View Full Version : beginnings?

tom haggen
April 16th, 2005, 02:54 AM
I'm probably going to get flamed all to hell for this post, but what the hell this is the water cooler. I believe MSDB has blossomed into a very excellent experimental chemistry website. There’s no doubt that this site spawned the creation of MSDB, or at least influenced its beginnings. I also remember reading a post by megalomania that stated he was inspired to create this forum from the existence of the hive. My questions are; one, what exactly inspired the creation of the hive, and what exactly inspired the creation of these amazing underground type forums (roguesci being the best of course). I'm still a newbie but I've been around for a while, and I feel like there is so much that I must have missed in the middle to late 1990's. I'm just amazed at how unique this forum is, and the whole counter culture involved with its existence. Also, I've asked around and have yet to find anyone locally that has even herd of the hive or this website. Anyway, what’s the deal with MSDB I haven't been able to access their website lately. Anyone know what’s going on?

tom haggen
I'm probably going to get flamed all to hell for this post, but what the hell this is the water cooler. I believe MSDB has blossomed into a very excellent experimental chemistry website. There’s no doubt that this site spawned the creation of MSDB, or at least influenced its beginnings. I also remember reading a post by megalomania that stated he was inspired to create this forum from the existence of the hive. My questions are; one, what exactly inspired the creation of the hive, and what exactly inspired the creation of these amazing underground type forums (roguesci being the best of course). I'm still a newbie but I've been around for a while, and I feel like there is so much that I must have missed in the middle to late 1990's. I'm just amazed at how unique this forum is, and the whole counter culture involved with its existence. Also, I've asked around and have yet to find anyone locally that has even herd of the hive or this website. Anyway, what’s the deal with MSDB I haven't been able to access their website lately. Anyone know what’s going on?

tom haggen

Chris The Great
April 16th, 2005, 07:08 PM
MSDB recently changed servers due to the amount of traffic they were recieving, however the domain name was not able to be changed for about a month or so. It is now working fine, and the domain name has been transfered to the new server.

Chris The Great
MSDB recently changed servers due to the amount of traffic they were recieving, however the domain name was not able to be changed for about a month or so. It is now working fine, and the domain name has been transfered to the new server.

Chris The Great

nbk2000
April 19th, 2005, 12:21 PM
You could say that I'm the inspiration behind SM. :)

See, madscientest (AKA 'Madfag' here), was a pissy k3wL who I deleted from here for spouting 1+1=2 chemistry theory, which I detest.

He, in his infinite maturity, started up some free-host site that was solely a 'I HATE NBK!!!' rant site.

For whatever reason, polverone asked him to join him in an 'alternative' to RS.org, and thus SM was born.

It was soon populated by all the people who I banned from here. Thus they continue to grow every day. :p

If I was to disappear, where would they get their members from? :D

I also won't mention (though I am) how half of polverones e-books were copies of books that I had scanned in, that he posted on his site to gain traffic, without bothering to mention the source of the scans till I brought it to his attention, even though said files all had the scanning credit built-in, which was either ignored or ripped out.

nbk2000

See, madscientest (AKA 'Madfag' here), was a pissy k3wL who I deleted from here for spouting 1+1=2 chemistry theory, which I detest.

He, in his infinite maturity, started up some free-host site that was solely a 'I HATE NBK!!!' rant site.

For whatever reason, polverone asked him to join him in an 'alternative' to RS.org, and thus SM was born.

It was soon populated by all the people who I banned from here. Thus they continue to grow every day. :p

I also won't mention (though I am) how half of polverones e-books were copies of books that I had scanned in, that he posted on his site to gain traffic, without bothering to mention the source of the scans till I brought it to his attention, even though said files all had the scanning credit built-in, which was either ignored or ripped out.

nbk2000

megalomania
April 19th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Before I created my website in 1997 I had started searching the Internet for explosives related websites beginning in 1995. Needless to say I found very little information, none of it particularly useful. Jolly Roger and the crapbooks ruled the web. There was one site though, Lowrys, and he even had a fledgling bulletin board.

I created my website to be the kind of site I would want to see. Because no other website existed that told how to make explosives I filled the void. I started The Forum because no other bulletin board had standards amongst its members or had a searchable database to store previously answered posts. By 1998 the only major website that discussed explosives was TOTSE, and that was a damn shame. There were many other websites, newsgroups, and bulletin boards back then, but they all universally sucked.

I modeled The Forum on the success of the Hive. The philosophy of The Forum was my own, but the Hive had it in practice. The success of the Hive, Rogue Science, and even Science Madness depends on that philosophy. The failure of TOTSE, weirdpier, and bombshock happened because they abandoned the philosophy. More recently bombshock has improved because they have adopted some of the philosophy.

Quite simply the philosophy is to tolerate the same kind of behavior as in real life. Idiots are purged, questions are answered only after a search, courtesy and professionalism are the norm. I believe a bulletin board discussion will always be reduced to the level of the least intelligent person. To allow kewls is to eventually be limited to their level. Kewls are the death knell of any board. The paradox is censhorship allows free discussion.

