View Full Version : Rogue Science FTP ftp:204.210.178.212:990

megalomania
July 24th, 2005, 06:14 AM
The (un)Official Rogue Science FTP is back in action! New this time around is SSL, specifically you will ONLY be able to connect to the FTP using your FTP clients SSL/TLS implicit setting. I can only tell you that in CuteFTP under properties (for this FTP site) click the "type" tab and select the protocol from the drop down box as "FTP with TLS/SSL (port 990 - Implicit)." When you first log choose to accept the SSL certificate, thereafter it should send you right through.

DO NOT use the default standard file transfer protocol setting available on your FTP client. You MUST use a SSL setting.

Access is anonymous, no limits on uploads/downloads, max 2 connections per IP, max 25 connections. Uploads are restricted to the default folder, all other subfolders allow only viewing and downloading.

FTP address is 204.210.178.212 port 990 or ftp://204.210.178.212:990 if you want a direct connection, although I doubt the default IE FTP browser will handle the SSL requirement. Please note this is port 990, not 21. Port 990 is specifically for implicit SSL connections.

All uploads are logged, please do not upload dupe files, or crap. Anyone uploading virii, trojans, and the like will get their IP banned from the FTP and The Forum. All exe files will be DELETED on site unless they include a good description of exactly what they are, and preferably they should be in a zip or rar with an nfo file. Rather than risk getting a virus, since all uploaded files are verified before being sent to the subfolders, it is easier to delete an exe if it is unknown.

Please try to limit uploading doc and txt files as these will be converted to PDF. Make life easier and convert them to PDF before you upload them.

If you have multiple files that go together please zip or rar them all together. If you have multiple chapters of a PDF file please try to assemble them together before uploading them. It is preferred that you do NOT include a single PDF file in a zip or rar archive unless it saves a lot of space. The PDF file will just be removed from the archive anyway, so save us some time. This is done to allow local searching of the document (if it is OCR'd), and eventually a searchable index of all PDF files will be made available at The Forum.

Speaking of OCR, if you have a document and it is not OCR'd please make the effort to OCR it before you upload it. It does not have to be perfect, or even proofread at all. All documents uploaded without OCR will get OCR'd anyway by a quick and dirty process, so save us some time. If you have the inclination please do proofread the OCR'd document, everyone will love you for it. For those of you who want to help out the Rogue Science community go ahead and download some of the un-OCR'd documents, OCR them, and proof them. We will love you for it. A list of un-OCR'd documents will be provided shortly.

For anyone running another FTP please PM me. Maybe we can set up a direct transfer of some heavily zipped files to speed up distribution of all this knowledge. I can also arrange to upload some files directly to you using torrents on high-speed T3 connected computers.

megalomania
July 24th, 2005, 06:14 AM
The (un)Official Rogue Science FTP is back in action! New this time around is SSL, specifically you will ONLY be able to connect to the FTP using your FTP clients SSL/TLS implicit setting. I can only tell you that in CuteFTP under properties (for this FTP site) click the "type" tab and select the protocol from the drop down box as "FTP with TLS/SSL (port 990 - Implicit)." When you first log choose to accept the SSL certificate, thereafter it should send you right through.

DO NOT use the default standard file transfer protocol setting available on your FTP client. You MUST use a SSL setting.

Access is anonymous, no limits on uploads/downloads, max 2 connections per IP, max 25 connections. Uploads are restricted to the default folder, all other subfolders allow only viewing and downloading.

FTP address is 204.210.178.212 port 990 or ftp://204.210.178.212:990 if you want a direct connection, although I doubt the default IE FTP browser will handle the SSL requirement. Please note this is port 990, not 21. Port 990 is specifically for implicit SSL connections.

All uploads are logged, please do not upload dupe files, or crap. Anyone uploading virii, trojans, and the like will get their IP banned from the FTP and The Forum. All exe files will be DELETED on site unless they include a good description of exactly what they are, and preferably they should be in a zip or rar with an nfo file. Rather than risk getting a virus, since all uploaded files are verified before being sent to the subfolders, it is easier to delete an exe if it is unknown.

Please try to limit uploading doc and txt files as these will be converted to PDF. Make life easier and convert them to PDF before you upload them.

