this is done easily. (I don't have it here, so I do not have any part nr..). This is hooked to a 9V battery, or another power supply with a voltage high enough to trigger the relay.
Set a capacitor over the trigger end of the relay, a phone gives pulses when it vibrates (bzzz- bzzz- bzzz), where you want a long pulse. I use a 25V 10.000uF cap. The relay must be as robust as possible (16A is good), as it switches a 12V 1,2Ah accu short over a resistance wire.

I have sevaral LED's on this box, to check or the system is on, to check or there is voltage over the socket, (big LED) to check or the relay of the phone is active, to see the position of the time relay, etc.
A phone-recharger on 12V is optional, (take in account that a phone when it is charging, isn't vibrating!!) There is also a jack-plug present to charge the 12V accu.

I'll see or I can make a scheme of it, as it is rather complicated.(I don't have it here though, so I have to remember by heard..) It was not too hard to make, in one saturday it should be ready, except for the paining then.

Child-of-Bodom

mongo blongo
March 24th, 2005, 11:22 AM
http://www.serasidis.gr/circuits/smscontroller/smscontroller.htm

mongo blongo

mongo blongo

2,4,6-TNP
March 25th, 2005, 02:51 AM
I didn't mean for anyone to think that it matters if anyone knows your
identity for the cell phone, after all There is no way of finding out which
cell phone was used to blow up a bomb as all they have is a list of
calles made during that time which will be in the millions and the phone
will be completly destroyed if it is placed right. A high explosive can easily
turn a cell phone ito a pile of burnt dust. If there is any questions just say
you lost your phone at a bar or something. Make the call to the phone on a
pay phone, not your land line at home!

One problem I have found with using the speaker wires of an alarm clock
or any speaker wires is that they use alternating current which doesn't seem to help much in heating your electric match to an ignition.

Has there been any research into how the Madrid train bombers used the phones to trigger their bombs? Ovbiously there are a lot of "terrorists" out there that have
very good information about how to trigger a bomb with a cell phone,
considering the fact that you hear about them doing it in many countries on
a regular basis. This info would be very interesting for the members here.

Edit: I just realised something: when my cell phone is called it turns on a green
light to display the screen, I can hook up a sensitive electric match to the wires
to the light, thus when the phone is called boom! You just have to be careful
not to trigger the light prematurely by making the final step at ground zero!

2,4,6-TNP

or any speaker wires is that they use alternating current which doesn't seem to help much in heating your electric match to an ignition.

Has there been any research into how the Madrid train bombers used the phones to trigger their bombs? Ovbiously there are a lot of "terrorists" out there that have

Edit: I just realised something: when my cell phone is called it turns on a green
light to display the screen, I can hook up a sensitive electric match to the wires

2,4,6-TNP

cyclonite4
March 25th, 2005, 04:00 AM

You can use a capacitor to change the pulse length. Maybe a bridge rectifier (4 diodes in a certain pattern) could convert it to DC current?

cyclonite4

You can use a capacitor to change the pulse length. Maybe a bridge rectifier (4 diodes in a certain pattern) could convert it to DC current?

cyclonite4

Dave Angel
March 25th, 2005, 08:45 AM
IIRC the Madrid train bombers made the mistake of reusing the mobiles they used to call the detonator mobiles. I think the bomb squad recovered a detonator mobile from a bomb which didn't go off and then just waited until the terrorists turned their phones on again... DOH! :rolleyes:

If one were to use this for a malicious purpose it would be wise to work some sort of timed failsafe into the phone to obliterate it should the main charge fail. Oh, and not to use your own mobile to detonate it, as has been mentioned.

As a few have said, there are some countries where you have to give everything but a retinal scan to get a SIM card, or at least to register it - the UK being one of them. 2,4,6-TNP, are you saying you are in the US when you quoted the anonymous cell phone price as $40 US? It would be surprising given the post 9/11 security crackdown if they let you get away with this there!

Dave Angel
IIRC the Madrid train bombers made the mistake of reusing the mobiles they used to call the detonator mobiles. I think the bomb squad recovered a detonator mobile from a bomb which didn't go off and then just waited until the terrorists turned their phones on again... DOH! :rolleyes:

If one were to use this for a malicious purpose it would be wise to work some sort of timed failsafe into the phone to obliterate it should the main charge fail. Oh, and not to use your own mobile to detonate it, as has been mentioned.

