View Full Version : Revolutionary detector Sniffex?

simply RED
May 28th, 2005, 10:28 AM
http://www.bnr.bg/RadioBulgaria/Emission_English/Theme_Science_And_Nature/Material/sniffex.htm

I have talked to people who tried the detector (it was first patneted in BG ) and they say it descovers 10 g TNT in 50 meters radius or 100g TNT behind 1 meter concrete wall !!!

Sadly nowhere any information about how it works is presented.
One is sure, the device has 40 cm antenna.

simply RED
http://www.bnr.bg/RadioBulgaria/Emission_English/Theme_Science_And_Nature/Material/sniffex.htm

I have talked to people who tried the detector (it was first patneted in BG ) and they say it descovers 10 g TNT in 50 meters radius or 100g TNT behind 1 meter concrete wall !!!

simply RED

Guerilla
May 28th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Found this from http://www.allpennystocks.com/apsc/us/stock_profiles/snfx.htm:

Sniffex is made up of two components; a signal generator module and a detection module. In operation, the source generator is activated to emit an energy signal of a target material's characteristic frequency. The power level of the energy source will begin to activate the electrons of nitro-based materials that have the characteristic frequency generated. Once the target material is activated, it too will begin to emit a signal having the characteristic frequency of the signal generator.

The detection module is moved through a range between the source module and the target material. When the detection module encounters the highest energy line between the source module and target material, which is the shortest line between the two energy sources, the Sniffex antenna will rotate to designate that the line has been crossed.

As the antenna continues to move through a range it will continue to point in the direction of the source module and the target material. Once a set of co-ordinates for the target material have been generated, then the exact location of the target can be calculated. Two or three measurements from different directions are required for precise location of a target. If a particular location is suspect, as in a suitcase, Sniffex can be used to detect if a target material is in that location.

It indeed sounds like a brilliant invention, the main benefit being, unlike the detectors so far it doesn't need to be exposed to the vapours itself.. It's interesting to see how fast this device will spread, I bet they soon start placing this kind of detectors everywhere.. though wouldn't common NOx-sources like exhaust fumes (carbombs d'oh) easily cause interference in certain tasks?

I'd like to hear more about its working mechanism, at which frequency it operates etc..

Guerilla

Sniffex is made up of two components; a signal generator module and a detection module. In operation, the source generator is activated to emit an energy signal of a target material's characteristic frequency. The power level of the energy source will begin to activate the electrons of nitro-based materials that have the characteristic frequency generated. Once the target material is activated, it too will begin to emit a signal having the characteristic frequency of the signal generator.

The detection module is moved through a range between the source module and the target material. When the detection module encounters the highest energy line between the source module and target material, which is the shortest line between the two energy sources, the Sniffex antenna will rotate to designate that the line has been crossed.

As the antenna continues to move through a range it will continue to point in the direction of the source module and the target material. Once a set of co-ordinates for the target material have been generated, then the exact location of the target can be calculated. Two or three measurements from different directions are required for precise location of a target. If a particular location is suspect, as in a suitcase, Sniffex can be used to detect if a target material is in that location.

It indeed sounds like a brilliant invention, the main benefit being, unlike the detectors so far it doesn't need to be exposed to the vapours itself.. It's interesting to see how fast this device will spread, I bet they soon start placing this kind of detectors everywhere.. though wouldn't common NOx-sources like exhaust fumes (carbombs d'oh) easily cause interference in certain tasks?

I'd like to hear more about its working mechanism, at which frequency it operates etc..

Guerilla

simply RED
May 29th, 2005, 05:52 AM
I would like to know the exact quantum mechanism.

So it is irradiated with something in the range 50MHz - 2 GHz. It could be the rotational frequency of NOx???

In the spectroscopy, there is hardly a case when the excited state emmits exactly the wavelength it has absorbed. Ususally less energetic wavelength is emitted. As the photonics - thermodinamics suggest. The energy
E(absorbed) - E(emitted) = Q(heat)
Like we have in all pumped lasers.

Anyway the device will not detect nitromethane in metal container (soldiered can).
First the metal reflects the waves, second - the solution makes it hard to scan.

I guess no more ammonium nitrate could be transported via the metro :( .
Only cans with fish --- for the hooks... :P
Another yummy idea is to put a low sensitivity receiver in the bomb
so the one with the transmitter - Sniffex will detonate the device from 4-5 meters when passing near it.

simply RED

So it is irradiated with something in the range 50MHz - 2 GHz. It could be the rotational frequency of NOx???

In the spectroscopy, there is hardly a case when the excited state emmits exactly the wavelength it has absorbed. Ususally less energetic wavelength is emitted. As the photonics - thermodinamics suggest. The energy

Anyway the device will not detect nitromethane in metal container (soldiered can).
First the metal reflects the waves, second - the solution makes it hard to scan.

so the one with the transmitter - Sniffex will detonate the device from 4-5 meters when passing near it.

simply RED

simply RED
May 29th, 2005, 07:43 AM
NO SHIT!

Abstracts :

The role of water in microwave absorption by biological material with particular reference to microwave hazards.

Dawkins AW, Nightingale NR, South GP, Sheppard RJ, Grant EH.

