View Full Version : The better of the Victorinox tools.

Kamisama
August 21st, 2005, 03:32 PM
Alright, so I'm thinking about buying a S.A.K. (Swiss Army Knife). However, I can't determine which one is really a good deal.

In my idea version of a SAK, a person can use the tool for electronics, mechanical work, picking locks (grinding it down to a pick), killing something, along with a lot of other things.

The thing that gets me though is the concealing of it.

If you look at the SwissChamp (http://www.swissknifeshop.co.uk/swisschamp_xxlt.html):
http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/1124/xltclosed0af.gifhttp://img389.imageshack.us/img389/116/swisschampxlt1qd.jpg
The thing is bulky.

People know what a SAK looks like because it's red and has a lot of metallic grey/silver on the side.
I don't think stabbing someone with a SAK is that easy either because of control. It's short and stubby.

This is why I'm starting to consider the SwissTool.
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/6200/victorinoxbricegeswisstool4xq.jpg

I like it because it can be used as a mechanical tool along with other things.
You could simply keep the pliers up and people would think it's just a basic pliers tool.
You could take out the knife and have a better control using the knife, also.

The swiss army use to recieve a type of aluminum SAK that wasn't red. That way it was somewhat more concealable, unlike red objects that stimulate more attraction to them.

The things missing are the corkscrew which to the expert user might be able to create a hole in wood to guide a screw into it. Along with the scissors which could be replaced by the knife with some work.

With the SwissTool being steel and somewhat strong, you could use it as a bit of a hammer.

I think it's the better tool and MacGyver would trade in his Explorer for it.

I don't think the USB SAK is necessary because it's just for show.
What do all of you think would be the better SAK?

Jacks Complete
August 21st, 2005, 08:24 PM
I've got a Swiss Champ, and very useful it is too! Best toy ever. I also carry a cheap Leatherman clone to replace my real leatherman which I lost.

meselfs
September 19th, 2005, 03:57 PM
I have a Cyber tool. They say it's designed for computer repair, but I disagree.

The main things I look for are, besides the basics, scissors and pliers.
The cyber tool's interchangeable bits are nice too, though once in a while on will fall out while I'm using it and I have to look for it.

When I was buying it (2 summers ago, because a lost the previous one I'd been using for 8 years), I was considering getting one with a saw. I chose not to, and am happy: saws are difficult to sharpen, and cutting tools must be either sharpenable or discardable.

To compensate, I purchased reciprocating saw blades: a wood saw, a metal saw, and a carbide saw. I welded a 1/8" shank onto them, and I keep them in my back pocket along my other 1/8" shank tools (lockpicks, scribes, drills, etc...) in a nylon belt pack I got with my knife. It's very slim, I can hardly feel it; these 1/8" tools fit on a little mandrel. I keep the Swiss knife in my pocket, I hate the obviousness of a belt pack. Due to this (& the saw issue), Swiss champ is out of the question.

I don't like the swiss tool. Am not entirely sure why, I just don't.

I don't like leatherman because it makes a less efficient use of it's tools. Eg, it has a small (plain) screwdriver, a big one, and a combined can/bottle opener. The opener SUCKS, my dad has one of these and ever time he tries to open a can he ends up asking my for my swiss tool.

Swiss, on the other hand, has a fat scewdriver/bottle opener, and a small screwdriver/can opener, both of which work great; except that sometimes you need a slim small screwdriver, my torque wrench (back pocket pack) compensates for that.

In summary, I think a medium swiss is best if you have extra tools in another pocket. You don't need to weld like I did: I've seen pencil-like expansion collet holders that can hold flat objects and circular ones alike, so all you need is a grinder to make a saw/lockpick set.

Edit: and now, after many random tries, my post magically goes through.

FUTI
September 20th, 2005, 12:08 PM
I think Swiss Champ is the way better than anything. I have a downgraded clone of SwissTool and I hate it sometime. I looked pretty good when I buy it, but I forget to presume it will become very wobbly in time due to extensive usage. "Monolithic" construction of Swiss Champ can be beaten in that respect as your closed palm around handle and finger to point the tool will fix it enough no matter how loose it become through exploatation time.

nbk2000
September 22nd, 2005, 01:31 PM
I use my Gerber multi-tool several times every day. This model is the one that has the plier jaws that pop out when you flick your wrist. And it's the early version with solide handles, not that faggy skeletonized version they've got now.

I much prefer it to the Leatherman, as I can access all the tools with one hand, unlike the Leatherman.

I never did like the Swiss Army knives (not clones) that I had when I was younger. Too frail. Can't use 'em as a hammer or prybar like a Gerber. :p

Jacks Complete
September 27th, 2005, 04:17 PM
I've been using the Champ for years as a hammer. You use the back face, and it does for an emergency tool.

As regards the saws, I've used the wood blade a few times, and it is horrifically effective. The metal one I don't use, but again, I would if I really needed to.

The (Phillips) screwdriver is amazing. It's better than most of the screwdrivers I have, even the expensive ones.

The little chisel saved me on Friday, when a job would have gone awry - it was only just good enough, but that's all it needs to be, and is still there next time.

I use the belt pouch for the biggest SAK with the compass and stuff too, and carry the champ in it. The biggest is just that bit too big, imo.

Oh, and use social engineering to get past things. I've walked into bars, pubs, court houses (with metal detectors) and police stations with mine on my belt, and not had an issue to date.

