View Full Version : Banned emails

croc
June 7th, 2005, 08:53 AM
I have recently tried to sign up for an account on this great forum and don’t see how I could do without it, my only problem is whenever I have a new email I would like to sign up on the same problem keeps arising. It seems that email severs are blocking all incoming mail from this forum. Most people would agree with me that this is a disgraceful restricting our right to a forum which promotes freedom of speech.

This is probably a link between the government trying to block off new members from signing up to this forum.

Now strait to the point of me making this thread. I would like to know if there are any free emails which have not been banned or otherwise other ways to become user on this forum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

croc
June 7th, 2005, 08:53 AM
I have recently tried to sign up for an account on this great forum and don’t see how I could do without it, my only problem is whenever I have a new email I would like to sign up on the same problem keeps arising. It seems that email severs are blocking all incoming mail from this forum. Most people would agree with me that this is a disgraceful restricting our right to a forum which promotes freedom of speech.

This is probably a link between the government trying to block off new members from signing up to this forum.

Now strait to the point of me making this thread. I would like to know if there are any free emails which have not been banned or otherwise other ways to become user on this forum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hereno
June 7th, 2005, 10:27 AM

heh heh...

Yes, as always, its a government conspiracy!

Try looking in the junk mail of your email provider, since its automated it likely ended up in there with the spam.

hereno
June 7th, 2005, 10:27 AM

heh heh...

Yes, as always, its a government conspiracy!

Try looking in the junk mail of your email provider, since its automated it likely ended up in there with the spam.

croc
June 7th, 2005, 10:46 AM
I didn’t seem to explain myself correctly.

When I tried to sign up using an email to signup from @hotmail.com, @yahoo.com, @earthling.org and even @optusnet.com.au ect. “The explosives and weapons forum” wouldn’t let me do that for it said that the free emails were currently being blocked.

I immediately thought that the reason for these email sites being blocked was for terrorist reasons, which was probably from the government telling them to block all incoming mail thus prevent some people from signing up.

If your want to check try signing up to another account using a @hotmail.com email address. The forum simply won’t let you.

This is why I would like to know if there is any free email addresses out there which do not block incoming mail from the explosives and weapons forum just enough so I can signup and have a user or otherwise a different way to sign up to the forum.

croc
June 7th, 2005, 10:46 AM
I didn’t seem to explain myself correctly.

When I tried to sign up using an email to signup from @hotmail.com, @yahoo.com, @earthling.org and even @optusnet.com.au ect. “The explosives and weapons forum” wouldn’t let me do that for it said that the free emails were currently being blocked.

I immediately thought that the reason for these email sites being blocked was for terrorist reasons, which was probably from the government telling them to block all incoming mail thus prevent some people from signing up.

If your want to check try signing up to another account using a @hotmail.com email address. The forum simply won’t let you.

This is why I would like to know if there is any free email addresses out there which do not block incoming mail from the explosives and weapons forum just enough so I can signup and have a user or otherwise a different way to sign up to the forum.

nbk2000
June 7th, 2005, 01:23 PM
It's not the government pressuring free e-mail providers to block us, but us blocking KewL idiots.

We've long since determined that the VAST majority of idiots who drag their loaded nappies here to stink up the place use free e-mail providers for their signups.

So, by pre-emptively blocking them, we've eliminated 99% of the idiots from ever posting. :)

This makes it a bit more difficult for wanna-be morons, as they'll find their ISP banned if they do anything stupid.

And anyone using AOL is automatically banned on general principle. :p

nbk2000
June 7th, 2005, 01:23 PM
It's not the government pressuring free e-mail providers to block us, but us blocking KewL idiots.

We've long since determined that the VAST majority of idiots who drag their loaded nappies here to stink up the place use free e-mail providers for their signups.

So, by pre-emptively blocking them, we've eliminated 99% of the idiots from ever posting. :)

This makes it a bit more difficult for wanna-be morons, as they'll find their ISP banned if they do anything stupid.