As a few have said, there are some countries where you have to give everything but a retinal scan to get a SIM card, or at least to register it - the UK being one of them. 2,4,6-TNP, are you saying you are in the US when you quoted the anonymous cell phone price as $40 US? It would be surprising given the post 9/11 security crackdown if they let you get away with this there!

Dave Angel

Child-of-Bodom
March 25th, 2005, 09:32 AM
I got my prepaid SIM-card in the UK without showing any ID papers, I had to give an adress and a name, but nothing more... Thereby...a stolen mobile is not hard to get ;)

One problem I have found with using the speaker wires of an alarm clock or any speaker wires is that they use alternating current which doesn't seem to help much in heating your electric match to an ignition.

The current which goes through your speaker is NOT enough to set off an electric match, as a speaker does not consume a lot of current. Try to set a capacitor over it, to elongate the signal, and a transistor with a 9V battery to trigger a relay.

From my own experience with cooking-timers, to get a good pulse from a signal to a speaker is very, very hard, I had to use 2 transistors, and a couple of other things. At the end it was so complicated I quit with the idea.

Íf your phone has a vibrating alarm, go and try that, it is much easier.

The light idea is also good, but remember: if anyone in the country dails the wrong nr, if you get a SPAM text, if the battery runs out, if you puch a button on the phone... you have a big problem... you have to work in the dark either, as I wouldn't like to have a torch on with a light sensitive detonator.

Child-of-Bodom
I got my prepaid SIM-card in the UK without showing any ID papers, I had to give an adress and a name, but nothing more... Thereby...a stolen mobile is not hard to get ;)

One problem I have found with using the speaker wires of an alarm clock or any speaker wires is that they use alternating current which doesn't seem to help much in heating your electric match to an ignition.

The current which goes through your speaker is NOT enough to set off an electric match, as a speaker does not consume a lot of current. Try to set a capacitor over it, to elongate the signal, and a transistor with a 9V battery to trigger a relay.

From my own experience with cooking-timers, to get a good pulse from a signal to a speaker is very, very hard, I had to use 2 transistors, and a couple of other things. At the end it was so complicated I quit with the idea.

The light idea is also good, but remember: if anyone in the country dails the wrong nr, if you get a SPAM text, if the battery runs out, if you puch a button on the phone... you have a big problem... you have to work in the dark either, as I wouldn't like to have a torch on with a light sensitive detonator.

Child-of-Bodom

Silentnite
March 25th, 2005, 10:27 AM
I am sure some willing member from this here USofA would be willing to send a buddy a phone to call him with. Who knows? But then there is the possibility of it being a sting. Or knowing where you live. Unless you have a drop box. Anyways.

I know that with my phone I can turn of the ringer, turn of the lights and turn of the vibration. If someone calls I can have it do nothing at all. Therefore It would be possible to set it up as an alarm because I can set that up seperately. But that would be a problem cause you would like to set it off at a certain time or sooner if someone came along.

So then, the DTMF would be the best idea. Call your phone, have it automagically answer. Then hit say 007, or some such thing. All the while using Child-Of-Bodom*s plans with the vibration. That should work nicely.

BTW, good explanation.

Silentnite
I am sure some willing member from this here USofA would be willing to send a buddy a phone to call him with. Who knows? But then there is the possibility of it being a sting. Or knowing where you live. Unless you have a drop box. Anyways.

I know that with my phone I can turn of the ringer, turn of the lights and turn of the vibration. If someone calls I can have it do nothing at all. Therefore It would be possible to set it up as an alarm because I can set that up seperately. But that would be a problem cause you would like to set it off at a certain time or sooner if someone came along.

So then, the DTMF would be the best idea. Call your phone, have it automagically answer. Then hit say 007, or some such thing. All the while using Child-Of-Bodom*s plans with the vibration. That should work nicely.

BTW, good explanation.

Silentnite

BTW, good explanation.

Jacks Complete
March 27th, 2005, 06:51 PM
02 (almost) give them away for 99p each on their website, and so people sell them on Ebay. Hell, they sell the whole phone on ebay! That makes it fairly easy to find people selling phones that you can email or ask seller a question on, and buy them on the side.

Second-hand shops are useful, too. Just take a SIM card you have already anonymised with you to try them out. If doing something serious, go somewhere away from you, as the mobile phone records might be able to tie your position and the number to a date, and hence to the CCTV. Buy the phone and leave it for a while - two weeks is normally more than enough for the tapes to be re-used.