The problem of the absorption of the energy of plane electromagnetic radiation by an aqueous solution of macromolecules is considered. A simplified model for the hydrated molecule is employed, consisting of a spherical shell of bound water surrounding a spherical core. The power deposition per unit volume of the shell is calculated in the frequency range 100 MHz-100 GHz for several bound water relaxation frequencies. In each case the corresponding values are also calculated for free water for comparison. The values obtained for the bound water are shown to be significantly higher than those for the free water up to frequencies of at least 1 GHz. The maximum difference between these two sets of values is of the order of a factor of five and occurs roughly at the bound water relaxation frequency. Because of the strong coupling between the bound water molecules and the macromolecules present in biological material this result could be a significant factor in the explanation of the biological effects of microwaves at a molecular level.

simply RED
NO SHIT!

Abstracts :

The role of water in microwave absorption by biological material with particular reference to microwave hazards.

The problem of the absorption of the energy of plane electromagnetic radiation by an aqueous solution of macromolecules is considered. A simplified model for the hydrated molecule is employed, consisting of a spherical shell of bound water surrounding a spherical core. The power deposition per unit volume of the shell is calculated in the frequency range 100 MHz-100 GHz for several bound water relaxation frequencies. In each case the corresponding values are also calculated for free water for comparison. The values obtained for the bound water are shown to be significantly higher than those for the free water up to frequencies of at least 1 GHz. The maximum difference between these two sets of values is of the order of a factor of five and occurs roughly at the bound water relaxation frequency. Because of the strong coupling between the bound water molecules and the macromolecules present in biological material this result could be a significant factor in the explanation of the biological effects of microwaves at a molecular level.

simply RED
NO SHIT!

Abstracts :

Chris The Great
May 31st, 2005, 05:58 PM
So, I guess it no longer works if you released some NO2 into the atmosphere, and left a few cold packs or a bag of fertilizer as a decoy. I can see many ways in which this could be exploited, anything with a NO2 group would be detected. If someone has a cold pack on their carry on in a plane, they'll think the plane has a bomb in it! Then the sheeple will bleat about how evil the technology is, and then we won't have to worry about pigs driving past our house and arresting us.

Chris The Great
So, I guess it no longer works if you released some NO2 into the atmosphere, and left a few cold packs or a bag of fertilizer as a decoy. I can see many ways in which this could be exploited, anything with a NO2 group would be detected. If someone has a cold pack on their carry on in a plane, they'll think the plane has a bomb in it! Then the sheeple will bleat about how evil the technology is, and then we won't have to worry about pigs driving past our house and arresting us.

Chris The Great

nbk2000
May 31st, 2005, 07:44 PM
It's an old idea that's just been given a fancy face lift.

It's called 'dowsing'.

Grab a forked branch, think 'explosive', and walk around till the fork moves down.

In this case, an antenna on an OD colored plastic case. :p

It's hard to believe that people still fall for this shit. :rolleyes:

Why do you think this is being hawked on a penny-stock site? It's a 'Pump and Dump' scam.

nbk2000

It's called 'dowsing'.

Grab a forked branch, think 'explosive', and walk around till the fork moves down.

Why do you think this is being hawked on a penny-stock site? It's a 'Pump and Dump' scam.

nbk2000

It's called 'dowsing'.

Jacks Complete
September 29th, 2005, 07:55 PM
From the other thread which sort of points here, I thought I might re-open this one.

This exact idea might work, but probably not.

However, the "flash chromatography" systems do work, and are very sensitive. They are in use by the US DoD amongst others.

Basic theory is, the air is drawn over a hot wire, which burns whatever is in the air. The resulting soot is analysed by mass, and the computer works out what was burning/burned a few moments before. Spikes for NOx mean an explosive, and the varying ratios of NO2 to NO, etc. can determine the explosive. Some of the best ones can pick up multiple elements and more, giving highly specific threat analysis with only nano- or picogram traces of vapours.

I don't know how it tells the difference between background and target, but it can. It is most likely something to do with statistical changes from before a sample is burned and after, combined with the fact it knows when the wire is hot.

Cordtex
September 29th, 2005, 08:20 PM
I've noticed that, this device, so far is detecting pressurized deodorant or prefume cans, even leaking car motor oil. I've seen the deviation angle difference of the telescopic antenna in either cases (perfume or oil). So the security personnel using the device must be trained well to differentiate between explosives and other aromatic compounds. The strange thing was when a security guard asked: "Do you have any <computer> in the car?"... NBK this does not seem to be a hoax :)

Jacks Complete
September 30th, 2005, 06:31 AM
To which I would have replied, "I'm a shooter." Or perhaps just looked at him and said "I only use synthetic oil in my car."

The cheaper versions don't differentiate well at all, which is probably why NBK said they were like dowsing rods! The best models are quite good from what I know. However, the false alerts are the killer of any system. Watching guards working on metal detector archways shows this to be true. They beep at every last thing, so the guards start to let people who look safe through without further checks. Same thing here.

nbk2000
October 1st, 2005, 03:37 PM
No matter how much gobbly-gook pseudo-scientific BS they blow up your ass, the picture of the thing shows it to be a dowsing rod. It's already been discussed here in the past, reviewed and discredited by other police and government authorities, and thus a null point.

End topic.