And anyone using AOL is automatically banned on general principle. :p

croc
June 7th, 2005, 06:49 PM
sounds like a very good idea NBK but what is going to happen to the people who are not kewls wanting to sign up, of course you will keep out a lot of the idiots but you will also leave out other people who want to contribute to the forum.

Or are you mods happy just the way you are with 11thousand members?

croc
June 7th, 2005, 06:49 PM
sounds like a very good idea NBK but what is going to happen to the people who are not kewls wanting to sign up, of course you will keep out a lot of the idiots but you will also leave out other people who want to contribute to the forum.

Or are you mods happy just the way you are with 11thousand members?

Skean Dhu
June 7th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Free emails work here, but as with any information here, you gotta search for it and find it yourself. This very account was registered with a free-mail account, but since that was some 2 years ago, as NBK stated prevoously free-mail might not work in general.
However I used a less known free-mail provider

Skean Dhu
June 7th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Free emails work here, but as with any information here, you gotta search for it and find it yourself. This very account was registered with a free-mail account, but since that was some 2 years ago, as NBK stated prevoously free-mail might not work in general.
However I used a less known free-mail provider

Silentnite
June 8th, 2005, 12:07 AM
I used a free-mail account to sign up, and I get updates in my account every week. So its working for me on both ends.

As far as those 11,000 members go, I'd say about 1% regularly contribute.

Silentnite
June 8th, 2005, 12:07 AM
I used a free-mail account to sign up, and I get updates in my account every week. So its working for me on both ends.

As far as those 11,000 members go, I'd say about 1% regularly contribute.

croc
June 8th, 2005, 03:30 AM
Quote: However I used a less known free-mail provider.

What is that email provider? It would be a great help to me.

I have tried to use many free emails some not very well known but I cannot find ones which work.

croc
June 8th, 2005, 03:30 AM
Quote: However I used a less known free-mail provider.

What is that email provider? It would be a great help to me.

I have tried to use many free emails some not very well known but I cannot find ones which work.

croc
June 8th, 2005, 04:07 AM
Not so long after my last post I tried a mail provider which didn’t exist. It still said that I could not sign up under a free email provider.

I think this message is displayed when somebody enters an email with a @sitename.com or .net and so on.

I don’t know of any other emails I could use, I don’t even think they exist.

Could someone explain to me what this is all about?
Is it possible to sign up to the forum any more?

Thank you.

croc
June 8th, 2005, 04:07 AM
Not so long after my last post I tried a mail provider which didn’t exist. It still said that I could not sign up under a free email provider.

I think this message is displayed when somebody enters an email with a @sitename.com or .net and so on.

I don’t know of any other emails I could use, I don’t even think they exist.

Could someone explain to me what this is all about?
Is it possible to sign up to the forum any more?

Thank you.

Jacks Complete
June 8th, 2005, 08:03 AM
croc, so how *did* you sign up?

I use a freemail account, and the only thing that fails is sending to the admin here, as the host's spam blacklist bounces it back. This isn't an issue now the PM system is working (as long as the site is up!)

There are several lists of free email providers that ISPs use to limit spam, sadly, often by bouncing every email from those domains on the list. A far better idea is to use a proper spam filter that scans the contents of the email, using something like cloudmark, or a Bayesian filter, plus some end user filtering. Blackholes are a bad idea, since even if you get 20 spams to every 1 legit email, you don't want to lose the legit one, and a good filter will remove 95% of spam, leaving you with 2 emails, one of which might be junk.

Anyway, Mega says it is outside his control, as the mail is controlled by the host, not by the client, so nothing is going to change.

Silentnite,
if that! Last week there were only 18 threads that got created, edited or added to. The "Server too busy" message is a pain, and stopped me posting this first time.

Perhaps if there was a way to stop unregistered users stealing all the bandwidth, or something? The best solution might be to stop or seriously throttle non-registered users from searching and pulling down many threads at a time (spidering), but then I don't recall how much of the forum is visible to non-logged-in users.

