View Full Version : HE incendiary

shady mutha
April 26th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Just wondering has anyone produced a homemade HE incendiary? I am sick of my explosions causing no fire. They are so quick over and done with in the blink of a eye, I want some secondary burning :D . I have seen in various magazines and military books reference to HE incendiarys. But in all my experimenting I have never had a fire after detonation. I am not talking about FAEs.

shady mutha
Just wondering has anyone produced a homemade HE incendiary? I am sick of my explosions causing no fire. They are so quick over and done with in the blink of a eye, I want some secondary burning :D . I have seen in various magazines and military books reference to HE incendiarys. But in all my experimenting I have never had a fire after detonation. I am not talking about FAEs.

shady mutha

Silentnite
April 26th, 2005, 01:59 PM
In my experiance, I have made a few smokebombs, the general melting of KNO3 and Sugar, along with a few things added for slower burning. I usually end up with this melted mass of nasty looking crap that I put on top of a bunch of twigs and such(I was doing it under a tree), which started a rather nice fire.

EDIT: you said HE. Smoke bombs aren't HE. But FAE's would be the best bet. I've always imagined that its not neccessarily the blast that sets off a house, but it hitting the gas line or some such fume and vapor.

It's also been said that should you want a little more spark and such, just add some aluminum flakes and magnesium flakes. They're supposed to spiral out or whatever and be lit.

Silentnite
In my experiance, I have made a few smokebombs, the general melting of KNO3 and Sugar, along with a few things added for slower burning. I usually end up with this melted mass of nasty looking crap that I put on top of a bunch of twigs and such(I was doing it under a tree), which started a rather nice fire.

EDIT: you said HE. Smoke bombs aren't HE. But FAE's would be the best bet. I've always imagined that its not neccessarily the blast that sets off a house, but it hitting the gas line or some such fume and vapor.

It's also been said that should you want a little more spark and such, just add some aluminum flakes and magnesium flakes. They're supposed to spiral out or whatever and be lit.

Silentnite

Ropik
April 26th, 2005, 02:03 PM
The question is: do you want to maintain the "power level" of the explosive? Any mixed-in flammable stuff will downgrade it. If the "afterburning" is the main concern, mix some PETN with a napalm or other incendiary(PETN can withstand as much as 50 or so percents of inert stuff in the mix and it will still detonate). In theory, the PETN should ignite the napalm and scatter it when it detonates. The mix will be also pliable, so you have a plastique.
You can try the flame/explosion couple, but I guess it isn't the thing you want.

Ropik
The question is: do you want to maintain the "power level" of the explosive? Any mixed-in flammable stuff will downgrade it. If the "afterburning" is the main concern, mix some PETN with a napalm or other incendiary(PETN can withstand as much as 50 or so percents of inert stuff in the mix and it will still detonate). In theory, the PETN should ignite the napalm and scatter it when it detonates. The mix will be also pliable, so you have a plastique.
You can try the flame/explosion couple, but I guess it isn't the thing you want.

Ropik

mediumcaliber
May 28th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Add aluminum or, much better, magnesium ground about as coarsely as coffee. If you don't want to reduce the HE's effectiveness, pack it around the outside of the charge. Military HEI stuff uses titanium or zirconium, both of which have less energy than aluminum but passivate themselves from oxidation less than aluminum. Military incendiaries in HE typs ammo typically consist of magnalium with an oxidizer, or a similar system. I think magnalium will probably have pretty good energy density, cost, and combustibility, but that requires empirical verification I cannot perform in the near future.
The passivation/ combustibility issue mostly comes up when you use larger particles that burn for large fractions of a second, which allows them to spread farther and ignite less combustible stuff.

mediumcaliber
Add aluminum or, much better, magnesium ground about as coarsely as coffee. If you don't want to reduce the HE's effectiveness, pack it around the outside of the charge. Military HEI stuff uses titanium or zirconium, both of which have less energy than aluminum but passivate themselves from oxidation less than aluminum. Military incendiaries in HE typs ammo typically consist of magnalium with an oxidizer, or a similar system. I think magnalium will probably have pretty good energy density, cost, and combustibility, but that requires empirical verification I cannot perform in the near future.
The passivation/ combustibility issue mostly comes up when you use larger particles that burn for large fractions of a second, which allows them to spread farther and ignite less combustible stuff.

mediumcaliber