View Full Version : FTP addy has changed, make note!

megalomania
April 15th, 2005, 07:46 PM
The FTP has been down due to a faulty connection. It has returned at a new address: ftp://204.210.178.212:80

Remember, that is port 80 not port 21. This makes the FTP accessable via web browsers. This FTP is also completly unrestricted to anon access, although leech accounts have been bandwidth restricted. Those of you with accounts still have them, and they are unrestricted.

Please upload your goodies :D

megalomania
The FTP has been down due to a faulty connection. It has returned at a new address: ftp://204.210.178.212:80

Remember, that is port 80 not port 21. This makes the FTP accessable via web browsers. This FTP is also completly unrestricted to anon access, although leech accounts have been bandwidth restricted. Those of you with accounts still have them, and they are unrestricted.

megalomania

Ropik
April 19th, 2005, 03:34 PM
I'm trying to access for three days, and I am unable to do so. With a LeechFTP, it logs me on, then it says: "receiving dir list - 0 bytes" and it stays in this state until it times out. With a web browser, it is "getting content of the folder" until it times out :frown:.Is it just my fault?

Ropik
I'm trying to access for three days, and I am unable to do so. With a LeechFTP, it logs me on, then it says: "receiving dir list - 0 bytes" and it stays in this state until it times out. With a web browser, it is "getting content of the folder" until it times out :frown:.Is it just my fault?

Ropik

The_Duke
April 19th, 2005, 03:44 PM
I have had the same problem for the last three days aswell. :eek:

The_Duke

The_Duke

Jacks Complete
April 19th, 2005, 06:52 PM
If it is the same as the last time, make sure you set it so that it doesn't go into "passive transfer" mode. This was the issue I had, that gave those errors.

Jacks Complete
If it is the same as the last time, make sure you set it so that it doesn't go into "passive transfer" mode. This was the issue I had, that gave those errors.

Jacks Complete

Bugger
April 19th, 2005, 08:36 PM
The FTP site server appears to be incapable of supporting any download clients which determine in advance the size of the file, write to disk as a file is downloaded, and can resume broken downloads from partial files, like Getright. This makes it very difficult, and in fact practically impossible, to download usable, complete files of more than about 10 Mb, - larger files either halt and nothing is written from RAM (of which I have plenty) to disk, or only a partial file is downloaded and written to disk. Is this deliberately intended, or not? Also, only one file can be downloaded at a time.

Bugger
The FTP site server appears to be incapable of supporting any download clients which determine in advance the size of the file, write to disk as a file is downloaded, and can resume broken downloads from partial files, like Getright. This makes it very difficult, and in fact practically impossible, to download usable, complete files of more than about 10 Mb, - larger files either halt and nothing is written from RAM (of which I have plenty) to disk, or only a partial file is downloaded and written to disk. Is this deliberately intended, or not? Also, only one file can be downloaded at a time.

Bugger

cyclonite4
April 20th, 2005, 03:24 AM
I seem to have a problem that none of my FTP clients can access the FTP, however, only my web browser can. I have set the port to 80 as well, but I keep getting timeouts and such.

BTW, do you need an account to upload?

cyclonite4
I seem to have a problem that none of my FTP clients can access the FTP, however, only my web browser can. I have set the port to 80 as well, but I keep getting timeouts and such.

cyclonite4

grendel23
April 20th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Bullet Proof FTP is working fine for me, it retrives the file size at the start of a download and resumes perfectly. If you are having problems, give it a try.

grendel23
Bullet Proof FTP is working fine for me, it retrives the file size at the start of a download and resumes perfectly. If you are having problems, give it a try.

grendel23

Ropik
April 20th, 2005, 06:57 AM
I tried the BP FTP to no avail. Web browser is also unable to access. *sob*

Ropik

Ropik

xyz
April 20th, 2005, 08:02 AM
For me, internet explorer and mozilla both do nothing, and CuteFTP gives a "Control connection closed" error, both when using my FTP login and when trying to connect anonymously.

I've been trying to upload some .22 bolt action pistol designs for the last few days but haven't been able to connect to the FTP at all.

xyz
For me, internet explorer and mozilla both do nothing, and CuteFTP gives a "Control connection closed" error, both when using my FTP login and when trying to connect anonymously.