Jacks Complete
June 8th, 2005, 08:03 AM
croc, so how *did* you sign up?

I use a freemail account, and the only thing that fails is sending to the admin here, as the host's spam blacklist bounces it back. This isn't an issue now the PM system is working (as long as the site is up!)

There are several lists of free email providers that ISPs use to limit spam, sadly, often by bouncing every email from those domains on the list. A far better idea is to use a proper spam filter that scans the contents of the email, using something like cloudmark, or a Bayesian filter, plus some end user filtering. Blackholes are a bad idea, since even if you get 20 spams to every 1 legit email, you don't want to lose the legit one, and a good filter will remove 95% of spam, leaving you with 2 emails, one of which might be junk.

Anyway, Mega says it is outside his control, as the mail is controlled by the host, not by the client, so nothing is going to change.

Silentnite,
if that! Last week there were only 18 threads that got created, edited or added to. The "Server too busy" message is a pain, and stopped me posting this first time.

Perhaps if there was a way to stop unregistered users stealing all the bandwidth, or something? The best solution might be to stop or seriously throttle non-registered users from searching and pulling down many threads at a time (spidering), but then I don't recall how much of the forum is visible to non-logged-in users.

croc
June 8th, 2005, 08:53 AM
I signed up through free email but that was a while ago and now doesn’t work as is what this whole thread was created for.

If the only way to sign up is through email and the forum doesn’t let your register under emails how are people meant to sign up? Even my pop sever doesn’t work and that is directed through my provider strait to the computer.

It is not a matter of the filter on the email but the forum not letting me through the registration process without adding an email which is not banned. The banned emails also include my pop sever directed through @optusnet.com.au and I doubt that it would block incoming mail.

If mega said that this problem is out of his control would it be out of his control to sign up new members for them? Not that there wouldn’t be a massive wait with his most likely busy schedule if he could even be bothered (I know I wouldn’t bother signing up hundreds of possible kewls per month).

The "sever too busy" when shown says “vBulletin Message” above it. This is probably related to the whole of vBulletin based websites including some hemp website which is very popular not to mention many other websites hosted by vBulletin.
BTW when this message has appeared when there is minimal members online (me and under 5 guests)

A good idea before sending your post is to copy it to word document or another text editor and save it so if the busy message does show up you have it copied into a nice safe place in case of its loss.

croc
June 8th, 2005, 08:53 AM
I signed up through free email but that was a while ago and now doesn’t work as is what this whole thread was created for.

If the only way to sign up is through email and the forum doesn’t let your register under emails how are people meant to sign up? Even my pop sever doesn’t work and that is directed through my provider strait to the computer.

It is not a matter of the filter on the email but the forum not letting me through the registration process without adding an email which is not banned. The banned emails also include my pop sever directed through @optusnet.com.au and I doubt that it would block incoming mail.

If mega said that this problem is out of his control would it be out of his control to sign up new members for them? Not that there wouldn’t be a massive wait with his most likely busy schedule if he could even be bothered (I know I wouldn’t bother signing up hundreds of possible kewls per month).

The "sever too busy" when shown says “vBulletin Message” above it. This is probably related to the whole of vBulletin based websites including some hemp website which is very popular not to mention many other websites hosted by vBulletin.
BTW when this message has appeared when there is minimal members online (me and under 5 guests)

A good idea before sending your post is to copy it to word document or another text editor and save it so if the busy message does show up you have it copied into a nice safe place in case of its loss.

Silentnite
June 8th, 2005, 10:51 AM
I belive there is more behind the bandwidth issue then simply too many people. I could venture a few guesses but they'd prolly fall on their face with the amount of evidence I have. But as you said, if its only you and five guests(although there is an option to hide your activity so there quite possible could be a lot more) then that doesn't seem like it would use too much bandwidth.