Silentnite, your last quote is such a perfect truth. Orwell was a genius.-- People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Jacks Complete
02 (almost) give them away for 99p each on their website, and so people sell them on Ebay. Hell, they sell the whole phone on ebay! That makes it fairly easy to find people selling phones that you can email or ask seller a question on, and buy them on the side.

Second-hand shops are useful, too. Just take a SIM card you have already anonymised with you to try them out. If doing something serious, go somewhere away from you, as the mobile phone records might be able to tie your position and the number to a date, and hence to the CCTV. Buy the phone and leave it for a while - two weeks is normally more than enough for the tapes to be re-used.

Silentnite, your last quote is such a perfect truth. Orwell was a genius.-- People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Jacks Complete

Rocket-Boy
March 28th, 2005, 12:12 AM
you people could just grab a small electronic relay from a science mag or something, rather than using something like a car relay. i made one of these neeto detonators awile ago that used a 1.5v relay that i got from edmund scientific before it became edmund optics. the relay could complete the circut that had the 9v on it, and the detonator was some steel wool (actually, a small loop of steel ribon) with BP on it, that went to a rocket. i used it to launch a rocket. the steel wool trick can be found in http://roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?t=1740

Rocket-Boy
you people could just grab a small electronic relay from a science mag or something, rather than using something like a car relay. i made one of these neeto detonators awile ago that used a 1.5v relay that i got from edmund scientific before it became edmund optics. the relay could complete the circut that had the 9v on it, and the detonator was some steel wool (actually, a small loop of steel ribon) with BP on it, that went to a rocket. i used it to launch a rocket. the steel wool trick can be found in http://roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?t=1740

Rocket-Boy

HVD
May 10th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Lots of random thoughts:

Woolworths (uk) and other places now sell prepay mobile phones for £20 or so. You do not have to give any details. Ebay is an option, but then there is forever a record that you bought the phone. Car boot sales etc are another option, but always buy your phone with cash and leave time between buying and "using" the phone. New phones from shops are the best bet i think, as there will be no previous record or history associated with the phone.

Buy your phone with cash and well before you intend to use it. CCTV footage is never kept for long, although with digital recording the time is extending - some footage is archived forever now on DAT tape etc. Either way, disguise yourself somewhat, always leave plenty of time between buying and using your phone.

Never turn on your phone or let it register with the network anywhere that could be linked to you.

Use a DTMF decoder chip and the audio output from the handsfree kit. Set the phone to auto answer. You'll also need a PIC or similar microprocessor to store the digital (BCD) output from the DTMF decoder IC and give a valid output when you have punched in your chosen "PIN" code. Then of course a triggering relay or preferrable something solid state, like a high current transistor / SCR etc. (a sharp knock can easily trigger a relay momentarily) All this is realtively simple to do and prevents false triggering.

Call your phone from a pay phone and make sure there is no CCTV coverage of the phone. Wear gloves when inserting the coins, using the phone etc. Assume the authorities will come to the payphone eventually.

Assume they will look at the cellular "cell" that the device was in and find the calls that were made around the time of detonation. They will in all likelyhood try and backtrack / checkup on every call made around that time - even in a metropolitan area it wont be an impossible number of calls.

Always assume that some bits will be left of your phone and they will be able to ID it. Rip off the IMEI tags and file any serial numbers etc you can see. No point in making their life any easier.

HVD
Lots of random thoughts:

Woolworths (uk) and other places now sell prepay mobile phones for £20 or so. You do not have to give any details. Ebay is an option, but then there is forever a record that you bought the phone. Car boot sales etc are another option, but always buy your phone with cash and leave time between buying and "using" the phone. New phones from shops are the best bet i think, as there will be no previous record or history associated with the phone.

Buy your phone with cash and well before you intend to use it. CCTV footage is never kept for long, although with digital recording the time is extending - some footage is archived forever now on DAT tape etc. Either way, disguise yourself somewhat, always leave plenty of time between buying and using your phone.

Never turn on your phone or let it register with the network anywhere that could be linked to you.

Use a DTMF decoder chip and the audio output from the handsfree kit. Set the phone to auto answer. You'll also need a PIC or similar microprocessor to store the digital (BCD) output from the DTMF decoder IC and give a valid output when you have punched in your chosen "PIN" code. Then of course a triggering relay or preferrable something solid state, like a high current transistor / SCR etc. (a sharp knock can easily trigger a relay momentarily) All this is realtively simple to do and prevents false triggering.