I've been trying to upload some .22 bolt action pistol designs for the last few days but haven't been able to connect to the FTP at all.

xyz

Silentnite
April 20th, 2005, 11:02 AM
I have been able to connect fine, and am using the latest version of CuteFTP which downloads the index file, shows how large the files are, and shows how long to download.

Silentnite
I have been able to connect fine, and am using the latest version of CuteFTP which downloads the index file, shows how large the files are, and shows how long to download.

Silentnite

cyclonite4
April 20th, 2005, 11:12 AM
I've used Mozilla, IE, WS_FTP_LE, and CuteFTP and only been able to get in with IE, however, once in, been unable to download anything, except for two files on rocketry, everything else says the file is missing or has been moved....

cyclonite4
I've used Mozilla, IE, WS_FTP_LE, and CuteFTP and only been able to get in with IE, however, once in, been unable to download anything, except for two files on rocketry, everything else says the file is missing or has been moved....

cyclonite4

FragmentedSanity
April 21st, 2005, 11:46 AM
Ive had similar problems to others. Tried with BulletProof and managed a connection, but no list retrieval. What I noticed waas that when you tried to access a subdirectory (or the root directory) it tried to recconect to an odd (random?) port. As im having trouble with the port fowarding on my new modem I thought that it was just a problem problem at my end. Or maybe it a problem lots of people have.
Incedently - I cant FTP to port 80 through Opera because of "security reasons" - but I havent worked out if thats just a setting of mine - or my service providers.

FragmentedSanity
Ive had similar problems to others. Tried with BulletProof and managed a connection, but no list retrieval. What I noticed waas that when you tried to access a subdirectory (or the root directory) it tried to recconect to an odd (random?) port. As im having trouble with the port fowarding on my new modem I thought that it was just a problem problem at my end. Or maybe it a problem lots of people have.
Incedently - I cant FTP to port 80 through Opera because of "security reasons" - but I havent worked out if thats just a setting of mine - or my service providers.

FragmentedSanity

nbk2000
April 21st, 2005, 12:41 PM
I tried it through my library IE browser, and it locked up the computer! :(

nbk2000

nbk2000

tdog49
April 22nd, 2005, 02:10 AM
I have successfully connected twice, with download speeds over 32k. Previous download speed were 3-5k( at the old ftp address). After removing "passive mode" the speeds went up to the 30k range. But for the most part I have had the same experiences as the previous posters.

btw I am using FireFTP thru Firefox.

tdog49
I have successfully connected twice, with download speeds over 32k. Previous download speed were 3-5k( at the old ftp address). After removing "passive mode" the speeds went up to the 30k range. But for the most part I have had the same experiences as the previous posters.

tdog49

cyclonite4
April 22nd, 2005, 02:59 AM
I've now successfully gotten into the ftp using IE, and downloaded several PDFs. However, I am unable to use any download clients to get the files, such as GetRight. Also, none of my FTP clients can get in, only IE.

Is it possible that the reason many cant get in at all is because the FTP is too buzy?

cyclonite4
I've now successfully gotten into the ftp using IE, and downloaded several PDFs. However, I am unable to use any download clients to get the files, such as GetRight. Also, none of my FTP clients can get in, only IE.

Is it possible that the reason many cant get in at all is because the FTP is too buzy?

cyclonite4

megalomania
April 22nd, 2005, 03:35 AM
I can connect through CuteFTP and through Firefox just fine. I wonder if it is the port 80 setting?

megalomania
I can connect through CuteFTP and through Firefox just fine. I wonder if it is the port 80 setting?

megalomania

cyclonite4
April 22nd, 2005, 05:24 AM
Yes it is port 80. I dont see why it needs to be, I would have thought a web browser could access port 21 if you specified it.

cyclonite4
Yes it is port 80. I dont see why it needs to be, I would have thought a web browser could access port 21 if you specified it.

cyclonite4

teshilo
April 26th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Only this result after connection
Resolving host name 204.210.178.212.
STATUS:> Host name 204.210.178.212 resolved: ip = 204.210.178.212.
STATUS:> Connecting to ftp server 204.210.178.212:80 (ip = 204.210.178.212)...
ERROR:> Timeout.
And another and another Work or dont FTP Please said me

teshilo

teshilo

Silentnite
April 26th, 2005, 02:01 PM
if its doing all that, it means that its probably full. Trying at a different time should solve it.

