View Full Version : 07/04/05

tom haggen
June 20th, 2005, 02:54 AM
Everyone's favorite holiday is just around the corner again. I could almost consider the holiday my very own Christmas. American forumites can light of all the stuff they want without drawing too much attention to themselves. I was just wonder what everyone had planned for the fourth. I've been debating on what I’m going to do, and I keep finding myself overly paranoid.

tom haggen
June 20th, 2005, 02:54 AM
Everyone's favorite holiday is just around the corner again. I could almost consider the holiday my very own Christmas. American forumites can light of all the stuff they want without drawing too much attention to themselves. I was just wonder what everyone had planned for the fourth. I've been debating on what I’m going to do, and I keep finding myself overly paranoid.

nbk2000
June 20th, 2005, 11:36 AM
I bought one of everything and tessted them out first, before blowing a big wad on what could turn out to be crap fireworks.

Good thing too, since the majority of them are lame, and higher prices don't mean better quality.

I found the 50 cent roman candles to be better than the $2 ones.

nbk2000
June 20th, 2005, 11:36 AM
I bought one of everything and tessted them out first, before blowing a big wad on what could turn out to be crap fireworks.

Good thing too, since the majority of them are lame, and higher prices don't mean better quality.

I found the 50 cent roman candles to be better than the $2 ones.

Silentnite
June 20th, 2005, 01:09 PM
My area has long been known for its fireworks. It ought to be eventful around here. Everyone in our neighborhood apparently makes a trip down to Ohio, and brings back some awesome mortars. The the cops confiscate what they can and set them off themselves. Irregardless we get a good show, and me and my family have bottle rocket wars. We each sit in a corner of the yard with a brick or two of BR's and aim at each other. No dodging either.

I can't wait.

EDIT: *to the theme of SHR* I learned my definition of Irregardless from several dictionaries, to the tune of the way I usually use it. So yes, technically it is wrong, but as most people don't know the difference... It gets my point across to the majority. Plus its a fun word to say. :D :cool: :p

Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

adv : regardless; a combination of irrespective and regardless sometimes used humorously You may now resume your regular browsing.

Silentnite
June 20th, 2005, 01:09 PM
My area has long been known for its fireworks. It ought to be eventful around here. Everyone in our neighborhood apparently makes a trip down to Ohio, and brings back some awesome mortars. The the cops confiscate what they can and set them off themselves. Irregardless we get a good show, and me and my family have bottle rocket wars. We each sit in a corner of the yard with a brick or two of BR's and aim at each other. No dodging either.

I can't wait.

EDIT: *to the theme of SHR* I learned my definition of Irregardless from several dictionaries, to the tune of the way I usually use it. So yes, technically it is wrong, but as most people don't know the difference... It gets my point across to the majority. Plus its a fun word to say. :D :cool: :p

Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

adv : regardless; a combination of irrespective and regardless sometimes used humorously You may now resume your regular browsing.

Skean Dhu
June 20th, 2005, 09:28 PM
I'm going to this store a bit out of my way, that has buy one get one free all year round, no limits on products. I'll probably buy a case of bottle rockets, some single use mortars, some relodables, and a pack or two of roman candles. Then I'm driving outta state to a family picnic where its legal for out of staters to launch stuff. Its gonna be a magical evening...

I might mix up a batch of AP when my town has their fireworks and set it off so it will be ignored in the hub-bub . I think I shall peruse their web page now and plan my course of action.

p.s.: irregardless means with regard, since the ir- prefix and -less suffix are both negative they cancel out. *hums school house rock music*

Skean Dhu
June 20th, 2005, 09:28 PM
I'm going to this store a bit out of my way, that has buy one get one free all year round, no limits on products. I'll probably buy a case of bottle rockets, some single use mortars, some relodables, and a pack or two of roman candles. Then I'm driving outta state to a family picnic where its legal for out of staters to launch stuff. Its gonna be a magical evening...