Although, ironically, people may be trying to back up the site due to its intermittent availability, thus causing the bandwidth issue, and bringing the site temporarily down.

Irregardless, its always a good idea to use a text editor, simply for spelling. Or if you have Word, for grammar.

Mega could take off the feature that previews threads when your cursor hovers over the title, and a couple other nice features to save some bandwidth.

I wonder, if maybe our 11000 member count is 11000 active, or 11000 in the history. How many still visit?

Silentnite
June 8th, 2005, 10:51 AM
I belive there is more behind the bandwidth issue then simply too many people. I could venture a few guesses but they'd prolly fall on their face with the amount of evidence I have. But as you said, if its only you and five guests(although there is an option to hide your activity so there quite possible could be a lot more) then that doesn't seem like it would use too much bandwidth.

Although, ironically, people may be trying to back up the site due to its intermittent availability, thus causing the bandwidth issue, and bringing the site temporarily down.

Irregardless, its always a good idea to use a text editor, simply for spelling. Or if you have Word, for grammar.

Mega could take off the feature that previews threads when your cursor hovers over the title, and a couple other nice features to save some bandwidth.

I wonder, if maybe our 11000 member count is 11000 active, or 11000 in the history. How many still visit?

croc
June 8th, 2005, 11:06 AM
I would say in the history because I don’t think the mods would bother keeping up with which members which have not visited in a time, and how long would that time be? It seems like too much effort for so little point.

I’m still an active member and I haven’t visited in a while. A non-active member is still a member.

Alough it could be active members but I doubt it.

croc
June 8th, 2005, 11:06 AM
I would say in the history because I don’t think the mods would bother keeping up with which members which have not visited in a time, and how long would that time be? It seems like too much effort for so little point.

I’m still an active member and I haven’t visited in a while. A non-active member is still a member.

Alough it could be active members but I doubt it.

cyclonite4
June 8th, 2005, 12:54 PM
I seem to get that "server too busy" message about 80% of the time I come here. It may not be the mass of (unregistered) users, but I have noticed on some occasions, being online, and having 20+ unregistered users reading archive threads, etc. and found the forum to load very slowly. Before the forum was down last time, you had to log in (thus have an account) to read the forums. Why don't we do this know?

I like many others here, signed up with a lesser-known free email account, and it worked fine. BTW, croc, you seem to have an account here, why sign up for another one? :rolleyes:

As for the 11,000 member thing, I'm sure that would include history. Many members have moved on, 'passed-on', been banned (unless they are removed from the member count), etc. Not even 1% regularly contribute nowadays, perhaps closer to the 0.1% figure (for frequent posters).

cyclonite4
June 8th, 2005, 12:54 PM
I seem to get that "server too busy" message about 80% of the time I come here. It may not be the mass of (unregistered) users, but I have noticed on some occasions, being online, and having 20+ unregistered users reading archive threads, etc. and found the forum to load very slowly. Before the forum was down last time, you had to log in (thus have an account) to read the forums. Why don't we do this know?

I like many others here, signed up with a lesser-known free email account, and it worked fine. BTW, croc, you seem to have an account here, why sign up for another one? :rolleyes:

As for the 11,000 member thing, I'm sure that would include history. Many members have moved on, 'passed-on', been banned (unless they are removed from the member count), etc. Not even 1% regularly contribute nowadays, perhaps closer to the 0.1% figure (for frequent posters).

Silentnite
June 8th, 2005, 12:55 PM
I just tried with another account from what I used to sign up, and it won't accept it, saying that it blocks incoming mail from here. Though I get updates and such regularly for this account at the same webhost...

Good luck anyways.

Silentnite
June 8th, 2005, 12:55 PM
I just tried with another account from what I used to sign up, and it won't accept it, saying that it blocks incoming mail from here. Though I get updates and such regularly for this account at the same webhost...

Good luck anyways.

