View Full Version : First explosive?

Noct
December 25th, 2001, 01:32 AM
First of all, I posted a question about making black powder several months (maybe 6 or more) ago, but I never followed up on making it.

Since then I have read several books on weapons, explosives, and related subjects.

I am now itching to start trying to make my own, this time I am going to go through with it. I didn't go through with it last time because I got busy and forgot about the project, but this time I really want to do it.

I searched for this subject, but I found nothing, and if it has already been covered let me know and I will delete the topic.

Anyway, the question is what would you recommend as your first explosive to make? Or, would you recommend starting out in the world of explosives and weapons differently, like reading more or learning more about chemistry? I know some about chemistry and explosives, but not nearly as much as most of you.

What was the first explosive you all made? Black powder? Molotov cocktail (I know, not explosive, incendiary, but close enough)? Speaking of molotovs... I was fooling around a couple nights ago, and my attempt at a molotov failed miserably.

This is what I did...
-Filled bottle with gasoline and styrofoam (about 75/25 in weight in hopes that it would keep its "splatter", whereas I would make it 50/50 if I were making napalm itself)
-Jammed a rag down the neck
-Wiped the bottle clean of gasoline
-Lit the rag
-Threw
-Left the area sad that my stupid ass forgot to dip the rag in gasoline... the fire from the rag blew out in mid-air

Anyway, I am gonna try again (but do a better job) in a few days

Also, I have the ingredients for black powder, and I am considering giving it a go.

Sorry for rambling, here is my post in a nutshell:

Experience- a little chemistry, some explosives literature under my belt, and a half-assed attempt at a molotov cocktail (don't worry, some day you too will be an explosives expert as I am)

Question- Where do I go now?

mrloud
December 25th, 2001, 01:44 AM
Start with *real* small amounts of explosive. Learn how it behaves before making quantaties that will take your hand off.
Try to avoid explosives that require highly toxic chemicals or produce toxic chemicals during manufacture.
AP would be a good start.
Remember to use your safety gear at all times (goggles, gloves, long sleeves etc)

If this thread is really about first explosive experiments it shoud be in Miscellaneous.

[This message has been edited by mrloud (edited December 25, 2001).]

Noct
December 25th, 2001, 02:46 AM
I can't move it myself can I?

I figured it would be under low explosives, since that's what I would learn about first. *shrug*

Starting with small amounts is good advice... I will keep that in mind.

AP? I will start researching it.

BrAiNFeVeR
December 25th, 2001, 07:02 AM
Yeah, Ap is a good thing to start with (I started with it too) but you must not forget to keep amount small, especially the first times you make anything new to you (maybe with black powder as an exception).
You'll find the recipe quite easily, there's a thread going on about it right now i think.
Be VERY careful with it, and keep temperatures during the reaction as low as possible, for maximum power and stability.

First do a few small quantity flame tests with diffirent levels of moist in it, to get to know it (use no more then 0.5 gr).

Merry Christmas

------------------
"Mess with me, and you'll end up with a .44 under your chin and your brains on the ceiling"