I might mix up a batch of AP when my town has their fireworks and set it off so it will be ignored in the hub-bub . I think I shall peruse their web page now and plan my course of action.

p.s.: irregardless means with regard, since the ir- prefix and -less suffix are both negative they cancel out. *hums school house rock music*

tom haggen
June 20th, 2005, 11:24 PM
I was thinking about taking some shitty fountains and cutting the tops off, and hollowing the bottom out and sticking a charge in there, then super gluing the top back on. That way if I get pulled over it will look like some gay inconspicuous firework.

tom haggen
June 20th, 2005, 11:24 PM
I was thinking about taking some shitty fountains and cutting the tops off, and hollowing the bottom out and sticking a charge in there, then super gluing the top back on. That way if I get pulled over it will look like some gay inconspicuous firework.

Third_Rail
June 24th, 2005, 02:03 AM
I will be having some fun here in MA with my H&K signal launcher and some assorted flares, both launched and roadflares.

Boring, as they're not explosive, but a bit of fun without breaking any laws.

Third_Rail
June 24th, 2005, 02:03 AM
I will be having some fun here in MA with my H&K signal launcher and some assorted flares, both launched and roadflares.

Boring, as they're not explosive, but a bit of fun without breaking any laws.

megalomania
June 27th, 2005, 04:13 PM
I have been scanning the mail for coupons. All fireworks places are overpriced, but they all eventually come out with buy one get one free deals. I always end up spending way too much when I go in, but fireworks are oh so fun! A brick of firecrackers and little bottle rockets can last you a very long time for how many you get and what they cost. Those actually get boring after awhile. I just pack them away for next year. I love those morters and big rockets. They are pricy, but that's where the best fun is. Sometimes they have an assortment pack of rockets that are usually priced better than getting the same items individually. Combine that with buy one get one and you have yourself a nice summer arsenal.

I really want to get ahold of one of those professional class mortars. My favorite are the ones that make a very loud boom and flash of white light. I think a few of those fired off at 4 AM will get some peoples attention :)

megalomania
June 27th, 2005, 04:13 PM
I have been scanning the mail for coupons. All fireworks places are overpriced, but they all eventually come out with buy one get one free deals. I always end up spending way too much when I go in, but fireworks are oh so fun! A brick of firecrackers and little bottle rockets can last you a very long time for how many you get and what they cost. Those actually get boring after awhile. I just pack them away for next year. I love those morters and big rockets. They are pricy, but that's where the best fun is. Sometimes they have an assortment pack of rockets that are usually priced better than getting the same items individually. Combine that with buy one get one and you have yourself a nice summer arsenal.

I really want to get ahold of one of those professional class mortars. My favorite are the ones that make a very loud boom and flash of white light. I think a few of those fired off at 4 AM will get some peoples attention :)

tom haggen
June 28th, 2005, 12:08 AM
I have to say that morters are definitely my favorite type of fireworks. It’s nice to be able to have some really loud home made noise makers, but everyone knows HE's sound like shit compared to solutes. Still, they are much louder than any thing you can get in Oregon because noise makers and aerials are completely illegal here. On top of that, the closest drive "Washington" has their fireworks ridiculously over priced. I here stories of people going to the Indian reservations, but I'm not that crafty so I plan on trying to find a good buy on morters somewhere in Washington. I might get one or two roman candles but other than that I will just stick to home made noise makers.

tom haggen
June 28th, 2005, 12:08 AM
I have to say that morters are definitely my favorite type of fireworks. It’s nice to be able to have some really loud home made noise makers, but everyone knows HE's sound like shit compared to solutes. Still, they are much louder than any thing you can get in Oregon because noise makers and aerials are completely illegal here. On top of that, the closest drive "Washington" has their fireworks ridiculously over priced. I here stories of people going to the Indian reservations, but I'm not that crafty so I plan on trying to find a good buy on morters somewhere in Washington. I might get one or two roman candles but other than that I will just stick to home made noise makers.

