View Full Version : Modifying Airgun's esp. for German's!

Myrol
April 9th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Hi Guy's! Well, I have cruel news to all of you! I have stolen some Chemicals out of my Companies Lab and unfortunately, they observed me and called the police.

The Assholes asked me to dead for what I need Magnesium powder or Perchloric Acid so it didn't took long until the "LKA" (=Landes-kriminal-amt in German) knocked on the Door.

Fortunately, I was able to set back some very critical chemicals in the evening after they screwed me and BEFORE the "LKA" cleared my cellar. So far so good, the were very nervous after seeing two gallons of Acetone and some Hydrogen Peroxide in my "Lab" so they asked and asked and asked me again if I ever made "TATP" just for Fun.....I sayed nothin' but they've found 500ml MEKP and 1,85kg Urea Nitrate :mad: ...Ohh dear....it will be a horrible end I think....

Back on topic: Like you all know, I'm know a little wrecked and MUST give up ALL my plans wich are bonded to the Rogue Science Chemistry :(

I change know to some more "legal" things, especially Airguns!

My questions: Has somebody some good Idea's how to make Airgun's fairly stronger, because in Germany I would need a License to get an Airgun wich is stronger than some poor 7,5Joules :rolleyes:

I know this is embarassing.

The only Idea wich came to my mind is just worth a try with a very cheap or old Airgun! 1st: Insert a pellet and push it a little deeper than ordinary in the barrel. 2nd: pour some TATP over the Diabolo, compress it a little and push the next Diabolo over the TATP to close the "chamber"....Push the Trigger and BAAAM, perhaps you have a much stronger Airgun than normal.

I dont know if this works, perhaps the barrel could explode, perhaps the last pellet will be rammed inside the mechanism but if everything works fine, the rapid compression of the TATP due to the shot will prime it and poke the pellet with much greater force out of the barrel than normal. That' my first suggestion!

My second: Methods to silence Airguns. Ok Airguns are very quiet compared to shotguns or other Rifles, but in Germany are Weapons very rare and the neighbours get fast nervous if they hear a tiny bang. I wrapped my Airgun tight with a thick blanket. The shot was so quiet that I even could hear how the Diabolo whizzed away! But of course, aiming or other useful things are then impossible!

Most of the Sound (I would say 95%) comes from the machanism. A Silencer would be just wasting money. I'll try some things how to silence Airgun's but I think it will end up with no result!

P.s. There are extra-strong springs free available. I could reach 330m/s with my Gamo Hunter 440 if I had such a spring inside my Gun. If somebody has an advice how to build in such a spring correctly, please let me know it!

Myrol
Hi Guy's! Well, I have cruel news to all of you! I have stolen some Chemicals out of my Companies Lab and unfortunately, they observed me and called the police.

The Assholes asked me to dead for what I need Magnesium powder or Perchloric Acid so it didn't took long until the "LKA" (=Landes-kriminal-amt in German) knocked on the Door.

Fortunately, I was able to set back some very critical chemicals in the evening after they screwed me and BEFORE the "LKA" cleared my cellar. So far so good, the were very nervous after seeing two gallons of Acetone and some Hydrogen Peroxide in my "Lab" so they asked and asked and asked me again if I ever made "TATP" just for Fun.....I sayed nothin' but they've found 500ml MEKP and 1,85kg Urea Nitrate :mad: ...Ohh dear....it will be a horrible end I think....

Back on topic: Like you all know, I'm know a little wrecked and MUST give up ALL my plans wich are bonded to the Rogue Science Chemistry :(

My questions: Has somebody some good Idea's how to make Airgun's fairly stronger, because in Germany I would need a License to get an Airgun wich is stronger than some poor 7,5Joules :rolleyes:

The only Idea wich came to my mind is just worth a try with a very cheap or old Airgun! 1st: Insert a pellet and push it a little deeper than ordinary in the barrel. 2nd: pour some TATP over the Diabolo, compress it a little and push the next Diabolo over the TATP to close the "chamber"....Push the Trigger and BAAAM, perhaps you have a much stronger Airgun than normal.

