View Full Version : AP catalysts - Archive File

Anthony
March 17th, 2003, 08:04 PM
skipper
A new voice
posted November 02, 2000 05:37 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If i don't use HCl to catalyte (??) the reaction, but the H2SO4.
I guess I get then the trimeric (???) AP.
What is the exact difference about that two form of AP, and whats the difference in the BBA???
CYA

Dr. Kollossos
A new voice
posted November 04, 2000 08:36 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only difference is, that it is not as powerful as the version with HCL
[This message has been edited by Dr. Kollossos (edited November 04, 2000).]

megalomania
Administrator
posted February 02, 2001 01:50 PM
While reviewing these oldies I thought I had better chime in here...
The temperature of the reaction is what determines if you get the tricyclic over the dicyclic acetone peroxide. The lower the temp, the better your chance of the tricyclic. The difference between the two is: The dicyclic is slightly less powerful AND it is slightly more unstable. Obviously you want the tricyclic.

The acids do not matter, as long as they are mineral acids (non-organic).

------------------
For the most comprehensive and informative web site on explosives and related topics, go to Megalomania's Explosives and Stuff at <a href="http://surf.to/megalomania" target="_blank">http://surf.to/megalomania</a>

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted February 02, 2001 02:28 PM
the only reason people associate H2SO4 with the dimmer and HCl with the trimmer is because the sulphuric acid tends to heat the reaction more, and like mega said heat contributes to an unfavorable product.
------------------
...Æ