megalomania
June 28th, 2005, 12:52 AM
I just got back from the fireworks store today. There was a new one I wanted to check out that is not all that far away. Well I completly blew my budget! I must have spent nearly $300. At that price I got some free gifts, one of which was a big ass morter that I just dreamed I lit off in the back yard of some relatives. They said "it's after 11, someone might call the cops" to which I replied "it's illegal anyway, what does it matter?" I assured them it would just make some pretty sparks. We all know an 18" morter tube is nice n' quiet right? The boom was quite earth shattering :D

Then I woke up from that dream. My fireworks will be promptly whisked out of state to another locale that allows fireworks. Yeah, that's what I'm going to do :rolleyes:

megalomania
June 28th, 2005, 12:52 AM
I just got back from the fireworks store today. There was a new one I wanted to check out that is not all that far away. Well I completly blew my budget! I must have spent nearly $300. At that price I got some free gifts, one of which was a big ass morter that I just dreamed I lit off in the back yard of some relatives. They said "it's after 11, someone might call the cops" to which I replied "it's illegal anyway, what does it matter?" I assured them it would just make some pretty sparks. We all know an 18" morter tube is nice n' quiet right? The boom was quite earth shattering :D

Then I woke up from that dream. My fireworks will be promptly whisked out of state to another locale that allows fireworks. Yeah, that's what I'm going to do :rolleyes:

nbk2000
July 1st, 2005, 02:20 PM
This is the perfect time of the year for city-bound pyros to test some small HE devices, as everyone will just assume a loud boom at night to someone setting off a salute, and not a bomb. ;)

The last 4th here sounded like Sarejevo, so many things went unnoticed in the background roar. :)

I've found the most fun fireworks to be the helicopters that are all plastic. The top unscrews, and you remove the annoying stars and replace them with a huge ass amount of AP topped with crackling bits taken from another fireworks. Up it goes.....BOOM! and a cloud of crackling stars. :D

If you cut off the wings, it buzzes around on the ground like crazy before exploding in a cloud of sparks.

Remember folks, the best fireworks are the ones you modify yourself. :p

nbk2000
July 1st, 2005, 02:20 PM
This is the perfect time of the year for city-bound pyros to test some small HE devices, as everyone will just assume a loud boom at night to someone setting off a salute, and not a bomb. ;)

The last 4th here sounded like Sarejevo, so many things went unnoticed in the background roar. :)

I've found the most fun fireworks to be the helicopters that are all plastic. The top unscrews, and you remove the annoying stars and replace them with a huge ass amount of AP topped with crackling bits taken from another fireworks. Up it goes.....BOOM! and a cloud of crackling stars. :D

If you cut off the wings, it buzzes around on the ground like crazy before exploding in a cloud of sparks.

Remember folks, the best fireworks are the ones you modify yourself. :p

xyz
July 3rd, 2005, 11:38 AM
I'm very surprised that your AP filled helicopters are able to ignite the crackling bits at all. I'd have expected them to simply be blown apart with no lighting of anything.

On many occasions I have tried to ignite petrol vapour or other flammable substances using AP, and on every one of those occasions it has not worked.

Now if the AP was deflagrating it might be a different story, but you say you use "a huge ass amount".

I'm wondering if you add anything to prevent detonation from occuring (causing deflagration only, enabling AP to ignite things) or to somehow raise the detonation temperature of AP to allow it to ignite things. E.g. are you sure you're not putting Al powder in there?

xyz
July 3rd, 2005, 11:38 AM
I'm very surprised that your AP filled helicopters are able to ignite the crackling bits at all. I'd have expected them to simply be blown apart with no lighting of anything.

On many occasions I have tried to ignite petrol vapour or other flammable substances using AP, and on every one of those occasions it has not worked.

Now if the AP was deflagrating it might be a different story, but you say you use "a huge ass amount".