I dont know if this works, perhaps the barrel could explode, perhaps the last pellet will be rammed inside the mechanism but if everything works fine, the rapid compression of the TATP due to the shot will prime it and poke the pellet with much greater force out of the barrel than normal. That' my first suggestion!

My second: Methods to silence Airguns. Ok Airguns are very quiet compared to shotguns or other Rifles, but in Germany are Weapons very rare and the neighbours get fast nervous if they hear a tiny bang. I wrapped my Airgun tight with a thick blanket. The shot was so quiet that I even could hear how the Diabolo whizzed away! But of course, aiming or other useful things are then impossible!

Most of the Sound (I would say 95%) comes from the machanism. A Silencer would be just wasting money. I'll try some things how to silence Airgun's but I think it will end up with no result!

P.s. There are extra-strong springs free available. I could reach 330m/s with my Gamo Hunter 440 if I had such a spring inside my Gun. If somebody has an advice how to build in such a spring correctly, please let me know it!

Myrol

tomu
April 9th, 2005, 02:10 PM
The #1 idea will wrack your air gun for sure. TATP is a primary explosive not a propellant, the detonation of the TATP will destroy the pellets, the barrel and the barrel lock as well.

Some people add a small drop of diethylether or light gun oil into the compression champer. The dieseling effect that will happen on release of the compression cylinder and will give more energie to the bullet. Obviously this will work only in airguns with a compression cylinder powered by a spring, not with one which is powered by precompressed air or gas.

Building your own spring is not worth the trouble, stronger springs are available without requering any license. But you will need a WBK (Waffenbesitzkarte) and a special license for installing the spring by yourself (Waffenherstellungserlaubnis) for the airgun if you install a stronger spring which gives more than the 7,5 J bullet energie. A gunsmith will not install the spring for you if you don't have a WBK. But you may try this in Austria or France or Belgium. Also ordering an air gun in an EU-country without the energy restriction on aiir guns is possible. Parcel shipments between EU-countries no longer go through customs.

If you are interested have a look at http://www.gutekunst-co.com/ lot's of info and software for calculating spring constructions.

Idea #2: A supressor on an air gun will alter the type of the shot sound. You can do nothing about the mechanical sound of the gun but you can eliminate the bang of the shot. The bang is what alerts people.

In face of all your other problems I would really consider staying out of trouble for a while and not violating the gun law. German authorties will give you hell if they find out about the gun law violation especially if you have a prior conviction of violating explosives and chemicals laws. This could very easily send you to the Big House for some time.

You might want to look at this web site:

http://air.guns.20megsfree.com/photo6.html

it has instructions with pics on how to replace an air gun spring by yourself.

tomu
The #1 idea will wrack your air gun for sure. TATP is a primary explosive not a propellant, the detonation of the TATP will destroy the pellets, the barrel and the barrel lock as well.

Some people add a small drop of diethylether or light gun oil into the compression champer. The dieseling effect that will happen on release of the compression cylinder and will give more energie to the bullet. Obviously this will work only in airguns with a compression cylinder powered by a spring, not with one which is powered by precompressed air or gas.

Building your own spring is not worth the trouble, stronger springs are available without requering any license. But you will need a WBK (Waffenbesitzkarte) and a special license for installing the spring by yourself (Waffenherstellungserlaubnis) for the airgun if you install a stronger spring which gives more than the 7,5 J bullet energie. A gunsmith will not install the spring for you if you don't have a WBK. But you may try this in Austria or France or Belgium. Also ordering an air gun in an EU-country without the energy restriction on aiir guns is possible. Parcel shipments between EU-countries no longer go through customs.

If you are interested have a look at http://www.gutekunst-co.com/ lot's of info and software for calculating spring constructions.

Idea #2: A supressor on an air gun will alter the type of the shot sound. You can do nothing about the mechanical sound of the gun but you can eliminate the bang of the shot. The bang is what alerts people.