They inspired us, we inspired them, they will inspire someone else. This is the great thing about the Internet. It is like that saying, an idea once uttered echos into eternity and can never be censored, banned, or legislated. Now that the Hive is defunct how many new boards have been created in its place? 5? 10? 20? Time will likely weed out some, but if each follows the philosophy they all have the potential to rival the Hive in 5 years time. Should Rogue Science fall how many of you will pick up the banner and start your own board?

megalomania
Before I created my website in 1997 I had started searching the Internet for explosives related websites beginning in 1995. Needless to say I found very little information, none of it particularly useful. Jolly Roger and the crapbooks ruled the web. There was one site though, Lowrys, and he even had a fledgling bulletin board.

I created my website to be the kind of site I would want to see. Because no other website existed that told how to make explosives I filled the void. I started The Forum because no other bulletin board had standards amongst its members or had a searchable database to store previously answered posts. By 1998 the only major website that discussed explosives was TOTSE, and that was a damn shame. There were many other websites, newsgroups, and bulletin boards back then, but they all universally sucked.

I modeled The Forum on the success of the Hive. The philosophy of The Forum was my own, but the Hive had it in practice. The success of the Hive, Rogue Science, and even Science Madness depends on that philosophy. The failure of TOTSE, weirdpier, and bombshock happened because they abandoned the philosophy. More recently bombshock has improved because they have adopted some of the philosophy.

Quite simply the philosophy is to tolerate the same kind of behavior as in real life. Idiots are purged, questions are answered only after a search, courtesy and professionalism are the norm. I believe a bulletin board discussion will always be reduced to the level of the least intelligent person. To allow kewls is to eventually be limited to their level. Kewls are the death knell of any board. The paradox is censhorship allows free discussion.

They inspired us, we inspired them, they will inspire someone else. This is the great thing about the Internet. It is like that saying, an idea once uttered echos into eternity and can never be censored, banned, or legislated. Now that the Hive is defunct how many new boards have been created in its place? 5? 10? 20? Time will likely weed out some, but if each follows the philosophy they all have the potential to rival the Hive in 5 years time. Should Rogue Science fall how many of you will pick up the banner and start your own board?

megalomania

tom haggen
April 20th, 2005, 08:53 PM
I would love to have my own board some day, but I lack the skills of web design, and wouldn't even know where to begin. For now I'm just playing catch up and learning as much as possible to catch up with some of the veterans around here. It's funny but this site has actually inspired me to learn a lot about science. There is nothing like the hands on experience with energetic materials, to motivate some to want to learn about chemistry. Happy birthday hitler. :p

tom haggen
I would love to have my own board some day, but I lack the skills of web design, and wouldn't even know where to begin. For now I'm just playing catch up and learning as much as possible to catch up with some of the veterans around here. It's funny but this site has actually inspired me to learn a lot about science. There is nothing like the hands on experience with energetic materials, to motivate some to want to learn about chemistry. Happy birthday hitler. :p

tom haggen

Silentnite
April 20th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Mega, I have as much of this board backed up as possible, and I am sure at least 3% of the members here do that also. Probably the 3% that are the most contributing to the decent post count. I love the new banner BTW....

Its probably been alluded to before, but here's another excerpt:
Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.-Dylan Thomas, Rage against the dying of the light.

Silentnite
Mega, I have as much of this board backed up as possible, and I am sure at least 3% of the members here do that also. Probably the 3% that are the most contributing to the decent post count. I love the new banner BTW....

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.-Dylan Thomas, Rage against the dying of the light.

Silentnite

cyclonite4
April 21st, 2005, 06:44 AM
I would backup the forum, but I have only a 56k connection and limited usage, I have made a backup of the chem lab however. Last thing that Mega said, about if RS should fall...
Maybe one of the people backing up the forum could place it on a mirror host, and continue backing it up. That way, if RS ever does fall, the other server will have an exact, up-to-date copy of the forum where others can then goto (the location of the backup would only be known by the mods and whoever is hosting it, and in the event RS falls, emails are dispatched to members detailing the new location). But then again, I guess you could just hope for the best :).

cyclonite4
I would backup the forum, but I have only a 56k connection and limited usage, I have made a backup of the chem lab however. Last thing that Mega said, about if RS should fall...
Maybe one of the people backing up the forum could place it on a mirror host, and continue backing it up. That way, if RS ever does fall, the other server will have an exact, up-to-date copy of the forum where others can then goto (the location of the backup would only be known by the mods and whoever is hosting it, and in the event RS falls, emails are dispatched to members detailing the new location). But then again, I guess you could just hope for the best :).

cyclonite4

Jacks Complete
April 21st, 2005, 07:17 PM
"Hope for the best" is what you do when there is no plan and little to no hope!

The minute mega has a way to do a routine backup of the entire forum in a way that I could unzip onto a new host, I want it! There is a spare HDD here, or DVD, or CDs. As long as the forum can be restored to glory...

This much knowledge should not be lost.

Jacks Complete

The minute mega has a way to do a routine backup of the entire forum in a way that I could unzip onto a new host, I want it! There is a spare HDD here, or DVD, or CDs. As long as the forum can be restored to glory...

Jacks Complete