I'm wondering if you add anything to prevent detonation from occuring (causing deflagration only, enabling AP to ignite things) or to somehow raise the detonation temperature of AP to allow it to ignite things. E.g. are you sure you're not putting Al powder in there?

Jacks Complete
July 4th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Wouldn't the AP and the crackling bits both be initiated by the same flame from the firework below? Hence it would work fine, as it does.

p.s. Happy Fourth! Big comet explosion night!

Jacks Complete
July 4th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Wouldn't the AP and the crackling bits both be initiated by the same flame from the firework below? Hence it would work fine, as it does.

p.s. Happy Fourth! Big comet explosion night!

xyz
July 6th, 2005, 12:39 AM
I think you'll find that as soon as the AP is initiated it will tend to blow out anything in the vicinity, including incendiarys that are normally almost impossible to extinguish. Really just like the usage of large HE charges to extinguish the giant gas fires that can sometimes occur at oil wells, only on a much smaller scale.

Also notice that NBK said that the AP was "topped" with crackling bits, implying that the crackling bits were seperated from the firework below by the AP. Hence, no flame contact to ignite them before the AP detonates.

Not trying to argue with you Jack, just find NBK's post quite confusing and would like to know more.

xyz
July 6th, 2005, 12:39 AM
I think you'll find that as soon as the AP is initiated it will tend to blow out anything in the vicinity, including incendiarys that are normally almost impossible to extinguish. Really just like the usage of large HE charges to extinguish the giant gas fires that can sometimes occur at oil wells, only on a much smaller scale.

Also notice that NBK said that the AP was "topped" with crackling bits, implying that the crackling bits were seperated from the firework below by the AP. Hence, no flame contact to ignite them before the AP detonates.

Not trying to argue with you Jack, just find NBK's post quite confusing and would like to know more.

nbk2000
July 6th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Remove the stars, pour in the crackling bits, put a piece of tissue paper over the crackling bits, pack in the AP, and screw on the cover.

Flame from the engine ignites crackling bits, which ignites AP, which blows apart helicopter and scatters crackling bits. :)

Now that the holiday is over, I'm surprised no Joe Jihadi's blew up a fireworks stand.

How hard would it be for a Jihadi to build a few dozen delay pencils and go around sticking them in boxes of fireworks in various stands around town?

Or a shaped charge with a pyrotechnic liner placed on the trailers full of fireworks parked behind these places? BOOM!

Over the course of the next few hours, many large fires erupt across the town, scaring the shit out of the sheep, causing a Red Alert across the country.

Fireworks stands across the country begin searching potential costumers, or just shutting down, or requiring large police presence, diverting them from crimes being committed elsewhere.

Pols demand that these 'Potential Bombs!' be banned from being anywhere in their city, making fireworks a thing of the past.

Now, when people think of freedom on the fourth, they'll have to remember that they no longer have the freedom to celebrate it with fireworks.

Joe Jihadi laughs! :p

nbk2000
July 6th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Remove the stars, pour in the crackling bits, put a piece of tissue paper over the crackling bits, pack in the AP, and screw on the cover.

Flame from the engine ignites crackling bits, which ignites AP, which blows apart helicopter and scatters crackling bits. :)

Now that the holiday is over, I'm surprised no Joe Jihadi's blew up a fireworks stand.

How hard would it be for a Jihadi to build a few dozen delay pencils and go around sticking them in boxes of fireworks in various stands around town?

Or a shaped charge with a pyrotechnic liner placed on the trailers full of fireworks parked behind these places? BOOM!

Over the course of the next few hours, many large fires erupt across the town, scaring the shit out of the sheep, causing a Red Alert across the country.

Fireworks stands across the country begin searching potential costumers, or just shutting down, or requiring large police presence, diverting them from crimes being committed elsewhere.

Pols demand that these 'Potential Bombs!' be banned from being anywhere in their city, making fireworks a thing of the past.