Nihilist
June 8th, 2005, 06:52 PM
A friend of mine who I recently told about this forum has had the exact same problem.

Here's an idea that I think may solve the problem. The majority of kewl idiots that come here, wouldn't bother to read something like, say, the rules. And they would probably give up relatively quickly and just leave when they can't register with their free email provider. So, the idea is to create a specific identifier that has to be in the name of a free email account(like <name>RS37@hotmail.com>). Have the script check for that pattern, and if it matches, allow it. Put the pattern in the rules, or some other place that kewls aren't likely to read. By doing this, you filter out the idiots that just come for "h0w t0 mk3 b0mbz!?" and such. Only the people that stay long enough to browse around the forum, even though they think they can't sign up, will actually be able to.

Nihilist
June 8th, 2005, 06:52 PM
A friend of mine who I recently told about this forum has had the exact same problem.

Here's an idea that I think may solve the problem. The majority of kewl idiots that come here, wouldn't bother to read something like, say, the rules. And they would probably give up relatively quickly and just leave when they can't register with their free email provider. So, the idea is to create a specific identifier that has to be in the name of a free email account(like <name>RS37@hotmail.com>). Have the script check for that pattern, and if it matches, allow it. Put the pattern in the rules, or some other place that kewls aren't likely to read. By doing this, you filter out the idiots that just come for "h0w t0 mk3 b0mbz!?" and such. Only the people that stay long enough to browse around the forum, even though they think they can't sign up, will actually be able to.

croc
June 9th, 2005, 03:33 AM
That is a very good idea Nihilist lets just hope the mods see it and is put into place.
I have tried to message and email mega but haven’t got an answer probably because he hasn’t been online. I checked to see and found he hasn’t posted for a couple of days. So he might see it soon.

croc
June 9th, 2005, 03:33 AM
That is a very good idea Nihilist lets just hope the mods see it and is put into place.
I have tried to message and email mega but haven’t got an answer probably because he hasn’t been online. I checked to see and found he hasn’t posted for a couple of days. So he might see it soon.

Jacks Complete
June 9th, 2005, 11:27 AM
I'm "invisible" so don't show on the list of users.

The 11000 number can be seen by viewing the memberlist.

I'm wondering where a lot of the mods are these days, too, since ziabatsu hasn't been around for a long time, nor some of the others.

The hidden instruction is quite good. It could just be a code that changed once a day or week, or even just static. However the new moderation of new users slows the rate down a heck of a lot. Just look at how slow BFL is these days!

As for the "server busy" line, we should see less of that now.

Jacks Complete
June 9th, 2005, 11:27 AM
I'm "invisible" so don't show on the list of users.

The 11000 number can be seen by viewing the memberlist.

I'm wondering where a lot of the mods are these days, too, since ziabatsu hasn't been around for a long time, nor some of the others.

The hidden instruction is quite good. It could just be a code that changed once a day or week, or even just static. However the new moderation of new users slows the rate down a heck of a lot. Just look at how slow BFL is these days!

As for the "server busy" line, we should see less of that now.

Cyclonite
June 9th, 2005, 06:39 PM
I signed up with a yahoo account email. Worked fine for me. That was a bit ago.

Cyclonite
June 9th, 2005, 06:39 PM
I signed up with a yahoo account email. Worked fine for me. That was a bit ago.

DirtyDan
June 10th, 2005, 01:03 AM
I liked your idea, Nihilist, but another solution I see that may work just as well and not turn away potentially positive forum members would be to put a short quiz in the sign-up process in which one would be questioned on specifically important pieces from the rules, and maybe shown a quick example of how NOT to post (hehe, I am reminded of that flash video tutorial on how to post :rolleyes: )

How fast is roguesci growing now? Activity has been jumpy with all the downtime, but are member sign-ups still rampant?