If you have multiple files that go together please zip or rar them all together. If you have multiple chapters of a PDF file please try to assemble them together before uploading them. It is preferred that you do NOT include a single PDF file in a zip or rar archive unless it saves a lot of space. The PDF file will just be removed from the archive anyway, so save us some time. This is done to allow local searching of the document (if it is OCR'd), and eventually a searchable index of all PDF files will be made available at The Forum.

Speaking of OCR, if you have a document and it is not OCR'd please make the effort to OCR it before you upload it. It does not have to be perfect, or even proofread at all. All documents uploaded without OCR will get OCR'd anyway by a quick and dirty process, so save us some time. If you have the inclination please do proofread the OCR'd document, everyone will love you for it. For those of you who want to help out the Rogue Science community go ahead and download some of the un-OCR'd documents, OCR them, and proof them. We will love you for it. A list of un-OCR'd documents will be provided shortly.

For anyone running another FTP please PM me. Maybe we can set up a direct transfer of some heavily zipped files to speed up distribution of all this knowledge. I can also arrange to upload some files directly to you using torrents on high-speed T3 connected computers.

mediumcaliber
July 24th, 2005, 07:01 PM
I don't have a cuteftp crack, and filezilla doesn't specifically mention anything about TLS or implicit secure connection. Is this the same as ftps?
Connecting to ftps://204.210.178.212:990 in filezilla seems to work, except that filezilla seems to use some default 5 character password, which the ftp accepts despite the request for an email address, and the file list cannot be retrieved.

mediumcaliber
July 24th, 2005, 07:01 PM
I don't have a cuteftp crack, and filezilla doesn't specifically mention anything about TLS or implicit secure connection. Is this the same as ftps?
Connecting to ftps://204.210.178.212:990 in filezilla seems to work, except that filezilla seems to use some default 5 character password, which the ftp accepts despite the request for an email address, and the file list cannot be retrieved.

akinrog
July 24th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Sir,
It connects but do not retrieve the directory listing.

akinrog
July 24th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Sir,
It connects but do not retrieve the directory listing.

megalomania
July 25th, 2005, 01:14 AM
What FTP client are you using? You have to be able to request the download of the directory be initiated. CuteFTP can do it, I don't don't know about any other clients.

megalomania
July 25th, 2005, 01:14 AM
What FTP client are you using? You have to be able to request the download of the directory be initiated. CuteFTP can do it, I don't don't know about any other clients.

Davo
July 25th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Sir I'm also experiencing a similar problem, using FileZilla, available at www.sourceforge.net.
It seems to connect ok but won't get a directory listing either - here are the last few commands it displayed if this is any help:

Command: LIST
Response: 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
Response: 426 Data connection closed, transfer aborted.
Error: Could not retrieve directory listing

Is there anywhere I can download cuteFTP? I could try that and see if I get a connection

On a side note I also cannot access the torrents on the forum - I get an error message saying I do not have sufficient privileges to access them

Davo
July 25th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Sir I'm also experiencing a similar problem, using FileZilla, available at www.sourceforge.net.
It seems to connect ok but won't get a directory listing either - here are the last few commands it displayed if this is any help:

Command: LIST
Response: 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
Response: 426 Data connection closed, transfer aborted.
Error: Could not retrieve directory listing

Is there anywhere I can download cuteFTP? I could try that and see if I get a connection

On a side note I also cannot access the torrents on the forum - I get an error message saying I do not have sufficient privileges to access them

teshilo
July 25th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Mega i used alls as you writed ssl connect log as anonym
And this i get.I can download only one file and cannt nothing upload I see only

