View Full Version : Should I get a Blog?

nbk2000
April 19th, 2005, 01:39 PM
I recently saw that Bruce Schneier has moved from a monthly format of his 'Crypto-gram' newsletter, to a blog format.

Since Lockdown! is moribund pending funding, and RS.org really isn't the place for crime-related discussions, perhaps a blog would serve as a functional intermediate step?

Questions arise as to who hosts the blog, are there T&C's related to blogs, hosting costs (free?), blog software, and all that.

Suggestions? Feasible?

nbk2000
I recently saw that Bruce Schneier has moved from a monthly format of his 'Crypto-gram' newsletter, to a blog format.

Since Lockdown! is moribund pending funding, and RS.org really isn't the place for crime-related discussions, perhaps a blog would serve as a functional intermediate step?

Questions arise as to who hosts the blog, are there T&C's related to blogs, hosting costs (free?), blog software, and all that.

Suggestions? Feasible?

nbk2000

Suggestions? Feasible?

DimmuJesus
April 19th, 2005, 04:12 PM
I think a blog could have great potential. It would give the opportunity to put some focus into other topics not really focused on here. Topics that many here do have an interest in.
A blog also gives a new format to use, maybe even more accessible (mobile web on cell phones for example).
However it may be easier to just expand limitations of this forum, if people would really accept going this route.

DimmuJesus
I think a blog could have great potential. It would give the opportunity to put some focus into other topics not really focused on here. Topics that many here do have an interest in.
A blog also gives a new format to use, maybe even more accessible (mobile web on cell phones for example).
However it may be easier to just expand limitations of this forum, if people would really accept going this route.

DimmuJesus

Jacks Complete
April 19th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Ok, thought about it for a while.

There are two main types, moveable type style and Live Journal.

LJ is hosted at livejournal.com. I think you could, just about, do it via LJ, but the problem with that is that LJ would easily roll and delete the log. They also tend to log IPs.

MT, on the other hand, is on the server you choose. There are lots of different software packages that will do the job now, though. See http://www.asymptomatic.net/blogbreakdown.htm for a side-by-side of a lot of them, most of which I've never heard of!

Most are GPL and free. Just pick one, drop it somewhere, a free host or whatever, and away you go. Keep it fairly locked down, so only those on the list can read the good stuff, post a load of fake shit for the public side, and you are all set.

You can post by email, have an RSS feed, and all sorts, so it is probably a good way to go.

Just take your usual care not to wear your colours on your sleeve *and* put personal details (the usual rule!) and you will be fine.

Jacks Complete

LJ is hosted at livejournal.com. I think you could, just about, do it via LJ, but the problem with that is that LJ would easily roll and delete the log. They also tend to log IPs.

MT, on the other hand, is on the server you choose. There are lots of different software packages that will do the job now, though. See http://www.asymptomatic.net/blogbreakdown.htm for a side-by-side of a lot of them, most of which I've never heard of!

Most are GPL and free. Just pick one, drop it somewhere, a free host or whatever, and away you go. Keep it fairly locked down, so only those on the list can read the good stuff, post a load of fake shit for the public side, and you are all set.

You can post by email, have an RSS feed, and all sorts, so it is probably a good way to go.

Just take your usual care not to wear your colours on your sleeve *and* put personal details (the usual rule!) and you will be fine.

Jacks Complete

xyz
April 20th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Lol, livejournal - the home of furries, rejects, emo posers, and general web trash.

I would avoid livejournal if possible, but if you chose to use it, at least it'd put something useful on there...

Getting back to the subject, an NBK blog is a quite a good idea IMHO.

xyz
Lol, livejournal - the home of furries, rejects, emo posers, and general web trash.

I would avoid livejournal if possible, but if you chose to use it, at least it'd put something useful on there...

xyz

Arthis
April 20th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Having had a high speed connection (8+ Mbps), I'm planning to make a small server/router/firewall between the box and the home network, and if it works well I could host a few blogs, since I doubt it would really engender heavy traffic.

If it's done it will surely be shortly; I'll tell you then. I could be a safer option, as the provider won't have any interest in a few external connections, and I sure won't keep log of anything :).