Call your phone from a pay phone and make sure there is no CCTV coverage of the phone. Wear gloves when inserting the coins, using the phone etc. Assume the authorities will come to the payphone eventually.

Assume they will look at the cellular "cell" that the device was in and find the calls that were made around the time of detonation. They will in all likelyhood try and backtrack / checkup on every call made around that time - even in a metropolitan area it wont be an impossible number of calls.

Always assume that some bits will be left of your phone and they will be able to ID it. Rip off the IMEI tags and file any serial numbers etc you can see. No point in making their life any easier.

HVD
Lots of random thoughts:

nbk2000
May 25th, 2005, 03:10 PM
When calling from a payphone, you'll also want to cover the handset with a plastic baggie that you take with you when you're done.

I remember when they were looking for the UNABOMBER, that they tried lifting DNA from the mouthpiece of a payphone that he called someone from, so obvioulsy there's that risk. But, since you're just using it to punch in numbers, gloves would be adequate. :)

nbk2000
When calling from a payphone, you'll also want to cover the handset with a plastic baggie that you take with you when you're done.

I remember when they were looking for the UNABOMBER, that they tried lifting DNA from the mouthpiece of a payphone that he called someone from, so obvioulsy there's that risk. But, since you're just using it to punch in numbers, gloves would be adequate. :)

nbk2000

malzraa
May 26th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Why not hook it up to a modem and an old pc? The old Bell 202 is notoriously reliable, and that way you could just use a Virtual Terminal to detonate it using a few commands, thus eliminating the chances of an accidental detonation. hooking it up would be as easy as splicing the headset to a phone jack and plugging her in.

malzraa
Why not hook it up to a modem and an old pc? The old Bell 202 is notoriously reliable, and that way you could just use a Virtual Terminal to detonate it using a few commands, thus eliminating the chances of an accidental detonation. hooking it up would be as easy as splicing the headset to a phone jack and plugging her in.

malzraa

Jacks Complete
May 27th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Further thoughts:

Don't leave DNA on the mobile phone, don't forget that a lot of phone boxes are covered by CCTV from outside (3 million cameras in the UK!) and that they will take your DNA for any offence in the UK, even just a suspicion, and it will remain on record FOREVER! even if you are found innocent.

Jacks Complete
Further thoughts:

Don't leave DNA on the mobile phone, don't forget that a lot of phone boxes are covered by CCTV from outside (3 million cameras in the UK!) and that they will take your DNA for any offence in the UK, even just a suspicion, and it will remain on record FOREVER! even if you are found innocent.

Jacks Complete
Further thoughts:

nbk2000
May 27th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Always a good idea to put a sandwich baggie over a payphone handset, anytime you need to use one, as you never know when the piggies will come looking for DNA from it. Could be the next person to use it after you is the next UNABOMBER! :eek:

Oh, and use an object to push the buttons, not your finger.

nbk2000
Always a good idea to put a sandwich baggie over a payphone handset, anytime you need to use one, as you never know when the piggies will come looking for DNA from it. Could be the next person to use it after you is the next UNABOMBER! :eek:

nbk2000

hot04wrx
June 12th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Here in the U.S. you can walk into any Wal-Mart, pick up a pre-paid for $15.00 or under, check out with cash and no ID and no one bats an eye. You don’t even have to register the phone to use it. The phone gives you between 2 and 5 minutes of incoming service before forcing you to register it for further service.

webuyhouses
June 16th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Although I can't be sure of the brand, I have seen phones that let you choose a different ring tone or style for each incoming number.

So attach your det to the vibrator, and set the number you plan to trigger with to vibrate, and all others are silent. hopefully if it doesn't pull any tricks on you, no chance of it going off early. Just be sure text messages, advertisements, etc, don't vibrate also.

Tinton
June 16th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Sort of along the lines of webuyhouses's idea, is fixed dialing. Many phones have fixed dialing settings, so you can set your phone to only recieve calls from certian numbers. This would prevent people who can't dial the right phone number from blowing you up.
Then again, if you plan to use a payphone, you would have to know the number of the actual payphone to program it into your phone/detonator.

As for speaker wire detonators, any beeps, boops, or premature sounds would set it off. Thats why phones have silent modes though ;)

Fourfifth
June 17th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Im part way through making a det with a mobile phone, for use with model rockets. The way Im doing it is having the speaker contacts feed into an atmel chip with DTFM encoding/decoding. So until I enter a set number on the phone, it will not detonate, regardless of who calls.

webuyhouses
June 18th, 2007, 12:19 PM
When making a call from a calling card, the recipients caller ID shows a number where the call is from, but redialing does not call back the landline, payphone, or whatever the call was made from.