DirtyDan
June 10th, 2005, 01:03 AM
I liked your idea, Nihilist, but another solution I see that may work just as well and not turn away potentially positive forum members would be to put a short quiz in the sign-up process in which one would be questioned on specifically important pieces from the rules, and maybe shown a quick example of how NOT to post (hehe, I am reminded of that flash video tutorial on how to post :rolleyes: )

How fast is roguesci growing now? Activity has been jumpy with all the downtime, but are member sign-ups still rampant?

Jacks Complete
June 11th, 2005, 03:00 PM
For a list of email places, try looking at www.emailaddresses.com

Jacks Complete
June 11th, 2005, 03:00 PM
For a list of email places, try looking at www.emailaddresses.com

nbk2000
June 13th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Some points for me to clarify:

1) The 11,000+ members is ALL members...EVER...since the Forum began.

This is kinda cheating, since we count even those that have been banned. But it makes us look big. Ask any woman...size matters. ;)

2) Recently, in the stats, I saw that while we had only something like less than 10 members signed in, we had over 200 'guests' (VBulletin-ese for 'Leech'). A 20-to-1 ratio of parasite to possible contributor. :mad:

And people wonder why we're running slow. :rolleyes:

3) The dissappearing mods are a symptom of a larger problem, I'm afraid. This problem extends right to the top with an admin who I haven't heard from in a month.

I'm not talking about posts here, I'm talking about PGP'd proof-of-identity, or phone contact for vocal recognition. His number is disconnected, e-mails ignored, and otherwise just disappeared.

Makes me wonder if Mega has been 'vanished' and replaced by a federal agent who's running the board as a honeypot...

The server was changed about the last time I had any verified contact, I haven't received the new log-in info for the server FTP, all the mods are gone, Anthony (who was paying for the hosting) is MIA, Mega is MIA, WTF?! :confused:

Mega, if you're reading this, you need to get in contact with me, or at least respond to your e-mails, or something.

nbk2000
June 13th, 2005, 01:48 PM

This is kinda cheating, since we count even those that have been banned. But it makes us look big. Ask any woman...size matters. ;)

2) Recently, in the stats, I saw that while we had only something like less than 10 members signed in, we had over 200 'guests' (VBulletin-ese for 'Leech'). A 20-to-1 ratio of parasite to possible contributor. :mad:

And people wonder why we're running slow. :rolleyes:

3) The dissappearing mods are a symptom of a larger problem, I'm afraid. This problem extends right to the top with an admin who I haven't heard from in a month.

I'm not talking about posts here, I'm talking about PGP'd proof-of-identity, or phone contact for vocal recognition. His number is disconnected, e-mails ignored, and otherwise just disappeared.

Makes me wonder if Mega has been 'vanished' and replaced by a federal agent who's running the board as a honeypot...

The server was changed about the last time I had any verified contact, I haven't received the new log-in info for the server FTP, all the mods are gone, Anthony (who was paying for the hosting) is MIA, Mega is MIA, WTF?! :confused:

Mega, if you're reading this, you need to get in contact with me, or at least respond to your e-mails, or something.

Silentnite
June 13th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Well that answers(unfortunately) the question as to whether or not you and Mega are the same person. Unless of course it is you and you stopped talking to yourself for some reason. Or a RTPB for keeping the masses confused. Well done NBK.

Disturbing report nonetheless. One is reminded of Yoda "See grave things in the future I do"...:-(

Silentnite
June 13th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Well that answers(unfortunately) the question as to whether or not you and Mega are the same person. Unless of course it is you and you stopped talking to yourself for some reason. Or a RTPB for keeping the masses confused. Well done NBK.

Disturbing report nonetheless. One is reminded of Yoda "See grave things in the future I do"...:-(

hereno
June 14th, 2005, 12:21 AM

1) Also, once one had to be a member to even get into the forum, thus in effect it was more a "visitor" count then a "member" count.

2) Google spider tends to do that sometimes, I think if you open the whos online thingy it will show when the spider is roaming about.

hereno
June 14th, 2005, 12:21 AM

1) Also, once one had to be a member to even get into the forum, thus in effect it was more a "visitor" count then a "member" count.