Arthis
Having had a high speed connection (8+ Mbps), I'm planning to make a small server/router/firewall between the box and the home network, and if it works well I could host a few blogs, since I doubt it would really engender heavy traffic.

If it's done it will surely be shortly; I'll tell you then. I could be a safer option, as the provider won't have any interest in a few external connections, and I sure won't keep log of anything :).

Arthis

metal dragon
April 20th, 2005, 09:32 AM
[One thing I would love to see is a story of NBK’s life. Like experiments, hardships, etc. now that would be a damn good read. Sorry if it is off topic.

metal dragon
[One thing I would love to see is a story of NBK’s life. Like experiments, hardships, etc. now that would be a damn good read. Sorry if it is off topic.

metal dragon

festergrump
April 20th, 2005, 05:26 PM
I highly doubt you will ever see such a thing as an autobiography from NBK all wrapped up and tied with a bow in a blog (expiriments and hardships are right here at Roguesci for the reading, no?). He's a private man for the same reason we should all be. A story or two, maybe. Ideas... abundant. Full life story...hehe, good luck! People who write their life's story have more than likely "hung up their spurs" to contemplate and venture out no more and have nothing left but to write about their expiriences. I would like to think NBK is still going much too strong for that...

He has a wealth of knowledge, though, most of which we have seen is surely confined to topic here at RS. For any to not read and consider his further ideas would be a loss, I think. Some of his fictional short stories and "what if" scenarios are a must read, also, IMHO.

Blog On!

festergrump
I highly doubt you will ever see such a thing as an autobiography from NBK all wrapped up and tied with a bow in a blog (expiriments and hardships are right here at Roguesci for the reading, no?). He's a private man for the same reason we should all be. A story or two, maybe. Ideas... abundant. Full life story...hehe, good luck! People who write their life's story have more than likely "hung up their spurs" to contemplate and venture out no more and have nothing left but to write about their expiriences. I would like to think NBK is still going much too strong for that...

He has a wealth of knowledge, though, most of which we have seen is surely confined to topic here at RS. For any to not read and consider his further ideas would be a loss, I think. Some of his fictional short stories and "what if" scenarios are a must read, also, IMHO.

Blog On!

festergrump

Blog On!

malzraa
April 20th, 2005, 08:37 PM
http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Anonymity/blog-anonymously.php
That link could be a bit helpful.

malzraa

malzraa

Jacks Complete
April 21st, 2005, 02:39 PM
I'd agree. It is fairly common sense, though.

The issue is, generally, that anyone who writes enough stuff on any topic is likely to be trackable.

I'm really careful, as I have been caught out before. But if you went through all my posts, listed all my place references, cultural references, ideas, and what I seemed interested in, I bet you could find me!

Even though NBK has given away a lot of stuff already, it would be hard to pick out what was true or not. There might be contradictions in some things, but you could work them out or at least narrow the search. Eventually (as you get better at it), you could find anyone on these forums with 100+ posts without trouble.

If you want to see people who ferret out a hell of a lot of info about people from blogs, take a look at livejournal's "I see dead people" forum, fake_lj_deaths, where the power of the many posts and the many people out there is used daily to find out who has faked their own deaths or those of others. Yes, they are a lot of EMO kids, but it is still interesting.

And, of course, by reading this, then looking at the lj people, you just might be able to track me down, as it might be the last clue you need! You can't hide in a crowd when it has been indexed and made searchable...

With a decent budget and time, and say three or four people and cars, you could track down anyone off this forum - and generally the only people with those abilities (or who care) are the police and similar agencies. Then you demand the ISP give up the IP of the posters and visitors, and cross-reference your profile with the list. (Of course, they don't even need to work up the profile, the IP data will give enough data unless you are very sneaky) Then you sit and watch the physical hardware, and cross reference again.

I mean, on another thread, we have people posting heights, body types and builds! How hard can it be?

So, yes, though the Blog would be cool, I would suggest you don't, unless you lock it down pretty tightly, with perhaps invite only to the private stuff, and camo for the cover, made up by whoever.

