View Full Version : APC gone soft???!!!

me234
October 3rd, 2005, 02:05 AM
Hey, have you guys visited the APC forums lately?
Well if not, go do yourself a favour and visit them:

http://www.apcforum.net/

Here (read 2 lines up) for anyone who doesn't know.
Go and read their He section, particularly the thread about "Changes to the HE section".
I nearly laughed my ass off, then I nearly cried for those poor souls who just don't get it.
I can't believe they're wimping out of the fight like this.
Pisses me off.
Ok, fair enough, who am I to tell them what to do, I do believe in freedom of, well, basically everything, and they can do what they want. But still it's sad to lose another forum to the opinions of the Sheeple public, especially one that does such good work. In pyro I mean, not HE and Our stuff.
So here we have everybody telling each other what a great idea it is to not be like us, and they're congratulating themselves about it, even one member named KBK, who notable makes a post in his own forum to the effect that AP reacts with metals. Second post down I think.

http://kbkforum.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=6;t=41

I may be wrong about this, but I've never had any problem with AP and metal contact, unless he's referring to non-neutralised AP, which could be a different story.
Forgive me for being judgemental, but I have a hard time accepting one's opinion when one gets rudimentary facts mixed up.

I just can't accept the narrow mindedness, the sheer weakness of character that causes them to deny people the right to talk about whatever the fuck they please, simply because they feel a bit uncomfortable about maybe being shut down for a while. We were, and we SURVIVED YOU DICKHEADS. and we're back cooking up even better ideas.
So fuck you Idefens/ce.
And I am so disappointed in you guys there (the ones that agree with this move).

They were even talking about doing something like this when we went down that first time, and I couldn't believe my eyes when I read how cowardly they all were over there. I just wished I had registered so I could let my feelings be known.

Shit, I'm done rambling. For now
P.S. I didn't mean to pick on KBK that much, I was just using him as an example.

xyz
October 4th, 2005, 06:28 AM
SWIM has noticed that AP corrodes steel, even when properly neutralised, but it takes days at least for any noticeable amount of corrosion to occur.

To cut a long story short, according to SWIM, some steel CO2 chargers that had been filled with pressed AP and forgotten about for a week had a noticeable rusting of the edges and reddish discoloration of the thin layer of AP in direct contact with the steel.

SWIM says he has not seen this happen with copper in the same conditions, but does not want to speculate about whther AP would or wouldn't corrode copper given more time.

Jacks Complete
October 4th, 2005, 08:41 AM
It may just be regular rust, as AP is prone to sucking in water.

As to what difference a little rust makes to the AP, I have no clue. Generally metal contamination is bad with explosives, as it increases the sensitivity.

Guerilla
October 4th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Heh, ap is not hygroscopic... AP as an organic peroxide does oxidize most metals, if you mix equal amounts of it and say aluminum powder you see it can happen quite fast too. Though I'd think it's not that severe an issue (as opposed to HMTD whose decomposition is auto catalyzed by all but noble metals) with an aluminum tube where a protective oxide layer is formed to prevent further oxidation (dont see the point to take the risk in the first place though).

As regards to the censoring thing, agreed. It's sad to see how easily so many people are willing to give up. Though from my observations many of these guys who defend the censorship of practical applications... are those who either don't have a chance to practice the hobby in full scale (for locational or whatever reasons) or were never too serious about it in the first place.. and there's nothing bad in that, by no means..but denying this possibility from others is just hypocritical, IMHO. Of course the line of tolerance has got to be drawn somewhere, basics don't need to be discussed again.

I'm glad at least The E&W Forum keeps up the resistance. Though the losses of valuable members for various reasons over the course of time and the current problems The Forum is going through are pretty annoying.. I also think the topics used to be more interesting, more actual discussion on practical applications of e&w and chemistry, less speculation and theorizing..but oh well, maybe it's just me..and a lot of this is due to the fact that so many things have already been covered in earlier discussions, anyway..

al93535
October 6th, 2005, 04:27 AM
I am over at the APC quite a bit. I think its a good thing not talking about "how much ap do I need for..." questions anymore. It gets old. You can still talk quite a bit about explosives. Synthesis, test results, sensitivity, help on issues (non-ap or anxx though), You can post video's and pictures as well. Everyone here sure doesn't like a new thread every week about questions that have already been answered. Plus if you are really into HE's you should be on this board too. The information here is great! Just like for pyro, APC is excellent!

me234
October 12th, 2005, 03:37 AM
I once (stupidly) kept an ~50g charge of 25:75 APPN with a few % Al powder mixed into it for several months, IIRC, in a fridge. There was absolutely no noticeable change with anything over the months. The Al seemed quite happy to be mixed with the AP and left there for as long as the AP didn't evaporate.

Guerilla: what's a noble metal?

al93535: I understand that you guys are a little bit pissed about all your repeated topics, but if you allow the kewls to take advantage of you they're going to. What bugs me is that you guys are doing it, well at least some are, because they are afraid. If you wanted to shift your collective focus back to more pyro applications, that'd be cool man, I'd completely understand that, hell it's downright reasonable. But the impression I'm getting is that the board mods are scared of getting shut down, that's why they want to end all practical discussions, not just the 'how-much-AP-do-I-need-to-kill-my-ex's-dog' questions.
Also, one member, I ca't remember which one said that the APC was more about chemistry. Nothing prsonal, but no. MSDB is chemistry, we're a bit chemistry, you guys are a lot less chem than MSDB, they're basically THE chemistry place. Pyro however is where you guys rule and kick ass. I've yet to see any really chemistry mentioned on the APC, no Molecular Orbital Theory, no plasmoid generation, nothing like what's on the MSDB (or is it SMDB now?).

I just hope I'm wrong and the change isn't actually because of the threat of being shut down.