Cross your fingers though.

EDIT: Cyclonite4: You can specify it but it would be part of the HTTP protocol instead of FTP... So type in the address leaving out the :80 part because that's automagically assumed. So. Up at the top of your screen:: http://204.210.178.212

And that should work for a regular web-browser. Now all of you FTP program users, you have to specify it in the port settings. Find a tab or some such and change it from 21 to 80.

Silentnite
if its doing all that, it means that its probably full. Trying at a different time should solve it.

EDIT: Cyclonite4: You can specify it but it would be part of the HTTP protocol instead of FTP... So type in the address leaving out the :80 part because that's automagically assumed. So. Up at the top of your screen:: http://204.210.178.212

And that should work for a regular web-browser. Now all of you FTP program users, you have to specify it in the port settings. Find a tab or some such and change it from 21 to 80.

Silentnite

silvershadow
May 2nd, 2005, 05:42 AM
I just thought I'd throw some general PORT connecting information out there for those who may be less than familiar with the procedure. After a search I did not come across this at RogueSci, although it is available in countless places all over the web.

First, make sure your client is set to PORT transfer mode. This is necessary because the ftp is behind a NAT router. This mode simply tells the FTP server to connect to you on a random port, rather than you connecting to it. This is sometimes called a push connection, where the server, rather than you, initiates the TCP connection. If you are not behind a router or firewall, there should be no further problems.

If you are behind such a device, you need to have access to open several ports to your local machine. This is commonly called port forwarding. If you only use one port-type ftp at any one time, or only use roguesci's, you only need 1 port, as this is the maximum number of connections allowed (at least for anon). You need to inform your FTP client which ports you are forwarding, and restrict the client to only those ports. Attempt a connection and inspect the port command. Often times the client will not pick up on your public IP address, and send a port command like this:

PORT 192,168,0,10,24,209

This is telling the ftp server to connect to your local IP address, which is non-routable. If this is the case, you need to manually inform your client of your public IP address. Some clients do not have this capability, CuteFTP Pro 6.0 is one example. In order to correct this, upgrade to a newer client (CuteFTP Pro 7.0 is ok) or use another client altogether.

Just for posterity, the last 2 values in the port command are a decimal equivalent to a 2-byte formatted port number. Take the first value times 256 then add the 2nd value to check the actual decimal equivalent of the port. Make sure that PORT is using your public IP (www.whatismyip.com) and check that the port being requested is open on your router and forwarded to your ftp client PC.

silvershadow
I just thought I'd throw some general PORT connecting information out there for those who may be less than familiar with the procedure. After a search I did not come across this at RogueSci, although it is available in countless places all over the web.

First, make sure your client is set to PORT transfer mode. This is necessary because the ftp is behind a NAT router. This mode simply tells the FTP server to connect to you on a random port, rather than you connecting to it. This is sometimes called a push connection, where the server, rather than you, initiates the TCP connection. If you are not behind a router or firewall, there should be no further problems.

If you are behind such a device, you need to have access to open several ports to your local machine. This is commonly called port forwarding. If you only use one port-type ftp at any one time, or only use roguesci's, you only need 1 port, as this is the maximum number of connections allowed (at least for anon). You need to inform your FTP client which ports you are forwarding, and restrict the client to only those ports. Attempt a connection and inspect the port command. Often times the client will not pick up on your public IP address, and send a port command like this:

PORT 192,168,0,10,24,209

This is telling the ftp server to connect to your local IP address, which is non-routable. If this is the case, you need to manually inform your client of your public IP address. Some clients do not have this capability, CuteFTP Pro 6.0 is one example. In order to correct this, upgrade to a newer client (CuteFTP Pro 7.0 is ok) or use another client altogether.

Just for posterity, the last 2 values in the port command are a decimal equivalent to a 2-byte formatted port number. Take the first value times 256 then add the 2nd value to check the actual decimal equivalent of the port. Make sure that PORT is using your public IP (www.whatismyip.com) and check that the port being requested is open on your router and forwarded to your ftp client PC.

silvershadow

PORT 192,168,0,10,24,209