View Full Version : Chloralose

cyclonite4
March 25th, 2005, 03:55 AM
While looking up some properties of chloral in the McGraw Hill Dictionary of Chemistry, I noticed a short description of a chemical called chloralose. Apparently it is made by heating chloral with dextrose. It is also a hypnotic like chloral, but I have a feeling it will either be more powerful or have use in a special application. :cool:

A google search yeilded little information. Infact, google insisted on correcting my spelling to chloralase, which is a different compound (used as a bird repellant).

Has anyone here heard of/synthesised/experimented with choralose?
I would try myself, but I have yet to build a still (for ethanol used in making chloral).
Maybe someone here has the materials required to synthesis a small amount and test it?

cyclonite4
While looking up some properties of chloral in the McGraw Hill Dictionary of Chemistry, I noticed a short description of a chemical called chloralose. Apparently it is made by heating chloral with dextrose. It is also a hypnotic like chloral, but I have a feeling it will either be more powerful or have use in a special application. :cool:

A google search yeilded little information. Infact, google insisted on correcting my spelling to chloralase, which is a different compound (used as a bird repellant).

I would try myself, but I have yet to build a still (for ethanol used in making chloral).
Maybe someone here has the materials required to synthesis a small amount and test it?

cyclonite4

Silentnite
March 25th, 2005, 04:32 AM
It is rather interesting. Altavisting and I found a report on Erowid about Heffter, the man who discovered LSD. No mentin of choralose in the article, although I did a site search and it brought up the same article again. So that may be a route to take.

It is also mentioned in an article about Euthanasia. It said it is a bad route to take, as it is * Choralose - cerebral depression to slow *

At Erowid another mention in the article was *He also worked in the laboratory of Rudolph Böhm, where he discovered choralose* So maybe a search on Rudolph.

Alltheweb.com returned a lot of hits. But most were for Alpha-choralose. Same molecule or different?

Silentnite
It is rather interesting. Altavisting and I found a report on Erowid about Heffter, the man who discovered LSD. No mentin of choralose in the article, although I did a site search and it brought up the same article again. So that may be a route to take.

It is also mentioned in an article about Euthanasia. It said it is a bad route to take, as it is * Choralose - cerebral depression to slow *

At Erowid another mention in the article was *He also worked in the laboratory of Rudolph Böhm, where he discovered choralose* So maybe a search on Rudolph.

Alltheweb.com returned a lot of hits. But most were for Alpha-choralose. Same molecule or different?

Silentnite

cyclonite4
March 25th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Sure it wasn't alpha-chloralase?

AFAIK there is only one chloralose, but several chloralases.

cyclonite4

cyclonite4

Silentnite
March 25th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Online Banders' Services
... cannon or rocket nets, use of alpha-choralose, mist nets, and other permit restrictions ...

Erowid Arthur Heffter Vault
... He also worked in the laboratory of Rudolph Böhm, where he discovered choralose. After receiving his M.D ...

Euthanasia
... Choral hydrate - cerebral depression to slow. Choralose - cerebral depression to slow ...

Arthur Heffter
... the laboratory of Rudolph Böhm, where he discovered choralose, a compound produced by combining chloral and glucose ...

Table 4
... Other. Alpha-Choralose. (1% w/v) ...

Bradypus - Three-Toed Sloth
... of the three-toed sloth, Bradypus tridactylus, to some commonly used pharmacological agents 2.Choralose and reserpine ...

... of the three-toed sloth, Bradypus tridactylus, to some commonly used pharmacological agents 2.Choralose and reserpine ...

BBC News | SCOTLAND | Protected eagle found poisoned
A young Golden Eagle whose nest was protected round-the-clock by volunteers has been found poisoned. ... found dead having taken bait laced with alpha-choralose - a poison used for many years to kill wildlife ... the bird had been poisoned with alpha-choralose. "I suspect that ...

Complexity Digest 2000.38: Toward A Unified Theory Of Narcosis
... anesthetic agents, the existence of anesthetics, such as choralose, that cause both loss of consciousness and elevated ...

THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE POISONS ACT 1972 IN RELATION TO LISTED SELLERS
File type:PDF - Download PDF Reader
... • aldicarb alpha-choralose ammonia ammonia ... • aldicarb alpha-choralose barium silico-fluoride ...

That is just the first page of results. And all of the pages did indicate either the chloralose, or the alpha-chloralose. It might still be wrong, as we all know people just tend to grab things off the web without verifying the fact-worthiness of the article. So it could be one long chain of events. But yeah. As far as I can be, Im sure it was the alpha-<B>chloralose</B>.

Silentnite
Online Banders' Services
... cannon or rocket nets, use of alpha-choralose, mist nets, and other permit restrictions ...

... He also worked in the laboratory of Rudolph Böhm, where he discovered choralose. After receiving his M.D ...

Euthanasia
... Choral hydrate - cerebral depression to slow. Choralose - cerebral depression to slow ...

Arthur Heffter
... the laboratory of Rudolph Böhm, where he discovered choralose, a compound produced by combining chloral and glucose ...

Table 4

A young Golden Eagle whose nest was protected round-the-clock by volunteers has been found poisoned. ... found dead having taken bait laced with alpha-choralose - a poison used for many years to kill wildlife ... the bird had been poisoned with alpha-choralose. "I suspect that ...

... anesthetic agents, the existence of anesthetics, such as choralose, that cause both loss of consciousness and elevated ...

... • aldicarb alpha-choralose ammonia ammonia ... • aldicarb alpha-choralose barium silico-fluoride ...

That is just the first page of results. And all of the pages did indicate either the chloralose, or the alpha-chloralose. It might still be wrong, as we all know people just tend to grab things off the web without verifying the fact-worthiness of the article. So it could be one long chain of events. But yeah. As far as I can be, Im sure it was the alpha-<B>chloralose</B>.

Silentnite
Online Banders' Services

Euthanasia

Arthur Heffter

Table 4

cyclonite4
March 25th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Damn! I've mistaked my chloralose and chloralase. :(

To get it straight: Chloralase is the hypnotic, Chloralose and alpha-chloralose are the repellants/posions. Besides the names being similar, so are the formulas.
Chloralase: C8H11Cl3O6
Chloralose and alpha-chloralose: C8H11O6Cl3

Very confusing. None-the-less, chloralase, the matter of interest, is prepared by heating chloral with dextrose.

Could a mod please rename the thread to chloralase?

cyclonite4

To get it straight: Chloralase is the hypnotic, Chloralose and alpha-chloralose are the repellants/posions. Besides the names being similar, so are the formulas.

Very confusing. None-the-less, chloralase, the matter of interest, is prepared by heating chloral with dextrose.

cyclonite4

Silentnite
March 25th, 2005, 07:20 PM
As if it couldnt get any harder. None of my resources mention Choralase. There is about one or two hits. With one being a dictionary type-page that lists every word and word combination possible. The second one is a pdf which supposedly mentions an alpha-choralase which actually should be chloralose. Netscape did return the most results though. All detailing its use as a anesthetic. None the preparation.

Hopefully someone here has access to more chemical search facilities then I do.

Silentnite
As if it couldnt get any harder. None of my resources mention Choralase. There is about one or two hits. With one being a dictionary type-page that lists every word and word combination possible. The second one is a pdf which supposedly mentions an alpha-choralase which actually should be chloralose. Netscape did return the most results though. All detailing its use as a anesthetic. None the preparation.

Silentnite