View Full Version : Video surveillance

akinrog
July 4th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Dear Friends,
Recently I was tricked and robbed in my office losing a good deal of cash and most importantly IDs (which are pain in the butt to reissue should you lose them :mad: ).
The thieve disguised as a prospective customer tricked my assistant to bring the dect phone to me inside the office and when he is alone he stole all money in the purse of my assistant and my entire wallet.

We called the police and the first thing they asked is if there is a security cam in the office. But there wasn't.

So I decided to convert a webcam into a security survaillance cam by means of a self-developed software which shall shoot a picture every second. But it was a pain in the ass to code motion detection part (which I could not manage to complete).

Anyway, my point is resolution of web cams are quite close to that of normal security cams but the result is not satisfactory. I know those movie created myths (like zooming in a previously recorded tape, etc.) are all scums and fiction. Should I invest big deal of money into a genuine security system or can I make something useful out of ordinary web cam and software I am currently developing? What do you think about it?

akinrog
July 4th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Dear Friends,
Recently I was tricked and robbed in my office losing a good deal of cash and most importantly IDs (which are pain in the butt to reissue should you lose them :mad: ).
The thieve disguised as a prospective customer tricked my assistant to bring the dect phone to me inside the office and when he is alone he stole all money in the purse of my assistant and my entire wallet.

We called the police and the first thing they asked is if there is a security cam in the office. But there wasn't.

So I decided to convert a webcam into a security survaillance cam by means of a self-developed software which shall shoot a picture every second. But it was a pain in the ass to code motion detection part (which I could not manage to complete).

Anyway, my point is resolution of web cams are quite close to that of normal security cams but the result is not satisfactory. I know those movie created myths (like zooming in a previously recorded tape, etc.) are all scums and fiction. Should I invest big deal of money into a genuine security system or can I make something useful out of ordinary web cam and software I am currently developing? What do you think about it?

Ropik
July 5th, 2005, 06:00 AM
I know about one guy who made security camera out of a webcam(sadly, I don't know about software he was using), and insurance companies don't count this as a security camera, so you can't say you have it to achieve a smaller fee. But the cam was functional, I know that much. I know that this information is somewhat vague, but in sum: you can transform a webcam for this job.

Ropik
July 5th, 2005, 06:00 AM
I know about one guy who made security camera out of a webcam(sadly, I don't know about software he was using), and insurance companies don't count this as a security camera, so you can't say you have it to achieve a smaller fee. But the cam was functional, I know that much. I know that this information is somewhat vague, but in sum: you can transform a webcam for this job.

akinrog
July 5th, 2005, 01:31 PM
you can transform a webcam for this job.

I know it functions but what I am trying to get feedback on is availability of better alternatives. I am coding the app by myself so software is no problem. However as I said in my previous post coding motion detection part is a real challenge (up till now, I could not find an efficient way (i.e. algorithm) to solve this problem.

Simply I am scanning the middlemost line of the pic taken and comparing this with the previously scanned line and if there are statistically significant difference between two byte arrays then I simply allow app to shoot picture, otherwise it does not shoot pictures for recording. The cam is always online but shoots pics only when there is a motion in the picture.

I don't care if insurance companies do not count it as a genuine security cam since I have no such insurance (insurance companies are bitches here and receiving a compensation for your damages are nightmare).

I shall have two USB webcams, one is ordinary CMOS cam (inside the office) and other one is a CCD webcam (which I believe is sensitive to near IR spectra) to shoot pictures at the entry of the building by means of a few IR LEDs.

What I am dissappointed about is poor picture quality at a resolution of 640x480 under artificial illumination :(. When daylight is available picture quality is good.

akinrog
July 5th, 2005, 01:31 PM
you can transform a webcam for this job.

I know it functions but what I am trying to get feedback on is availability of better alternatives. I am coding the app by myself so software is no problem. However as I said in my previous post coding motion detection part is a real challenge (up till now, I could not find an efficient way (i.e. algorithm) to solve this problem.

Simply I am scanning the middlemost line of the pic taken and comparing this with the previously scanned line and if there are statistically significant difference between two byte arrays then I simply allow app to shoot picture, otherwise it does not shoot pictures for recording. The cam is always online but shoots pics only when there is a motion in the picture.

I don't care if insurance companies do not count it as a genuine security cam since I have no such insurance (insurance companies are bitches here and receiving a compensation for your damages are nightmare).

I shall have two USB webcams, one is ordinary CMOS cam (inside the office) and other one is a CCD webcam (which I believe is sensitive to near IR spectra) to shoot pictures at the entry of the building by means of a few IR LEDs.