In face of all your other problems I would really consider staying out of trouble for a while and not violating the gun law. German authorties will give you hell if they find out about the gun law violation especially if you have a prior conviction of violating explosives and chemicals laws. This could very easily send you to the Big House for some time.

tomu

Boomer
April 11th, 2005, 10:26 AM
First of all: sorry mods there is so much German here, but I wanted him to get all the points of the fine print.

#1 DOES work if you don't mind degrading the barrel, but something less brisant than AP is called for. I experimented with an old DIANA-35 which is already quite strong. Pushing the diabolo some mm deeper, and filling the space with the armstrongs mix taken from about 15 toy caps, it shot through 12mm plywood. I even felt a recoil! The problem is that if you only cover the mix with adhesive, it does not always ignite. If you put a second pellet behind, this goes back into the air chamber.

You could drill out a chamber for a blank firing cartridge, with a pellet pushed in front. This would be reproducible if you find a way to assure firing, like a small striker moved by the air. Or, simply use ether, it should give a 5-6 times power boost (P*V=n*R*T ; 1800K instead of 300).

But as mentioned: If they come back and find you violating the gun laws in addition to the explosives laws, you are totally FUCKED!!! A friend of mine is facing two years in prison now, after they found a few 9mm cartridges (once meant for a necklace) and some rusted gun *parts* in his scrap metal box! The parts did not even fit the ammo, and were incomplete anyway. The best thing is they were looking for weed in the first place. In contrast to the US, where they can only take things “in plain view”, and can’t take explosives if they come with a drug warrant, police here are free to exploit everything they find.

Please keep us informed about the case! I want to know what sentence you get. Let us hope (you are still 17?) they see it as a teenage prank, but I fear they won’t with 5 pounds of high explosives found. I looked at the explosives law (Gesetz über explosionsgefährliche Stoffe / ehem. Sprengstoffgesetz) and at §311 (Herbeiführen einer Sprengstoffexplosion: „Wer anders als durch Kernenergie, namentlich durch Sprengstoff, eine Explosion herbeiführt und dadurch Leib oder Leben ... oder fremde Sachen von bedeutenden Wert *gefährdet* (*) oder ...“ ).
With my limited legal understanding I concluded the following:

- If you make explosives (they can prove from things in your lab), it is only called “Ordnungswidrigkeit” (minor offence) because you violate only a licensing law.

- If you possess explosives (you are caught with them), it is only called “Ordnungswidrigkeit” (minor offence) too, because you violate only a licensing law.

- If you use explosives, it is at least called “Ordnungswidrigkeit” (minor offence), and possibly “Vergehen” (bigger offence). I advise you to ask a lawyer here. BUT:

- If they pull §311, it can easily be 5 to 15 years, because this is “Verbrechen” (serious crime, in one class with rape+murder). So this must be avoided at all cost.

(*) Note that you do not have to damage anything or anybody, it is sufficient that there was any danger for others or their property to violate §311. But the danger *has* to come from setting stuff off, transporting it in a crowded bus is *not* enough, neither are smoke- or heat- damage. Though, endangering the people in the bus will make the outcome of items 1-3 above more severe.

Anyway: good luck, best wishes; and I am off into the woods now to move my supplies into that deep hole in the ground ... :D

Boomer
First of all: sorry mods there is so much German here, but I wanted him to get all the points of the fine print.

#1 DOES work if you don't mind degrading the barrel, but something less brisant than AP is called for. I experimented with an old DIANA-35 which is already quite strong. Pushing the diabolo some mm deeper, and filling the space with the armstrongs mix taken from about 15 toy caps, it shot through 12mm plywood. I even felt a recoil! The problem is that if you only cover the mix with adhesive, it does not always ignite. If you put a second pellet behind, this goes back into the air chamber.

You could drill out a chamber for a blank firing cartridge, with a pellet pushed in front. This would be reproducible if you find a way to assure firing, like a small striker moved by the air. Or, simply use ether, it should give a 5-6 times power boost (P*V=n*R*T ; 1800K instead of 300).