Now, when people think of freedom on the fourth, they'll have to remember that they no longer have the freedom to celebrate it with fireworks.

Joe Jihadi laughs! :p

tom haggen
July 6th, 2005, 09:41 PM
This was the shittiest forth of July I have had in years. First off, I had some beautiful white nitric acid, then like a dumb ass I added finely powdered hexamine to it trying to synthesize RDX. Then what happened? A run away reaction occurred. Long story short nothing formed. After that, in a desperate attempt to have something that goes boom, I tried to make some AP in time for the fourth. I couldn't even get any thing to form. I was irate. To top it all off, I had to fucking work because the Mexicans don't celebrate anything at my work so my holiday was completely un-American. Fuck it, I will just have to be ready months in advance next year.

tom haggen
July 6th, 2005, 09:41 PM
This was the shittiest forth of July I have had in years. First off, I had some beautiful white nitric acid, then like a dumb ass I added finely powdered hexamine to it trying to synthesize RDX. Then what happened? A run away reaction occurred. Long story short nothing formed. After that, in a desperate attempt to have something that goes boom, I tried to make some AP in time for the fourth. I couldn't even get any thing to form. I was irate. To top it all off, I had to fucking work because the Mexicans don't celebrate anything at my work so my holiday was completely un-American. Fuck it, I will just have to be ready months in advance next year.

Chris The Great
July 7th, 2005, 01:48 AM
The sad thing, nbk, is that over here where I live in Canada, people don't even need something like that to happen for them to want to ban fireworks completely. Hooray :(

Currently roman candles and any type of firecracker is banned, and every couple weeks some moron is writing to the newspapers/town council demanding fireworks be completely banned from public sale and use. All because of "the public's safety" of course. :mad:

Strangly, the biological weapons act has not yet been put into force, hence bio weapons are actually legal to have and develope at the moment.

Chris The Great
July 7th, 2005, 01:48 AM
The sad thing, nbk, is that over here where I live in Canada, people don't even need something like that to happen for them to want to ban fireworks completely. Hooray :(

Currently roman candles and any type of firecracker is banned, and every couple weeks some moron is writing to the newspapers/town council demanding fireworks be completely banned from public sale and use. All because of "the public's safety" of course. :mad:

Strangly, the biological weapons act has not yet been put into force, hence bio weapons are actually legal to have and develope at the moment.

Cyclonite
July 15th, 2005, 08:44 PM
I set off a 100g FlashPowder charge.....in a park in the middle of suburbia. That got everyones attention. Thought I should share what my main charge was on the 4th

Cyclonite
July 15th, 2005, 08:44 PM
I set off a 100g FlashPowder charge.....in a park in the middle of suburbia. That got everyones attention. Thought I should share what my main charge was on the 4th

festergrump
July 16th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Better late than never, I thought I'd chime in and give a bit of good news... Georgia has now made certain fireworks legal where they ALL were banned previously. The stipulation is they must not go airborne more than 20 feet. Of course this leaves pretty much nothing of extreme interest left for the true pyro to enjoy... or does it? At least some states are going in favor instead of against. :D

What I expirienced this last 4th was the best display of fireworks by private citizens in years. The new partial relinquishing of the ban gave more freedom to those inclined to cross the state line to Alabama (simply 'Bammer' for those from there) to purchase all the goodies their hearts desired for a full onslaught of fireworks to display at their convenience from home. Of course, a trip to Walmart to cover the 'goodies' in the trunk with fountains and the like is always a good idea, I suppose, but hey!

What NBK describes as Sarajevo would best serve to also describe the spectacle here on the 4th. It was a very nice display. Every direction I turned was filled with airborne pyro delight!

This new fireworks legality in Georgia is just enabling the pyro oriented to unleast their finest on at least on good day a year. (the week prior was filled with airborne spectacles, but you can't blame southerners for getting exited, now, can you?).