What I am dissappointed about is poor picture quality at a resolution of 640x480 under artificial illumination :(. When daylight is available picture quality is good.

Skean Dhu
July 5th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Would it not be possible to rig one of those 'cheap' motion sensors you can get at the hardware to execute the camera app when it was set off? It might save you a bit of time coding and some hair when it comes time for debugging...just thinking out loud

Skean Dhu
July 5th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Would it not be possible to rig one of those 'cheap' motion sensors you can get at the hardware to execute the camera app when it was set off? It might save you a bit of time coding and some hair when it comes time for debugging...just thinking out loud

FUTI
July 5th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I saw in some complimentary CD a program that states it has a capability to transform a webcam and your computer into a surveilance system with capability to monitor space and even search for motion. Since it was shareware I wasn't interested in installing it to check, but if you wish to try send me a PM with a e_mail to which I can send you a link through yousendit service. That was bad day for you man, f*ck the wallet and the money the assh*le could at least left the ID behind instead leaving you a nightmare with suspicious cops.

FUTI
July 5th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I saw in some complimentary CD a program that states it has a capability to transform a webcam and your computer into a surveilance system with capability to monitor space and even search for motion. Since it was shareware I wasn't interested in installing it to check, but if you wish to try send me a PM with a e_mail to which I can send you a link through yousendit service. That was bad day for you man, f*ck the wallet and the money the assh*le could at least left the ID behind instead leaving you a nightmare with suspicious cops.

festergrump
July 5th, 2005, 04:36 PM
I can appreciate your efforts in using what you have already on hand to make your workspace more secure, but sometimes the better option is to dish out a couple of bucks and do it right from the ground up.

I found a few weatherproof day/night security cameras for a small price at my favorite toolstore. I've even seen them of similar quality but somewhat cheaper in a package deal (with a cheap B+W monitor) at CVS pharmacy a few months back. If you're anything like me, you won't find it hard to find an old VCR and small TV lying around in a closet somewhere.

These have sound capabilties also, which would be nice for hearing the curses and expletives when the intruder springs one of the desk drawer boobytraps you set before you left your workspace! :D Nothing like it, I'm sure. Makes you feel better before you even catch the bastard.

Very sorry to hear of your missing ID's and such. Worth much more than cash IMO...

At any rate, you can find the cheap B+W camera HERE (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47546) . Search the HF site with "security camera" to see the other three they offer.

Good luck in improving the security situation.

festergrump
July 5th, 2005, 04:36 PM
I can appreciate your efforts in using what you have already on hand to make your workspace more secure, but sometimes the better option is to dish out a couple of bucks and do it right from the ground up.

I found a few weatherproof day/night security cameras for a small price at my favorite toolstore. I've even seen them of similar quality but somewhat cheaper in a package deal (with a cheap B+W monitor) at CVS pharmacy a few months back. If you're anything like me, you won't find it hard to find an old VCR and small TV lying around in a closet somewhere.

These have sound capabilties also, which would be nice for hearing the curses and expletives when the intruder springs one of the desk drawer boobytraps you set before you left your workspace! :D Nothing like it, I'm sure. Makes you feel better before you even catch the bastard.

Very sorry to hear of your missing ID's and such. Worth much more than cash IMO...

At any rate, you can find the cheap B+W camera HERE (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47546) . Search the HF site with "security camera" to see the other three they offer.

Good luck in improving the security situation.

akinrog
July 6th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Dear Friends,

I found network cams are more suitable for video surveilance for small businesses. There are even models with built in motion detection firmware, which triggers sending of the shot picture to a FTP server defined.
However since they are all imported items (consequently expensive) and Web cams are more cost effective, I shall opt for ordinary USB web cams.

However, there is a 5 m USB cable limitation for USB devices. It's possible to extend such limit up to 30 m by means of active USB repeaters. But it shall not be cost effective to extend cable length in this fashion.

Due to cable length limitation I shall forget installing a cam at the entry of the building. (In addition it shall be problematic to obtain a permission from building administration for installing a cam at the building's entry.)

akinrog
July 6th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Dear Friends,

I found network cams are more suitable for video surveilance for small businesses. There are even models with built in motion detection firmware, which triggers sending of the shot picture to a FTP server defined.
However since they are all imported items (consequently expensive) and Web cams are more cost effective, I shall opt for ordinary USB web cams.

However, there is a 5 m USB cable limitation for USB devices. It's possible to extend such limit up to 30 m by means of active USB repeaters. But it shall not be cost effective to extend cable length in this fashion.