But as mentioned: If they come back and find you violating the gun laws in addition to the explosives laws, you are totally FUCKED!!! A friend of mine is facing two years in prison now, after they found a few 9mm cartridges (once meant for a necklace) and some rusted gun *parts* in his scrap metal box! The parts did not even fit the ammo, and were incomplete anyway. The best thing is they were looking for weed in the first place. In contrast to the US, where they can only take things “in plain view”, and can’t take explosives if they come with a drug warrant, police here are free to exploit everything they find.

Please keep us informed about the case! I want to know what sentence you get. Let us hope (you are still 17?) they see it as a teenage prank, but I fear they won’t with 5 pounds of high explosives found. I looked at the explosives law (Gesetz über explosionsgefährliche Stoffe / ehem. Sprengstoffgesetz) and at §311 (Herbeiführen einer Sprengstoffexplosion: „Wer anders als durch Kernenergie, namentlich durch Sprengstoff, eine Explosion herbeiführt und dadurch Leib oder Leben ... oder fremde Sachen von bedeutenden Wert *gefährdet* (*) oder ...“ ).

- If you make explosives (they can prove from things in your lab), it is only called “Ordnungswidrigkeit” (minor offence) because you violate only a licensing law.

- If you possess explosives (you are caught with them), it is only called “Ordnungswidrigkeit” (minor offence) too, because you violate only a licensing law.

- If you use explosives, it is at least called “Ordnungswidrigkeit” (minor offence), and possibly “Vergehen” (bigger offence). I advise you to ask a lawyer here. BUT:

- If they pull §311, it can easily be 5 to 15 years, because this is “Verbrechen” (serious crime, in one class with rape+murder). So this must be avoided at all cost.

(*) Note that you do not have to damage anything or anybody, it is sufficient that there was any danger for others or their property to violate §311. But the danger *has* to come from setting stuff off, transporting it in a crowded bus is *not* enough, neither are smoke- or heat- damage. Though, endangering the people in the bus will make the outcome of items 1-3 above more severe.

Anyway: good luck, best wishes; and I am off into the woods now to move my supplies into that deep hole in the ground ... :D

Boomer

Bugger
April 13th, 2005, 07:58 AM
(cut)

That sucks! I hope Myrol has a good lawyer, and "gets him off". I'll bet the Polizei (Police, or Pigs) in Germany are thoroughly corrupt and brutal, and as bad as the former Nazi Gestapo. (Did they ask for a bribe?).

The consequent search after he was arrested for allegedly pinching some chemicals from an employer (did they have hidden security cameras?) shows that one should store as much as possible of any "questionable" or "contraband" articles, equipment, chemicals, and documents elsewhere. Electronic files on computer dealing with making drugs, bombs, firearms, or explosives should be eiother encrypted using "strong" encryption (e.g. with PGP), with the key hidden away in at least two locations where it cannot be found in a search, or else put on at least two separate hard drives which can be removed from the computer and hidden at different "safe" locations also not liable to be searched.

Bugger
(cut)

That sucks! I hope Myrol has a good lawyer, and "gets him off". I'll bet the Polizei (Police, or Pigs) in Germany are thoroughly corrupt and brutal, and as bad as the former Nazi Gestapo. (Did they ask for a bribe?).

The consequent search after he was arrested for allegedly pinching some chemicals from an employer (did they have hidden security cameras?) shows that one should store as much as possible of any "questionable" or "contraband" articles, equipment, chemicals, and documents elsewhere. Electronic files on computer dealing with making drugs, bombs, firearms, or explosives should be eiother encrypted using "strong" encryption (e.g. with PGP), with the key hidden away in at least two locations where it cannot be found in a search, or else put on at least two separate hard drives which can be removed from the computer and hidden at different "safe" locations also not liable to be searched.

Bugger
(cut)

Myrol
April 13th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Bugger, what you're talkin' about? First, thanks from Boomer for his good advice :) . I HAVE a good Lawyer but I dont know how the Cops will react on 500ml MEKP and 1,85kg Urea Nitrate wich they HAVE taken away from my "Lab"....

