View Full Version : A Use for the Self-Decrypting PGP Utility

nbk2000
June 13th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Since I walk everywhere, and have to use library computers at the moment, that means that I'm using floppy disks to take my pre-composed topics to the library too.

Now this wouldn't normally be a problem, except for the fact that I'm constantly being stopped by the local piggies for walking the shortest route to the library, which means a freeway shoulder.

They tell me to walk on a side street that takes me literally miles out of the way to go in a big loop to get to where I'm going.

Obviously I'm not going to do that! :p

But then it also occured to me that they might actually try arresting me for do so.

Hmmm...imagine a piggie popping one of my floppy disks into their computer and finding one of my mental nuggets on mass extermination...not good (for me!).

Even though they likely couldn't do anything about it (freedom of speech and all that), it could bring undesired attention upon me or the forum. Double plus ungood!

So I tested it out, and found that I can run the PGP SDA (Self-Decrypting Archive) from the floppy, and extract the files to a directory on the library computer. :)

This isn't supposed to be possible, but I found a security flaw (my talent), and have been mercilessly exploiting it. Their machines are OWNED! ;)

So now, if the piggies arrest me while going to the library, the only thing they'll find on my floppies is a PGP SDA file, and nothing else, as I do the 'Format and Freespace Wipe' routine on the floppies prior to going, every time.

Unfortunately, the program that creates these is not a standalone component of PGP, so I can't encrypt files I download at the library, prior to returning home, so I'm still partially exposed. :(

Anyone know of a small encrypting program that can be run on an XP system, something small enough to fit on a floppy and run from there, without taking up the whole disk? If it's like a couple hundred Kb, that'd be great.

Since the computer will only save web-files to the floppy drive, I would leave a floppy permanently hidden at the library as a swap disk, saving files to this floppy, then using the encryptor to encrypt them, saving them to a directory on the library computer, and then copying these encrypted files onto one of the floppies that I actually carry around.

By doing this, there'd be no unencrypted text on the floppies file slack or freespace like there would likely be if I just encrypted the files on the same floppy I saved them on, as well as not having use of the floppy's full capacity.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who uses library computers and floppy disks, so this problem needs a full solution, to protect Forumites from piggy snooping.

nbk2000
June 13th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Since I walk everywhere, and have to use library computers at the moment, that means that I'm using floppy disks to take my pre-composed topics to the library too.

Now this wouldn't normally be a problem, except for the fact that I'm constantly being stopped by the local piggies for walking the shortest route to the library, which means a freeway shoulder.

They tell me to walk on a side street that takes me literally miles out of the way to go in a big loop to get to where I'm going.

Obviously I'm not going to do that! :p

But then it also occured to me that they might actually try arresting me for do so.

Hmmm...imagine a piggie popping one of my floppy disks into their computer and finding one of my mental nuggets on mass extermination...not good (for me!).

Even though they likely couldn't do anything about it (freedom of speech and all that), it could bring undesired attention upon me or the forum. Double plus ungood!

So I tested it out, and found that I can run the PGP SDA (Self-Decrypting Archive) from the floppy, and extract the files to a directory on the library computer. :)

This isn't supposed to be possible, but I found a security flaw (my talent), and have been mercilessly exploiting it. Their machines are OWNED! ;)

So now, if the piggies arrest me while going to the library, the only thing they'll find on my floppies is a PGP SDA file, and nothing else, as I do the 'Format and Freespace Wipe' routine on the floppies prior to going, every time.

Unfortunately, the program that creates these is not a standalone component of PGP, so I can't encrypt files I download at the library, prior to returning home, so I'm still partially exposed. :(

Anyone know of a small encrypting program that can be run on an XP system, something small enough to fit on a floppy and run from there, without taking up the whole disk? If it's like a couple hundred Kb, that'd be great.

Since the computer will only save web-files to the floppy drive, I would leave a floppy permanently hidden at the library as a swap disk, saving files to this floppy, then using the encryptor to encrypt them, saving them to a directory on the library computer, and then copying these encrypted files onto one of the floppies that I actually carry around.

By doing this, there'd be no unencrypted text on the floppies file slack or freespace like there would likely be if I just encrypted the files on the same floppy I saved them on, as well as not having use of the floppy's full capacity.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who uses library computers and floppy disks, so this problem needs a full solution, to protect Forumites from piggy snooping.

Jacks Complete
June 13th, 2005, 12:58 PM
GnuPG is 1406Kb, as the installer, but the actual GPG exe is only 824Kb. Of course, the issue with this is that you have to carry your public and private key with you, as well.

You might be better off with one of the compression utils that simply lets you lock the files down smaller with a standard password.

If you stash the disk with your public key and the exe on it at the library, and keep your private key with you, it shouldn't be an issue, though.

Jacks Complete
June 13th, 2005, 12:58 PM
GnuPG is 1406Kb, as the installer, but the actual GPG exe is only 824Kb. Of course, the issue with this is that you have to carry your public and private key with you, as well.

You might be better off with one of the compression utils that simply lets you lock the files down smaller with a standard password.

If you stash the disk with your public key and the exe on it at the library, and keep your private key with you, it shouldn't be an issue, though.

megalomania
June 16th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Can you use a portable USB keychain drive on those computers? I got a 64 MB one for free that I use to shuttle files from the library and back.

megalomania
June 16th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Can you use a portable USB keychain drive on those computers? I got a 64 MB one for free that I use to shuttle files from the library and back.

Skean Dhu
June 17th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Some of them even come with a mild encryption program, I have a 128MB one that has a program called disksafe on it.
While it would only prove to be a minor delay to a JBT, I think the average pig would just hassle you for the password and eventually release you. Also disksafe wipes the flashdisk if you put the incorrect password in too many times(3-5 can't remember which).
I think Mega has the solution you are looking for

The only thing you might need to carry a floppy around for is if you intend to use it on a computer that dosen't have XP on it, in which case you have the driver on the the floppy and install from there. These disks can hold as much as 4GB if your willing to shell ou the cash

Skean Dhu
June 17th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Some of them even come with a mild encryption program, I have a 128MB one that has a program called disksafe on it.
While it would only prove to be a minor delay to a JBT, I think the average pig would just hassle you for the password and eventually release you. Also disksafe wipes the flashdisk if you put the incorrect password in too many times(3-5 can't remember which).
I think Mega has the solution you are looking for

The only thing you might need to carry a floppy around for is if you intend to use it on a computer that dosen't have XP on it, in which case you have the driver on the the floppy and install from there. These disks can hold as much as 4GB if your willing to shell ou the cash

Silentnite
June 17th, 2005, 05:33 PM
I've seen several USB key's that are fingerprint activated.

Silentnite
June 17th, 2005, 05:33 PM
I've seen several USB key's that are fingerprint activated.

nbk2000
June 18th, 2005, 05:25 PM
And if the the USB on the library computer was working, I'd use my ZIP drive, but it's not, so I don't.

nbk2000
June 18th, 2005, 05:25 PM
And if the the USB on the library computer was working, I'd use my ZIP drive, but it's not, so I don't.