2) Google spider tends to do that sometimes, I think if you open the whos online thingy it will show when the spider is roaming about.

Jacks Complete
June 14th, 2005, 03:15 PM
NBK, running this place as a honeypot would not achieve anything. It isn't like we are kiddy pron peddlars or dope fiends or terrorists.

What would the charge be? Reading a website? There's no conspiracy, no plotting - except your ideas for taking over the world (and, to be fair, they would need to talk to you about that, not me!), and there is less violence and bad language here than on TOTSE, Steam or hundreds of other forums. If it is sharing things that could be of use to terrorists, we'd best get the universities and libraries closed, and all those nasty science books burned!

It is worrying, though. We were worried a while back, beginning of March, and Fester contacted me, wondering. But then things came and went for a bit, and then everything went back to very quiet, but normal.

In military terms, a secondary RV might be a good idea. But if we are already compromised... too late!

In fact, and I hate to point this out, you might not even be you. Has anyone with your public key confirmed your key expiration and new public key? I've not got either, so I can't say.

Is it mostly USA/UK members who are MIA?

Jacks Complete
June 14th, 2005, 03:15 PM
NBK, running this place as a honeypot would not achieve anything. It isn't like we are kiddy pron peddlars or dope fiends or terrorists.

What would the charge be? Reading a website? There's no conspiracy, no plotting - except your ideas for taking over the world (and, to be fair, they would need to talk to you about that, not me!), and there is less violence and bad language here than on TOTSE, Steam or hundreds of other forums. If it is sharing things that could be of use to terrorists, we'd best get the universities and libraries closed, and all those nasty science books burned!

It is worrying, though. We were worried a while back, beginning of March, and Fester contacted me, wondering. But then things came and went for a bit, and then everything went back to very quiet, but normal.

In military terms, a secondary RV might be a good idea. But if we are already compromised... too late!

In fact, and I hate to point this out, you might not even be you. Has anyone with your public key confirmed your key expiration and new public key? I've not got either, so I can't say.

Is it mostly USA/UK members who are MIA?

nbk2000
June 16th, 2005, 12:03 PM
And do TOTSE, Steam or hundreds of other forums talk about the things we do (did?) at the level that we do (did?)? I think not.

Sciencemadness is becoming another dope cook forum, so they're out too.

Even if They didn't 'visit' anyone who was a member here (other than staff), it'd still serve the purpose of removing the most advanced discussion forum on the subject of E&W from the internet. :(

Fester can verify my keys, though who's to say Fester is Fester? If there were more people around here, it might not be an issue, but with the seeming disappearence of everyone...

I'm here till they kick down my door, duty and all that, but others may have to start thinking of this place as having been compromised at the highest level. :(

nbk2000
June 16th, 2005, 12:03 PM
And do TOTSE, Steam or hundreds of other forums talk about the things we do (did?) at the level that we do (did?)? I think not.

Sciencemadness is becoming another dope cook forum, so they're out too.

Even if They didn't 'visit' anyone who was a member here (other than staff), it'd still serve the purpose of removing the most advanced discussion forum on the subject of E&W from the internet. :(

Fester can verify my keys, though who's to say Fester is Fester? If there were more people around here, it might not be an issue, but with the seeming disappearence of everyone...

I'm here till they kick down my door, duty and all that, but others may have to start thinking of this place as having been compromised at the highest level. :(

megalomania
June 16th, 2005, 05:55 PM
News of my demise has been greatly exaggerated. Actually my computer suffered a meltdown, quite literally, and kept crashing because of excessive heat. Naturally the local computer lab is under renovation :(

Lets see... I have just disabled the server load system and maximum user limit. Lets see if that works better now for everyone.

I have deleted all those email bans, which I only had on as an experiment. The more troublesome free emails are left. I understand that due to the nature of our discussions the vast majority of members will wish to use free emails rather than with their ISP. As a matter of fact I have never used an email from my ISP, they are too much trouble to set up compared to free email services.