I figure if you make sure your calling card sends the same ID number each time you could use that to make any pay phone seem the same to the receiving phone. I know its not foolproof, but it is a simple way to reduce your chances of an accident.

Cindor
June 23rd, 2007, 01:34 AM
I find this video about cell phone detonators, really nice
http://www.tricklife.com/view.php?id=676

Hirudinea
July 17th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Heres a link from Hack-a-Day about a cell phone/dtmf operated door lock, call up on your cell phone, enter the proper numbers (no numbers, no activation) and n electromechanical device opens your door lock.
Now I'm sure we all know this device could be easily adapted to triggering a bomb, so for all you electronic geniuses heres the link...

http://ashishrd.blogspot.com/2007/07/cell-phone-controlled-door-latch.html

And remember blowing up your cell phone in the commission of a terrorist bombing voids your warranty. :)

ChippedHammer
July 20th, 2007, 12:53 PM
A SMS controller is the best approach, they are very versatile and can be cheaply purchased. You can set it so you have to login to the device by first sending a SMS with the password then you can turn on a output with a different word.

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_102670/article.html

Hirudinea
July 20th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Chipped, your link dosn't have the full article for free. If you have the article could you post it or if you have the password please post that.

nbk2000
July 20th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Don't publicly post passwords!

If there's a resource that's exploitable, PM me and mega with the info, and we'll rip the site, uploading the extracted honey to the FTP or rapidshare.

I've attached an article I found elsewhere about making SMS-controlled relays. :)

rollie
July 21st, 2007, 11:31 AM
I was thinking about this today, and in countries where Mobile phones and, more importantly, SIM cards require ID/registration (unlike the UK) could the same principle of using the speaker to trip a simple relay be applied to one of those handheld CB radios/ walkie talkies?

Obviously the range is much smaller, but at least it would be harder to monitor and there may be less chance of interference if using an empty transmittion frequency?

stupid939
July 23rd, 2007, 04:08 PM
It could and has been done by many of the forum members, I'm sure. You could hook up a vibrating motor like the link above shows, but if you wanted to hook it up to a relay, you would have to amplify the voltage (the lowest voltage relay that I have seen was 3-5V).

FireBomb
July 28th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Hmm has anyone thought of using an online program to place the call or send an sms message like Skype.

Just use a laptop from your local free wifi coffee shop or where ever. Heck steal it from someone stupid enough not to protect there wifi. Then the closest they can ever get to you is the ip address of where ever you connected to the net.

Just an idea that no one suggested.

Keserian
July 31st, 2007, 07:27 PM
The biggest issue would the MAC address.

Every wireless or wired card has a MAC (Machine Authentication Code, I think, been a while since I learned this) address that is built in. Now, the MAC address can be spoofed (falsified), but that isn't always fool-proof. The bright side is that it's hard to track a computer by it's MAC address (If I recall correctly, a MAC address doesn't go past the router), but it could be used in a court case to show that yes, this was the computer that sent the code.

Now, if you were setting off a string of bombs, you could pick up a really cheap WiFi card, paying with cash, use the card, then break it into really tinny pieces and bury them somewhere.

Now, all of this is immaterial if you are using it for legal purposes (such as setting off a model rocket).

blocks
July 31st, 2007, 10:16 PM
NO NO NO, they said PREPAID PHONES, that means NO simcards, and they are MUCH harder to trace, There was one incident in Iraq where EOD technicians were disarming a cell phone bomb, and it blew up and may have killed one of the technicians to my knowledge. The guy who detonated it, was watching them, waited till he thought it was a good time to detonate...and called it. They probably got the simcard because they traced the number, went to his home and arrested him.

Get PREPAID versions!!!

Keep in mind the sunni people in Iraq that make the best, most innovative IEDs are people who have degrees from places MIT and Ivy League colleges, and know very well what they are doing electronically, and unless you really know what you are doing its risky to use a cell phone detonator...Now unless you need to hit a precise target driving by a road you do not need this. There are enough time delays that go between 2 to 3 days, be inventive.

Keserian
August 1st, 2007, 02:44 PM
And even if you do know, it's still risky. Sometimes they don't go off, or go off late. For example:

http://crypto.nsa.org/f-21/01-call-missed.jpg

Even the "professionals" make misses now and then.