Reusing the existing connection.
STATUS:> Transferring file "/Improvised Ninja Smoke Devices.pdf"...
COMMAND:> PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (204,210,178,212,18,169)
COMMAND:> TYPE I
200 Type set to I.
COMMAND:> RETR /Improvised Ninja Smoke Devices.pdf
STATUS:> Connecting ftp data socket 204.210.178.212:4777...
ERROR:> Can't connect to remote server. Socket error = #10060.
ERROR:> Failed to establish data socket.
STATUS:> Connecting to ftp server 204.210.178.212:990 (ip = 204.210.178.212)...
220 Serv-U FTP Server v6.1 for WinSock ready...
COMMAND:> USER anonymous
331 User name okay, please send complete E-mail address as password.
COMMAND:> PASS *****
230 User logged in, proceed.
COMMAND:> PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
COMMAND:> FEAT
211-Extension supported
AUTH TLS
SSCN
PBSZ
PROT
CCC
CLNT
MDTM
MDTM YYYYMMDDHHMMSS[+-TZ];filename
SIZE
SITE PSWD;EXEC;SET;INDEX;ZONE;CHMOD;MSG
REST STREAM
XCRC filename;start;end
MODE Z
MLST Type*;Size*;Create;Modify*;Win32.ea*;
211 End
STATUS:> An identical file already exist on your hard drive.
COMMAND:> PROT P
200 PROT command OK. Using private data connection.
227 Entering Passive Mode (204,210,178,212,18,194)
200 Type set to I.
COMMAND:> REST 0
350 Restarting at 0. Send STORE or RETRIEVE.
STATUS:> Connecting ftp data socket 204.210.178.212:4802...
This only This
P/S.small questions file sized 16.75 Mb called spy arms this John Minnery book or that?

teshilo
July 25th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Mega i used alls as you writed ssl connect log as anonym
And this i get.I can download only one file and cannt nothing upload I see only

Reusing the existing connection.
227 Entering Passive Mode (204,210,178,212,18,169)
200 Type set to I.
STATUS:> Connecting ftp data socket 204.210.178.212:4777...
STATUS:> Connecting to ftp server 204.210.178.212:990 (ip = 204.210.178.212)...
211-Extension supported
AUTH TLS
SSCN
PBSZ
PROT
CCC
CLNT
MDTM
SIZE
REST STREAM
XCRC filename;start;end
MODE Z
211 End
STATUS:> An identical file already exist on your hard drive.
COMMAND:> PROT P
200 PROT command OK. Using private data connection.
227 Entering Passive Mode (204,210,178,212,18,194)
200 Type set to I.
STATUS:> Connecting ftp data socket 204.210.178.212:4802...
This only This
P/S.small questions file sized 16.75 Mb called spy arms this John Minnery book or that?

akinrog
July 26th, 2005, 12:52 AM
I'm using FileZilla. I shall try other clients too. Regards

akinrog
July 26th, 2005, 12:52 AM
I'm using FileZilla. I shall try other clients too. Regards

malzraa
July 26th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Stupid question- what user/pass should be used?

malzraa
July 26th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Stupid question- what user/pass should be used?

megalomania
July 27th, 2005, 04:54 AM
username is anonymous and the password should be in the form of an email address (doesn't matter what it is). Any halfway decent FTP client should have an anonymous setting to do this automaticially.

megalomania
July 27th, 2005, 04:54 AM
username is anonymous and the password should be in the form of an email address (doesn't matter what it is). Any halfway decent FTP client should have an anonymous setting to do this automaticially.

mediumcaliber
July 27th, 2005, 05:05 AM
Filezilla doesn't work for me either.
coreftp does not connect.
ftpx does not support SSL/TLS.
WS_FTP is a piece of crap with no way to turn off the "connection wizard," less than good controls, and no log window, and also does not connect.
I just got a trial of cuteftp that does work, but it could not connect.

The failures to connet may be because I just can't connect from here right now (a sporadic problem, maybe some university net goon blocked the IP). Filezilla isn't connecting either at this point. previously, when it did, it would be successful until it tried to get the file list, at which point the data transfer would abort, as reported above.
Since I have no other way of knowing, is the ftp still up?

mediumcaliber
July 27th, 2005, 05:05 AM
Filezilla doesn't work for me either.
coreftp does not connect.
ftpx does not support SSL/TLS.
WS_FTP is a piece of crap with no way to turn off the "connection wizard," less than good controls, and no log window, and also does not connect.
I just got a trial of cuteftp that does work, but it could not connect.

The failures to connet may be because I just can't connect from here right now (a sporadic problem, maybe some university net goon blocked the IP). Filezilla isn't connecting either at this point. previously, when it did, it would be successful until it tried to get the file list, at which point the data transfer would abort, as reported above.
Since I have no other way of knowing, is the ftp still up?

FUTI
July 28th, 2005, 11:18 AM
I can't use port 990 on academic network, home modem connection is hell so this won't work for me. I have a quesiton to ask...I heard that Opera and Firefox will integrate BitTorrent in new release. Is that release already out and did anyone tested it? What is the status of our torrent section? I had a trouble finding good client for BitTorrent so far but this news make me very happy :).