Also, the local rednecks here like to make a show of arms when they can't afford the 'goodies' by shooting off every deer rifle/ shotgun/ pistol in their possession as well, but the din was amazing. I was in pyro heaven with the displays and the noise was such a bonus that I got to test out a few homemades that I whipped up without the landsharks (piggies) being drawn to my general vacinity. Christmas in July... =)

The smell of the air was delightful... I was indeed in heaven for a night.

festergrump
July 16th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Better late than never, I thought I'd chime in and give a bit of good news... Georgia has now made certain fireworks legal where they ALL were banned previously. The stipulation is they must not go airborne more than 20 feet. Of course this leaves pretty much nothing of extreme interest left for the true pyro to enjoy... or does it? At least some states are going in favor instead of against. :D

What I expirienced this last 4th was the best display of fireworks by private citizens in years. The new partial relinquishing of the ban gave more freedom to those inclined to cross the state line to Alabama (simply 'Bammer' for those from there) to purchase all the goodies their hearts desired for a full onslaught of fireworks to display at their convenience from home. Of course, a trip to Walmart to cover the 'goodies' in the trunk with fountains and the like is always a good idea, I suppose, but hey!

What NBK describes as Sarajevo would best serve to also describe the spectacle here on the 4th. It was a very nice display. Every direction I turned was filled with airborne pyro delight!

This new fireworks legality in Georgia is just enabling the pyro oriented to unleast their finest on at least on good day a year. (the week prior was filled with airborne spectacles, but you can't blame southerners for getting exited, now, can you?).

Also, the local rednecks here like to make a show of arms when they can't afford the 'goodies' by shooting off every deer rifle/ shotgun/ pistol in their possession as well, but the din was amazing. I was in pyro heaven with the displays and the noise was such a bonus that I got to test out a few homemades that I whipped up without the landsharks (piggies) being drawn to my general vacinity. Christmas in July... =)

The smell of the air was delightful... I was indeed in heaven for a night.

Bert
July 23rd, 2005, 08:15 PM
Finally, time to post...

Glad to see the day was remembered with bonfires and illuminations and fucking great booms by you all.

We shot on the 2nd, 3rd & 4th in SD, WI and MN. I hope our shows helped give some of you cover for your activities. I certainly saw plenty of stuff we didn't light going off during each show, some quite large.

NBK's helicopter upgrades sound nice. It was one of my first projects when I managed to get pyro grade Al in the before times, the long long ago. Many perfectly fine launch vehicles are available and just calling out for a proper heading to replace their anemic CPSC approved ones.

Mega, you want aerial salutes and professional "B" size aerial shells? They're easily enough made- A bit different from HE chemistry, it's more of a craft than a science. I'm sure you would be able to carry it off. For the price of a good selection of the store bought ones, you'd be amazed what you could build from scratch. Takes a bit of time, though.

I admit, with a type 50 license and a magazine full of 1.3, I still go into class "C" stands. My girlfriend laughs her ass off when I buy stuff there...

Bert
July 23rd, 2005, 08:15 PM
Finally, time to post...

Glad to see the day was remembered with bonfires and illuminations and fucking great booms by you all.

We shot on the 2nd, 3rd & 4th in SD, WI and MN. I hope our shows helped give some of you cover for your activities. I certainly saw plenty of stuff we didn't light going off during each show, some quite large.

NBK's helicopter upgrades sound nice. It was one of my first projects when I managed to get pyro grade Al in the before times, the long long ago. Many perfectly fine launch vehicles are available and just calling out for a proper heading to replace their anemic CPSC approved ones.

Mega, you want aerial salutes and professional "B" size aerial shells? They're easily enough made- A bit different from HE chemistry, it's more of a craft than a science. I'm sure you would be able to carry it off. For the price of a good selection of the store bought ones, you'd be amazed what you could build from scratch. Takes a bit of time, though.

I admit, with a type 50 license and a magazine full of 1.3, I still go into class "C" stands. My girlfriend laughs her ass off when I buy stuff there...