FireBomb
August 1st, 2007, 07:29 PM
Even the "professionals" make misses now and then.

Well you do make a good point but I would hardly call the makers of this device "professionals".

I'm sure this has already been discussed but someone could always use a hand held palm pc with wifi capabilities and a directional antenna or high gain omnidirectional antenna and send a encoded signal to it.

801.11b devices properly modified have seen ranges of several km but the downside is most of the time this is in a single fixed direction.

This technology can also be applied to low band communication devices such as short range VHF two way radios giving a much much longer range.

ccw8076
November 1st, 2007, 07:23 PM
I was looking through this thread, and the others which related to cell phones as detonators, and then I looked up others means of detonating explosives without using the electronic components. I found this on You tube of all places:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF72RcHlQVk

It looks plausible; plus it uses only mechanical components in the phone.

BlackFalcoN
November 1st, 2007, 08:11 PM
Not very safe or reliable in my opinion.

Replacing the electrovibrator in the phone and soldering a SCR (or even a transistor if you are unable to obtain a SCR ) and some wires, isn't exactly rocket science, but will provide a much safer and reliable means of closing the electric circuit (for whatever purpose).

Just imagine the consequences of an unplanned slip or bump or even a very strong gust of wind with the method display in that Youtube video. Anything that will make the 2 wires touch each other will make the armed circuit go off, not just the vibrator closing it.

Yes, this mechanical way can definitely work, but it's only suitable as a last resort or when electronic components can not be acquired at all.

nbk2000
November 1st, 2007, 10:51 PM
What would be even safer would be something that doesn't use the vibrator at all, as any phone call or message would set it off, like SMS spam (which I get weekly).

Rather, a PIC or such would be programmed so that only a specific message, or caller-ID, would activate the device.

Shadowmartyr
November 23rd, 2007, 11:47 PM
You guys are making this way to difficult. Modification of electronic devices to be made into detonators is not as hard as it sounds.

Here is a list of common electronics that can be somewhat easily made into remote detonators: cordless telephone (average length 1000ft, must be the pager type), citizens band radio, FM Wireless microphone and receiver, auto-alarm paging system, kids toy "walkie talkie" (not recommended, frequency is used by many other electronics-and it also has limited range) , radio paging systems, and of course cell phones.

And since the topic is about modifying cell phones into detonators I will discuss this. The cheapest and easiest cell phone for this method in the US are the prepaid ones which can be bought at walmart. The brand name is "Trac phone". Time cards are unnecessary since the phone already has 10minutes of time already on the phone before more time must be added.

There are two ways to set this off. You can use the "alarm" feature in the tools section of the phone, and make sure the ringer is set to on. Or you can just leave the phone on so it can be called at any time.

It's as simple as attaching your blasting cap wires to the ringer terminals on the back of the phone. The wires can be taken off the ringer or left on, either way the phone should have enough voltage to set off an improvised electrical detonation device (light-bulb method).

BlackFalcoN
November 24th, 2007, 12:19 AM
It's as simple as attaching your blasting cap wires to the ringer terminals on the back of the phone. The wires can be taken off the ringer or left on, either way the phone should have enough voltage to set off an improvised electrical detonation device (light-bulb method).

It's not the voltage that is the problem, it's the current that can be drawn from the cellphone ringer circuit.

Remember that the current must be high enough to make a thin bridge wire glow hot enough to make the primary in the blasting cap react and detonate, which most ringer circuits will not be able to provide (running in miliamps rather than amps).

Also, the power graph from the ringer signal isn't a steady flat DC signal, rather a fluctuation of levels to generate a preselected ring tone.

Attaching a blasting cap to a weak, unpredictable signal is everything but reliable, hence unsafe. Your aim is 100% operational success, not something that will work 'most of the time'.

Battery life and maximal current from cell phones decline as time progresses when the cell phone is turned on, where as an external power supply is only used when the attached circuitry is closed.

Simply adding an external power supply that can provide enough current to detonate the blasting cap and a 'switching' component (transistor/SCR) will provide far greater reliability and can be attached universally to any low current signal device (alarm, timer, PLC, cell phone, radio, ... ) by resoldering 2 low current wires.

The whole idea is to use a low current signal to switch on a high current circuit which detonates the blastingcap; not to use the low current signal to detonate the BC.

Shadowmartyr
November 24th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Remember that the current must be high enough to make a thin bridge wire glow hot enough to make the primary in the blasting cap react and detonate, which most ringer circuits will not be able to provide (running in miliamps rather than amps).