FUTI
July 28th, 2005, 11:18 AM
I can't use port 990 on academic network, home modem connection is hell so this won't work for me. I have a quesiton to ask...I heard that Opera and Firefox will integrate BitTorrent in new release. Is that release already out and did anyone tested it? What is the status of our torrent section? I had a trouble finding good client for BitTorrent so far but this news make me very happy :).

nummi
July 28th, 2005, 12:18 PM
There's only a Opera beta version (Bittorrent technology preview) available. You can download it here:

http://my.opera.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=96020

nummi
July 28th, 2005, 12:18 PM
There's only a Opera beta version (Bittorrent technology preview) available. You can download it here:

http://my.opera.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=96020

thrall
August 25th, 2005, 07:17 AM
It's been 4 days I'm trying with cute FTP and strangely it connets but ALWAYS times out.
The message is below
*** CuteFTP 7.0 - build Mar 10 2005 ***

STATUS:> Connecting to FTP server 204.210.178.212:990 (ip = 204.210.178.212)...
211-Extension supported
AUTH TLS
SSCN
PBSZ
PROT
CCC
CLNT
MDTM
SIZE
REST STREAM
XCRC filename;start;end
MODE Z
211 End
COMMAND:> MODE Z
200 MODE Z ok.
COMMAND:> CWD //204.210.178.212
ERROR:> Timeout (60000 ms) occurred on receiving server response.

And this is consistantly happening.
Whats is the problem. Is it problem on my end or the other end and what the problem can possibly be?
Any help is appricited.

quicksilver
September 1st, 2005, 10:28 PM
It times out occationally on me too. I think it's simply a question of number of users. I can get in early in the AM or at some crazy hours. But not a "dinner time", etc.
However after testing freeware FTP programs that handle implicit SSL I would suggest "COREFTP". It's very fast to set up and it handles certain funtions automatically. Plus it allows for resuming a large transfer so if you get cut off you can recover gracefully. But most importantly when you time out it gives back error codes that can be understood. That's why I believe that it may simply be a question of too many users active at one time. I could be dead wrong here but what happens is that when I upload or download I can see a speed drop (or increase) as time wears on leading me to believe that bandwidth is being taxed. On certain times it's fast and clean.

Davo
September 5th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Has anyone other than Mega actually managed to access and use the FTP? From what I've gathered in this thread he seems to be the only one who can connect. There's also been alot of wierd things happening to the forum recently, such as those explained in "strange experiences logging in" and "forum censored?" thread. Mega could it be anything to do with a software or hosting glitch?

thrall
September 6th, 2005, 02:01 AM
Yes, exactly! Has ANYONE ANYWHERE is successfully accessing FTP? Though I think server is online since it exchanges the keys for secure transfer and then times out. Seems there is some problem in the server side that has some conection with the STRANGE things going on in the forum.

Jacks Complete
September 13th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Yes, exactly! Has ANYONE ANYWHERE is successfully accessing FTP? Though I think server is online since it exchanges the keys for secure transfer and then times out. Seems there is some problem in the server side that has some conection with the STRANGE things going on in the forum.
I've not. And the silence is deafening.

Emc2
September 16th, 2005, 01:06 PM
I tried to connect to this FTP for days and all I get is the following:

STATUS:> Connecting to FTP server 204.210.178.212:990 (ip = 204.210.178.212)...
ERROR:> The connection failed due to an error or timeout.
1) Verify that the destination IP address is correct.
2) Increase the connection timeout threshold under Global Settings | Connection.
3) Switch to the opposite data connection type (PASV or PORT) under Site Settings | Type tab.
4) Verify that the problem is not local by trying to connect to an alternate server.
5) If a server name was used, verify it resolves to the correct address.
6) If using a local server table for server name resolution, check to see that it doesn't resolve to an obsolete address.
7) Try pinging the address.
8) If you are using a router, verify the router is up and running (check by pinging it and then ping an address outside of the router).
9) Do a traceroute to the destination to verify all routers along the connection path are operational.
10) Verify that your subnet mask is setup properly.
11) Verify that your local software or hardware firewall is not blocking outbound connections originating from CuteFTP.