On a related note, there is software available that compares syles and puncuation, mispellings and word frequency. Be aware.

Jacks Complete

The issue is, generally, that anyone who writes enough stuff on any topic is likely to be trackable.

I'm really careful, as I have been caught out before. But if you went through all my posts, listed all my place references, cultural references, ideas, and what I seemed interested in, I bet you could find me!

Even though NBK has given away a lot of stuff already, it would be hard to pick out what was true or not. There might be contradictions in some things, but you could work them out or at least narrow the search. Eventually (as you get better at it), you could find anyone on these forums with 100+ posts without trouble.

If you want to see people who ferret out a hell of a lot of info about people from blogs, take a look at livejournal's "I see dead people" forum, fake_lj_deaths, where the power of the many posts and the many people out there is used daily to find out who has faked their own deaths or those of others. Yes, they are a lot of EMO kids, but it is still interesting.

And, of course, by reading this, then looking at the lj people, you just might be able to track me down, as it might be the last clue you need! You can't hide in a crowd when it has been indexed and made searchable...

With a decent budget and time, and say three or four people and cars, you could track down anyone off this forum - and generally the only people with those abilities (or who care) are the police and similar agencies. Then you demand the ISP give up the IP of the posters and visitors, and cross-reference your profile with the list. (Of course, they don't even need to work up the profile, the IP data will give enough data unless you are very sneaky) Then you sit and watch the physical hardware, and cross reference again.

I mean, on another thread, we have people posting heights, body types and builds! How hard can it be?

So, yes, though the Blog would be cool, I would suggest you don't, unless you lock it down pretty tightly, with perhaps invite only to the private stuff, and camo for the cover, made up by whoever.

On a related note, there is software available that compares syles and puncuation, mispellings and word frequency. Be aware.

Jacks Complete

nbk2000
April 21st, 2005, 03:27 PM
The writing analysis software that I know of is called A.L.I.A.S (Automatic Linguistic Identification and Analysis Software).

If the gestapo want your ass, they'll find it, so I'm not worried about that. I don't make myself too easy, but if you don't want to be tracked down, you can't be on the internet PERIOD.

Not blogs, e-mail, web-surfing, chat...NOTHING.

nbk2000
The writing analysis software that I know of is called A.L.I.A.S (Automatic Linguistic Identification and Analysis Software).

If the gestapo want your ass, they'll find it, so I'm not worried about that. I don't make myself too easy, but if you don't want to be tracked down, you can't be on the internet PERIOD.

nbk2000

xyz
April 22nd, 2005, 02:18 AM
Jack, Most people on here don't care about the pork tracking them down, because they don't do anything illegal...

...right? ;)

Besides, there's nothing to stop people posting incorrect details to throw that kind of search out without affecting the meaning of the useful information.

For all we know, NBK never went to prison, he might just use that story to keep the pork searching fruitlessly through the records of ex prisoners trying to find him.

And that's just one possible example...

xyz
Jack, Most people on here don't care about the pork tracking them down, because they don't do anything illegal...

...right? ;)

Besides, there's nothing to stop people posting incorrect details to throw that kind of search out without affecting the meaning of the useful information.

For all we know, NBK never went to prison, he might just use that story to keep the pork searching fruitlessly through the records of ex prisoners trying to find him.

xyz

...right? ;)

EJMac
May 29th, 2005, 03:19 PM
I like the idea but I don't see any need to use a third-party service when you have a web stie running. Just incorporate it into RogueSci.

EJMac
I like the idea but I don't see any need to use a third-party service when you have a web stie running. Just incorporate it into RogueSci.

EJMac

nbk2000
June 9th, 2006, 04:35 AM
I have started a blog.

Established members may PM me for the URL and log-in info.

n00bs and lurkers are NOT invited.

Purpose of the blog?

Post links to sites that I've found interesting, but that aren't really relevant to here.
Rants.
General ideas that don't merit a new thread here.
Half-formed plots to take over the world!

Blogs are only as good as the feedback they get, so people are encouraged to reply.

Please don't use my name, or your name, on the blog. The idea is to keep it seperate and deniable from RS.org, hence the no-n00bs.