Have no Fear, my Computer is absolutely "clean". I deleted all my Roguescience articels from my HDD. Some remaining CD's are hidden in my Friend, I mean in his Flat :p .

My Lawyer said to me that I absolutely just get the "Jugendstrafrecht" (Law of juvenice crime), even if I'm 18 :rolleyes: (Since 18 Days!).

The Chemistry of Energetic Materials is now entirely useless to me......I don't want even more trouble that I already have!

The "Pfefferminzprinzen" lookes mostly for Acetone, Hydrogen Peroxide and Acids. Unfortunately, they also found some small (remaining) amounts of TATP in my cellar.....well, we'll see!

I also absolutely don't want to violate the Gun Law. The Idea to fit in illegally a stronger spring in my Airgun was stupid, even if it was just a far dream.

And for the TATP-Airgun: Yes, it was really just an idea for Airgun's wich you want to ruin them totally, or don't mind if they get useless after some shot's. But hey, with a cheap Airgun, there is minimum one strong shot possible, without any Licence (WBK, EWB, etc.).

Myrol
Bugger, what you're talkin' about? First, thanks from Boomer for his good advice :) . I HAVE a good Lawyer but I dont know how the Cops will react on 500ml MEKP and 1,85kg Urea Nitrate wich they HAVE taken away from my "Lab"....

Have no Fear, my Computer is absolutely "clean". I deleted all my Roguescience articels from my HDD. Some remaining CD's are hidden in my Friend, I mean in his Flat :p .

My Lawyer said to me that I absolutely just get the "Jugendstrafrecht" (Law of juvenice crime), even if I'm 18 :rolleyes: (Since 18 Days!).

The Chemistry of Energetic Materials is now entirely useless to me......I don't want even more trouble that I already have!

The "Pfefferminzprinzen" lookes mostly for Acetone, Hydrogen Peroxide and Acids. Unfortunately, they also found some small (remaining) amounts of TATP in my cellar.....well, we'll see!

I also absolutely don't want to violate the Gun Law. The Idea to fit in illegally a stronger spring in my Airgun was stupid, even if it was just a far dream.

And for the TATP-Airgun: Yes, it was really just an idea for Airgun's wich you want to ruin them totally, or don't mind if they get useless after some shot's. But hey, with a cheap Airgun, there is minimum one strong shot possible, without any Licence (WBK, EWB, etc.).

Myrol

Guerilla
April 13th, 2005, 12:02 PM
That sucks! I hope Myrol has a good lawyer, and "gets him off". I'll bet the Polizei (Police, or Pigs) in Germany are thoroughly corrupt and brutal, and as bad as the former Nazi Gestapo. Hehe, I would advise you to be more careful next time you make such statements offhand, just for your own credibility's sake..

As for Myrol's case, I do reckon the paragraphs Boomer listed seem very strict, but in practice I would think your situation is brighter once they are assured of your innocent purposes. 500ml of MEKP sounds very unhealthy though, did you tell them what they were about to handle or did they call a bomb squad right away to inspect your place? I wonder if your lawyer is aware of the fact that you were possibly storing such an amount of primary (unless it was split in several smaller doses) in your lab, which I further hope wasn't in the same place you were storing your UN as well?

I'm afraid all this can result in quite a mess, but stay cool, your status of a reckless teenager should greatly improve the odds. Also, now that they've got you in their sights, it's better to be cooperative with them, as long as you don't reveal them anything harmful they wouldn't ever get to know it should help you.

A few years ago a friend of mine got prosecuted of illegal and irresponsible possession of a high explosive device (2kg), endangering of property and what not..(though knowing the backgrounds I don't really consider they endangered anything or anyone but themselves maybe) yet he was only punished by a fine of around $200 IIRC, he was 17 at the time he committed the crime. As far as I know these laws have changed since it and may not be corresponding at all with the system you got there, though..

Anyways..Best of luck and try to keep us informed.