-- Checekd all the above sugestions and got no positive results.

Tried to ping it and there is no answer.

C:\>ping 204.210.178.212:990
Ping request could not find host 204.210.178.212:990. Please check the name and
try again.

C:\>ping 204.210.178.212

Pinging 204.210.178.212 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 204.210.178.212:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Is it still alive at all?

zambozan
September 18th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Hallo,

I had been able to login on the FTP (204.210.178.212) with
CuteFTP 7 Home Edition.
I selected from the menu to create a new FTP connection, selected SSL connection, user = anonymous, pass = e-mail address, set port on 990 (default is 21, so you have to modify this setting) an then connected.
I want also to report which any other FTP client I used wasn't able to login.

meselfs
September 18th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Using SmartFTP, I tried a multitude of connection option. It quickly degraded into monkey-typewriter-bill of rights situation.

FinnBell
September 19th, 2005, 01:19 PM
See what the crap, I did the same exact thing Zambozan did and I still cant connect. I think I've tried every freaking program there is and cant connect, my settings are exactly as Zambozan just said and still nothing.

Jacks Complete
September 28th, 2005, 08:14 PM
It's possible your ISP is blocking traffic on that port. A lot of them do, especially the bigger ones, and it's a pain.

Anyway, I've just run n_map and more over the FTP and got nothing at all back, so it is either down (but I can tell it is still on the internet) or well firewalled. Either way, this implies the use of passive mode.

You need to use the setting "FTPS/Implicit SSL", and the "passive" setting to connect. Obviously port 990 has to be entered too. You will be prompted to accept the SSL certificate, which should say "Rogue Science FTP" (Could someone post what they get?) and you are then connected if you accept it.

Of course, of 6 tries, I only connected twice, and neither time could I raise a listing of the remote directory, but hey...

Now 3 for 11, and still no listing. Weirdly, it failed every time when I dropped *my* firewall, and it always takes an age to actually finish the handshake.

Edit: n_m_a_p seems to be some sort of stopword. If you try to post it, it won't let you, and you get an error that you don't have permission to access the page!

jeremiah
October 1st, 2005, 06:26 PM
Hi everybody,
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post, but I've been here for a long time as a guest, reading and learning from your posts.
I have not been able to connect to the ftp, but that's not a news.
Now I would like to ask a simple question:
Why the directories and shared files are not uploaded on p2p network?
Yes, I found and downloaded "The Explosives" folder with eMule, but what about the others?
This site is full of quotes like: "Upload and share", "Knowledge is Power", "Spread the Knowledge"...
Well, excuse me, as a newbee, but I don't see sharing and I don't see spreading.
Please excuse me if I'm wrong...ftp seems not working, but there are p2p networks arround to upload and share.

LrrpScout
October 6th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Ditto to what Finn said, can't hit it for the life of me........

The_Rsert
March 23rd, 2006, 09:20 AM
I also can't connect... :confused:
I documentated my "experiments" with CuteFTP 7

http://home.arcor.de/gladiorizer/1.jpg
http://home.arcor.de/gladiorizer/2.jpg
http://home.arcor.de/gladiorizer/3.jpg
http://home.arcor.de/gladiorizer/4.jpg

What I'm making wrong??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

akinrog
March 23rd, 2006, 02:40 PM
I also can't connect... :confused:
I documentated my "experiments" with CuteFTP 7
What I'm making wrong??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sirs,

You are answering five month old posts, AFAIK the (un)Official FTP is not operational and Mega works on it.

Regards

KinePak
April 4th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Anyone know when it might be operational again. I have been out of touch with this board for last 3 years due to law school, but that all ends very soon. Also, if anyone has my videos from 2002/2003 of ANFO explosions, I would greatly appreciate if I could get those, my computer crashed and I lost them all.

nastynewt
October 24th, 2006, 11:42 PM
that ftp is a joke. I have tried ws-ftp pro which ive used for many years to connect with no luck......so i download cute still no luck.

Defendu
October 24th, 2006, 11:59 PM
I have tried ws-ftp pro which ive used for many years to connect with no luck

Are you talking about the FTP mentioned in this thread? The one that never worked, as evidenced by the numerous posts stating so?

megalomania
October 25th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Idiot, that FTP is long gone. Jeez. Use tmp's FTP.