You need to realize what kind of detonator is being used, the cap that is made is actually used to detonate the blasting cap, you need to be aware of the technique used. This is how the bridge is made for the loss of milliamps required to detonate the actual blasting cap (the wire doesn't have to be "glowing red hot").

Also, the power graph from the ringer signal isn't a steady flat DC signal, rather a fluctuation of levels to generate a preselected ring tone.

The ringer is responsible for the actual fluctuation's of sound you hear coming from it, the wire leading to it provides a constant stream of direct current from the battery.

Attaching a blasting cap to a weak, unpredictable signal is everything but reliable, hence unsafe. Your aim is 100% operational success, not something that will work 'most of the time'.

If your eluding to the frequency it operates at that is not a problem. This phone operates at short UHF frequencies of 800mhz.

Actually I have one of the tracphones I described above for use in an emergencey. I once accidentally left it in my trucks glove box for close to a week when it was still on (it was fully charged when I had put it in there). And once I had realized it was not in my house and I ran out to get it surprisingly it still had 2 bars left.

But honestly, if your not going to be using the device within 2-3 days of planting you shouldn't use it at all, for the chance it would be discovered is obviously greater.

Simply adding an external power supply that can provide enough current to detonate the blasting cap and a 'switching' component (transistor/SCR) will provide far greater reliability and can be attached universally to any low current signal device (alarm, timer, PLC, cell phone, radio, ... ) by resoldering 2 low current wires.

If your going to go to all that trouble it would probably be easier to use a programmable PIC timer with circuit board (for a timed device anyway..).

BlackFalcoN
November 24th, 2007, 01:02 AM
The ringer is responsible for the actual fluctuation's of sound you hear coming from it, the wire leads to it provide a constant stream of direct current from the battery.

So you are saying that for every different ringtone I have in my cell phone, I have a different physical ringer ?

And honestly, if your not going to be using the device within 2-3 days of planting you shouldn't use it at all, for the chance it would be discovered is obviously greater.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst ;)
Seriously, it all depends what you try to achieve and how critical a reliable detonation is for you in the situation you are in.

If your going to go to all that trouble it would probably be easier to use a programmable PIC timer with circuit board (for a timed device anyway..).

Total time needed to solder a 20 cent transistor to a scrap PCB, and attach a 3$ 1400 mA battery pack = 4 minutes (2 minutes to get the iron hot), electronic timers (countdown / fixed time alarm) can be found for 3-4$ (e.g. Velleman Countdown timer). Far less trouble than assembling and programming a more expensive PLC ?

Try beating those construction times and costs with a programmable PLC...

Regardless of the 'trigger' circuitry you use, you still need a way to translate a low input current signal in a high output current circuit...

http://www.designnotes.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/TIMER5.JPG
Velleman Countdown timer

Shadowmartyr
November 24th, 2007, 01:08 AM
So you are saying that for every different ringtone I have in my cell phone, I have a different physical ringer ?

No I am saying that the ringer converts the current into whatever ring-tone is assigned on the phone.

Regardless of the 'trigger' circuitry you use, you still need a way to translate a low input current signal in a high output current circuit...

This is the problem with all of the other electronics I listed above, except the mobile and two-way phone with the pager.

overcookedpizza
December 30th, 2007, 09:02 AM
"Rather, a PIC or such would be programmed so that only a specific message, or caller-ID, would activate the device."

Such a thing has been already made.
http://godlovesmeat.com/spatulatzar/wireless_detonator/
Scroll down for the schematics, on the website it has been done for a cordless phone, but it works for a cell phone just fine (using the headset port)

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/4237/img1620vf9.jpg (my own)

It will not activate unless you enter the proper code. The website explains pretty well on the details of how it works.
Incase anyone wants to build one, microchip.com provides samples of the necessary pic microcontroller, but you will require something to program it with.

Farmboy
January 3rd, 2008, 08:22 AM
To save time if using a pay phone missing it's # use an ANI # (U.S.) I just used the # I used in my work (I've been out of the biz for 3 years) the # is:101 07321 770 988 9664. This way you can,within reasonable assurence,program the payphone's # into your trgger device.

Positron
January 30th, 2008, 09:48 PM
No doubt, the devil's in the details with this one.