Guerilla
That sucks! I hope Myrol has a good lawyer, and "gets him off". I'll bet the Polizei (Police, or Pigs) in Germany are thoroughly corrupt and brutal, and as bad as the former Nazi Gestapo. Hehe, I would advise you to be more careful next time you make such statements offhand, just for your own credibility's sake..

As for Myrol's case, I do reckon the paragraphs Boomer listed seem very strict, but in practice I would think your situation is brighter once they are assured of your innocent purposes. 500ml of MEKP sounds very unhealthy though, did you tell them what they were about to handle or did they call a bomb squad right away to inspect your place? I wonder if your lawyer is aware of the fact that you were possibly storing such an amount of primary (unless it was split in several smaller doses) in your lab, which I further hope wasn't in the same place you were storing your UN as well?

I'm afraid all this can result in quite a mess, but stay cool, your status of a reckless teenager should greatly improve the odds. Also, now that they've got you in their sights, it's better to be cooperative with them, as long as you don't reveal them anything harmful they wouldn't ever get to know it should help you.

A few years ago a friend of mine got prosecuted of illegal and irresponsible possession of a high explosive device (2kg), endangering of property and what not..(though knowing the backgrounds I don't really consider they endangered anything or anyone but themselves maybe) yet he was only punished by a fine of around $200 IIRC, he was 17 at the time he committed the crime. As far as I know these laws have changed since it and may not be corresponding at all with the system you got there, though..

Guerilla

tomu
April 16th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Myrol, I don't think that MEKP is on the A or B list of Explosives I know for sure that TATP is regulated by the german explosives law. But I'vent heard anything about the other peroxides.

Visit the BAM Website and see if they also included other organic peroxides into the ex list by now. Also check if urea nitrate is on the A or B list.

If you are first time offender they don't send you to the Big House, but some weekend arrests might be possible. The hardest part is that you lost your apprenticeship, especially at times like this.

Good luck to you!

tomu
Myrol, I don't think that MEKP is on the A or B list of Explosives I know for sure that TATP is regulated by the german explosives law. But I'vent heard anything about the other peroxides.

Visit the BAM Website and see if they also included other organic peroxides into the ex list by now. Also check if urea nitrate is on the A or B list.

If you are first time offender they don't send you to the Big House, but some weekend arrests might be possible. The hardest part is that you lost your apprenticeship, especially at times like this.

Good luck to you!

tomu

Good luck to you!

tom haggen
April 16th, 2005, 05:57 PM
That makes me paranoid because my computer probably isn't very clean. Is it possible for the FBI to retrieve data off of you computer even if it's been reformatted?

tom haggen
That makes me paranoid because my computer probably isn't very clean. Is it possible for the FBI to retrieve data off of you computer even if it's been reformatted?

tom haggen

Chris The Great
April 16th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Yes, they can do that quite easily. I know almost nothing about permament data removal but I know you need to write over the deleted data several times before they cannot read it. The US military IIRC can read HDs that have been written over several hundred times but unless you are Osama Bin Laden they aren't going to spend the time doing that to your computer.

Best of luck to myrol, I really hope that things don't turn out too bad.

Also, AP is a very poor propellant, I know from....doing things. It just breaks things.

Perhaps a small amounts of AP could set off some smokeless powder, which would do a much better job of propelling something.

Chris The Great
Yes, they can do that quite easily. I know almost nothing about permament data removal but I know you need to write over the deleted data several times before they cannot read it. The US military IIRC can read HDs that have been written over several hundred times but unless you are Osama Bin Laden they aren't going to spend the time doing that to your computer.

Also, AP is a very poor propellant, I know from....doing things. It just breaks things.

Perhaps a small amounts of AP could set off some smokeless powder, which would do a much better job of propelling something.