Anonymous posts are OK, just know that they have to be approved prior to showing, and there's a spambot check in the form of a word-image that you have to type in at the time of posting. Same expectations of decent grammar applies as well.

I've got a Rapidshare folder created for content that I'll be uploading to.

nbk2000
June 11th, 2006, 06:52 AM
I've noticed that the Blog doesn'ts show images in Firefox, but does in IE. You can get an IE tab extension for Firefox at:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/

This allows you to open IE in a Firefox tab.

Also, the Blog has an RSS feed. Be sure to subscribe to that to get updates to the Blog as soon as they're posted. :)

I'll be putting up something everyday, as I can't personally can't stand sites that sit static for weeks, defeating the purpose of the internet as a dynamic information exchange medium.

nbk2000
June 12th, 2006, 08:58 AM
For clarification, on the blog, when I refer to 'Terrorists', I'm actually referring to the police.

Can't talk about killing cops on a free blog, but you can about killing 'terrorists'. :)

If referring to actual terrorists, like the raghead kind, I'll use the term 'terr'.

nbk2000
February 28th, 2007, 07:30 AM
My blog is no more, because I won't be forced to become part of Googles kleptocracy! :mad:

So anyways, here it is in all its glory for everyones enjoyment. :)

Jacks Complete
February 28th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Damned shame.

I do ponder the Google search on this site. I don't use it at all, just because they know too much already!

knowledgehungry
February 28th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I'm sorry to hear the blog is gone, it was always an interesting read.

I don't quite understand the google reference however.

On the topic of google, I just noticed that Gmail gives you custom advertisements based on the content of the email you are reading, this I do not like. I only use gmail for business that I tie to my name openly however, so I am only irritated rather than worried.

I only use the google search feature here for 3 letter or less search threads, although google is my default search engine when not at this website.

sv_sniper
February 28th, 2007, 10:40 PM
If you got a blog, be prepared to spend a lot of time on it.:D

nbk2000
March 1st, 2007, 01:00 AM
I had a blog. Past tense. As in no longer. :rolleyes:

Regarding Google, they bought Blooger.com (ryhmns with Booger :p), and the last time I signed-in to post, they said:

Blooger2 is out of beta, switch over now as this is the last time we'll let you sign into your old Blooger account.

In order to have a Blooger2 account, you have to sign-up for a GMail account, and subject yourself to Googles TOS and invasive raping of your content for pushing ads at you and data-mining for FedGov's databases.

No thanks!

Jacks, you might as well use the Google search for RS, as they've already indexed (almost) all of it. Might as well make use of it. But I only use it for the <3 letter search or complex searchs. Try using the default VB search as much as possible.

megalomania
March 2nd, 2007, 08:22 PM
Not to worry nbk, the resources you have freed up will allow thousands of whiny emo brats to blog about their feelings and what they want to eat for dinner.

As for google, it is a necessary evil. I imagine very few of you would ever have found The Forum if not for a search engine. Just you wait, one day they will no longer list anything about porn/sex/drugs/weapons/controversy. The fedgov doesn't need to ban any website when they can simply entice the search engines to delist them. They get their censorship without the bother of following that pesky Constitution.

I will not use gmail for anything of consequence because I know they are reading and storing my mail. Once you KNOW you are being watched, you lose the desire to use such a service.

nbk2000
March 4th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Don't worry, they'll never de-list porn, as there's too much sheeple diversion value in it. Oh, and taxes.

Drugs (big Pharma) will never be de-listed either. Though bet your ass anything on curing or treating a disease that does NOT involve a big Pharma product most certainly WILL be banned.

Jacks Complete
March 4th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I don't trust Google any more than I trust eBay (who now own Skype) or anyone else. The whole world is owned by big corporate interests and governments/police who do what they lobby for.

It's a merri-go-round that they love, and it gets faster ever day. The UK logs all internet accesses and records them for future abuse, waiting on the day they can spool off a few million in fines and charges so they can look good for a few days on an otherwise "bury the bad news" day.

I'm trying not to make it too easy for them.