And if you do get stopped, it's "only" a Swiss Army Knife.

sdjsdj
October 6th, 2005, 04:48 PM
I own a victorinox locksmith (alas, now discontined) and have found it extremely durable (F****** near indestructible, I should say), with high quality steel blades, really useful tools, good, secure locking mechanism, reassuring weight in a pocket sized gadget and - most importantly - a PAIR OF TWEEZERS. Where would we all be in our day to day lives without a pair of tweezers?

festergrump
October 7th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Well, I'd be walking around with numerous splinters in both my hands, and I'm guessing my nose hair would run right out my nose and join the old moustache... :o

I currently use a medium sized Leatherman which saves my ass every now and then (at least once a week), but the only problem I have with it is it cannot be opened with only one hand very easily, though I somehow manage it in a pinch with the help of my kneecap or shin. I've seen often and used only once the Gerber like NBK uses, and I must say that I'd probably carry that everywhere I go were I to have one. Right now the Leatherman has it's place in a pouch on my tapebelt, and that only straps on me when I'm at the shop. (no, the tweezers aren't integral to it, either). Come to think of it, it's also very hard to get it to hold a good edge on the blade, as well. :(

The Leatherman is to a Gerber what a .22LR is to a .44 mag IMHO... It's a great thing to have when you don't have the real deal.

More handy to me even than anything with pliers and screwdrivers is one of those folding razorblade holders you can get at Home Depot for about ten bucks. NOT the slide-out type box-cutter, though, the folder which resembles a regular folding lockblade. One handed opening (with the thumb lever on the blade holder), never needs sharpening as you simply pop in a new razorblade or flip the old one, locks open just like a Buck, and clips right inside your pocket or on your belt. Gotta love 'em.

NBK's talk of owning several SAKs at an early age made me flashback for a time to when I was about 10 yoa. The folks bought me one of those super bulky Cub Scout folders that had even a fork and spoon attached which folded on the OUTSIDE of the damn thing (what are you supposed to own THREE of these things at a time to enjoy a fricken meal???). When I'd break the impractical and unsightly bastards off a new one would appear in the Christmas stocking later that year. Couldn't ever seem to find the last one I'd modified after the new one appeared, either. Must have owned 5 or more in my youth. Worthless. Anyone remember these things?

All I wanted was a good clip point sheath knife or a Buck... (Santa was a dickhead when it came to cutlery, LOL. Musta found out I sprayed Raid on his cookies one year. DOH!). :D

sdjsdj
October 10th, 2005, 06:23 AM
The Leatherman is to a Gerber what a .22LR is to a .44 mag IMHO... It's a great thing to have when you don't have the real deal.
I don't know, have you seen this?http://www.leatherman.com/products/tools/super-tool-200/default.asp

Certainly looks heavy - duty enough, and the Wave is supposed to be fairly high quality too. A bit expensive though.

festergrump
October 10th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Surely, they're not a BAD thing to have, and I have owned mine for several years... Mine most resembles the "Kick" model minus the lanyard attachment and the comfy looking finger grooves. But when I used a Gerber (forgot which model) I simply fell in love with it. I was very pro-leatherman until then. One day I'll own a Gerber. I've been so impressed with everything they offer from their boot daggers to their kitchen cutlery before, I just cannot see going wrong with a multi tool by them.

I have one of their low-end hunting folders with a camo plastic handle I found at Walmart miss-priced at $5.99. I could care less about the handle being of cheaper quality since it's not really all that bad (I just prefer a wood grip to plastic), but the blade really keeps a fine edge for a long time with little effort. I just had to buy it before someone else did as it was the last one they had there, and when I returned the next day they had set out 3 more at the correct price... $25.99 :(

Flake2m
October 21st, 2005, 06:54 AM
I have a swiss recruit, a ten function tool that to me is worth its weight in gold.
Sure, its only ten funtions, but all I ever seem to use are the knives, can openner and bottle openner.
I seem to use it almost every day and when you attach a small LED keyring light to it, its use becomes even greater, because you can use it in the dark.
The only problem I have with it, is that the blades aren't lockable, however since my SAK isn't a weapon (and hopefully never will be) a lock isn't nessecary.

Jacks Complete
October 22nd, 2005, 08:50 PM
With the Champ, there is a quick way to convert the knife into a knuckleduster.

Open the pliers out, then fold the handle open as far as it will go, then close the pliers back into the body. The resulting triangle is solid, a finger can go between the two arms of the pliers, the thumb wraps round, and the rest of the hand grips the knife solidly.

You can punch a chunk out of cinderblock without trouble.

meselfs
November 1st, 2005, 03:37 PM
I don't think that's a very good idea, because it doens't protect completely, and it's uncomfortable. Also, in that position, the knife is prone to fold back on you.

A better way to use the front end of your fist is to have the little reamer/leather puch protruding through your middle & ring fingers. It won't be in the way of anything, and the knife won't fold back unless you purposely do just the wrong move.

Jacks Complete
November 3rd, 2005, 09:06 PM
I don't think that's a very good idea, because it doens't protect completely, and it's uncomfortable. Also, in that position, the knife is prone to fold back on you.You misunderstand - you aren't using a knife blade, just the pliers. Try it and you will see it isn't dropable, or foldable. It is a very nice 'duster, and gives excellent protection. As I say, you can punch the shit out of a cinderblock wall, and neither your hand nor your SAK will care.

A better way to use the front end of your fist is to have the little reamer/leather puch protruding through your middle & ring fingers. It won't be in the way of anything, and the knife won't fold back unless you purposely do just the wrong move.That method hurts a lot when you hit anything, as the blade tips back and forth. If it closes, it isn't too bad, but flexing backwards, it pinches the skin hard enough to draw blood. Oh, and use the chisel, not the reamer, it's better for a straight punch.