Chris The Great

grendel23
April 17th, 2005, 05:27 AM
There are a number of programs that will do a secure wipe. Norton utilities will wipe files but not free space or slack, PGP will do files, slack and free space. If you want to totaly wipe a disk, I like Killdisk Pro, it's available at FOSI (http://fosi.ural.net/) . FOSI is a good warez site, they don't have a huge selection, but the rips are first rate.

grendel23
There are a number of programs that will do a secure wipe. Norton utilities will wipe files but not free space or slack, PGP will do files, slack and free space. If you want to totaly wipe a disk, I like Killdisk Pro, it's available at FOSI (http://fosi.ural.net/) . FOSI is a good warez site, they don't have a huge selection, but the rips are first rate.

grendel23

tom haggen
April 25th, 2005, 08:54 PM
What if you wipe your hard drive from ones to zeros? Does this make it impossible to trace old data?

tom haggen
What if you wipe your hard drive from ones to zeros? Does this make it impossible to trace old data?

tom haggen

cyclonite4
April 26th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Thats generally what 'secure' file wipers do, write 0's every everything. As has been mentioned, the military can still read the stuff on your hard drive with all their wizz-bang technology. For better security, don't use a computer. For better file erasing, completely obliterate every single part of your computer, and make sure the hard drive platters have been completely converted to a fine powder.

cyclonite4
Thats generally what 'secure' file wipers do, write 0's every everything. As has been mentioned, the military can still read the stuff on your hard drive with all their wizz-bang technology. For better security, don't use a computer. For better file erasing, completely obliterate every single part of your computer, and make sure the hard drive platters have been completely converted to a fine powder.

cyclonite4

xyz
April 26th, 2005, 05:21 AM
Melting the drive platters down is much easier than grinding them to a powder, not to mention quicker and more effective. (no you thermite fetishists, I mean use a gas torch or something...)

As an afterthought though, I know that thermite has been discussed as a means of emergency hard drive destruction. You could run power and USB cables outside your house to an external HDD located somewhere where the thermite would cause no collateral damage.

xyz
Melting the drive platters down is much easier than grinding them to a powder, not to mention quicker and more effective. (no you thermite fetishists, I mean use a gas torch or something...)

As an afterthought though, I know that thermite has been discussed as a means of emergency hard drive destruction. You could run power and USB cables outside your house to an external HDD located somewhere where the thermite would cause no collateral damage.

xyz

Zeitgeist
June 6th, 2005, 07:40 AM
As far as the legality of MEKP posession goes, store it near some fibreglass resin or styrene putty, maybe diluted to a 50% solution with acetone...

Zeitgeist
June 6th, 2005, 07:40 AM
As far as the legality of MEKP posession goes, store it near some fibreglass resin or styrene putty, maybe diluted to a 50% solution with acetone...

Jacks Complete
June 6th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Setting all the bits to zero (or one) would be silly. If it is possible to determine the previous state, it will be trivial if all the bits are the same. Instead, you want to write a random pattern of 1/0 across the disk, at least twice. That stops pattern analysis dead, as there is no longer a pattern to sift through, nor any way to mathmatically remove the overwrite pattern.

Formats like that take far too long, though.

Shattering the (glass) disc platters will do nothing, since they can easily be put back together unless really broken up, and little data would be lost.

Best would be some form of heating to beyond the critical data temperature. For a modern HDD, anything over 200 degrees C will do the job, as the magnetic structure is then destroyed completely. I might try a test on a dead/dying 2.5" drive I have here. Currently, thermal effects are a big issue, since the very high data density drives have tiny bit sizes, and so not much heat is needed to knock them out of alignment.

Jacks Complete
June 6th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Setting all the bits to zero (or one) would be silly. If it is possible to determine the previous state, it will be trivial if all the bits are the same. Instead, you want to write a random pattern of 1/0 across the disk, at least twice. That stops pattern analysis dead, as there is no longer a pattern to sift through, nor any way to mathmatically remove the overwrite pattern.

Formats like that take far too long, though.

Shattering the (glass) disc platters will do nothing, since they can easily be put back together unless really broken up, and little data would be lost.

Best would be some form of heating to beyond the critical data temperature. For a modern HDD, anything over 200 degrees C will do the job, as the magnetic structure is then destroyed completely. I might try a test on a dead/dying 2.5" drive I have here. Currently, thermal effects are a big issue, since the very high data density drives have tiny bit sizes, and so not much heat is needed to knock them out of alignment.