To a degree, it could easily and effectively be done with the following three things:

1. A prepaid cellphone
2. A beefy (100A) 800V SCR from Digikey.com or Mouser.com
3. The disposable cameras + homemade EBW detonator spoken of in the last few pages of the thread titled "Erythritol Tetranitrate".

As mentioned before, the reliability and safety of this arrangement would mainly be dependent on an unwanted call triggering the device.

So, if you're a third-World self-destructive piece of extremist religious shit, a 1% chance of dying (and/or a failed mission op) would probably be acceptable.

You'll need to consider the details if you aren't that type. To do this, you'll probably need to design your own electronic solution. It's not as hard as it sounds, but it'll have to be done in one way or another.

For a near-100% margin of safety, a delay unit (THAT YOU CAN TRUST YOUR LIFE TO) will be needed to arm the device long after you've walked away from it. Use a relay, wired with its output contacts directly in series with the detonator. When the delay unit times out, it closes the relay contacts, which allows current to flow to the bridgewire when the incoming call finally happens.

To achieve near-100% operational reliability, yes, it will be necessary to keep unwanted calls from triggering the device.

PIC processors, BASIC stamps, computers+software, DTMF decoders, PLC's, all that will work great; but they're too complicated to be of use to most people.

Here are some options:

1. Use two or more phones, each with their own relay contacts in series with the detonator. Either phone may receive an unwanted call at any time, but it's a slim chance that they would ever ring at the same time.. Reliability could be increased even further if the phones (and network providers) were different. To trigger the device, just call both phone numbers at the same time (two more prepaid phones!).

2. Use just one phone (as described above), and a digital counter circuit. If the phone receives a call (not just "rings") 10 times in a row, it activates the relay. The chance of the prepaid phone's number being dialed 10 times in a row, is low.

I realize that not everyone can whip up such things as a "digital counter circuit".

Anyone else have ideas? The simpler, the better...

Always test before you use................

BlackFalcoN
January 31st, 2008, 07:40 AM
You also could get a cellphone that allows you to choose custom ring tones for different events (SMS, call, alarm clock etc), and disable the vibrating motion for all callers EXCEPT your 'detonation trigger event'

For example:

You have 2 cellphones, with each an anonymously obtained SIM card.

Cellphone 1 with number 555-999111 has been modified, where the vibrator has been replaced with a SCR that triggers your blasting cap.
You disable all ring tones and vibration for all calls on cellphone1, then define a custom ring tone for when number 555-012345 (cellphone 2) calls. This custom ring tone will be something that normally would utilize the vibrator, but in this case would trigger the SCR.

Cellphone1 can be spammed/called with thousands of events, but since you have disabled all ring tone action for them, the SCR will only be triggered when Cellphone2 calls.
(logical: IF IncomingCallnumber == "555-012345" then vibrator = on ELSE vibrator = off ).

This will be an extra safety feature, additional to the obvious 'ARM' button which you only enable after planting the explosive charges.

Undoubtably people, it also can be done with PIC's, PLC's and DTMF decoders; but every additional feature will increase the cost of the device and every additional component has an additional chance to fail.

Like a great mind once said : " Plan for failure but keep it simple stupid " ;)

Charles Owlen Picket
January 31st, 2008, 10:27 AM
You also could get a cellphone Actually at this juncture the countdown timer concept you outlined is perhaps one of the few items that have virtually no specific countermeasures. The cellphone and cordless phone concepts have been used to such a degree that so many countermeasures are now in place as to make them very questionable. Jamming devices abound and some can be very simple. Jamming cell phones is actually (almost) a whole sub-industry in radio electronics; some of it sophisticated and reserved, some not.

On a professional level, virtually all encoded wireless blast boxes are now no longer used in industry. They are still sold by some firms but industrial mining operations no longer employ them due to some in house issues that brought a class action law suite due to tragedy. They have so many disclaimers that insurance firms no longer cover them when used professionally. [Our civilian airways are filled with "junk" as to make them unreliable.] In a war zone the counter measures abound. They (cordless methods) had their heyday for about a decade and are now in disrepute. Industry does use "jump" cordless encoding for several meters but not to provide distance. It's simply to provide code input for safety.

Wallybanger
November 16th, 2008, 07:08 AM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is that most phones today run a Java OS and that you could either write a java program for your phone or write up a completely new OS to do exactly what you want.

iHME
November 16th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Not "Java OS" they just support java programs, it has some benefits.
As the developers don't have to port the program to all possible cell phone operating systems. Systems like Symbian can support C coded programs that are compiled for it.