View Full Version : Chlorinated dioxane on par with nerve gasses?

Ropik
March 29th, 2005, 02:02 AM
Yesterday, reading the Scientific principles of improvised warfare and home defence, I noticed that Tobiason says that if you treat dioxane with chlorine in water, new compound is made, with toxicity level comparable with nerve gasses. Anybody has informations about this? I'm a bit suspicious, because why it should be so poisonous?
If true, it would be outstanding chemical weapon, because dioxane can be normally bought and chlorine isn't especially hard to get.

Ropik
Yesterday, reading the Scientific principles of improvised warfare and home defence, I noticed that Tobiason says that if you treat dioxane with chlorine in water, new compound is made, with toxicity level comparable with nerve gasses. Anybody has informations about this? I'm a bit suspicious, because why it should be so poisonous?
If true, it would be outstanding chemical weapon, because dioxane can be normally bought and chlorine isn't especially hard to get.

Ropik

Bugger
April 9th, 2005, 07:26 PM
What compound would that be? Complete chlorination of 1,4-dioxane, the most commonly encountered isomer, would give 2,3,5,6-octachloro-1,4-dioxane. A chlorinated organic compound like this one which is also an ether would be highly toxic to at least insects, and no doubt many other animals.

Bugger
What compound would that be? Complete chlorination of 1,4-dioxane, the most commonly encountered isomer, would give 2,3,5,6-octachloro-1,4-dioxane. A chlorinated organic compound like this one which is also an ether would be highly toxic to at least insects, and no doubt many other animals.

Bugger