View Full Version : Forum archive

thrall
August 25th, 2005, 07:12 AM
I have been thinking about it since the forum first went down thanks to our DEAR FRIEND iDefence. The forum archive should be made available soon as possible.
In fact a friend of mine ripped the forum soon after it appeared again ( I cant for bandwidth thing) but he got something fucked up and the text was messy.
Recently SM forum has made it archive available. Concidering the possibility of "Empire strikes back" I think an uptodate archive downloadable through HTML should be made available.
opnions?

al93535
August 25th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Very good idea. Then any member could d/l it, and have the invaluable information if anything unfortunate would befall the forum again. I would deffinately want a copy.

borax
August 25th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Thrall, did your friend make any mention of how big the archive was?
Thanks.

FUTI
August 25th, 2005, 03:20 PM
How will archive be made - with some spider program available that people use for ripping other people websites? I don't know is that posible since some pages haven't been open to guests in past (I don't know is it the same now).

How we will achieve to have html based download archive - using reserve web domain/address?

Will it be available just for members and if so, how dificult is to set userID/pswd request before download - I saw that on some e-book download sites so I know it is possible?

I'm trying to be constructive. I guess that mods already working on this, but I have to ask.

Chris The Great
August 25th, 2005, 07:55 PM
If one where to make an archive, it should just be the posts an attachments, the other information is not needed. Although perhaps publically available IMs and emails should be included so that forum members will still be able to communicate if the forum does go down. I'm not sure how one would make this but I assume whoever can access the forum database could just make a *.rar of the needed information, leaving out all the parts for logins, PMs, and all that stuff....
I'm not familiar with the setup of how the forum software stores this information but I wouldn't think this would be inconvienent or difficult. Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken in my assumption.

It could be made a member only download by only having the link viewable when you are logged in. If you are not logged in, you can't see the link, so you can't download it.

thrall
August 26th, 2005, 12:29 AM
Yes Crhis! Those who have access to forum database for them it's a job of not more than an hour. And of course it would be a .rar file viewable to the MEMBERS ONLY unless mods think otherwise.
Spidering the forum is possible(a friend of mine did that) but than one has to go to the depth of 5 or something like that and even than the thigs do get fucked up. He send me the archive and there was ENOUGH information on it.
But if it's made available by the administrator it would be neat and complete. Moreover onece it's made available to the members it would go to the thousand places making it IMPOSSIBLE to take back from circulation and in a sence the forum backup will be on RAID1000......hehe.

TheHitMan
August 26th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Just use a program to download the whole forum. I do it twice a day to eat the sites baud.

Jacks Complete
August 26th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Just use a program to download the whole forum. I do it twice a day to eat the sites baud.
Yes, but you are a right twat who shows nothing but contempt for these boards.

I don't download it for exactly the same reason.

Mega is working on a proper backup system for torrent distribution.