Our member totals are actually quite a bit lower than our lifetime total. I believe there are several thousand additional accounts that have been lost due to data crashes and purges. As to visitors, we consistently get over 500 registred (logged in) members per day, and not necessarily the same people. The number of visitors is much higher.

Yes I am me, and I have confirmed nbk's new key with the old one.

megalomania
June 16th, 2005, 05:55 PM
News of my demise has been greatly exaggerated. Actually my computer suffered a meltdown, quite literally, and kept crashing because of excessive heat. Naturally the local computer lab is under renovation :(

Lets see... I have just disabled the server load system and maximum user limit. Lets see if that works better now for everyone.

I have deleted all those email bans, which I only had on as an experiment. The more troublesome free emails are left. I understand that due to the nature of our discussions the vast majority of members will wish to use free emails rather than with their ISP. As a matter of fact I have never used an email from my ISP, they are too much trouble to set up compared to free email services.

Our member totals are actually quite a bit lower than our lifetime total. I believe there are several thousand additional accounts that have been lost due to data crashes and purges. As to visitors, we consistently get over 500 registred (logged in) members per day, and not necessarily the same people. The number of visitors is much higher.

Yes I am me, and I have confirmed nbk's new key with the old one.

festergrump
June 16th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Mega, glad to see you've not been abducted by the jackboots! It's a concern I think we all have, especially in the here and now of this world. We thugs are of little concern for the masses here but one of our most revered leaders is a concern, indeed... :eek:

NBK, I can most definitely vouch for you and will at any need. Speaking of which: Check your e-mail.

The point about "who's to say Fester is Fester" is certainly true, though. I fear very few can verify my identity from other than a PGP signature besides yourself, and that is most defintitely a problem which needs addressing.

I truly wish lines of communication (encrypted, of course) would begin to open up more between certain members here, the posting few especially. This needs to happen before it's too late. Remember how hindsight is 20/20...

festergrump
June 16th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Mega, glad to see you've not been abducted by the jackboots! It's a concern I think we all have, especially in the here and now of this world. We thugs are of little concern for the masses here but one of our most revered leaders is a concern, indeed... :eek:

NBK, I can most definitely vouch for you and will at any need. Speaking of which: Check your e-mail.

The point about "who's to say Fester is Fester" is certainly true, though. I fear very few can verify my identity from other than a PGP signature besides yourself, and that is most defintitely a problem which needs addressing.

I truly wish lines of communication (encrypted, of course) would begin to open up more between certain members here, the posting few especially. This needs to happen before it's too late. Remember how hindsight is 20/20...

Chris The Great
June 18th, 2005, 05:35 AM

I often don't login when not using my computer, so just because they're guests doesn't necessarily mean that they're all a bunch of leaches/non-members. This is usually what I do at school, I don't trust the network (government network, no less) to login over it.

Chris The Great
June 18th, 2005, 05:35 AM

I often don't login when not using my computer, so just because they're guests doesn't necessarily mean that they're all a bunch of leaches/non-members. This is usually what I do at school, I don't trust the network (government network, no less) to login over it.

nbk2000
June 18th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Yes I am me...

Any JBT would say that, but where's the proof?

If you're able to verify my new PGP key, then you'd have the ability to sign a message with Mega's key, eh?

So where is the signed proof? And, while you're at it, a phone number so I can call and voice verify who I'm talking to.

BTW, here's my old key.

http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showpost.php?p=63223&postcount=98

nbk2000
June 18th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Yes I am me...

Any JBT would say that, but where's the proof?

If you're able to verify my new PGP key, then you'd have the ability to sign a message with Mega's key, eh?

So where is the signed proof? And, while you're at it, a phone number so I can call and voice verify who I'm talking to.

BTW, here's my old key.

http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showpost.php?p=63223&postcount=98