Due to cable length limitation I shall forget installing a cam at the entry of the building. (In addition it shall be problematic to obtain a permission from building administration for installing a cam at the building's entry.)

nbk2000
July 6th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Video does you no good unless you have a name to attach to the face.

If there were any fingerprints, that'd be a far better ID than any camera.

nbk2000
July 6th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Video does you no good unless you have a name to attach to the face.

If there were any fingerprints, that'd be a far better ID than any camera.

megalomania
July 7th, 2005, 03:31 AM
I bought a USB repeater recently, and you are right, they can be costly for a mere 16 feet. While researching these I found an interesting alternative you may want to try. It is a USB to ethernet adapter. This lets you use ethernet cable, which can go hundreds of feet or more IIRC (maybe miles). These are not the kinds of adapters that allow you to connect an ethernet network to a PC, but rather an adapter that converts USB signels to ethernet allowing it to travel over the cable, and then back into USB signals.

megalomania
July 7th, 2005, 03:31 AM
I bought a USB repeater recently, and you are right, they can be costly for a mere 16 feet. While researching these I found an interesting alternative you may want to try. It is a USB to ethernet adapter. This lets you use ethernet cable, which can go hundreds of feet or more IIRC (maybe miles). These are not the kinds of adapters that allow you to connect an ethernet network to a PC, but rather an adapter that converts USB signels to ethernet allowing it to travel over the cable, and then back into USB signals.

Jacks Complete
July 7th, 2005, 08:56 AM
USB is limited due to the timing gates in the USB data structure. This means that no matter how good the cables are, etc. you are limited to 16 feet without an active hub in the path. Beyond that, the USB device won't connect or behave properly.

The Ethernet repeaters are a good mid-range solution, with the ability to go to 25m, just like standard Ethernet cables, before needing re-timing or a repeater (not sure which is the limit on this, probably the timing)

If you want to go even further, you can get an IP based camera, which will let you plug into the web, and pick up pictures from anywhere. I've posted a few examples on the telesniper thread of IP based security cameras with PTZ.

Another option is to use something like the PVR USB2.0 video capture device, with a lead running the composite video from a cheap camera to that, and recording the input. You would need to write the software for that yourself, though, as it has no security functions.

Along similar lines, have a look for the GuardTec range of cards. They will let you record on time interval and motion detect, with 1, 4, 9 or 16 cameras via a specially made PCI card. The softwares a bit crap, and the motion detection has no options other than area and "sensitivity" based on who knows what, but it's good for the price. Not that great with cheap cameras, though, since the noise causes problems.

Jacks Complete
July 7th, 2005, 08:56 AM
USB is limited due to the timing gates in the USB data structure. This means that no matter how good the cables are, etc. you are limited to 16 feet without an active hub in the path. Beyond that, the USB device won't connect or behave properly.

The Ethernet repeaters are a good mid-range solution, with the ability to go to 25m, just like standard Ethernet cables, before needing re-timing or a repeater (not sure which is the limit on this, probably the timing)

If you want to go even further, you can get an IP based camera, which will let you plug into the web, and pick up pictures from anywhere. I've posted a few examples on the telesniper thread of IP based security cameras with PTZ.

Another option is to use something like the PVR USB2.0 video capture device, with a lead running the composite video from a cheap camera to that, and recording the input. You would need to write the software for that yourself, though, as it has no security functions.

Along similar lines, have a look for the GuardTec range of cards. They will let you record on time interval and motion detect, with 1, 4, 9 or 16 cameras via a specially made PCI card. The softwares a bit crap, and the motion detection has no options other than area and "sensitivity" based on who knows what, but it's good for the price. Not that great with cheap cameras, though, since the noise causes problems.

akinrog
July 8th, 2005, 04:32 AM
Actually I would prefer network (aka IP) camera which does not require any driver (just attach it to a port of network hub, set an IP number for the cam and go). Only thing you need to do is to connect to the specific IP number you set previously and start viewing the live stream or set event triggers of the network cam (like motion detection or alarm triggering, etc.) and receive the acquired picture via a simple FTP app. No need to code complicated software.

But I am a DIY type guy and it's really simple to acquire live stream from any camera like devices (including TV cards) on computer by means of VFW (Video for Windows) interface /API. So I prefer a 1.3 Megapixel USB webcam for security purposes if I could complete this blasted motion detection part (actually I don't have time to code and /or debug that subroutine). A major drawback of webcam approach is relatively narrow viewing angle of the webcams :( and the noise emerging especially under poor illumination conditions.

Alternatively I may purchase a cheap B/W security cam (cf. $100) and attach its video output to my computer's TV card input thereby acquiring live and most importantly B/W stream. And majority of these cheap B/W security cams are sensitive to near IR by means of IR LEDs.

But majority of these cheap suckers lack lenses and the dealer does not tell you so. So when you unpack the gadget you simply have a cam without necessary lenses. :mad:

akinrog
July 8th, 2005, 04:32 AM
Actually I would prefer network (aka IP) camera which does not require any driver (just attach it to a port of network hub, set an IP number for the cam and go). Only thing you need to do is to connect to the specific IP number you set previously and start viewing the live stream or set event triggers of the network cam (like motion detection or alarm triggering, etc.) and receive the acquired picture via a simple FTP app. No need to code complicated software.

But I am a DIY type guy and it's really simple to acquire live stream from any camera like devices (including TV cards) on computer by means of VFW (Video for Windows) interface /API. So I prefer a 1.3 Megapixel USB webcam for security purposes if I could complete this blasted motion detection part (actually I don't have time to code and /or debug that subroutine). A major drawback of webcam approach is relatively narrow viewing angle of the webcams :( and the noise emerging especially under poor illumination conditions.

Alternatively I may purchase a cheap B/W security cam (cf. $100) and attach its video output to my computer's TV card input thereby acquiring live and most importantly B/W stream. And majority of these cheap B/W security cams are sensitive to near IR by means of IR LEDs.

But majority of these cheap suckers lack lenses and the dealer does not tell you so. So when you unpack the gadget you simply have a cam without necessary lenses. :mad:

nbk2000
July 9th, 2005, 12:05 PM
I used a freeware program (all software is free! ;)) called 'Gotcha!', and it has the settable detection zone and motion sensitivity. Used it with a Logitech USB camera, but I think it will work with any video input.

CAT-5e ethernet has a 100 meter limit without repeater. I used that length to hook up my internet when I was living in a motel. They never noticed this blue cable stretching out from their box to a motel across the field. :p

nbk2000
July 9th, 2005, 12:05 PM
I used a freeware program (all software is free! ;)) called 'Gotcha!', and it has the settable detection zone and motion sensitivity. Used it with a Logitech USB camera, but I think it will work with any video input.

CAT-5e ethernet has a 100 meter limit without repeater. I used that length to hook up my internet when I was living in a motel. They never noticed this blue cable stretching out from their box to a motel across the field. :p

Jacks Complete
July 11th, 2005, 08:05 AM
I've just been playing with "Gotcha!" It certainly has far more stability than the software that came with my card. I also tried changing the drivers for the far better one available at http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/

Anyone got a key for it?

I can't get the multicap to work, since it wants a different board for each camera (even thought it's a multiple camera card) but the motion detection is far better, as is the picture quality!! No more frames jumping and making it unuseable! Brilliant!

Jacks Complete
July 11th, 2005, 08:05 AM
I've just been playing with "Gotcha!" It certainly has far more stability than the software that came with my card. I also tried changing the drivers for the far better one available at http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/

Anyone got a key for it?

I can't get the multicap to work, since it wants a different board for each camera (even thought it's a multiple camera card) but the motion detection is far better, as is the picture quality!! No more frames jumping and making it unuseable! Brilliant!

nbk2000
July 11th, 2005, 10:31 AM
A key for Gotcha! or the driver?

I'm assuming Gotcha. Shouldn't there be a keygen available from altalavista or some other warez site?

nbk2000
July 11th, 2005, 10:31 AM
A key for Gotcha! or the driver?

I'm assuming Gotcha. Shouldn't there be a keygen available from altalavista or some other warez site?

Jacks Complete
July 11th, 2005, 08:40 PM
The driver is free, as in money and beer.

Seems there are quite a few places you can get Gotcha! information. Forget I asked.

Jacks Complete
July 11th, 2005, 08:40 PM
The driver is free, as in money and beer.

Seems there are quite a few places you can get Gotcha! information. Forget I asked.

nbk2000
June 28th, 2006, 12:18 AM
A website dedicated to a free video motion program/interface/camera controller

http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome

nbk2000
August 16th, 2006, 11:28 AM
An article on coding efficient motion-detection algorithms:

http://www.codeproject.com/cs/media/Motion_Detection.asp

akinrog
August 17th, 2006, 07:29 PM
An article on coding efficient motion-detection algorithms:

http://www.codeproject.com/cs/media/Motion_Detection.asp

Actually my code is more efficient than this one. This one suggests comparing entire pixels of the image (which needs a lot of computing power, i.e. cpu cycles). My code uses statistical methods to detect motion.

However I liked the filter approach. I believe it's worth of trying of course if I could implement it in object pascal. Regards.